Bay City Information
 

Bay City Chamber of Commerce & Agriculture

  Bay City For Kids - Young & Old

                  



Courthouse Square

Ira Ingram First Speaker of the Texas House of Representatives
Matagorda County - 1836-1936
Matagorda, C. S. A.

 

Historic Downtown
Austin Building

Bay City Grocery Co. Wholesale and Retail
Bay City Post Office
Bouldin Building
Doubek & Hawkins Hardware & Implements
Ehlert’s Bakery
Fire Bell
Gaines Building
Green Bros. Jewelers "Boney Building"
Groce Parrish/Dependable Motors/Bay City Antique Mall
Henry Rugeley Business House
Huston’s Drug Store
Lewis Building
Matagorda Pharmacy Building
McLendon Building
Original City Hall Building/Fire Station/Municpal Court
Phoenix Laundry/People's Laundry
Rugeley/Jones Hospital/Van Shi House/Inn
Secrest Jewelers
Sisk Hardware
W.F. Tetts Building
Walker Furniture Store and Undertaker's Parlor/Main Street Salon
Wells Fargo Express



 

Bay City Downtown Walking Tour

 


 



National Register Sites
 

Bay City Post Office (Matagorda County Museum)
Hensley-Gusman Home
Southside Residential Historic District - Driving Tour

Holman House

 


Recorded  Texas
Historical Landmarks
Bandstand
Old Bay City Bank
Bay City U. S. O. Building
Hensley-Gusman Home
Holman House
Kilbride-Barkley House
D. P. and Louise Moore House
M. S. and Cora Alice Perry House


 
Texas Historical Markers


 

Bay City Library
Bay City Methodist Church
Bay City Post Office (Matagorda County Museum)
Site Of Early Bay City School
Bethel Baptist Church
Daily Tribune and Matagorda County Tribune
Elliott's Ferry
First Baptist Church of Bay City
First Christian Church of Bay City
First Presbyterian Church of Bay City
Site of Hilliard High School

Holy Cross Catholic Church

Lukefahr School Community
Morton-Salyer Home

Mother Zion Missionary Baptist Church
Philip H. Parker VFW Post No. 2438

M. S. and Cora Alice Perry House

St. Mark's Episcopal Church


 


 



Matagorda County Museum

2100 Avenue F
(979) 245-7502

HOURS
Wed - Sat: 1 pm - 5 pm


La Salle Exhibit               "Our Town" Children's Museum               Mary B. McAllister Ingram Archives

A stop on the La Salle Odyssey                                 Bay City Post Office (Matagorda County Museum)
 



Bay City Public Library

1100 7th Street
(979) 245-6931

HOURS
Mon: Closed
Tue - Thu: 10 am - 7 pm
Fri: 9 am - 5 pm
Sat: 8 am - 1 pm
 


Sargent Branch Library

FM 457
(979) 245-2614

HOURS
Wed: 10 am - 4 pm
Thu - Fri: 1 pm - 6 pm
Sat: 10 am - 2 pm


 


Bay City Cemeteries
 
Eastview Cemetery

Founded 1912
as a section of Cedarvale Cemetery

2401 Block Golden Avenue
28°59'56.00"N      95°57'43.56"W



Cedarvale Cemetery

Founded 1896

Printable Cedarvale Walking Tour
Virtual Cedarvale Walking Tour

2100 Block Golden Avenue
28°59'54.53"N      95°57'51.10"W


 

 

Bay City
Offers Dining
With Historic Businesses in
Historic Buildings




El Zarape

1917 Thirteenth Street          979-245-2097
HOURS: 11am-1:30pm; 5pm-9pm

El Zarape has been serving Mexican food for over fifty years. It is a family-owned business and is now being operated by the younger generation. Vintage pictures of the family and business provide a visual history for patrons to enjoy.
 




Fat Grass
1717 Seventh Street          979-244-7277
HOURS: Sun brunch 11am-3pm
Sun-Tue 11am-10pm; Wed-Fri 11am-Midnight; Sat 11am-1am

The Fat Grass is the third restaurant at this site. Etie Cafe and Confectionery opened here in 1932. The building was owned by the Simon family and family members opened the Conspiracy Restaurant from ____ until ____ when a fire closed the business. The building stood vacant until it was purchased, renovated and opened as the Fat Grass in ______. The restaurant includes three corbelled store fronts one of which provides outside dining. The brick facade was once covered with stucco, but are once again visible.
 




Town Square Restaurant
2125 Avenue G     979-245-4900
HOURS: Mon-Fri 11am-2pm; Sat 11:30am-2pm

This building, another with brick corbelling, was owned by C. Langham in 1903 and V. L. LeTulle in 1906. Brackin Jeweler & Optician was here in 1913. Other businesses occupying the building were Something Special, Lagnippe, and Thyme & Again.


Lisa's Main Street Salon & Coffee Bar
1822 Seventh Street          979-245-0555
HOURS: Tues - Fri 8am-6pm; Sat 8am-12pm
Beauty Salon & Coffee Bar
Designated as a Landmark Building April 20, 1998

This is the last frame structure on the town square and was built in 1901 by William Walker for his furniture store business. Another salon, the Hair House, was located here before the Main Street Salon opened in 1989.
 

 



Health Food Cottage
1840 7th Street        979-245-3833
HOURS: Mon-Fri 9:30am-6pm Sat 9:30am-5pm
Health products, organic foods, with Juice, Smoothie Bar & Deli
Designated as a Landmark Building October 5, 1998

Built in 1913 of red brick as Ehlert's Sanitary Bakery and has come full circle with food once again being served at this location. LeTulle Mercantile occupied the building 1925-1980 before it was remodeled and opened as the Smart Shop dress shop. Sue's Quilt Shop opened here in 1990.




La Casona Bar & Dining
2416 Avenue F          979-245-2449
HOURS:
Sun-Thu10:30am-9:30pm; Fri-Sat 10:30am-10:30pm

The John Corbett home originally stood on this site. The house was demolished and the current building was erected. The Etie family relocated their cafe here after their restaurant on the square was destroyed by fire. Etie's operated here until 1975. The business was purchased and operated by three owners until the third owner closed it. The building deteriorated after standing empty for nine years. It was renovated and opened as Victoria's Mexican Restaurant and later La Casona.




K-2 Steak House
1708 Eighth Street          979-245-6936
HOURS: Mon-Thu 11am-10pm; Fri-Sat 11am-11pm;
Sun 11am-10pm

K-2 is located in a renovated building that once housed the Bay City Food Store. It is decorated inside and out with vintage farm and ranching items and tools. The soup and salad wagon was created from an old Civil War mail cart.
 


 


Shop in Businesses Located in Bay City's Downtown Historic Buildings
 



 




Wild Bill's Western Wear

1708 Sixth Street          979-244-5205
HOURS: Mon-Sat 9am-6pm
Designated as a Landmark Building 2008

The Langham Building was erected in 1904. It has been the home of Butler Grimes, J. C. Penney Company 1929-1978, The Shoe House and currently Wild Bill's. The facade was restored to near original condition. The brick posts in front had been hidden by stucco, but the natural brick was uncovered during the restoration.


 




Bay City Floral
2133 Avenue G          979-245-9492
HOURS: Mon - Fri 8:30am-5:30pm & Sat 8:30am-3:30pm
Flowers and Gifts
Designated as a Landmark Building April 20, 1998

The attractive brick corbelling design draws interest to this building. Korn Wagons & Implements was located here in 1907 and the current building was erected by P. A. McLendon in 1907. Later Klein's Dry Goods Store and Guess 5 and 10 Cent Store (1935-1956) operated here.  Hines Youth Shop (1982-1995) and Sassy Interiors and Gifts have also occupied the building.

 




Apostle Book Store

2145 Avenue G          979-323-9249
HOURS: Tue-Fri 10am-6pm & Sat 10am-3pm
Christian Books & Gifts
Designated as a Landmark Building April 20, 1998

Dr. J. E. Simons and Dr. P. E. Parker with others erected the current building in 1907 as Matagorda Pharmacy. Their offices were upstairs. The pharmacy operated here under different owners for many years. The Mustard Seed was here for many years before moving to its current location. The upper floor was renovated as a private residence and the lower floor was opened as the I Skream Company, an ice cream shop. Another ice cream shop opened there before the Apostle Book Store moved in.
 




Basket Shop and Boutique
1728 Sixth Street          979-943-3363
HOURS: Mon-Fri 10am-6pm; Sat 10am-5pm
Clothing, Jewelry & Gift Items
Designated as a Landmark Building April 20, 1998

The Basket Shop and Boutique moved to the square into the Austin Building which was built in 1908. The facade has a unique design with brick corbelling and arched windows. During the 1920s and 30s, it was the site of the Alcove, a popular teenage hangout, on one side and a book and variety store on the other. Other stores at this location included Newman's Dry Goods 1940-1984, The Light Store in 1985, Threads & Quilts in the 1990s and most recently Amore Memories.
 




Green Bros. Jewelers
2121 Avenue G          979-245-2598
HOURS: Mon-Fri 9:30 am-5:30pm; Sat 9:30am-2pm
Jewelry
Designated as a Landmark Building 2000

Green Bros. is located in the Boney building which was erected by W. O. Boney in 1906. From 1906 until 1942, it was occupied by Stinnett Bros. Confectionery. The Orchid Shop operated there 1934-1978 and Green Bros. has been at this location since 1956.




Mustard Seed

1736 Sixth Street          979-244-4837
HOURS: Mon-Sat 9:30am-5:30pm
Christian Books & Gifts
Designated as a Landmark Building December 12, 2004

This building, with brick corbelling on the facade painted in contrasting maroon and white, dates back to 1907 when Doubek & Hawkins Furniture Store (1907-1915) began its business here. Also at this site were Sisk Hardware (1916-1955), Beall's Department Store (1955-1967) and Brady's of Bay City (1967-2000). The Mustard Seed opened here in 2002.
 




Health Food Cottage
1840 7th Street        979-245-3833
HOURS: Mon-Fri 9:30am-6pm Sat 9:30am-5pm
Health products, organic foods, Juice, Smoothie Bar & Deli
Designated as a Landmark Building October 5, 1998

Built in 1913 of red brick as Ehlert's Sanitary Bakery and has come full circle with food once again being served at this location. LeTulle Mercantile occupied the building 1936-1985 before it was remodeled and opened as the Smart Shop dress shop. Sue's Quilt Shop opened here in 1990.
 




Heart and Home

2140 Avenue F          979-244-2459
HOURS: Mon-Fri 9:30am-5:30pm Sat 9:30am-5pm
Interior design, flowers and gifts
Designated as a Landmark Building April 20, 1998

J. W. Gaines, Jr., the first lawyer in Bay City, erected this brick corbelled building in 1912 and occupied the site until 1917. It was also home to the American Cafe in 1920, the White House Cafe in 1927 and Batten's-The Smart Shop from 1960-1977. Heart and Home opened here in 1991.
 




Bay City Antique Mall
1913 Seventh Street          979-245-4117
HOURS: Tue-Sat 10am-5:30pm
Antiques and Collectables
Designated as a Landmark Building December 5, 1999

This building was erected in 1926 by Robert Poage. Groce-Parrish Wholesale Grocery Company operated here 1927-1944. The business became Groce-Wearden in 1944 and continued on the site until 1950. Dependable Motors opened here 1951-1977. Bay City Antique Mall began business here in 1998.

 


 


Bay City
 

Blessing

Return to Visit Matagorda County

Matagorda Palacios
Cemeteries Churches Homes Markers Museums Lodging Military Restaurants Stores Tours