Bay City Business College


 




Bay City Business College Float - Card dated December 31, 1910
Tennie Mae Benge (back row, third from left) - Married Vance C. Porter in 1922
Photo courtesy of Bobbie Gaspard

 


The charter for the Bay City Business College was filed August 30, 1910. It was formed for the purpose of maintaining and conducting a college for teaching and instruction in all business branches. The first directors were R. M. Gannon, Henry Rugeley, John Sloan, John W. Gaines and M. Thompson. The amount of the capital stock was $500 which was divided into fifty shares of ten dollars each.

Stockholders in addition to the founders were: J. Sutherland, F. Huebner, B. E. Norvell, N. M. Vogelsang, William Cash, R. L. Perry, T. J. Poole, G. M. Magill, W. S. Holman, C. A. Erickson and V. L. LeTulle.

It is believed that the college was located in the Hamilton building and an advertisement stated “Bay City Business College is the only permanent business college in the Mid-Coast section.” The college was still operating in 1913, but it is unknown how long it was open.
 


The Bay City Business College has an excellent faculty and gives thorough courses at moderate rates of tuition and the most liberal terms that we know of. The college is now taking out a new charter under the laws of Texas. Local capital has bought out the Chicago interests that controlled it at first, and now the college will be better than ever.

The Collegeport Chronicle, August 4, 1910
 




Matagorda News, February 28, 1913
 


Bay City Business College

Summer rates good until July 5th:

Three months any course.................................................................$20

Time unlimited, any course...............................................................$25

Combined Commercial and Stenography courses, time unlimited.........40

BAY CITY BUSINESS COLLEGE

Matagorda News & Midcoast Farmer, Matagorda, Texas June 19, 1914
 

 

Copyright 2013 - Present by Carol Sue Gibbs
All rights reserved

Created
Jul. 28, 2013
Updated
Jul. 28, 2013
   

HOME