Bay City School Pictures
 



Located at Avenue D and Eighth Street.
 


Located on the corner of Cottonwood and Eighth Streets.

 


School at Cottonwood and Eighth being moved to be used for the African-American students.
Courtesy of Darlene S. Glenn

 

Old School Building to be Removed.

The board of trustees of the Bay City Independent School District at their last meeting awarded the contract of moving the old frame school building from the present location in East Bay City to another place where it will be utilized as a colored school building, to Capt. J. W. White.

This structure, an immense two-story building 54 ft. and 6 in. x 60 ft. and 6 in. will be moved intact. This is perhaps the largest undertaking in the way of house moving ever indulged in in this section and is going to require quite a deal of preparation and equipment to do it properly.

Matagorda County Tribune, September 15, 1911
 

 



 

Bay City Public School Building, Bay City, Texas
(Also known as Jefferson Davis and was located on the present Pierce campus.)
Postcard courtesy of Jana Prock

Cornerstone and Marker
2300 Block 4th Street

Site of the first high school in Bay City, Texas Jefferson Davis High School named by the E. S. Rugeley Chapter, United Daughters of the Confederacy. Front side: Bay City High School Dr. B. E. Simons D. P. Moore A. D. Hensley J. L. Gartrell Trustess G. B. Harris W. E. Harris W. S. Holman Left Side: Erected 1905 C. H. Page Jr., Architect; J. W. White and O. E. Hatchett, Builders



Junior High School, Bay City, Texas
(
Previously Bay City High School)
(Later John H. Cherry Elementary School)

Postcard courtesy of Jana Prock


Bay City High School
(Currently Bay City Junior High)

Postcard courtesy of Jana Prock

NEXT

Copyright 2006 - Present by Carol Sue Gibbs
All rights reserved

Created
Mar. 7, 2006
Updated
May 7, 2008
 

HOME