Search billions of records on Ancestry.com


 


 
Hotel Blessing

817 FM 616
Blessing, TX 77419

28°52’17.20”N          96°13’18.68”W

361-588-9579

hotelblessing817@hotmail.com

Hotel Blessing on Facebook

 

Hotel Blessing Coffee shop
 
(
361) 588-6623
~ Breakfast 7-10 ~ Lunch 11-2 ~
Open everyday except Christmas
Menu

100th Anniversary

Jonathan Edwards Pierce

Home of Abel B. Pierce, Sr. & Abel B. Pierce, Jr.

National Register of historic places

 

 


Photos courtesy of Mina McKiver

 


 

HOTEL BLESSING

BUILT 1906 FOR LANDSEEKERS, AS WELL AS A FAMILY HOME, FOR PROMINENT DEVELOPERS, JONATHAN E. PIERCE AND SON, ABEL B. PIERCE. TOWN AND HOTEL WERE NAMED OUT OF GRATITUDE FOR ERA OF RAILROADS AND GULF COAST DEVELOPMENT.

RECORDED TEXAS HISTORIC LANDMARK—1965

Typed by Faye Cunningham



First Post Card of Hotel Blessing (built 1909)

The hotel catered to school teachers and landseekers coming to settle here. Note car styles and the fence. Before cattle laws were passed in Matagorda County, the hotel, restored by the Blessing Historical Foundation in 1977, remains essentially the same, bearing plaques of the National Register of Historic Places and the Official Historical Medallion on Texas.


 

 


Cards courtesy of Ruth H. Pierce
 

 



Hotel Blessing, Blessing, Texas
 



Hotel Blessing, Blessing, Texas
 

 



Hotel Blessing in 2005

Hotel Blessing, Blessing, Matagorda County, Texas, is reached by the Missouri Pacific and Southern Pacific Railroads, and Texas Highway No. 35. Twenty-five rooms, many with private baths, a large dining-room where tasty home-cooked meals are served. Furnished apartments on hotel grounds. Oil, rice, cotton and cattle chief industries. Center if fishing and hunting country. Short drives to Tres Palacios and Caranchua Rivers, and to Matagorda Bay and the Gulf of Mexico. Mild winter climate. Gulf breezes in summer. An unusual small town hotel.
 


Hotel Blessing
By Ruth Harrison Pierce

Hotel Blessing is one of the oldest buildings remaining in Blessing and for many years has provided the community with a unique landmark because of its location adjoining the town square and on well-traveled FM 616, west of State Highway 35.

The hotel was built in 1906 by Jonathan E. Pierce. Plans were drawn by an architect from Victoria, Texas. The design was inspired by Spanish mission churches and was translated into "Anglo" wood-siding construction.

About 1906 the Blessing townsite was platted and subdivided; thereafter, Hotel Blessing was built and opened for the traveling public and landseekers. It was the residence of J. E. Pierce until his death in 1915 and also of his son, Abel B. Pierce until completion of his Blessing residence in 1910. Other members of the Pierce family resided in the hotel at various times.

When Hotel Blessing opened December 1, 1907, G. H. Crandall from Wisconsin was the manager. He was followed by Dr. A. W. Flickwir, Captain E. L. Sieker, Mrs. L. B. Parkins, Abbie Minnich, Mrs. Kenneth Stocker, Mrs. Lance Williams, Maggie D. Walker, Ruth Williams, Hattie Wheeler, Lilly Upton Walters, Mr. and Mrs. Ralph Henderson, Mr. and Mrs. E. R. Vacek, Sr., Minnie Fitzgerald, Benny Swinky, Mildred Newman, Evelyn Jalufka Luker, Helen Ward and Mr. and Mrs. George Shaffer.

In 1965 the hotel was recorded as a Texas Historical Landmark with the following citation:

HOTEL BLESSING

Built 1906 for Landseekers, as well as a family home for prominent developers, Jonathan E. Peirce. Town and hotel named out of gratitude for era of railroads and Gulf Coast development.

Abel B. Pierce, Jr., acquired ownership of the hotel in 1972. In 1977 the Blessing Hotel was given to the Blessing Historical Foundation, and restoration was begun in 1978.

In 1979 Hotel Blessing was entered into the National Register of Historic Place, the first official listing for Matagorda County with this distinction.

The Blessing Historical Foundation currently owns and operates the hotel. The foundation leases the operation of the Hotel Blessing Coffee Shop to Helen Feldhousen. The Hotel Blessing continues to be a popular meeting place for local residents and visitors.

Historic Matagorda County, Volume I, pages 443-444
 



 

Blessing Hotel Ads

 

 

January 15, 1959 (at left)

February 12, 1959 (below)





 



 

For more information contact
 
Hotel Blessing
128 10th Street
Blessing, TX 77419
(361) 588-9579
 
Hotel Blessing Coffee Shop
128 10th Street
Blessing, TX 77419
(361) 588-6623
 


Hotel Blessing 100th Anniversary Celebration
December 1, 1907 - December 1, 2007


 

Copyright 2006 - Present by Carol Sue Gibbs
All rights reserved

Created
Jan. 13, 2006
Updated
Dec. 14, 2012
   

HOME