Search billions of records on


This cemetery is on private property in the Buckeye area. DIRECTIONS



Clementine Schulze Bundick  1829 - 1917
Wife of Thomas W. Bundick

Richard Bundick 27 Dec 1857 - 10 Sep 1865


Seth R.  Bundick 18 Mar 1866 - 08 May 1892


Theodore Bundick 28 Nov 1853 - 23 Dec 1907
Son of Thomas W. & Clementine Schulze Bundick

Thomas W. Bundick died 05 Dec 1870
Husband of Clementine Schulze Bundick


Moritz Schulze  11 Mar 1803 - 01 Jul 1883
Father of Clementine Schulze Bundick

Peter Benjamin Bundick


P. B. Bundick is the proprietor of the Pioneer Hotel of EI Campo, and is a son of one of the veterans who fought in the battle of San Jacinto and was a citizen of the Republic of Texas. A native of Matagorda county, Texas, P. B. Bundick was born August 21, 1855, his parents being Thomas W. and Clementine (Schulze) Bundick, who were married in Texas; the former was born in Louisiana and the latter in Germany. T. W. Bundick was of Scotch-Irish descent and was reared on a farm in the state of his nativity. He came to Texas as a young man, locating in Fort Bend county, and opened up a farm on Oyster creek, where he remained until the outbreak of hostilities which resulted in winning Texan independence from Mexico. He joined the force of brave patriots, with General Sam Houston in command, and was active in the struggle until its close when Santa Anna was made a prisoner


At the Siege of the Alamo.


He was always on duty, ready for any emergency. He was with a small force dispatched to recruit the forces under Travis at San Antonio. When within a few miles of the city the lieutenant in command, not knowing in which direction the Mexicans would approach, asked for volunteers to act as pickets to carry word to the garrison at the Alamo. Mr. Bundick, with three others, volunteered and remained in order to give warning of the Mexican approach. The remainder of the force joined Crockett and Travis at the Alamo and met death with that brave band of Texas heroes, while those on picket duty remained at their posts and could see the smoke of the battle. On the morning of the last day of the struggle one of the pickets rode in and told his companions of the massacre in the Alamo. Then the four pickets returned to Houston's camp and informed him what had happened. Mr. Bundick was one of the squad that captured General Santa Anna at the battle of San Jacinto, not knowing at the time who the prisoner was. As they approached the camp other Mexican prisoners exclaimed, "Santa Anna." The squad brought him before Houston and it took all of Houston's power and influence with his army to keep the men from hanging the Mexican general on the spot. With keen foresight General Houston realized that Texan liberty was in his grasp, but that the death of Santa Anna might prolong the war, and so refused to give up his illustrious prisoner to the fury of his soldiers. Texas became a republic, but it was still some months before the state was freed from the Mexican renegades and desperadoes who had crossed the border, and Mr. Bundick assisted in holding these in subjection. It was a heroic struggle and was won against great odds.


When the war ended Mr. Bundick returned to his Oyster creek home and resumed farming. Soon after his marriage he removed to the prairie near the present site of Stafford, there remaining for a short time, after which he removed to Matagorda county in 1849, when there were not more than a half dozen white families in the county. George Elliott, Esquire Reed and Harris Yamans [Horace Yeamans] camped on Cashes creek and Mr. Bundick joined them, later selecting land on the Colorado river, where he made a permanent settlement and engaged in  farming and stock raising. Farming was then done on a small scale, for the only market was that furnished by the emigrants. The pioneers raised supplies for their own families and depended on stock raising for an income. Game of all kinds was plentiful and wild beasts roamed at will. The range was free, grass was good and the stock flourished. Mr. Bundick employed his energies in getting a good herd of cattle, and he aided in the pioneer development of the county, not only in winning independence from Mexican rule but also in suppressing the Indian violences and in planting the seeds of later-day civilization and progress. To such men the state owes a debt of gratitude that can never be paid and on the pages of her history he deserves most honorable mention.


On arriving in Matagorda county he lived for a time in a tent made of a wagon cover and when he had selected land for a permanent location he built a house and soon had some of his land under cultivation, while his herds roamed over the open range. Later he purchased more land and was the owner of over eleven hundred acres at the time of his death, which occurred in December, 1870. He was a splendid representative of the old type of southern planter and stockman, charitable to the needy, hospitable at all times, the latchstring ever hanging out to his friends, while the traveler of pioneer times was never denied a welcome and shelter. He was a faithful member of the Christian church and also of the Masonic fraternity and he voted with the Democracy. In the early days he was a slave owner but he gave to all his black people their freedom while living in Fort Bend county. He was, however, a supporter of the Confederate cause in the Civil war and was a man unfaltering in his adherence to his honest convictions. None ever doubted his loyalty or questioned his sincerity.


One brother, Jackson Bundick, settled with him on Oyster creek, from which both joined Houston's army. After the war Jackson Bundick settled in Brazoria county near where Sandy Point is now. T. W. Bundick, removing to Matagorda county, began raising hogs. One night the only sow was attacked by two bears, and after a considerable fight Mr. Bundick and his father-in-law, Moritz Schulze, succeeded in killing the bears. Mr. Bundick shot deer from his own dooryard and there were many wild turkeys, panthers and bears and much smaller game. His wife yet survives at the old homestead, where a large tract of the land which her husband acquired is under cultivation, being rented out for modern farming, while some stock is also raised thereon. Mrs. Bundick was born in Germany in 1828, a daughter of Moritz Schulze, of that country, who landed at Galveston, Texas, about 1840. Later he settled near where Houston is now and after his daughter married Mr. T. W. Bundick they all lived together, moving to Matagorda county, where he died at his daughter's home in 1872. He was a saddler, and made saddles and saddle trees, selling to the trade. He also made saddles for stockmen and for soldiers in the Civil war. He made a saddle for his grandson, P. B. Bundick, who used it from the age of eight years until he was too old, and later P. B. Bundick's son Hy. Bundick used it until he also was too large, and the saddle is still in a good state of preservation.


In the Schulze family were two children: Mrs. Bundick and C. A. Schulze, who freighted cotton for the government to Mexico during the Civil war. After the war he settled on Jones creek in Wharton county, where he engaged in farming and stock-raising. He married Lizzie Haddon, a daughter of William Haddon, a pioneer settler of Texas, who saw hard service in the early days, especially in the Mier expedition, when the death roll was made out by drawing beans from a bag. Those who drew white ones escaped, but those who drew black ones were shot. William Haddon and another man managed to make their escape and were followed by armed soldiers. They jumped into the Rio Grande river to swim across and being fired upon they pretended to have been hit. Sinking low in the water William Hadden floated down stream and hid in a big pile of drift until night, when he made his escape. He became a widely known and prominent stockman and was the first to handle registered stock in his locality. He died in "Wharton county.


The children of Thomas W. Bundick were: Thomas Bundick, Jr. who is yet with his mother on the old homestead. P. B., of this review; O. C., also on the homestead farm; Robert, deceased; Hamilton, who settled at San Antonio, where he married and became chief of the fire department; Matilda, the wife of P. Rieman: and Jepth, on the old home farm. The mother is a member of the Christian church and a most estimable lady.


P. B. Bundick was reared amid pioneer surroundings in Matagorda county and was educated at a private subscription school. He remained under the parental roof until twenty-one years of age and was then married and two years later was elected constable and served a term of two years, during which time he settled on a farm. After five years he bought and ran a public ferry boat on the Colorado river, known as Bundick's ferry, for eight years. He then resumed farming and stock-raising for five years. In 1893 he came to EI Campo, purchased a lot and erected the Pioneer Hotel. which he has since conducted, making it a popular hostelry.


Mr. P. B. Bundick was appointed and served as deputy sheriff for five years and later was elected city marshal and tax collector. in which capacity he is still serving. He is faithful and prompt in the discharge of his official duties and is also known through the county as a reliable business man. While on the farm he raised corn, cotton, hogs and other stock. He has witnessed marvelous changes in agricultural methods. In the early days of his residence in this locality there were only three or four families in his immediate neighborhood and but two houses within' twenty miles. He saw the country in its wild and primitive condition and has noted with pleasure its rapid development and the progress that has been made in farming, especially in rice and cotton culture. He has kept pace in his business life with the general development and is known as one of the representative business men of EI Campo. In October, 1876, Mr. Bundick was married to Miss Mary J. Spore [Spoor], who was born in Louisiana in 1856. a daughter of John and Margaret {O'Neal) Spore [Spoor], who were married in Louisiana. The father was a farmer by occupation and served in the Confederate army. He was captured by Union soldiers at Matagorda peninsula, taken north and kept there until after the close of the war . Mr. and Mrs. Bundick have many friends in EI Campo and vicinity. He is a member of the Masonic fraternity and Odd Fellows lodge and is most loyal to the teachings and tenets of these orders.


A twentieth Century History of Southwest Texas, Volume II, The Lewis Publishing Company, 1907, pages 509-512


Bundicks of Louisiana and Texas


Copyright 2004 - Present by Carol Sue Gibbs
All rights reserved

Dec. 2, 2004
Jan. 28, 2013