The early settlers of the
By the 1850's both Matagorda and Trespalacios had organized
Baptist churches. The Trespalacios Baptist Church was organized July
4, 1852 in the home of Daniel Wheeler. Some of its members would later
become members of the newly conceived Baptist church at Red Bluff.
Red Bluff was located on the east side of the
Also in December, 1889,
Robert Abner Partain was ordained to
the Gospel ministry at the Trespalacios church. He was called to be
the preacher for the Red Bluff congregation and served until May,
1895. Rev. Partain preached one Sunday a month. He also led the
monthly church conference which was held the Saturday preceding his
The lives and businesses for the 3,985 citizens of
The county changes also caused changes for the Red Bluff
church. The members decided to officially organize their church and move
it to Bay City. The church conference minutes of May 19, 1895 reflect
the upcoming changes. "At the earnest request and solicitation of
the missionary of Colorado Association, three members, Bro. Burns and
wife and Sister Watkins of the Colorado Baptist Church, met, and after
reading and commenting upon the article of Faith by Bro. Poindexter,
Bro. R. A. Partain was called to the Chair, after which it was moved and
seconded to change the name to the Church to the First Baptist Church of
The newly named First Baptist Church of Bay City joined the
Colorado Baptist Association in 1895. It is thought that 12 charter
members formed the first congregation including Bro. and Sister Burns, a
Sister Watkins, Sister Sallie Sims, and Brother and Sister C. L. J.
Sisk. R. A. Partain continued to hold monthly meetings at the Hamilton
Building in Bay City which was a two-story frame building used as the
courthouse. It was located
at the corner of 7th Street and Avenue G. Services were later held once
a month in the Methodist Church building. A Union Sunday School of all
the cooperating churches was led by A. D. Hensley. The
The following group of ministers served from 1895 through
early 1903: A. A. Caperton, April, 1896; J. McKee, March, 1897; William
Josiah Cother, 1898; and J. J. Lively,
Rev. John Harberd Thorn became the first full-time pastor on
Rev. Henry Columbus Morrison was called to be pastor in 1909,
but before he arrived a hurricane struck
In 1914, Rev. Morrison resigned and
Pastors serving from 1916 until 1942 were: John Phillip
Gilliam 1916-19; T. V. Herndon, 1919; William Mannie Joslin, August,
1922-25; Milton Emery Cunningham, 1926-February 20, 1927; Odis Rainer,
March 15, 1927-39; and Paul Wendelin Davis, 1939-42.
The members of First Baptist
Pastors during the next few years included: Allen Otis Webb,
1950-54; James F. Eaves, 1955-58; Ferman Rob Weedon, 1958-63; and
William B. Williams, 1963-66.
In January, 1958, property was purchased by
William D. Baker became pastor of
In an effort to reach out to more people in
Realizing a need for Christian child care in
Rev. Michael T. Zimmerman, assistant pastor, followed Dr. W.
D. Baker as pastor. He began his ministry as pastor in February, 1992
and continues to lead the First Baptist Church of Bay City as it
endeavors to reach out to the community in the name of Jesus Christ.
The Daily Tribune, Monday, October 6, 1930
Sunday was a busy day with the Baptists. Every department held a business meeting and elected officers for the coming year.
The church and Sunday school are now thoroughly organized and officered and propose a year of militant activity.
Following are the departments and those
elected to take charge of each:
R. Lee Anderson, Supt.
W. H. Poole, first assistant superintendent
Mrs. E. C. Anderson, second assistant superintendent
D. A. Einkauf, secretary
Mrs. E. E. Wood, Supt.
Mrs. B. F. Curry, secretary
Clara Mae Cash, pianist
Odis Rainer, Men's Bible class
Mrs. R. B. Barnes, Women's Bible class
Oscar Barber, Business Men's class
Mrs. F. A. Hurley, T. E. L. class [Timothy, Eunice, Lois class for all ages]
Mrs. L. E. McDonald, Assistant for T. E. L. class
Young People's Department
Mrs. J. C. Sisk, Supt.
Herbert Anderson, Secretary
Lois Milby, pianist
Mrs. William Cash, Fidelis Class
Mrs. J. P. Wolfforth, 16-year Girl's class
H. G. Williams, Young Men's class
Mrs. D. A. Einkauf, Supt.
Anita Nance, secretary
Pearl Anderson, pianist
Mrs. J. D. Nance, 14 and 15-year girls.
Miss Ella Lee Pierce, 12 and 13-year boys
C. R. Anderson, 14 and 15-year boys
Mrs. Bub Smith, Supt.
Josephine Head, secretary
Mary Beth Jackson, pianist
Mrs. W. H. Head, first year girls
Miss Florence Head, second year girls
Miss Gladys Lansing, third year girls
Mrs. W. C. Steinmeyer, first year boys
Mrs. Odis Rainer, second and third year boys
Woodrow Branstetter, fourth year boys
Mrs. C. R. Anderson, Supt.
Mrs. Dora Harper
Mrs. S. A. Byars
Miss Vadis Jeter
Viola Sansing, Supt.
Omega Slone, assistant superintendent
Cradle Roll Department
Mrs. Earl Vaughn, Supt.
Mrs. T. F. Anderson, assistant superintendent
Mrs. R. F. Anderson, Supt.
R. F. Anderson, assistant superintendent
Mrs. William Cash
Mrs. S. A. Byars
Mrs. R. Lee Anderson
Mrs. C. M. Amos
Mrs. J. D. Nance
Mrs. T. J. Ewing
Mrs. E. T. Goodall
Copyright 2005 -
Present by Carol Sue Gibbs
Jan. 3, 2005
Aug. 4, 2012