Search billions of records on Ancestry.com


MARKHAM  BAPTIST  CHURCH

Founded 1903
 



 


First Baptist Church of Markham
By Mrs. C. O. (Minnie) Legg

The older records of what was known for so long as Markham Baptist Church were destroyed through neglect years ago. However, from family histories, it is learned that Markham, as a town and community, was not very old when several people realized the need for a place of worship. Four women decided to do something about the problem. One of those women was Vina E. Barnett, the wife of Captain James A. Barnett of the Confederate Army. The communion table was given to the church in their memory.

There is no record of any men being present at the meeting. History has it that the meeting was held upstairs over a saloon, but it is now known why. Buildings in Markham were being erected with living quarters upstairs at that time. Markham was very young and very muddy; maybe there was no other place to meet.

A Baptist church was organized and a small church building was erected in 1903 on the corner of Canal and Avenue J. In 1905 a tornado lifted the church building and set it down in the middle of the street with very little damage. Money was borrowed to move the building back to its rightful place. Most likely a Sunday has not passed without at least one service being held in the church since that first building was erected.

Most of the time, the members struggled to pay the church's bills. At times, the attendance consisted mostly of women and children with only two or three men present.

Since there was no Methodist church building, the Methodist and Baptist congregations shared the same building and worshipped together. Sometimes the Methodists had their own circuit preachers. In 1924 the Methodists built their own church on the corner of Broadway and Seventh Street. The two churches have always cooperated with each other in every way.

The names of most of the pastors after 1915 were recorded, however, none of the pastors stayed long. They were called circuit preachers, being pastors of Markham, Midfield, Blessing and sometimes Francitas. Their salaries were not very much, but the church never closed its doors. Pastors from Bay City came in the afternoons on Sunday to hold services. One pastor from Bay City was the Reverend Eli McDonald, Esker McDonald's father. The Reverend McDonald came to Bay City in 1903 to be the pastor of First Baptist Church. He was also pastor of Markham Church at the time of the 1905 tornado.


Rev. Eli McDonald

In 1930 Brother Robert E. Black came to Markham to teach English in the school. He was also a minister. It was not very long until he was called as pastor of the church. On October 6, 1930, he preached his first sermon as pastor. He was ordained as a minister on October 19, 1930. Brother Black faithfully served for sixteen years. He organized Ashby Memorial Baptist Church and later became pastor at Wadsworth. In 1987 he is a faithful member of First Baptist Church in Markham and is pianist for Wednesday night services.

All the pastors have been wonderful, loved, and appreciated in many different ways. The congregation would not be the group it is today if all the pastors had not come with their unique ways of teaching and leading.

As the church grew under the leadership of each new pastor, more space was needed, and the deacons began to discuss possible solutions to the problem. Since there was adequate space in the attic, the area was converted to house four Sunday School rooms and an assembly room. Two large rooms were constructed on the northwest side of the auditorium. The rooms had large folding partitions which provided two more Sunday School rooms and additional seating when needed.

In 1951 the original building was torn down and a much larger building was erected. The congregation outgrew the second building, so several years later a brick fellowship hall with a nursery and Sunday School rooms was constructed to alleviate the space problem. The congregation is now worshipping is its third building which was erected in 1977. This building, which contains a new sanctuary, was situated adjacent to the existing fellowship hall. It faces Avenue J and has a large landscaped area in front with a circular driveway. Twenty live oak trees were planted so that in future years there would be a beautiful shaded front and side yard, leaving the west side for parking and playground.

The church has had three parsonages. The first one was constructed of wood and was not very large or comfortable. The second one was also a frame structure. Both the parsonage and the church were situated on the north corner of the block. The lot on which the parsonage stood and the lot between the church and parsonage were purchased so that the church owned one-half of the block. During his tenure as pastor, Jeff Clements learned that the west one-half of the block was available. He suggested the church buy that portion of the block for $500 with him paying the $100 to hold the land until the church paid the remaining balance. With the members' help, that land soon belonged to the church, for which everyone has been thankful.

In 1967 the congregation decided that a new parsonage should be built. The old house was sold and moved away, and a very roomy and comfortable brick home with an attached garage was erected. This parsonage has been enjoyed by four pastors and their families.

For several years, the church has been referred to as First Baptist. Other than Pilgrim Rest, First Baptist is the only Baptist church in Markham. When the congregation elected new trustees and updated the church records, the Church voted to be called First Baptist to accommodate bank work and legal papers.

Last October (1986), Brother Joe Ramsey resigned to retire. He remodeled the home of Mrs. Sanders, his wife's mother, and he still lives in Markham and he continues to be active in church functions.


Rev. Joe Ramsey

The parsonage was repaired and repainted. New floor coverings were laid, cabinets repaired, and some plumbing and light fixtures were replaced. In November, 1986, Brother Howard Harper was called as pastor. The church experienced a wonderful year in 1987. Under the leadership of Brother Harper and the summer youth director, Frank Cornelius, many activities were conducted. Those included a lay renewal, a youth-led revival, camp outs, encampments, retreats, and fellowship meetings--all of which have been a blessing to our church.

Historic Matagorda County, Volume III, pages 243 - 245
 



 

 


MARKHAM  BAPTIST  CHURCH

Founded 1903

Membership List 1913 - 1943
Courtesy of Betty Quinney
 

 

YYYY-MM-DD

NAME

 

YYYY-MM-DD

NAME

1920-09-01

H. L. Agree

 

1931

Bobbie Johnson

1920-09-01

Mrs. H. L. Agree

 

1931

Nannie Belle Johnson

1920

Billie Altman

 

1927-06

Mrs. Nellie Knowls

1920

Billie Altman

 

1925-06

O. J. Longuet

1932

Carlie Alexander

 

1927-06

Mrs. O. J. Longuet

1934-06

Bill Abernathy

 

1933

Mellie Sims Leckie

1934-06

Mrs. Bill Abernathy

 

1919

Lena & George Maxwell

1934-06

Mrs. Vina Barnett

 

1920

Robert Maxwell

1934-06

Bennie Barnett

 

1922-09-30

Mr. & Mrs. J. P. Medford

1934-06

Vina Lee Barnett

 

1922-09

Ross Maxwell Barnett

1927

Jewel Barnett

 

1924

Mrs. Leona Mehrens

1926

Jimmie Barnett

 

1924

Lelamae Mehrens

1919

Mrs. Bankhead

 

1924

Theresa Maxwell

1915

Mrs. George Brown

 

1924

Mrs. Ben Mehrens

1915

George Brown

 

1925

Mr. & Mrs. L. P. McGinnis

1917

Nona Brown

 

1925

Virgil & Velmo McGinnie

1919

Mrs. Butcher??

 

1925

Mrs. Fred Miller

1921

James Bankhead

 

1925

Mrs. Rebecca Maxwell

1922-09-03

Howard Bankhead

 

1926

Mr. John C. Maxwell

1922-09-03

Mrs. Howard Bankhead

 

1918

Rev. & Mrs. James Moreland

1923-03-06

Mrs. Edner Bernard

 

1932

Lenard & Howell McGinnis

1923-03-06

Rev. B. Brown

 

1932

Willie McGinnis

1923-03-06

Mrs. Brown

 

1934-06

Mr. & Mrs. Edd Midgett

1923-03-06

Bartow Brown

 

1934-09

Mrs. C. McCarley

1924-06-24

W. T. Butchert

 

1919

Rosa Belle McRea

1924-06-24

Mrs. W. T. Butchert
nee Effie Copallia Williams

 

1920

Charles Newman

1924-06-24

Vada Butchert

 

1917

Mrs. B. Nave

1924-06-24

Cecil Butchert

 

1920

Mr. & Mrs. J. W. Perry

1924-06-24

Velva Butchert

 

1922

Lenden & Mary Perry

1924-06-24

Marrietta Butchert

 

1923

Annie Posey Sparks

1924-06-24

Etta Mae Brown

 

1923

Mr. & Mrs. Prunty

1924-06-24

Mrs. Bennie Barnett

 

1923

Dorothy & Clarence Prunty

1929-02-09

Mrs. Emma Bell

 

1930

Miss Carime Price

1929-02-09

Miss Githa Bell

 

1930-11-02

Mr. Jim Perry

1929-02-09

Mr. E. R. Bell

 

1924

Mr. & Mrs. Frank Quinney, Sr.

1930-09

Rev. R. E. Black

 

1934-06

John & Lila Quinney

1930-09

Lois Black (wife of R. E.)

 

1934-06

Mr. & Mrs. J. J. Quinney, Sr.

1931-12

Miss Gladys Barnett

 

1934

Ida, Edward & Frank Quinney

1931

Victor Burchfield

 

1919

Mr. & Mrs. J. L. Robin

1931

Mrs. Victor Burchfield

 

1922

Ione Ricks

1934-06

Mr. Edd Bieri

 

1922

Mr. & Mrs. Luther Robertson

1934-06

Mrs. Edd Bieri

 

1933

Mrs. Edd Reed

1922-09

Mrs. Dora Cabiness

 

1934

Jennie Rush

1927-06

Mrs. Pearl Crenshaw

 

1913

Lila Smith Harper & Junior

1927-06

Corine Crenshaw

 

1917

Mrs. G. W. Secrest

1927-06

Carl & Clyde Crenshaw

 

1917

Mrs. S. H. Salley

1919

Ola Fitzgerald

 

1919

Mrs. Leon Smith

1919

Mrs. Fitzgerald

 

1923

Mrs. Dewett Salley

1934-06

Mr. & Mrs. Otto Frick

 

1923

Thelma Smith

1915

Mrs. Delia Gunter

 

1925

Mr. & Mrs. Elwood Smith

1915

Mrs. S. A. Gore

 

1925

Oscar & Joe Smith

1917

Linnie & Artie Gardner

 

1927

Rev. & Mrs. E. E. Smith

1925-06

Nellie Green

 

1927

W. R. & Mrs. Sellers

1932

Mr. & Mrs. Leslie Glaze

 

1927

Mr. & Mrs. F. B. Smith

1934-06

Ben & J. T. Goodson

 

1928

Leona & Myrtle Smith

1934-09

Hazel Gardner

 

1932

Pauline & Ethel Smith

1919

Ottie Hale

 

1933

Authurene Sparks

1922-09

Alvin Huddleston

 

1933

Mrs. Jess Sanders

1923-07

Henson, Trueman

 

1933

Miss Inez Townsend

1923-07

Mr. & Mrs. Hudson

 

1925

J. N. Taylor

1925-06

Dora Mae Huddleston

 

1923

Mr. & Mrs. H. S. Townsend

1927-06

Basil & A. B. Huddleston

 

1934

Bob Turner

1927

Mr. & Mrs. R. L. Hamill

 

1919

Willie Wilson

1913

Mrs. Virgil Harper

 

1920

Mr. & Mrs. Guy Wynn

1930

Mignon Hill

 

1920

Mrs. Elizabeth Weaver

1934

Mildred Helander

 

1920

Callie & Florence Weaver

1932-06

Mrs. Charlie Hall

 

1919

Mr. & Mrs. M. V. Wilson

1932

Mr. & Mrs. Artie Hale

 

1925

Mr. & Mrs. M. S. Watkins

1933

Mrs. Harvey

 

1925

Winona Winn

1933

Thelma Harvey

 

1925

Mrs. Ethel Whitten

1933

Laura Mae Harvey

 

1932

Mrs. H. M. White

1934

Mrs. A. B. Huddleston

 

1932

Tom Watkins

1934

Miss Lura Hogden

 

1925

Mr. & Mrs. Sam Yeamans

1925

F. L. Insal

 

1925

Mr. & Mrs. Velvon York

1925-06

Winona Johnson Kay

 

1923

Mr. & Mrs. Ted Zuber

1931

Mr. George Johnson

 

1925

Mr. & Mrs. Joe Zbranek

1931

Mrs. George Johnson

 

 

 

 

Copyright 2006 - Present by Carol Sue Gibbs
All rights reserved

Created
Oct. 28, 2006
Updated
Jan. 17, 2016
   

HOME