Search billions of records on

Citrus Grove Information

Collegeport For Kids includes Citrus Grove

Citrus Grove Business Ads

Citrus Grove History

Citrus Grove Newspaper Articles

Citrus Grove Community Thanksgiving Dinners 1909 - 1977

Post Card postmarked Citrusgrove in 1911

Buildings left to right
Yeamans store
A. H. Johnson store
lumber shed from early Theo Smith & Son Lumber Yard
Depot (white)
Possibly warehouse (dark low building)
Gin (far right)

Photos courtesy of the Holsworth Family archives

Citrus Grove Gin 1910

Photos of gin & lumber yard courtesy of Matagorda County Museum

Citrus Grove Lumber Yard

Yeamans & Sons Dry Good Groceries & Furniture
Photo courtesy of R. Linn Ready

Family History of Linn Odelon and Olive Rauch Yeamans


Citrus Grove Schoolhouse-Community Center restored and renovated into a residence.
Pictures of the school building
after use as a community center
and before restoration.

Photos courtesy of G. W. Franzen




Chalkboard inside one of the classrooms before renovation


By Rosalie Nelson Ellis


The first Citrus Grove School classes were held in the Corporon family barn with Omar Crabill as the teacher. The children in the Citrus Grove area lived so far apart that in later years there was the necessity of holding classes at two locations. One group held classes in the church building and another group held classes in a new one room building. These locations became known as the North and South Schools. In 1914, as transportation became better, the district added a second room to the existing school building and consolidated the North and South Schools. Some of the teachers during those years were Ruth Matthes, Dorothy Corporon, Louise Walters and Irene Batchelder.

Palacios ISD 75th Anniversary 1906 - 1891, Palacios Beacon Supplement


Copyright 2006 - Present by Carol Sue Gibbs
All rights reserved

Jan. 6, 2006
Nov. 14, 2011