Search billions of records on



Caney Information


The Caney - Matthews Cemetery  is located on FM 2540 just north of the intersection
of FM 457 and FM 2540 in Matagorda County, Texas. It is just across the fence from
the airport at the end of the runway and can be seen from the highway. It has a few
trees in the corner and there is a grass-covered road from the highway.
The cemetery is still in use and the survey was updated as of February, 2004.
NOTE: Bracketed [   ] information came from other sources other than the marker.



Andrews, Absalem Mitchell after 1908 Company F, 9th Alabama Infantry

Andrews, Grace 05 Jun 1918
Hamilton, Florence Adel  30 Dec 1917    

Hamilton, James 14 Sep 1918

Hamilton, Thomas James  13 Nov 1923
Soldier, Unknown Confederate

Soldier, Unknown Confederate  

Iron crosses that once marked the graves of the two unknown Confederate soldiers.
The crosses were stolen and the graves are no longer marked.

Mrs. Jones compiled a list of all of the burials with unknown locations
in the cemetery that she could recall. The additional notes are her's.
Adams, Mr. (Mrs. Dick Hunt's husband)
Alexander, Mrs. (died with flu in 1918)
Avery, Dudley  (infant)

Bevens, Mrs. 

Bradshaw, Mrs. 
Coulter, Unknown  (several family members buried here) [all unmarked]
Dedrick, Jack (Uncle) 

Ellison, Young Boy 

Green, Roland

Green, Mrs. Roland  

Green, Child of Roland 

Green, Child of Roland  

Green, Child of Roland
Halk, Mrs. Claud 'Pregnant and died while cutting stovewood' 

Hamilton, Arden  

Hamilton, Infant daughter 
Hamilton, Jim  

Hamilton, Mrs. Jim 

Hamilton, Tom  [unmarked - may be Thomas James Hamilton
listed earlier as unmarked]

Jamison, Mr.  'Old couple lived on Liveoak Road' 

Jamison, Mrs. 'Old couple lived on Liveoak Road' 

Joice, 'Child' 

Kilbride, George Floyd 

McCrosky, Tena Glatz 

Miller, Mr. 

Miller, Mrs. 

Moore, Mollie [could this be Catherine or Mary Moore?]

Phillips, Harry  'baby'

Plant, Infant  [John Leroy Plant b and d 11 July 1940, son of Joseph and Marie Plant, 
was once marked with a wooden cross, information supplied by  Oma Stevens]
Roberts, Mrs. 'elderly when died'

Sadberry, Ned [African-American]
Thompson, Scott  

Underwood, Mrs. Bill [probably Emma Glenn Underwood wife of
William Percell Underwood]


Copyright 2006 - Present by Carol Sue Gibbs
All rights reserved

Jan. 10, 2006
Jan. 10, 2006