Collegeport Photographs
Photos courtesy of Mopac House Foundation
 


Bonehead Club c late 1950s

A newspaper article dated January 9, 1925 announced the formation of a new Collegeport organization, the Bonehead Club. It was a men's social club and the first officers were E. A. Holsworth, Most Magnificent Bonehead; Judge Corse and John Evans. The office titles for the latter two were not mentioned. Pictured above is a later group of "Boneheads."

Below are the three signs which were used to announce their meetings.

 

 


Bonehead Club of Collegeport Has Regular Meeting

Collegeport, May 6—(Spl)—At the regular monthly meeting of the Bonehead Club last night at the Mo-Pac Community Center several matters of general interest were presented.

The community is considerably disturbed by the rumor that school officials plan to discontinue our school here at the close of the present term. A committee was appointed to draft a petition to be circulated here and presented to the school board as soon as possible expressing the deep concern of the entire community in this matter. The point was emphasized that the closing of the school would necessitate a long bus ride for seven and eight year-old pupils each morning, starting at an early hour each morning. The following committee has this matter in hand: Billy Halfen, chairman, R. L. Corporon, C. J. Williams and Rev. A. G. Fitzgerald.

The telephone committee reported that recent information from the company was to the effect that materials for the construction of the line were being received and that it was hoped to have the work under way within the next ten days. A marine cable will be laid across Tres Palacios Bay, terminating near the Mowery residence.

Preliminary provisions were set up for the observing of Collegeport Day, May 25th. Dr. L. A. Wilcox of Palacios will furnish the animal for the barbecue and Leo Duffy will superintend the barbecuing. This even is celebrated each year on this date and there are usually several hundred people present.

A committee was appointed to see what could be done about shelling the cemetery road and to secure a new dumping ground for the community.

The Daily Tribune, Thursday, May 7, 1953

 

BACK                     NEXT

 

Copyright 2006 - Present by Carol Sue Gibbs
All rights reserved

This page was created Jun. 21, 2006
This page was updated
May 28, 2007
   

HOME