Collegeport Articles

1952
 


House Moved To Collegeport Without Sinking As Rumored

Rumors circulating in Palacios that a barge loaded with a 15-ton truck and an old army building having sunk in Matagorda Bay are false, according to Roy Whitmire of Gamble and Whitmire.

Whitmire told the Beacon Wednesday that his company moved a truck and half of a building to Collegeport by way of barge during the last week.

The only accident they had was at Collegeport, he stated. While moving the house from the barge, one of the rollers supporting the house crashed through the barge’s wooden deck, Whitmire said.

Only half of this large house was moved from Camp Hulen. The other half is scheduled to be moved this week from our new turning basin.

A steel barge will be used, Whitmire continued.

Palacios Beacon, October 2, 1952
 


Ida Mae Wilson and Gustave Franzen, Jr. Wed in Collegeport

Miss Ida Mae Wilson became the bride of Gustave Franzen Jr. Saturday evening , November 22, at 7 o’clock, in a ceremony performed in the home of Mr. and Mrs. Dean Merck in Collegeport.

The Rev. A. G. Fitzgerald performed the double ring ceremony in the living room archway, which was flanked with candelabrum and tall baskets of white mums.

The bride is the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. C. H. Wilson of Palacios and the groom is the son of Mrs. Gust Franzen Sr. and the late Mr. Franzen of Collegeport.

The bride, given in marriage by her father, wore an air force blue suit, white hat and gloves, her mother’s gold wedding bracelet, a white carnation corsage, and carried a white Bible.

Mrs. Fred King attended the bride as matron of honor. Fred King served as best man and the candles were lighted by Misses Mary Louise and Nelda Faye Wells.

The mother of the bride was attired in a wine suit, black accessories and a pink carnation corsage. The groom’s mother wore a navy suit, black accessories, and a corsage of pink carnations.

Immediately following the ceremony the reception was held in the Merck home. Members of the house party included Mesdames C. W. Boeker, Wilford Wilson, B. B. Bryan, and Gerald Wells.

The newlyweds will make their home in Collegeport.

Out-of-town guests were Mr. and Mrs. C. H. Wilson, Mr. and Mrs. Wilford Wilson and children, Bill and Yvonne, of Palacios; Mr. and Mrs. C. W. Boeker and children, Patsy, Jimmie, and Judy, of Channelview; Mr. and Mrs. B. B. Bryan and children, Margaret and Bobbie, of New Iberia, La.; Eugene Fitzpatrick of Lolita, and James Franzen of Cordele.

Palacios Beacon, December 4, 1952
 

 


Collegeport Articles

1953
 


Mary Louise Wells and Howard Eugene Fitzpatrick Married in Collegeport Church February 28

Miss Mary Louise Wells of Collegeport became the bride of Howard Eugene Fitzpatrick of Lolita at a double ring ceremony solemnized by Rev. A. G. Fitzgerald. There ceremony was performed at 7:30 Saturday evening, February 28, in the Collegeport Presbyterian Church before an altar banked with baskets of white stock and lighted white tapers in candelabras.

The candles were lighted by Mrs. Willie Corporon and Miss Annie Nell Penland.

The bride is the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Gerald F. Wells of Collegeport and Mr. and Mrs. John F. Fitzpatrick of Lolita are parents of the bridegroom.

Mrs. R. L. Corporon accompanied Rev. Glass who sang “Because” and the “Lord’s Prayer.”

The bride, given in marriage by her father, wore an off white silk and wool suit with blue accessories and an orchid corsage. She carried a white Bible.

Miss Nelda Faye Wells, the bride’s only attendant, wore a light blue linen suit, pink blouse and gloves, navy shoes and hat and a pink carnation corsage.

Charles Leonard Fitzpatrick was best man and Clifford Franzen and Dean F. Merck were ushers.

Mrs. Wells chose for her daughter’s wedding a navy blue dress and shoes and her hat and gloves were light blue. The groom’s mother wore a blue dress with matching accessories.

A reception in the Dean Merck home was given following the ceremony. Bouquets of gladiolas, carnations and pansies were placed at vantage points about the home. The serving table was laid with a white cutwork cloth. The three tiered wedding cake was served by Miss Fitzpatrick and Mrs. Hutzler and Mrs. G. A. Franzen, Jr. presided at the punch bowl.

The bride graduated from Palacios High School and the bridegroom is a graduate of Industrial High School.

Out of town guests attending the wedding were Mrs. A. D. Hensley, Mrs. H. Boeker, Mr. and Mrs. Billy Boeker, Mr. and Mrs. W. C. Tillman and daughter, Mr. and Mrs. W. H. Slone and son, Mrs. Hilma Huitt and E. M., Mr. and Mrs. Percy Terry and granddaughter, Mrs. Rhoda King of Bay City; Mr. and Mrs. Teddy Slone and children of Edna; Mr. and Mrs. Thomas Eager and daughter of Inez; Mr. and Mrs. James Franzen of Cordele.

Mr. and Mrs. C. D. McConnell, Mr. and Mrs. Don Dockery, Mr. and Mrs. W. L. Corporon, Mr. and Mrs. George Hunter, Mrs. John Gayle, Mrs. Wayne Abraham, Mrs. Thelma Holloway, Misses Gayle Sexton, Dolly Milam, Dorothy Florip and Jo Ann Munds of Palacios; Mrs. Gene Hutzler and daughter of San Antonio.

Mr. and Mrs. John F. Fitzpatrick Jr. and family, Miss Flossie Newport, Mrs. I. Newport, Mr. and Mrs. C. K. Fitzpatrick, Mr. and Mrs. J. W. Fitzpatrick, Mr. and Mrs. J. H. Fitzpatrick, Gillie Fitzpatrick, Mr. and Mrs. Dock Deakle, Mrs. Reani Newport, Mr. and Mrs. Ray Reuel Jr. and Michael Ray Reuel, Mr. and Mrs. D. J. Jordan, Mr. and Mrs. Hart of Lolita; and Rev. Glass of Corpus Christi.

Palacios Beacon, March 5, 1953

 

Copyright 2011 - Present by Palacios Beacon
All rights reserved

Created
Sep. 24, 2011
 
Updated
Sep. 24, 2011
   

HOME