Married c 1897 to
Gertrude E. Johnson Brooks (November 19, 1875 - December 13,
Irene Gertrude Brooks
Dr. Cohen Hay Langford MD September 20, 1900 - April 6, 1977
Georgetown, Williamson County, Texas
Dr. Brooks, a young physician from across the Colorado, has located in Coulterville. We wish him success. --Matagorda County Tribune, July 26, 1899
Dr. W. N. Brooks has gone over home to take his wife to Bucks Bayou where she will teach this winter. --Matagorda County Tribune, September 11, 1899
Dr. W. N. Brooks has left Coulterville. --Matagorda County Tribune, December 2, 1899
1900 Census - Texas - Matagorda County
Dr. W. N. Brooks, Franklin, Cameron Herald,
May 28, 1903
1910 Census - Texas - Limestone County
1920 Census - Texas, Chambers County, Texas
1930 Census - Texas - Harris County - Goose Creek
- West Lobit Street
Dr. W. N. Brooks, Goose Creek, 1936, Baytown Sun files, May 13, 1986
1940 Census - Texas - Harris - Bob Smith Road
Mrs. Gertrude Brooks, 76, widow of the late Dr. W. N. Brooks, died at 2:15 a. m. today at the Bandera home of her son-in-law and daughter, Dr. and Mrs. C. H. Langford.
She had been in ill health a long while, and only recently was brought from Bandera to the Baytown Hospital for treatment. She returned to Bandera several days ago.
She had lived most of her life in Baytown. Her husband was a life-long resident and pioneer physician of this area. He was one of the founders of the Baytown Hospital, originally the Goose Creek Hospital, and was a practicing physician until his death recently.
Mrs. Brooks for many years was active in social, religious and civic organizations here and was a past matron of the Cedar Bayou Chapter of the Order of Eastern Star. She was a member of the Grace Methodist Church.
The body will be brought to Earthman Funeral home tomorrow. Funeral services will be held at 3 p. m. Saturday.
Mrs. Langford is the only immediate survivor. Other survivors are a niece, Mrs. Charles Gilland of Texas City and two grandchildren, Louse and Dendell Langford of Bandera.
The family has requested that no flowers be sent for the funeral and that any who wish to do so, donate to the Grace Methodist Memorial Fund in memory of Mrs. Brooks.
Pallbearers will be J. D. Royder, Nelson Martin, Marvin Martin, Lloyd Gilbert, E. L. Gunn and A. J. Davis.
Baytown Sun, December 13, 1951
Irene Brooks Langford, born in Bay City, Texas, on January 30, 1898, passed away peacefully on Saturday, March 29, 2003 in Georgetown. Irene was preceded in death by her husband, Dr. Cohen Hay Langford April 6, 1977, son, Wendell Brooks Langford (April 19, 1987) and parents, William Nelson and Gertrude Johnson Brooks (Cedar Bayou, Texas). Irene is survived by her daughter and son-in law, Louise and Albert Grapski, two granddaughters Alice Grapski and Linda Grapski Tatosian and husband, Greg, and one great granddaughter, Macie Wyly.
Irene witnessed more than a century of births ,deaths, love, happiness, sadness and two world wars. She was filled with determination and exuberance for life. In the 1920's she earned a Bachelor's Degree in Science from Sam Houston State University in Huntsville, Texas. She continued on to become one of the first women pharmacists in the state of Texas. She studied pharmacy because her father, a physician in Baytown, did not want her to become a doctor or a nurse. At that time there were only three other women in the pharmacy class. She met Cohen Hay (C. H.) Langford at The University of Texas School of Pharmacy in Galveston. They married in Houston on August 23, 1924. As young pharmacists, the two of them worked for about a year in Mercedes. After that, they moved back to Houston so that C. H. could attend Baylor College of Medicine . Irene taught the fourth grade and later became the principal of an elementary school in Pelly. Her husband, C H., practiced medicine with her father and the two, of them built Baytown Hospital.
In 1933?, Irene and C. H. adopted their, daughter, Louise. Later they adopted son, Wendell. Irene and C. H. lived in Baytown until he retired in 1951 when they bought a ranch in Bandera. They moved there and lived until 1960 when they moved to Florence. They were the first ranchers in the county to raise French Charolais cattle. In 1972 they moved to Georgetown.
Irene was a life long member and Sunday School teacher in the Methodist Church and also member of the Order of the Eastern Star. While in Baytown, the attended the Baytown Grace Methodist Church. In Bandera, she attended the Bandera United Methodist Church and, in Florence, the Florence Methodist Church. She taught Sunday School classes, played the piano, and directed the choir until she was 98.
Irene was a dear and an inspiration to all her family and friends. Her great granddaughter, Macie, always called her 'great'.. .and Irene was great indeed.
Services will be today at 10 a.m. at the Davis Cook Waldon Funeral Home in Georgetown, Graveside services will also be today at 3 p.m. at the Bandera Cemetery.
Bandera Bulletin, April 2, 2003
Services for Dr. C. H. Langford, 76, one of the founders of Baytown Hospital, will be held 10 a. m. Saturday at First United Methodist Church in Florence, with the Revs. Leland Lytell and David Seilheimer officiating.
Langford, who left Baytown in 1959 following his retirement from the medical profession, died Wednesday night at his home in Georgetown.
A graduate of Baylor University Medical School, Langford taught anatomy at the university before moving to Baytown in the early 1930s.
In 1932, Dr. Langford and Dr. William Brooks and Dr. L. A. Hankins established Baytown Hospital under the name of Goose Creek Hospital. The original location was in the Guberman Building on West Texas and contained five beds.
In 1938, the hospital was moved to 119 W. Defee and enlarged to 12 beds plus doctors' offices forming a clinic. In 1941, the capacity was increased to 30 beds and upon consolidation of the three towns, the name was changed to Baytown Hospital. In the meantime, Dr. Langford had retired from practice and Dr. Brooks and Dr. Hankins had died.
Dr. Langford was also the first doctor in Harris County to use penicillin and glucose as treatments. He was a member of the Texas Medical Association and the American Medical Association.
Following his retirement in 1959, he moved to Florence, where the operated the Lazy L. Ranch and raised Charolais cattle until his retirement in 1972, when he moved to Georgetown.
Dr. Langford was a member of the ROTC Medical Reserve during World War II and was also a registered pharmacist.
He was a member of the First United Methodist Church in Florence, Masonic Lodge No. 1123 in Bandera and the Shriners.
He is survived by his wife, Mrs. Irene Langford of Georgetown; a son, Wendell B. Langford of Belton; a daughter, Mrs. Louise Grapski of Georgetown; and two brothers, O. F. Langford of Hope, Ark., and E. W. Langford of San Antonio.
Three grandchildren also survive.
Burial will be in Florence City Cemetery with Masonic graveside rites. Arrangements are being handled by Young Funeral Home in Florence.
Baytown Sun, April 8, 1977
Copyright 2014 -
Present by Carol Sue Gibbs
May 1, 2014
May 1, 2014