Dr. Pelton was born 17 Feb 1844 in Ovid Township, Branch County,
Michigan the son of John O. Pelton and Lydia Wood Pelton. He was
baptized at Christ Episcopal Church in Matagorda on arch 3, 1895. He
died September 7, 1931 in Los Angeles, California.
He then married second, Catherine "Kate" Duffy Clauder (Sep 21, 1848 - Jul 12, 1907). She was first the wife of Jacob Clauder (Mar 31, 1832 - Jul 19, 1894).
His third wife was Mary Jane Wells Pelton. see information below
Surgical Directory of the United States 1886
1850 Census Branch County, Michigan Township of
1860 Census Branch County, Michigan, Coldwater Township
1861 - Arthur M. Pelton entered high school in Ann Arbour, Michigan, preparatory to entering the University of Michigan
1862 - Entered the medical department and remained until 1864, when he passed an examination before the "Army Board of Medical Examiners.
April 21, 1864 - Appointed by the Secretary of War to the position of Medical Cadet for the term of one year. Attached to the General Medical Starr, he performed duty in the hospitals in St. Louis, Mo., in Jefferson Barracks, Mo., and in Chattanooga, Tenn., where he acted as assistant surgeon for six months.
1865 - Returned to the University and graduated March 28, 1866
Lived in Illinois, Kansas, Indiana, Michigan and Arkansas
April, 1874 settled at Deming's Bridge, Matagorda County
1880 Matagorda Census Agricultural schedule with Wheeler and Partain
1900 Census - Matagorda
After Catherine died in 1907, Dr. Pelton moved to Los Angeles California where he became a large real estate owner.
1910 Census - Los Angeles, CA
Married third to Martha Jane Wells Pelton (Dec. 4, 1869 - July 25, 1951) on November 16, 1910 in Los Angeles. Martha was the daughter of Baraman W. Wells and Mary E. Catchings Wells. They had a daughter, Allene A. Pelton b c 1912.
1920 Census - Los Angeles, CA
1930 Census - Los Angeles, CA
1940 Census, Los Angeles, CA, South
Windsor Boulevard, Block 27
Martha Wells Pelton died July 25, 1951 in Los
Angeles and buried at Hollywood Forever Cemetery in Los Angeles
Find A Grave page
Dr. Pelton's office has been
completed by contractors Baker & Huffaker and painting and papering
Member of the Matagorda
and Wharton Counties Cattlemen's Protective Association
Dr. A. M. Pelton shipped four cars
of calves to St. Louis and two cars of cows to Houston.
C. W. Burkhart, Stewart Bros .,
Sargent & Sargent and Dr. A. M. Pelton are out doing their fall
branding this week.
E. R. Derby,
was a city jeweler in the northwest, and longing for farm life, came
to Texas and selected and bought the old Pelton place on Peyton
creek three years ago. Among the Farmers, The Matagorda News and
Midcoast Farmer, August 22, 1913
Copyright 2014 -
Present by Carol Sue Gibbs
Jan. 9, 2014
Feb. 26, 2014