S


Dr. Edward Eugene Scott
 

S

 


Dr. E. E. and Mary Scott
 



Dr. E. E. Scott at his office in Van Vleck


Dr. Edward Eugene Scott

by Dr. Gordon E. Richardson

Dr. Edward Eugene Scott was born February 20, 1867, in Lampasas, Texas. His parents were Dr. Morgan Jackson and Harriett Kenney Scott. They were natives of Gasconade County, Missouri, both being born there in 1821. This family moved to Texas in 1852 and settled in the town of Lampasas. His father was a doctor and stockraiser. When Edward was five years of age, his father was killed in a gunfight on the post office steps of Lampasas. His mother married Jackson Holly on August 6, 1877, when Edward was ten years of age. Harriett Scott Holly died in 1911.

Scott acquired his education by working while attending school. He was graduated from the John Sealy School of Medicine in Galveston. When he was a young man, Scott moved to Matagorda and later to Bay City, where he practiced medicine and operated the Scott Drug Company. He served as the Matagorda County health doctor from 1930 to 1937. A member of the Bay City Masonic Lodge #865, he was a 32nd Degree Mason with membership in the Mother Conistory, Valley of Galveston, Orient of Texas, Scottish Rite Bodies, in Galveston. He was a member of St. Mark’s Episcopal Church in Bay City.

On July 3, 1895, he married Mary Isabelle Freeman of the Sargent area. They were the parents of three sons: Marvin Ignatius, born April 22, 1900, married Oranell Haynes; Herman Morgan, born December 17, 1906, married Inez Horne; and James Edward, born January 15, 1908, married Fannie Halleman.

Besides raising his own three sons, Dr. and Mrs. Scott reared his niece, Georgia Rich. She married Roy Shoulz and was the mother of George Shoultz and Dr. Charles Shoultz of Bay City.

Dr. Scott died May 27, 1937, and was buried beside his first wife Mary Isabelle Freeman, in Cedarvale Cemetery in Bay City.

Historic Matagorda County, Volume II
 


Founder's Rule Is Guiding Hand Of Drug Company

In this day of specialization you do not take a delicate watch to a blacksmith for repairs nor do you call a surgeon to repair a leaking faucet. You would take the watch to the best jeweler available and you would call the most efficient plumber possible to fix the faucet.

The same holds true for medicines, prescriptions and medical supplies. That is why the Scott Drug Company is enjoying such a flourishing business.

Not only do the proprietors of this company, James E. and Herman M. Scott, have a thorough training for their work, both being registered pharmacists, but they also have a family tradition of giving the best materials and service possible in the drug and prescription line that it is possible to give. This tradition has been handed down them from their father, Dr. Edward Eugene Scott.

Dr. Scott was a native Texan and the son of a pioneer doctor and Ranger Captain, Dr. Morgan Jackson Scott. Dr. E. E. Scott was a graduate of the University of Louisville and had taken post graduate courses from time to time in Chicago, New York and New Orleans. He practiced medicine in El Campo, Hawley, Van Vleck and Matagorda before coming to Bay City. Here he practiced for 31 years until the time of his death on May 28 of this year. He was County Health Officer for the past seven years,

Dr. Scott was a member of the Texas Pharmaceutical Association, Stat Medical Association and the American Medical Association. He was a member of the Masonic and Shrine lodges and served on the vestry of the Episcopal Church of which he was a member. He was active in civic affairs and a great believer in the future and progress of Bay City.

The sons, who have taken over the drug business have also taken over his ideals of service and the training they received from their father prevents them from giving anything but the best of materials and workmanship in the preparation of prescriptions and medical supplies.

They handle drugs, drug sundries, cosmetics, liquors and Continental paints. They are active in civic affairs and are strong boosters and believers in Bay city.

Matagorda County Tribune, August 26, 1937
 



 



 

The Scott Drug Company was located at 117 S. Ave. G. with telephone number 129. The store had a prescription druggist and a complete drug store line. Specialties carried included Parke-Davis & Co. Pharmaceutical Products. The manager was Herman Scott son of Dr. E. E. Scott. Dr. Scott, who died in May, 1937, founded the store in 1923 and was County Health Officer. His office was on the second floor.

 

Copyright 2013 - Present by Carol Sue Gibbs
All rights reserved

Created
Sep. 7, 2013
Updated
Sep. 7, 2013
   

HOME