C
Family of
Philip F. & Helen Campbell

 
C

 



 



 



 


Philip Campbell
By Colleen Claybourn

Helen A. Campbell was born in Bell Center, Ohio, on July 1, 1867, where her father owned a bank. Helen's youth was spent in the study of music. She joined the Presbyterian Church there when she was quite young and served as organist and accompanist.

In 1891, she married Philip F. Campbell, a farmer from a large family. Philip was born in a log cabin and at twelve was obliged to abandon attempts at an education to help his family. When he and Helen were married, he was in the merchandising business in Atlanta, Ohio. Three children were born to their marriage: Alice, William Ramsey and Howard Criswell.

Alice remembered that her father was drawn by the same promise of golden opportunity and benign breezes which influenced so many to migrate to the Gulf Coast in those days soon after the turn of the century. After an excursion trip to the area, he brought his family to Ganado in 1905. He farmed rice there for there years and then moved to Palacios. Alice recalled that Palacios and the countryside were quite primitive then. They made the trip in a carriage, and she had to open fifteen gates along the way. A blue norther came up on the way and they stayed overnight at the Logan Plantation near Blessing.

In Palacios the Campbells lived directly across from the Presbyterian Church. P. F., Helen and Alice joined that church in 1908; Ramsey joined in 1909 and Howard in 1911.

P. F. Campbell engaged in the real estate business in Palacios. A Palacios Beacon in 1910 carried an ad by Wildman and Campbell: "There will never be another Palacios. There will never be another opportunity to procure an orchard adjoining the city. Buy today and be independent for life."

Mr. Campbell was a deacon in the church and served on the building committee for the sanctuary built in 1910. In 1924 he made possible the acquisition by the church of the lot and house next door to the church; this house became the Annex, used for Sunday School and other activities of the church.

Helen had a keen interest in the Women's Auxiliary and served as the first president. She turned her home into headquarters for visiting preachers and missionaries in the days before the church had a regular minister. When the one story house seemed too small, another story was added; the first story being jacked up and another story added underneath. The children were fond of saying, "Everywhere Mother goes, she raises the roof."

Philip died in July of 1938 and Helen moved to Bay City to be near her daughter Alice.

Alice, Ramsey and Howard grew up in Palacios and were graduated from high school there. Alice attended Texas Presbyterian College (later combined with Austin College) and Ramsey attended Austin College. Howard always said he barely made it through high school.

Alice was interested in music. She was taught by her mother, and later spent a year on voice and elocution at the Palacios Baptist Academy. When young Dr. Henry Loos came from Johns Hopkins to hang out his shingle in Palacios, he joined the Presbyterian Church. When World War I came along, Alice became his bride in the first of a series of war weddings in the church that year. Dr. Loos spent the entire war in San Antonio. After the war, they moved to Bay City. Alice was on the building committee of the Presbyterian Church there and also served as organist. They had three daughters: Dorothy Loos Belote, Winona Murphy, and Helen Margaret Cunningham.

Ramsey was with Benedum Oil for many years and also worked as an independent lease man. He married Eva Bowden, who was born in San Marcial, New Mexico, on December 15, 1909. She worked for Humble Oil Company until retirement in the sixties. Ramsey died in April of 1966.

Howard was born on October 12, 1900. He married first Grace Huitt, who was born in 1901. Howard was an insurance agent and worked in the real estate business in Palacios During World War II his ads in the Palacios Beacon included these two sayings:

They's Still Fighting--Are You Still Saving Waste Paper and Kitchen Fats?
What Can YOU Spare That They Can Wear?

Howard served his church in many capacities over the years. He was treasurer in 1939. The books were reported in good order "except for the possible payment of a small account of $5 a second time to the Presbyterian Book Store at Texarkana. Mr. Lipscomb was appointed to investigate this item." Mr. Campbell was later vindicated, and the $5 was refunded!

Howard had a quiet sense of humor. In "The Splash," the church newsletter during the Forties, it was reported that "Deacons in session last Wednesday evening voted to hire a full time secretary, one of the requirements being that she takes notes at the Deacons' meetings. Howard Campbell suggested her qualifications should include the ability to draw the deacons to the meeting." Howard also served as deacon, being ordained in 1941, and served as trustee for all the years from 1945 until his death. He served on the building committee for the Educational Building and for the new sanctuary built in 1951.

Howard and Grace had one child, who died in infancy. Grace died in 1966, and was buried at the Palacios Cemetery. He married secondly his brothers Ramsey's widow, Eva.

Howard was a member of the Masonic Lodge #990, the Eastern Star and the Rotary Club.

Eva died on September 8, 1983, and was buried at the Palacios Cemetery. Howard died on October 17, 1983, and was buried at the Palacios Cemetery. A resolution was passed by the Session of the First Presbyterian Church stated, "his support, with time, talents and money, over the years have been an inspiration to those who have worshipped and served with him."

Historic Matagorda County, Volume II, pages 70-72
 


Philip Finley Campbell

A prominent Palacios citizen died in a hospital at Bay City, July 2, after a serious illness of one week.

Mr. Campbell was born in Roundhead, Logan County, Ohio, on Nov. 12, 1865 and lived to the age of 72 years, 7 months and 20 days.

At the beginning of the development of Palacios, Mr. Campbell became interested in the Palacios Townsite Co., and has been in the Real Estate business here since coming to Palacios, excepting for the time he lived in Bay City a number of years ago.

Funeral services were held at Brandon Duffy Funeral Home, Tuesday, July 5, at 9 a. m. with Rev. E. Deutsch of the Presbyterian Church of Bay City and Rev. W. R. McPherson, pastor of the First Methodist Church of Palacios, officiating.

Burial was in the Palacios cemetery under the direction of Brandon Duffy Funeral Home. Pall bearers were: Ernest Wehmeyer, Roland Burton, Carlton Crawford, W. H. Clements, Jr., Glenn Claybourn of Palacios and Nabliet Hayes, of Newgulf, Texas.

Mr. Campbell is survived by his wife, one daughter, Mrs. H. H. Loos, Bay City; two sons, W. C. Campbell of this city and Ramsey Campbell of Arkansas.

Daily Tribune, July 8, 1938
 


Margaret Alice Campbell Loos
 


W. Ramsey Campbell, Former Resident, Is Buried Here Thursday

Funeral services for William Ramsey Campbell were held in the First Presbyterian Church in Baytown, Thursday, March 24, at 10 a. m. The Rev. Leslie Webb officiated at graveside services in the Palacios Cemetery at 1:30 p. m.

Son of the late Mr. and Mrs. P. F. Campbell he was born August 4, 1898 in Atlanta, Ohio. In 1903 he moved to Ganado, and to Palacios in 1907. He attended Palacios schools and graduated with the class of 1916, then attended Austin College in Sherman. He entered the army and following World War I lived in Palacios and Bay City for a few years, then entered the oil business. One June 27, 1938, he married Eva Bowden of Lampasas in Dallas. He died Tuesday, March 22, in Baytown, where he was an independent oil operator. He was a deacon in the First Presbyterian Church in Baytown.

Survivors include his wife, Eva Campbell of Baytown; a sister, Mrs. Alice Loos of Bay City; a brother, Howard C. Campbell of Palacios and several nieces and nephews.

Palacios Beacon, March, 1966
 


Eva Campbell

Funeral services for Eva Pearl Campbell, 73, were held Sept. 10 at the First Presbyterian Church with Rev. Elroy Weikel officiating. Interment followed at Palacios Cemetery.

Mrs. Campbell was born Dec. 15, 1909 in San Marcial, New Mexico and died Sept. 8, 1983. She was the daughter of George F. and Alice Suddeth Bowden. She grew up in Lampasas and had worked for Exxon for 25 years. She married Howard Campbell on Feb. 4, 1968 at which time they moved to Palacios.

Surviving in addition to her husband are several nieces and nephews.

Pallbearers were John Toellner, Norman Brotemarkle, R. B. Trull, Jack Goodner, Howard Tanner and Bruce Herlin.

Palacios Beacon, September, 1983
 


Howard Campbell

Funeral services for Howard Chriswell Campbell, 83, were held Oct. 18 at 3 p. m. at the First Presbyterian Church with Rev. Elroy Weikel and Rev. Robert Graham officiating. Interment followed at Palacios Cemetery.

Campbell was the son of P. F. Campbell and Helen Ramsey Campbell. He was an insurance agent, and a member of the Presbyterian Church, Masonic Lodge #990, Eastern Star and Rotary Club.

Survivors include his sister-in-law, Hilma Huitt of Bay City; two nieces, Winnona Loos Murphy and Helen Loos Cunningham of Houston; four nephews, Fred Huitt of Palacios, E. M. Huitt of Bay City, W. M. Huitt of Irving and Larry Huitt of Dallas; and numerous great nieces and nephews.

Palacios Beacon, October, 1983
 


Funeral Services For Mrs. H. C. Campbell Held Here Saturday

Funeral services for Mrs. Grace Huitt Campbell, who died Thursday night in the Matagorda General Hospital in Bay City, were held in the First Presbyterian Church of Palacios at 4 p. m. Saturday, May 14, with the Rev. Leslie E. Webb, Jr. officiating. Interment was in the Palacios Cemetery.

A resident of Palacios for 48 years she was born on April 26, 1901 in Isabel, Kansas, a daughter of James Frederick and Martha Bolin Huitt.

She was a member of the First Presbyterian Church, Order of the Eastern Star Chapter 125, and Circle No. 2 of the Presbyterian Church, of which she was treasurer and had served as president.

She is survived by her husband, Howard Campbell; two sisters, Mrs. James Stitzle of St. Petersburg, Florida and Mrs. Florence Wells of Brazil, Indiana; two brothers, Ernest R. Huitt of Isabel, Kansas and Webster Huitt of Wichita, Kansas and a number of nieces and nephews.

Palacios Beacon, May 1966
 


 




 




 

 



Campbell-Huitt Insurance Office Commerce & 4th Street 2013
 

Copyright 2008 - Present by the Campbell Family
All rights reserved

Created
Aug. 1, 2013
Updated
Aug. 1, 2013
   

HOME