On June 5, 1949, Melvin Epstein and Renee Lewis, daughter of Fannye and Max Lewis of Boling, were united in marriage at the Wharton Community Center with Rabbi Robert I. Kahn of Temple Emmanu El in Houston performing the ceremony. Twenty-five years later Melvin and Renee repeated their vows with Rabbi Kahn officiating in the sanctuary of Temple Emmanu El.
There were four children of this marriage:
Max Lewis was born on August 4, 1951, at Rugeley-Blasingame Hospital in Wharton. Max attended Dartmouth College, Vienna Academy of Music, and Northwestern University. In 1984 he was associated with the Metropolitan Opera Company in New York.
Jane Frances was born on April 13, 1953, in Bay City. She attended the University of Texas and received her Doctorate Degree in Psychology from Tulane University.
Robert Andrew was born on May 7, 1955, in Houston. He received his Bachelors degree from The University of Texas and his Master of Business Administration from Southern Methodist University.
Betty Ann was born on May 28, 1960, in Houston. She attended Southwest Texas State University.
Melvin Epstein’s first address in 1926 was 1507 Drew Street, Houston, Texas. From there the family moved to Kingsville and the to Bay City in 1931. The Epstein’s lived first in rooms rented from Mr. and Mrs. R. O. Kiser located at 1407 Seventh Street. Later the family rented homes at 1304 Sixth Street and Cottonwood at Fifth Street. In 1939 the Hite brothers built the Epstein home at 2900 Sixth Street.
Melvin attended Mrs. Blair’s kindergarten, Jefferson Davis Grammar School, Texas Military Institute, 1940-1941, and graduated from Bay City High School in 1943. He attended The University of Texas and the University of Houston, and received his Bachelor of Arts degree in January, 1948.
After their marriage in June of 1949, Renee and Melvin rented an apartment at 1010 Eighth Street from Ken Horton and later a house at 2412 Eighth Street from Esther Goldmon. In 1953 they moved to 2900 Sixth Street and rented that home for seventeen years. Melvin, Renee and their family moved into their first owned home at 1921 Linda Lane in May, 1970.
Melvin was active in the Rotary Club with over twenty-five years of perfect attendance, and was also instrumental in the organization of the Festival Arts Association in 1980, in which, in 1986, he remained an active participant. During his tenure in the above, he served as president of both of these organizations. He also served as director on the Western Gulf Financial Board, served on the Industrial Foundation, and was a sponsor of the Interact Club. In addition he served for ten years as superintendent of Sunday Schools at Shearith Israel Congregation, Wharton, Texas.
Renee was a partner with Melvin in business and family life.
She was graduated from
High School in 1944, and attended The University of Texas. She
served as director for Festival Arts Association and was a member of
the Junior Service League. Renee’s grandfather, Morris Cohen Levine
was an early settler in Wharton County. Morris and Minnie Levine
arrived in Glen Flora by covered wagon in 1889, and Morris Levine
was one of the eleven founders of Shearith Israel Congregation in
1910. Their daughter, Fannye, was born in Wharton on
September 13, 1895, and married Max Lewis, who was born in
Riga, Latvia, on
June 18, 1889. Fannye died on November 16, 1950, and Max died on
March 30, 1954. They were buried in Wharton at Sheareth Israel
Historic Matagorda County, Volume II, pp 146-147
Typed for this page by Faye Cunningham.
Copyright 2007 -
Present by the Epstein Family
|This page was created
Mar. 2, 2008
|This page was updated
Mar. 2, 2008