Search billions of records on


Dr. Philip Evander Parker
Family Obituaries


Philip Hackley Parker

Parker Family Photographs



Lula R. Strong was born January 31, 1863, in Hampton, Arkansas.  She was married to Philip E. Parker November 25, 1885, moved to Bay City, Texas, March 1902, and died October 19, 1935.


Such is the chronicle of a life which was full, vibrant, joyous, busy in service to others.


Way back yonder on the Arkansas plantation, this little girl, Lula Strong, was born and learned how to live, in a home controlled and dominated by Christian parents.  She learned that “to live” meant “to share.”  When we recall the history of the days of the “dismal 60’s”, we realize what “to share” meant to a young girl, especially living a plantation life.  Such was the girlhood of Lula Strong.  It was during those trying days that she met Philip E. Parker, and the days of romance and of courtship began for them.  Later came days of separation when Philip went to New Orleans to attend medical department of Tulane University.  After his graduation they were married with all the grandeur and dignity of an old time plantation wedding and wedding feast.  The young couple lived in Stephens, Arkansas, where Dr. Parker practiced his profession.  Moving to Bay City in 1902, they immediately established themselves as splendid citizens among neighbors and friends.  Their usefulness grew with the years.  Mrs. Parker had been reared in the Methodist Church, while Dr. Parker was a member of the Presbyterian Church, and when a congregation of that denomination was organized in Bay City both Dr. Parker and Mrs. Parker became members of it. 


The trio of them were identified with all that was worthwhile in Bay City, giving of themselves to the social and religious activities all the time.


Dr. Parker’s tragic death came one day in October 1914, just a few days before they would have celebrated their thirtieth wedding anniversary.  Herbert and Helen, the two children in the home, were the comfort and solace of the mother in her days of loneliness.  The once happy home was one of sorrow, for there was the vacant chair.


After a long time, Mrs. Parker tried to pick up the threads of active life, but she could never just be as energetic and interested in outside activities, so she spent most of her later life for her children and their children.  These grandchildren occupied such a large part of her life that Mrs. Parker gradually “let go” of things she once loved to do and contented herself with the things of home.  Her strength began to fail her and she could no longer read, as had been her consolation.  Those bright sparkling eyes lost their luster, and she couldn’t see!


All of these years of affliction we find our friend practicing “sharing” with others, but now she had only herself to share and to give.  This she did unstintedly and graciously, to those around her.  Her vitality at last gave way and she drifted off into that dreamless sleep, and to clasp the hands “over there” that had been hers to clasp over here. 


Her children are in homes which they have created for themselves, and where “grandma” will be the sweetest memory they can ever know. 


Mrs. Parker will live, not only in the hearts and homes of Herbert and Helen Parker, but in the history of Bay City, both in civic life and in church life.


Her last day out of her home was when she attended the U. D. C. meeting with Mrs. Pier.  We were so happy to have her and in her little weak voice she said, "I can't see you, but I hear your voice, and know you." On that last social visit, Lula Parker talked and laughed with us, not realizing her next call would be "come up here, we need you," but so is life, here today, tomorrow gathering flowers in the "Master's garden."

We are glad we had you, dear friend, in Bay City, and with sad hearts did we let you "go away."

A Friend.


Unidentified Newspaper,  Friday, February 7, 1936





Mrs. Lula Parker, one of Bay City’s oldest citizens, died at her home on East Sixth Street today at 11:30 a.m., after an illness of several weeks. 


The funeral will be held Sunday afternoon, October 20, at 3:30 o’clock under the direction of Walker-Matchett, with religious ceremonies at the Presbyterian Church, conducted by her pastor, Rev. Ernest F. Deutsch. 


Mrs. Parker, relict of the late Dr. W.F. Parker, is survived by a son and daughter, Herbert Parker and Mrs. Jack Hinton, both of this city.


A more extended notice will appear later.


Newspaper and October 19, 1935

[ Mrs. Parker died on October 19, 1935]


Photo courtesy of Betty Crosby


By Hunting Companion Who Mistook Him For A Deer--Resting Easy.

Our city was shocked Wednesday noon by the news that Dr. P. E. Parker, a prominent practitioner of this city, had been seriously wounded by Mr. John Blum, a companion in a deer hunt.


A party consisting of Dr. P. E. Parker, P. E. McLendon, R. F. Anderson, John Blum, and James Tabb went out in an automobile early Wednesday for a deer hunt on Caney. They had crossed Caney and scattered out through the woods for a mile or more. Mr. Blum getting sight of Dr. Parker's fawn-colored coat in the brush and taking it for the much coveted deer, fired at it, and going to the spot was greeted by Dr. Parker with the remark that "You've got me; I'm shot."


The others of the party were called, and the party started for the auto. The Doctor stood the walk of a mile or more well, without any apparent inconvenience, though the ball had entered his abdomen, and the wound must have been very painful.


Dr. Parker was conveyed to the hospital where he had the best attention of his fellow doctors. The wound was probed and the ball found to have cut the intestines and the gall bladder and lodged in the liver. The ball was not extracted, the physicians thinking it best to wait developments.


Mr. Blumm was very much grieved at his mistake, and with the unfortunate doctor shares the sympathy of their many friends.


The Dr. is very low at 11 this a.m., apparently sinking fast.


Matagorda County News and Midcoast Farmer, Friday, October 16, 1914



While engaged in hunting on Linnville Creek, 12 miles east of town, at 10:30 o'clock this morning, Dr. P. E. Parker, a prominent physician of this city, was mistaken for a deer by Mr. J. J. Blum, one of his hunting companions, and was accidentally shot, one No. 8 buckshot entering his body just below the floating ribs on his left side and ranging to the right. The injured man was conveyed home, reaching there at 1 o'clock this afternoon, and was immediately taken to the Bay City Hospital, where he will undergo an operation this afternoon for the removal of the shot. It is not believed that his injury is serious.


Accompanying the doctor and Mr. Blum were Messrs. R. F. Anderson, P. A. McLendon and Jim Tabb, and all five were hunting. Mr. Anderson and Dr. Parker were near each other, while Mr. Blum was some distance away. Seeing Dr. Parker and being deceived by the latter's brown clothing, Mr. Blum mistook him for a deer and shot deliberately at his human target. Fortunately only one of the shot hit the doctor.


At first it was not thought the injured man was seriously hurt, as he walked fully a mile and a half to Mr. Anderson's auto, in which he was brought hurriedly to town.


The Daily Tribune, October 14, 1914



Dr. Parker of Bay City Shot While Hunting.

(Houston Post Special.)

BAY CITY, Texas, October 16.--Dr. P. E. Parker, who was accidentally shot while hunting Wednesday morning, died at the Bay City hospital at 10:30 o'clock this morning from the effects of his wound.


Funeral services will be held at the Presbyterian church tomorrow afternoon at 3 o'clock, Rev. L. E. Selfridge officiating. Interment will be made in Cedarvale Cemetery.


Houston Post, October 16, 1914



Dr. Philip Evander Parker died from an accidental gunshot wound, at his home in Bay City, Texas, October 16, 1914. He was born in Alabama, December 20, 1858, spent his youth at Mount Holly, Arkansas, graduated at Tulane University, and returned to Arkansas to practice medicine. He moved to Texas in 1902.

He was a man of high ideals and positive convictions, and served for many years as a deacon in the Presbyterian church. Before going on the operating table he declared, "I am not afraid to die. All is well." He was idolized by the poor people of his community and held in the highest regard by all classes. He leaves a widow, two children, and a host of friends to mourn his departure.

Newspaper and date unknown 


Dr. Philip E. Parker, the subject of this sketch, whose tragic and untimely and greatly lamented death occurred at 10:30 o'clock Friday morning, October 16th, was a native of Alabama, being born in that State on December 20, 1858. He was, therefore, at the time of his demise aged 55 years, 9 months and 26 days. In his youth he moved with his parents to Arkansas, afterwards for a while residing in Texas and then returning to Arkansas, residing for a number of years at Stephens, in that State.


Choosing for his life work the medical profession, Dr. Parker entered Tulane University at New Orleans, graduating from that famous institution in 1885, and the same year he entered actively upon the practice of his profession, an activity that lasted up to the time of the unfortunate occurrence that cost him his life. He located in Bay City on March 2, 1902, devoting his entire time to his profession.


In his family relations Dr. Parker was especially kind and indulgent, and in his professional relation he was extremely patient and sympathetic. He was likewise in good repute with his fellow practitioners, being ethical in all things and manifesting a spirit of cordiality towards other doctors.


On all moral questions, Dr. Parker entertained decided opinions, and in the exercise of his citizenship he felt it to be his duty at all times and under all circumstances to reveal his position with respect to men and measures, never showing any disposition to conceal his opposition to those whom he conceived to be in the wrong.


Dr. Parker was a member of the Bay City Presbyterian Church and was faithful in the discharge of his church duties. He was also a member of Bay City Lodge No. 241, Knights of Pythias.

Surviving him is his widow and two children; also two brothers, one residing in Houston, and the other, Walter L. Parker, residing here; also two sisters, one residing at Hope, Ark., and the other at Sherman, Texas. It was on account of the inability of his relatives residing at a distance to reach Bay City earlier than today that the funeral was postponed until tomorrow.

The contributory cause of Dr. Parker's death was, as has been previously stated in these columns, from a gunshot wound accidentally received, and the immediate cause was what his attending physicians term delayed shock. He was perfectly rational up to the time of his dissolution and passed away without any manifestations of pain.


The funeral will be held under the auspices of the Knights of Pythias lodge. Religious services over the remains will take place at the Presbyterian Church Sunday afternoon at 3 o'clock, Rev. L. E. Selfridge, the pastor, officiating, after which the Pythian lodge members will take charge and conduct the ritualistic ceremonies at the grave in Cedarvale Cemetery.


The brother-physicians of their deceased confrere will constitute the active pallbearers, being as follows: Dr. K. D. Curtis, Dr. A. S. Morton, Dr. W. W. Bouldin, Dr. E. E. Scott, Dr. B. A. Phillips and Dr. J. R. Elliott.


The honorary pall bearers will be the following: M. S. Perry, W. S. Willard, S. R. Ramsey, A. R. Harrison, G. M. Magill, W. C. Foulks, L. Y. Smith, W. C. Lloyd, Dr. J. E. Simons, Dr. J. R. Wagner, Dr. J. W. Reed, Dr. Bat Smith, Dr. C. P. Jones, Dr. Clay Moore, Dr. S. A. Foote.


The Daily Tribune, October 17, 1914




I want to express for myself and family heartfelt gratitude to all our friends for their kindness to us during the darkest and saddest hours of my life.


First to the dear physicians who ministered so tenderly and faithfully to my dear husband and with untiring efforts did all that human power could do to save him.


Then to our near and dear friends who tried in so many ways, with love and service, to lighten those dark, sad hours.


And for the beautiful floral offerings, that last tribute to him, who was the object of my supremest love, and who was to so many of you the beloved physician and friend.


With a broken heart,

Mrs. P. E. Parker




Dr. Philip E. Parker, one of Bay City's most prominent physicians, and citizens, who was accidentally shot by Mr. John Blum, a companion, while hunting on Caney Wednesday, October 14th, died Friday morning, October 16th, at 10:30 o'clock. Dr. Parker was a great man; a man who was always cheerful, meeting his friends at all times with a smile and at all times ready and willing to help those who needed his assistance. As a physician, Dr. Parker leaves a host of friends in Matagorda County who loved him as one of their own family. Dr. Parker was so kind and sympathetic in sickness, always ready to go and do all he could for his fellowman. His very presence was a blessing to every home he visited, he was so friendly and pleasant in all his conversations that even the little one could often be heard to say, "Dr. Parker is my doctor," and even on the streets you could see little children shaking hands with Dr. Parker, and as he would be passing making his visits to the sick you could so often hear him say hello baby. Dr. Parker was a good man--if he ever had an enemy he never knew it; he was a man who considered friendship more valuable than riches; he was a Christian, always ready to contribute to the cause of Christianity, and to the poor and needy. How sad, indeed, that we had to give up such a good man, such a useful man, a man who will be missed so much in sickness, as even so in friendship. It seems strange and sad to us that a man who was of such service and who had such great influence for good upon his fellowman as did Dr. Parker, should be called away from our midst at such a time as was least expected, even yet we realize that God's ways are not man's ways, and even in this sad hour we should really rejoice to know that Dr. Parker lived such a pure life here that Jesus said, "Well done, thou good and faithful servant, come home." Our friends may die and leave our hearts and homes desolate for a time; we cannot prevent it, nor would it be best if we could. Sorrow has its useful lessons when it is legitimate, and death is the gate that opens out of earth toward the home "eternal in the heavens." If we lose them, heaven gains them; if we mourn, they rejoice; if we hang our harps on the willow, they tune theirs in the eternal orchestra above, rejoicing that we shall soon be with them. Death to them that be God's dear children, is no other thing than the dispatches of all displeasure, the end of all travel, the door of desire, the gate of gladness, the path of paradise, the haven of heaven, the entrance of felicity, the beginning of all blissfulness. It is the very bed of down for the doleful bodies of God's people to rest in, out of which they rise and awake most fresh and lusty to everlasting life. It is a passage to the Father, a chariot to heaven, the Lord's messenger, a going to our home, a deliverance from bondage, a dismission from war, a security from all sorrows, and a manumission from all misery. Should we be dismayed at it? Should we trouble to hear of it? Should such a friend as it be unwelcome? Death is but true life to a true believer in Christ; it is not his last day, nor his worst day, but in the highest sense, his best day, and the beginning of his better life. A  Christian's dying day is his enlarging day, when he is freed from the prison in which he has long been detained, and brought home to his Father's house. A Christian's dying day is his resting day, when he shall rest from all sin, care and trouble; his reaping day, when he shall reap the fruit he has sown in tears and faith; his conquering day, when he shall triumph over every enemy, and even death itself shall die; his transplanting day, from earth to heaven; his robing day, to put off the old worn-out rags of flesh, and put on the new and glorious robes of light; his marriage day; the day of his glory; the beginning of his eternal, perfect bliss with Christ. Dr. Parker was a perfect Christian gentleman in every sense of the word. A man who was always loyal to his fellowman, his church and his Saviour. Why should we so grieve his departure from our midst? Oh, the expectation of living ere, and of living thus always, would be indeed a prospect of overwhelming despair! But thanks be to that fatal decree that dooms us to die! Thanks to that gospel which opens the vision of an endless life! and thanks, above all, to that Saviour friend who has promised to conduct all the faithful through the sacred trance of death, into scenes of paradise and everlasting delight. Death breaks the carnal bondage, sets the imprisoned spirit free, closing a toilsome career of infelicity; opening the door of immortal happiness, returning the soul to is own, original and glorious home; to go no more out forever. Shall we not drown our sorrow in the flood of light let through the rent vail of the skies which Jesus entered, and, to cure our loneliness, gather to us other friends to walk life's way, knowing that every step brings us nearer the departed, and his sweet, eternal home, and where partings are never known? We may, and, shall still love our departed loved one. He is ours as ever, and we are his. The ties that unite us are not broken. They are too strong for death's stroke. Our departed loved one wishes not to see us in sorrow. He doubtless sympathizes with us, and could we hear his sweet voice, he would tell us to dry our tears and bind ourselves to other friends, and joyfully perform all duties on earth till out time to ascend shall come. The sorrow of our departed loved ones is the only sorrow from which we refuse to be divorced. Every other wound we seek to heal, every other affliction to forget; but this would we consider it a duty to keep open; this affliction we cherish and brood over in solitude.


Dr. Philip E. Parker was born in the State of Alabama December 20, 1858. Having moved with his parents to Arkansas and until the year 1902 he resided at Stephens, in that State.

He located at Bay City March 2, 1902.


Dr. Parker was a competent and most worthy physician, faithful and conscientious in his profession, true to all his obligations with his fellowman and his God. The community has lost a good, honorable, upright citizen, a most competent and useful physician.


Peace to his ashes.

Mr. and Mrs. Chas. Young


Newspaper and date unknown




Resolutions adopted by the board of deacons of the Presbyterian Church, Bay City, Texas, on the death of Dr. P. E. Parker, who died on October 16th, 1914:

In as much as it has been the will of our Heavenly Father in His all wise providence to call to His eternal reward Dr. P. E. Parker, our senior deacon, co-worker and friend, we, the board of deacons of the Presbyterian Church, Bay City, Texas, symbolizing our love and devotion to the Christian character of our departed brother, and to express to his family our deepest sympathy, do adopt the following resolutions:

1. Resolved that we bow in humble submission to the will of God in removing from our midst a valued, devoted and consecrated officer.

2. That the community has lost a friend who studied its welfare, and sought to promote the cause of righteousness therein.

3. That, both from a sense of the value of his service to the church, and from the grief we feel, personally, we mourn his death.

4. That we extend to his loved ones our sympathy and comfort in their affliction, praying that they may have the abiding presence of their Heavenly Father, and the comfort of his Holy Spirit in their sorrow and bereavement.

5. That these resolutions be sent to the members of his family, that a copy thereof be sent to The Daily Tribune for publication, and that they be spread upon the minutes of the board of deacons, and that a blank page of our minute-book be dedicated to his memory, and appropriate inscription be made thereupon.

G. M. Magill, S. R. Ramsey, Wm. C. Foulks,Committee of Board of Deacons.

The Daily Tribune, date unknown



Resolutions adopted by the Woman's Auxiliary of the Bay City, Texas, Presbyterian Church upon the death of Dr. P. E. Parker.


Whereas, God in His all-wise providence has seen fit to remove from the sphere of his earthly labors our dear friend, Dr. Philip E. Parker, we, the members of the Woman's Auxiliary, have adopted the following resolutions:


1. That though this sudden and tragic death is one of the mysteries of providence which we cannot understand, yet we know that the loving Heavenly Father never needlessly inflicts a wound, so we bow in submission to His will "who does all things well."


2. That our church which Dr. Parker served so faithfully as deacon for eleven years, and this community to which he ministered as a skillful and beloved physician, have suffered an irreparable loss.


3. That we wish to express our sincere appreciation of and our high esteem for this consecrated Christian gentleman, whose purity of life, devotion to his family, faithfulness to his duties as an office in the church and as a physician, and whose large charity in his practice known only to himself and to those to whom he ministered, made him an influence for good in this place.


4. That though we realize the inefficiency of words to express our feelings or to give comfort, yet we wish to speak our loving and heartfelt sympathy to the heartbroken widow and children and brother of the deceased, and to pray that God who comforteth those that are cast down may comfort them.


5. That a copy of these resolutions be spread upon the minutes of the Auxiliary, a copy furnished to The Daily Tribune for publication, and a copy sent to the bereaved family.


(Signed), Mrs. Wm. C. Foulks, Mrs. J. Walter Magill, Mrs. E. E. Ruse, Committee

The Daily Tribune, date unknown


Photo courtesy of Betty Crosby


Walter L. Parker

Photo courtesy of Betty Crosby

Helen Parker Hinton


Funeral services for Mrs. Helen Parker Hinton, 83, of Bay City, were scheduled for 3 p.m. Sunday August 14, at the First Presbyterian Church with the Rev. Frank Seaman officiating.


Interment will be at Cedarvale Cemetery.


Mrs. Hinton died Aug 12 at Matagorda General Hospital.


She leaves her husband D. B. “Jack” Hinton; two daughters, Lula Mae Hinton and Sarah Hinton Hilton, both of Bay City; one son, David Parker Hinton of Bay City; and four grandchildren.


Mrs. Hinton was a member of the First Presbyterian Church and was a member of The Order of the Eastern Star.


Funeral arrangements were made through Taylor Bros. Funeral Home.


The Daily Tribune, August 14, 1983


Photo courtesy of Betty Crosby

David Boyd Hinton




Eugene Earl Parker, 83, of Slidell, Louisiana died Tuesday, January 25, 2005 in Chalmette Medical Center, Chalmette, Louisiana.


Visitation will be 9 to 10 a.m., Thursday at Honaker Funeral Home in Slidell, Louisiana with Dr. John Spalding officiating.  Graveside services will be at 2 p.m. in Fayette Cemetery in Fayette, Mississippi with the Rev. Paul Means of Covenant Presbyterian Church in Jackson, Mississippi officiating.


Mr. Parker was a Safety Engineer for the Fireman’s Fund Insurance Co.  He was a native of Bay City but lived most of his life in Little Rock, Arkansas and Jackson, Mississippi.*


He attended the University of Texas and was a member of the Chi Phi Fraternity.  He was a Presbyterian and was a WWII veteran.


He was preceded in death by his wife, Virginia Truly Groome Parker.  At the time of his death he was a resident of Camellia Gardens Retirement Community in Slidell, Louisiana.


Memorials may be made to Mississippi Animal Rescue League, 4395 South Drive, Jackson, Mississippi. 


Arrangements were by Honaker Funeral Home, Inc., Slidell, Louisiana.


The Daily Tribune, January 25, 2005

*Mr. Parker actually lived in Texas most of his life and moved to Arkansas and Mississippi in later years.


Mary Elizabeth Barnes


Private services were held for Mary Elizabeth Barnes, 71, of Las Vegas, Nevada.  Burial followed in Woodlawn Cemetery, Las Vegas.


Mrs. Barnes was born September 11, 1918, in Bay City to Herbert H. And Allie Hazle Parker and died November 22, 1989, in Las Vegas following a short illness.


She attended schools in Bay City.  She attended Austin College in Sherman and received her bachelor of science degree in education at the University of Nevada-Reno in 1964, being one of the first graduates from the Las Vegas branch.  She received her master’s degree in history and geography from Northern Arizona University, Flagstaff, Arizona, in 1968.  She taught in the elementary grades in Clark County, Las Vegas, for 18 years, retiring in 1979. 


She is survived by a brother, Eugene E. Parker, of Jackson, Mississippi.


Mrs. Barnes was preceded in death by her husband, S. R. Barnes; parents, Herbert H. And Allie Hazle Parker; and a brother, Philip Parker, a pilot killed during World War II, all of Bay City.


In lieu of flowers, donations can be made to the Nathan Adelson Hospice, 4141 S. Swenson, Las Vegas.


Arrangements were with Palm Mortuary, Las Vegas, Nevada.


Bay City Tribune, November 29, 1989


Parker family obituaries courtesy of the Parker-Hinton family.
School pictures courtesy of Matagorda County Museum Archives.
Military picture of Eugene Earl Parker courtesy of Philip H. Parker VFW 2438.


Copyright 2008 - Present by The Parker Family
All rights reserved

Jan. 16, 2008
Jan. 30, 2008