Search billions of records on

Technician Fifth Grade E. Carter Jones
U. S. Army
Ser. #
18 228 116

October 7, 1926 - November 18, 1946
Cedarvale Cemetery
Bay City, Matagorda County, Texas


Gold Star Mother Lucy Vandiver Jones

T/5 E. Carter Jones
Task Force Frigid Bud Budvarson
File Photo 1946

"Devils in Baggy Pants"

Technician Fifth Grade E. Carter Jones, U. S. Army [October 7, 1926 - November 18, 1946] was born to Thad Carter “T. C.” Jones [June 22, 1901 - February 18, 1980] and Lucy (Vandiver) Jones [August 29, 1901 - July 20, 1985] at Matagorda County, Texas. When Carter was born the family was living in Matagorda County, then they moved to Freeport, Brazoria County and then returned to Matagorda County. Information about Carter’s military service is very sketchy at best. According to the news article concerning his death, it states he had been in service approximately three years at the time of the accident, which would indicate he had joined c.1943/44. There is an enlistment record stating he enlisted March 23, 1946 - which was a re-enlistment.  This was done at Fort Bragg NC where the 82nd Airborne Division was located.  Following the surrender of Germany, the 82nd was ordered to Berlin for occupation duty.  The division returned to the United States January 3, 1946.  Instead of being demobilized, the 82nd made its permanent home at Fort Bragg, NC, and was designated a regular Army division on November 14, 1948.  In early 1946 the U.S. Army announced that three special task forces would be organized to conduct winter exercises.  Task Force WILLIWAW was destined for Adak (in the Aleutian Islands); Task Force FROST was destined for Camp (now Fort) McCoy WI; and the largest being Task Force FRIGID (Carter’s assignment) with 1500 military personnel, was also sent to Alaska.  Both FRIGID and WILLIWAW formed at Ft. Ord, CA while FROST assembled at Camp McCoy. TF FRIGID sailed from San Francisco, CA on September 7, 1946 arriving at Whittier, AK on September the 11th, and arrived at its home for the winter - Ladd Field (Now Ft. Wainwright) on September 12th. In September 1945 relations between the U.S. and the Soviet Union worsened and the possibility of armed conflict played an important role in the Army’s plan to conduct winter operations in the Arctic.  TF FRIGID was termed a unique outfit comprising “one of everything” in the Army ground forces.  On November 18th a mass parachute jump was conducted in which Carter participated.  According to ground observers his chute tripped from the carrier as it was supposed to do, but failed to billow out and retard his drop as did his reserve parachute. His remains were returned to Bay City and interred at Cedarvale Cemetery.  He was survived by his parents, T. C. and Lucy, who were living in Bay City.

Remembrances of T/5 Richard N. "Bud" Budvarson
Company A 505th 82nd Airborne
Task Force Frigid 1946-1947
Ladd Field, Fairbanks, Alaska

T/5 Budvarson served with T/5 E. Carter Jones on Task Force Frigid and upon finding this page dedicated to T/5 Jones, sent the following remembrances and four pictures.

I was asked to go with Task Force Frigid as the Official Photographer for the 82nd Airborne. My job in the Army Airborne was "Official U.S. Army News Photographer." I was drafted into the Army in 1944 and after Airborne Jump School I got into Photography School and became an Official Airborne News Photographer and I only carried News Cameras. The War ended in Aug. 1945 and I was to be discharged Dec. 13, 1945. In Nov. 1945 as my discharge time was getting close my commanding Officer asked me if I would volunteer to be the Official Photographer for the Special Task Force the Army was putting together. This would mean I had to re-enlist into the Regular Army for the duration of the Task Force, which I did Dec. 14, 1945. In reading T/5 Carter Jones story he also re-enlisted in the army so he did the same thing I did. That was why his story showed a re-enlistment into the Army as he was asked to volunteer. Everyone on the Task Force was a specialist in what they did or they would not have been asked to go. When you are asked to volunteer by your commanding Officer it is hard to turn down as it makes you feel special. In reality Task Force Frigid was a total Volunteer Task Force but you had to be asked to volunteer so everyone felt special to do the job at hand. We were all still young kids but felt old after the war.

I jumped with him when he jumped and witnessed the double streamers as we in the airborne called it when both the main parachute did not bellow out and we called it a streamer. Then Carter pulled the reserve parachute and it also went into a streamer, hence the double streamers and it killed him. I remember we had a memorial for him which I attended at our base at Ladd Field, Fairbanks, Alaska.

After the war and my discharge I continued on in News Photography and after School under the GI Bill I have been in the newspaper publishing business all my life. I started my life time career during WW II.

June 21, 2013




T/5 E. Carter Jones was killed Monday in a mass parachute jump, according to a War Department telegram received by his mother, Mrs. T. C. Jones, here.


According to information received from the United Press Bureau in Washington, the youthful soldier was a member of the 505th Parachute regiment stationed at Ladd Field, Alaska.  T/5 Jones was with Task Force Frigid at the time of his death.


Carter, as he was known to his friends here, has been in the Army approximately three years.  He was recently reassigned to Task Force Frigid and left for Alaska with his unit several months age.


No further details concerning the young man’s death were immediately available.


The Daily Tribune, Friday, November 22, 1946

Army Sergeant Writes

Of Jones’ Death


A letter with a clipping from the Fairbanks Miner enclosed was received here this morning from S/SGT J. S. Orsak of Co. B, 66th Tank Battalion of Task Force Frigid.  The clipping concerned the recent death of T/5 E. C. Jones who was killed in a mass parachute jump during maneuvers.  The sergeant’s unit was on maneuvers at the time T/5 Jones was killed.


The Miner item states that a board of officers is conducting an investigation to determine the exact cause of the accident.  It also was reported that ground observers said that Jones’ parachute tripped from the carrier, but failed to billow out and retard his drop.


Memorial services were held Saturday in the Ladd Field Post Chapel.


Jones’ parents, Mr. and Mrs. T. C . Jones reside here.


The Daily Tribune, Wednesday, November 27, 1946


T/5 E. Carter Jones with Honor guard after Memorial service
at Ladd Field Chapel, Fairbanks, Alaska Dec. 1946
Task Force Frigid Bud Budvarson File Photo Dec. 1946

T/5 E. Carter Jones placed in transport vehicle after Memorial Services
at Ladd Field Chapel, Fairbanks, Alaska. Dec. 1946
Task Force Frigid Bud Budvarson File Photo Dec. 1946

This photo taken in 1947 during a Task Force Frigid parachute jump a month after Trooper Carter Jones was killed with a parachute double streamer.

The man on top is Pfc. Kenyon & on bottom is Cpl. Harris. They drifted together in mid air and Cpl. Harris's parachute collapsed. Kenyon quick thinking held onto Harris's parachute lines and both landed safe in the snow. Jumping out of airplanes with a WW II parachute was not a safe thing to do. But these special men did it and helped win WW II.



Task Force Frigid Bud Budvarson File photo, Jan., 1947



Memorial services for Lucy Vandiver Jones, 83, of Bay City, will be held at 11 a.m. Saturday at First United Methodist Church of Bay City with the Rev. Bill Leediker officiating.

Mrs. Jones was born Aug. 29, 1901, in Texas, and died July 20, 1985, at Matagorda General Hospital.

She was a member of the Bay City Rebekah Lodge, Gold Star Mothers of the American Legion and First United Methodist Church of Bay City. She was a charter member of the Pink Ladies at Matagorda General Hospital and was named Woman of the Year of Bay City in 1960.

Survivors include a daughter, Linda Mann of Bay City, two sisters, Jane Lee and Nora Zeweckies of Richmond; a brother, W. G. Vandiver of Bay City; two grandsons, William Carter Mann of Needville and John Floyd Mann of Kosse, Texas; four great-grandchildren; several nieces and nephews.

She was preceded in death by her husband, Thad Jones, and a son, Carter Jones.

In her will, Mrs. Jones donated her body for medical study.

In lieu of flowers, the family requests that memorials be made to a favorite charity.

The Daily Tribune, July 1985

Photo courtesy of Faye Cunningham


Thad Carter Jones, 78, of Bay City, died at Matagorda General Hospital on February 18. He was a member of the AARP and was a retired oil field driller. He was a resident for the past 25 years. Survivors include: wife, Lucy Vandiver Jones of Bay City; daughter, Linda Mann of Bay City; preceded in death by his son E. Carter Jones who was killed in World War II; two grandchildren: Billy Carter Mann and John Floyd Mann; one great-grandchild, Brandi Mann, numerous nieces and nephews. The funeral will be held on Wednesday at the Taylor Brothers Chapel at 10:30 a.m. Arrangements made with Taylor Brothers Funeral Home.

The Daily Tribune, February 18, 1980


Copyright 2006 - Present by Carol Sue Gibbs
All rights reserved

Jan. 30, 2006
Jun. 25, 2013