HARRIS

CEMETERY


Picture was taken in 1991-92 and is courtesy of Myra Bhrlik & Matagorda County Museum.

 


Harris Cemetery was established in 1890. The cemetery is located south of Bay City on private property. The nine graves in the cemetery were inventoried in September 1983 by Edward and Billie Jean Reynal and published in the Matagorda County Genealogical Society publication, Oak Leaves, February 1994. DIRECTIONS
 


Family of T. J. Harris
 


Harris, Thomas J.
Caney Rifles Mtd. Co 22 Brig Texas Militia, CSA, Sept. 30, 1840 - Oct. 9, 1907

Harris, Norman   Nov. 9, 1878 - July, 1890 s/o Thomas J. & Amanda Savage Harris, was killed by lightning while working on the barn roof

Braezel, Infant died before 1900, child of a family passing through the area

Blackburn, Infant, child of a family passing through the area

Snider, Parry

Neuman, T. J., a young man from Oklahoma who was traveling through the country breaking horses. He was killed when a horse threw him and broke his neck

Loman, John, died Feb. 20, 1915 and was buried Feb. 21, 1915, death record indicates he was 100 years old - a neighbor of the Harris family and married

Ryman, Henry David, Jr. (baby), July 1, 1905 - July 14, 1905 s/o Henry David & Jane Savage Harris Ryman

Hale, Infant, March 26, 1911 - March, 29 1911, s/o William Marion & Ida May Brown Hale (child of a neighbor of the Harris family)

NOTE: Margaret Snadden Cook Harris, the second wife of Thomas J. Harris was a midwife which might explain why there are several infants buried in the cemetery.
 

 

Copyright 2004 - Present by Carol Sue Gibbs
All rights reserved

Created
Dec. 2, 2004
Updated
Jul. 16, 2008
   

HOME