|Sinclair David Gervais, born
February 21, 1779, in Charleston, South Carolina, came
to Matagorda from Yazoo, Mississippi, in 1835, after the
death of his wife. He received land grant #65 for one
league and labor of land. Gervais became the second
county judge of Matagorda County in 1837, a post he held
until his death in 1838.
Judge Gervais' father, John Lewis Gervais, was born in
France, but left during the times of religious
persecution. John Lewis was a military man in England.
Since he came to South Carolina before the American
Revolution, he served as a colonel in the American army
during the Revolution. His son, Paul T., was an
Episcopal minister. Paul's daughter married a man named
Robinson, and their daughter, Susan , married William
Judge Gervais was the father of
four children: Mary Ann, John Lewis, Eliza Amelia and
Claudinia Olivia. His daughter, Mary Ann, married a Mr.
Turnbull had lived in Washington County, Misissippi. A
son, John Lewis Gervais, resided in Warren County,
Eliza Amelia Gervais married
Joseph W. J. Niles, editor and publisher of county's
first newspaper, The Matagorda Bulletin, which began
publishing the latter part of 1837. His father, Jonathan
Niles, who published Niles' Register in Washington, D.
C., was also a man of great talent. Joseph W. J. Niles
came to Matagorda previous to October of 1837, when he
received land grant #21 for 640 acres in hthis county.
He and his wife, Eliza Amelia, were members of Christ
Church, Matagorda, where their first child, Sinclair
David Gervais Niles, was baptized on February 15, 1843.
Judge Gervais' youngest daughter,
Claudinia Olivia, was married April 4, 1838, to Dr.
Albert Moses Levy, son of Abraham and Cornelia (Bernard)
Levy of Richmond, Virginia. They were the parents of
five children: Katherine, born in 1839; Albert Gervias,
born November 21, 1840 Laura Virginia, born April 4,
1843; Charles Gillette, born May 29, 1845; and Lewis
Fisher Levy, born December 29, 1847
Judge Sinclair David Gervais died
prior to November 10, 1838, since his will was admitted
for probate on that date.
Historic Matagorda County,
Volume I, page 68