Matagorda County 1936
Centennial Marker

Matagorda

City of Matagorda


206 Cypress Street

284132.11N      955802.17W

 

CITY OF MATAGORDA

PROJECTED SITE OF A TOWN IN 1826. FOUNDED IN 1829 WITH STEPHEN F. AUSTIN, ELIAS R. WIGHTMAN, HOSEA H. LEAGUE AND IRA INGRAM AS PROPRIETORS. THIRD LARGEST TOWN IN TEXAS IN 1834. INCORPORATED JANUARY 28, 1839. COUNTY SEAT OF MATAGORDA COUNTY, 1837-1894. BADLY WRECKED BY STORMS IN 1854 AND 1875. AN EARLY CULTURAL CENTER OF TEXAS AS EVIDENCED BY SCHOOLS, CHURCHES AND PRESS.

ERECTED BY THE STATE OF TEXAS 1936

Inscription typed by Faye Cunningham

 

Copyright 2011 - Present by Carol Sue Gibbs
All rights reserved

Created
Sep. 10, 2011
Updated
Sep. 10, 2011
   

HOME