Search billions of records on

Matagorda County Soldiers Sent to the Mexican Border in 1916

Courtesy of Shirley L. Brown

Company G - Aaron Simon (front row far right)
Photo courtesy of Haskell Simon



The days of ’61 were recalled by the old Confederates who looked on the scene. Mr. D. A. Coston and wife were there to see their son Grover off. Capt. J. C. Jones, whose son C. R. is one of the company, and W. H. Pressley and Capt. Frank Rugeley formed a little group waiting for the start. M. Pressley said “This reminds me of the start for the war in 1861, when I marched off with the first company from Leon county, the “Leon Hunters”. Some people said ‘Oh it won’t last long,’ but it lasted four years, the last two I spent at Fort Delaware, where I was condemned as a spy and sentenced to be shot, but escaped by swimming the bay.” The voice of Mrs. Coston was tremulous yet brave as she spoke of the departure of her only son and dependence, Grover, and when Capt. Rugeley undertook to lighten the burden with the suggestion that there would be nothing serious come of it, Mrs. Coston replied, “Well, it will mean the loss of a few of our boys, and you cannot tell who it will be. But some have to go and it just as well be one as another.”

More than two thousand people gathered at the Southern Pacific depot yesterday morning to bid the boys godspeed and safe return. There were tear-stained faces of mothers and strong-hearted fathers, grieved sisters and brothers, and sad-hearted sweethearts, the latter, of course, more quiet in their grief than the sisters, but their sorrow none the less genuine.

Captain Lewis marched his company of seventy brave young men down the streets and to the left on the right-of-way where they were allowed to break ranks for thirty-five minutes that each might spend the time in farewells to friends and relatives, and after this sad leave-taking the bugle sounded and the soldiers responded to line again and marched to the track and entrained, and mid shouts of joy-go-with-you and cheers for the departing troops, the train pulled out, and the saddened and patriotic throng turned their faces again toward the city and their every-day duties. Many a prayer was uttered for the weal of the boys and their safe return. Political opponents forgot such differences and bid the gallant captain “God-speed and good luck; take care of the boys” with a confidence that their record would be one all Matagorda county would be proud of.

The roster of the company as near as we could make up is to be found below. An effort to get the official list failed Wednesday evening because they were all so busy in hurried preparation, and Thursday morning the books had been locked up. But we have 69 of the 71 who are now enroute to San Antonio. We heard there were two or three from the west side, possible Palacios, whose names diligent enquiry failed to ascertain. With that exception we believe the following is a complete roster:

The Roll of Honor

      Captain–R. R. Lewis

      Lieutenant, 1st–V. C. Porter, 2nd–J. C. Willis

      Sergeant, 1st–H. H. Parker, 2nd–Fred Rhea, 3rd–Albert George, 4th–S. J. Gillette

      Corporals–Payne Walker, Layton Moore, Grant Potter, Jim Fitzmaurice

      Adjutant–Frank Osborne

      Standard Bearer–Aaron Simon

      Mascot–Master Randolph Cox


Chas. R. Jones

Albert Benedict

Hugh Sexton

Erin Arnold

Newt Arnold

Frank Hawkins

Dooley Frantz

Frank Bruno

Collie Bruno

Eddie Anderson

Donald Moore

D. Moore

Ham Wallace
Leland Winston

Bob [tall] Baker

C. E. Langwell

Lloyd Potter

Albert Brittain

Charles Lowe

Wesley McKelvy

Otis Hatchett

Austin Lee

Henry Lee

Harris Milner

Fred Gillette

W. Womack


Brown Bros. of Buckeye

Will Conger

Jas. Morehead

Linn McMahan

Wm. Craft

Frank Craft

Tom Craft

Theo. Garnett

George Yeager

Mac Landrum

W. C. Randolph

Joe Hogan

Harley Bess

Chas. Hermon

Luther Large

Morris Davis

Madison Jones

Walter McMahan

Bryan Williams

Bob Thompson

Wm. Martin

Sambo Rugeley

Rugeley Serrill

Douglas Serrill

Oscar George

Lige Dunbar

Clyde Ellis

Last 6 from Matagorda


Henry Lee came from Alice and Wm. Martin from San Benito to join their company here, and Bob Thompson was to join them at Eagle Lake where he is working. Lonnie McDonald who is now at Markham got a furlough of 30 days to adjust some business matters, some say, and others report is that he was released on an application filed some four months ago.

As an indication of how the departure of this company interfered with business round town, it took two out of the Light Company’s service, two out of each auto garages, two out of the A. & M. Grocery, two out of Arnold’s Market, two out of Sisk Bros’ store, one out of the Alcove force, one of the partners in Simon Brothers, bookkeepers and clerks out of other stores, mills and warehouses. But it is said that the positions have all been promised to be held for the boys, who will be cordially welcomed back to business and social circles, from the Captain to the mascot.

Matagorda sent a good contingent, six, and the seventh was refused admittance because of under size. Aubrey Bedford, brought a note of consent from his father, and yet he was not yet received; while there were two or three who very much desire to be excused―Albert Benedict, car repairer, and one or two others with wife and children dependent on them, and the son of Mr. Jim Davis who is paralyzed and has no dependence; Corp. Potter whose mother is now alone, and others, one or two just married, and one who expected soon to be. These have the sympathy of friends, not they go unwillingly, but that they naturally reluctantly leave those dependent on them. They will do honor to their country and to themselves―giving satisfaction to love ones in future years. As Mother Coston with pride said “Yes, the woman have their full share of danger and privation during times of war. I have the honorable discharge from the confederate army of Mr. Coston, and of my father, and that is honor enough.”

The martial spirit and patriotism born in Americans was visible in the admiration of the six and eight year old youngsters as they gazed upon the handsome little soldier mascot, Randolph Cox, in full uniform with gun and accoutrements. Randolph was happy as could be without thought of danger, or even the care or joy of sweetheart to grieve for him. Mrs. Chas. De Auburn, his mother agreed for him to go only as far as San Antonio where she has relatives, but the youngster says he is going all the way agreeing with Governor Ferguson that now we’ve started, will finish the job.       

News-Farmer Extra, Bay City, May 11, 1916

Photo courtesy of Haskell Simon


Citizens Gathered To Hear Capt. Lewis Explain His Position
Resigned Judgeship to Serve Country

From Tuesday’s Daily.

      That was a great ovation given Capt. R. R. Lewis last night when the citizens of Bay City filled the big District Court room to overflowing in one vast eager throng to hear their ex-county judge and present captain of Company “G,” Third Regiment, Texas National Guards, explain his present position, the reasons for resigning the judgeship and the general conditions as he saw them not as an officer, but as a private citizen.

      Capt. Lewis stated in the beginning of his talk that he wanted to be perfectly frank with the people who had honored him so long and so consistently, it being his chief desire to take them into his confidence unreservedly and to show them why he felt duty bound to pursue the course he has.

      “I am not speaking to you,” said Capt. Lewis, “as an officer of the army and through or by any military authority, for I know nothing from that point of view and could not tell you if I did. I am only here to explain my position, as Dick Lewis and in the capacity of a private citizen. I am the regular democratic nominee for the office of county judge, and was judge of Matagorda County until I resigned this morning, so what I have to tell you will have to do with the conditions as they are and not with any military affairs, for should I speak of such without the authority of my superiors, I do not doubt but I would be dealt severely with within three hours after I should have returned to San Antonio.”

      “For the past five days,” continued Capt. Lewis, “I have been serving in a dual capacity and I feel that my duty lies in the choice of one of these positions. I have debated the question in my own mind conscientiously and carefully and when the matter of choosing as to whether I would serve you as county judge or my country in the capacity of a soldier, I felt duty bound to take up arms for my country, whether that duty lies in digging ditches, doing patrol duty on the border or actual warfare in a foreign country.” Here Capt. Lewis was given hearty and prolonged applause.

      “Now as to the judgeship,” said the captain. “Knowing that the county must have a judge, I thought it to the best interest of the county to select one who was not in politics and would not stand for election at the November term. The court and I agreed upon Judge Conger, because, while not wanting the position, he assured us that he would not complicate matters by offering for election at the November election. Now this step was taken for two reasons. First, I am the regular nominee and should my services with the army end prior to the November election, I do not think there is an honest or fair-minded man in the county who would want to see me throw the nomination away. The next and main reason is that should my country demand and need my continued service the position would be open for any other aspirant or aspirants. The court felt that to call an election for the purpose of electing a judge to succeed me would entail much loss of valuable time. The commissioners are now in session as a board of equalization, their most important duty, and they need a judge now, not thirty days from now, hence the appointment of Judge Conger.”

      Capt. Lewis then took up the other side of his case and explained the position of Company “G” to the parents of the boys, urging them to allow their boys to decide for themselves whether they would enlist for foreign service or home guard duty.

      He plainly and very forcibly explained what enlistment as a soldier meant and quoted the oath administered to each soldier as he joined the ranks. It was Capt. Lewis’ individual opinion that it would be better were all the boys to enlist for foreign service rather that to remain with the Texas National Guards, stating that the call for foreign service is for a definite period of time, whereas two and a half years’ border service will be their lot should they choose to remain as they are.

      Capt. Lewis’ remarks were frequently and heartily punctuated with applause. The court room has rarely, if ever, been more completely filled with eager and interested people. His every remark was forcibly driven home and every word he uttered heard distinctly, to the remotest part of the auditorium.

      It was a splendid ovation to the popular young military officer and a characteristic outpouring of Bay City’s matchless citizenship.

      Capt. Lewis left his afternoon for San Antonio, his leave of absence expiring tomorrow morning.

The Matagorda County Tribune
, May 19, 1916


      Dr. A. S. Morton, promoted last night to Lieutenant-Surgeon in the Texas National Guards, was ordered by telephone last night from Colonel Hulen to report for San Antonio for duty at once.

      Dr. Morton left this afternoon to go into service.

The Matagorda County Tribune, May 19, 1916


Boys in Good Health and Anxious to Go to Front

      Mrs. R. R. Lewis has returned from San Antonio where she spent several days with Capt. Lewis at Fort Sam Houston.

      She says the boys are all feeling fine, are in good health and anxious to go to the front. They have all been vaccinated and have gotten over that so are in good shape for almost any campaign.

      Mrs. Lewis says the boys are all sincerely and deeply grateful for the many kindnesses shown them by the homefolks.

      Capt. Lewis and his company left Fort Sam Houston this a.m. for Mercedes, their new post.

The Matagorda County Tribune, June 2, 1916


Madison Jones Says Boys Are Anxious for Frontier Life

      The Tribune received the following letter from Madison Jones of Company G, Third Regiment, this morning:

San Antonio, Texas, May 29, 1916.

Mr. Carey Smith, Bay City, Texas

My dear Friend Mr. Smith:

      We left Fort Sam Houston this morning at 11 o’clock, will get to Mercedes at about 3 a.m. Tuesday. All the boys seemed anxious to leave for the border. We are on the S. A. & A. P. railroad and have a special train. There are four companies going to Mercedes.

      I send my love and best wishes to all the homefolks       Your friend,    Madison D. Jones.

The Matagorda County Tribune, June 2, 1916


Men and Officers All Well With Plenty of Eats

      The Tribune has received the following letter and information concerning the duties of Company G, which we are pleased to publish for various reasons, the chief one being that so much is said every day about the work of the boys which is no more than hearsay and has no foundation in fact.

      The letter from Capt. Lewis follows:

Mercedes, Texas, June 7, 1916.

Mr. Carey Smith, Bay City, Texas.

Dear Carey:

      I am writing you to let you know that all of us in Company G are well and getting along nicely but getting plenty to do. I am enclosing you a schedule from 5:25 in the morning until 9:00 at night, so we are hitting the ball every minute.  You can see that they are fast whipping us in shape to be soldiers should the occasion every require it. We are getting plenty to do and plenty to eat, and all of the boys are in good spirits, or at least they seem to be. The officers of the organization are required to be present with their organizations at all drills and in addition to this, they must take care of their routine duties besides, so you can see we are having our hands full, but it is good work, very instructive and none of us have any complaint to make. You may publish the schedule of drills so that the people can see what we really are doing at Mercedes, as the impression at home, I understand, seems to be that the men are overworked and the officers have nothing to do, which is a bad mistake. We are glad to get the papers here. Give my regards to all of my friends.  Your friend, Dick.


         First call                                                 5:25 a.m

         Reveille                                                  5:30 a.m.

         Assembly                                               5:40 a.m.

         Mess call                                                6:00 a.m.

         Sick call                                                 6:30 a.m.

         Inspection quarters                                7:00 a.m.

         Drill, 1st call                                          7:15 a.m.

         Assembly                                               7:20 a.m.

         Recall from drill                         8:50 a.m.

         Guard mount                                         9:05 a.m.

         Aiming and sighting drill, lst call          9:10 a.m.

         Assembly                                               9:15 a.m.

         Recall                                                     11:50 a.m.

         Mess call                                                12:00 M.

         Non-Com. officers school                     1:00 to 3:00 p.m.

         Squad drill by non-Com. officers          3:00 to 5:00 p.m.

         Mess call                                                5:30 p.m.

         Company drill, 1st call                           5:55 p.m.

         Assembly                                               6:00 p.m.

         Recall                                                     7:15 p.m.

         First call for retreat                                7:20 p.m.

         Officers’ school                                     8:00 to 9:30 p.m.

         Tattoo                                                    9:30 p.m.

         Assembly                                               7:25 p.m.

         Call to quarters                                      9:45 p.m.

         Taps                                                       10:00 p.m.

      2.  All officers and enlisted men are required to be present with their organizations at all calls. No officer or enlisted man will be absent from any of the duties herein required of his organization except the sick confined to quarters and those excused by these headquarters.

      3.  All routine above set out will be strictly adhered to and the names of the officers and the number of enlisted men in each organization absent from any of their prescribed duties will be reported to these headquarters through proper channels.

      4.  Regimental, battalion and company commanders will arrange in advance with the medical corps officer so as to present his organization at the proper time without delay or interference with the prescribed routine any further than possible.

      By order Major John D. Jennings.

            Geo. R. Bringhurst, Jr., 2nd Lt. & Acting Adj.

The Matagorda County Tribune, June 9, 1916


      In a letter to Mr. S. S. Moore, Charley Jones, a member of Company “G,” the Bay City Guards, states that his major, Al Jennings, who, by the way, is a former citizen of this county, having lived at Midfields a few years ago, informed him a few days ago that he had his discharge and that he would be released as soon as a recruit could be mustered in to take his place.

      Charley did not say when he expected to get home.

The Matagorda County Tribune, June 9, 1916


Troop Train and Homeseekers Excursion in Head-on Collision

      Several hundred narrowly escaped death early Sunday morning when a St. L. B. & M. special carrying the Minnesota 1st Artillery Batteries, D, E. and F., collided with the D. L. Perry Land Co. homeseeker’s special at Bay City. Through mistaken orders the troop train was not held at this point for the arrival of the homeseeker’s special and was just pulling away from the station when the accident occurred. The engine and two coaches of the special were overturned, the engine being all but demolished, while the troop train suffered practically no damage other than the telescoping of two of the flat cars carrying the ambulance equipment. Due to the fact that the passenger cars were in the rear of the train, few felt the shock. The few that were injured were immediately rushed to the Bay City hospital where they received prompt medical attention. Lieut. J. L. Haskins had charge of the medical department of the battalion and administered immediate aid to the injured.

      Those injured were:

      Jack Lang, private, bruised around body.

      Jack Ryan, cook, fractured back.

      L. Jacobson, private, rib broken.

      L. C. Harrison, private, head and face cut.

      Cliff Poke, negro porter on the homeseekers’ special, internal injuries.

      N. Sparks, conductor on special, fractured lower arm.

      With the exception of Jack Ryan, cook, all troopers were able to proceed with their regiment. Conductor Sparks, Ryan and the negro porter will probably be confined here for some time.

      Battery F of this battalion was composed entirely of University of Minnesota men, none of whom suffered injury, other than a general shaking up. A wrecker was immediately summoned and the troop train was able to proceed to its destination Sunday afternoon.

The Matagorda County Tribune, July 28, 1916


Minnesota Troops Make Best of Sabbath Day

      Although the wreck on the Brownsville yesterday was an unfortunate affair it served a good purpose in that it gave the 600 Minnesota troops en route Brownsville their first day off since they left home five days ago.

      Besides two troops of regular National Guard volunteers, the battalion under Major Leach had along Company “F,” composed of 171 University of Minnesota students and six officers under Capt. W. F. Rhinow, the whole constituting the Minnesota Second Battalion First Field Artillery, carrying 12 3-inch field pieces.

      Many of the boys expressed themselves as delighted with Bay City and took their enforced stop of several hours as an opportunity to attend church and entertain themselves in diverse other ways.

      Their chief amusement seemed to center about the county court house democratic donkey and the republican alligator held captive at the Confederate monument fountain by the Daughters of the Confederacy.

      The merchants turned all their supplies of watermelons over to City Marshal J. A. McNeal, who distributed them to the troops while the hospitable homes of the city took as many soldier boys as they could to the mid-day meal, showing the boys from the far away North some of the South’s much-famed hospitality.

      Because of such consideration and attention the boys were constantly giving their college yell for Bay City and left here with an impression of our town that will not soon be erased.

      Like I was never drunk before.

      For when I’m drunk

      I’m as happy as can be

      Cause I’m a member of the F battery.


      Glorious, glorious,

      One keg of beer for the four of us

      Glory be to goodness there are no more of us

      Because the four of us will drink it all alone.

      It was fully demonstrated to the inhabitants of Bay City that the boys of Battery F, Minnesota, have justly earned their sobriquet of “The Musical” when they invaded this city Sunday morning filling the town with such a riot of song, music and yells as it has never been the pleasure of hearing before.

      Battery F is composed entirely of students from the University of Minnesota and if we may judge from the hundred and ninety three specimens who took the city by storm Sunday, Minnesota is no place for a grouch. The boys say that they are not much on starting things but long on the finish. We can easily believe the latter statement but have serious doubt of the validity of the former. A star witness to this fact would be the courthouse burro, whom the boys immediately captured and used as a butt of much merriment. Battery F is undoubtedly as clean and wholesome a bunch as has hit this city since the first trainload passed through, and Bay City extends a cordial welcome to them at all times.

      Min―ee―so―ta,                        Rah―rah―rah!          Good luck boys.

The Matagorda County Tribune, July 28, 1916


Matagorda County Sends Eight More to Camp Travis

      Eight more Matagorda County boys were sent to be made soldiers at Camp Travis Saturday. They are Maurice Franklin Frieze, Calvin Rainey, Albert Henry Mahavier, Walter W. McMahan, Leslie Hammond Duffy, Otto Eugene Hudson, Ernest Julius Fleer, George Phillip Hathaway; all white.                                                                       

The Daily Tribune
, Monday, February 25, 1917


Preparations Under Way for Open Air Feast and Entertainment

Big preparations are being made to give the members of Company G, 3rd Texas Infantry, T.N.G., (the Bay City company) a royal reception and open air entertainment upon their arrival home from Corpus Christi next Tuesday.

The ladies of the city have planned for some big things in the way of a huge dinner Tuesday evening, speeches and band music, the reception to take place on the courthouse lawn.

The boys will be mustered out Monday, March 26.

The Daily Tribune
, March 24, 1917


The committee having in charge the reception to be tendered the soldier boys next Tuesday requests The Tribune to ask for volunteers to assist in making the preparations Tuesday. Tables are to be put up and volunteer assistance is needed for that part of the work.

The paper is also instructed to request all ladies who have made donations to have them on the ground on the courthouse lawn as early in the afternoon of Tuesday as possible.

The Daily Tribune, March 24, 1917


Company “G” Will Arrive on Early Morning Brownsville

The soldier boys are coming home. After military duty of nearly a year preparing for service for their country and ready all the time to go to the front, the boys have been mustered out and will arrive in the morning on the Brownsville.

There are about fifty Bay City and Matagorda County boys in the company, its full strength being made up of recruits from other places. However, Company “G” is known as the Bay City company, because of the fact that it originated here.

The ladies of the city for the past several days have busied themselves, planning a suitable reception for the boys, and this will take place on the courthouse lawn tomorrow night.

The Daily Tribune, March 26, 1917


Doing Honor to Returned Soldier Boys

Bay City today is in national attire and bedecked from cellar to dome with national colors in honor of the return of Company “G,” 3d Texas Regiment, T.N.G., one of the companies that formed General Funston’s crack regiment.

This company originated in Bay City and is composed principally of Bay City and Matagorda County boys. The final mustering out of the company was completed at Corpus Christi yesterday. The boys entrained immediately afterward for home and arrived here at an early hour this morning to be met with a display of patriotism on the part of the people in keeping with the American spirit.

Flags and bunting greeted the boys on all sides and a big banquet and ball was tendered them by the ladies of the city.

Following is the list of officers and men who have returned:

Captain – Vance C. Porter

First Lieutenant – John C. Willis

Second Lieutenant – Charles T. Schaedel

First Sergeant – Fred B. Rahe

Supply Sergeant – George W. McKelvy

Mess Sergeant – William M. Conger

Sergeants – Herbert H. Parker, Aaron H. Simon, Robert P. Walker, Charles G. Potter, Robert F. Baker, Albert B. Britton

Corporals – Luther W. Large, Lynn S. McMahan, David L. Brown, Ruben M. Brown, Madison D. Jones, Otis S. Hatchett, Edwin M. Bayer of Wharton

Cook – Clyde Ellis

Mechanic – James H. Crockett of Wharton

Bugler – Frank J. Osborne, Ralph Thompson

First Class Privates – John D. Brazzil of Wharton, Wilson Dameron of Wharton, John Krenek of Hungerford, Jesse M. LeMay, Lloyd P. Potter

Privates – Eddie C. Anderson, W. S. Anderson of Wharton, Newton E. Arnold, William E. Arnold, John D. Andrews, Harley B. Bess, Thomas C. Bruno, Frank D. Craft, Tommie A. Craft, Will Craft, Alfred F. Carrington, Doyle H. Coston, Jim Fitzmaurice, George B. Ewing of Houston, William C. Gullett, Walter Hawkins, Willie Hutchins, Austin B. Lee, Charles H. Lowe, Aaron Levine of Wharton, Walter W. McMahan, Donald E. Moore, Layton Moore, Harris Milner, Sam R. Rugeley, Rugeley Serrill, Henry D. Serrill, Hugh H. Sexton, Orry H. Tew, John B. Williams, George Yeager, Jr.

Headquarters Company- James L. Childs of Magnet

Corporal – Grover Coston, band

Sergeant – Stanley J. Gillett, band

The Daily Tribune
, March 27, 1917


Fully One Thousand People Gather In Their Honor—Six Hundred People Fed

Fully a thousand people, including many from all parts of Matagorda County, gathered on the courthouse lawn last night in honor of the return of Company G, 3d Texas Regiment, T.N.G., the original Bay City company, which is one of the units of General Funton’s crack regiment.

The boys arrived in the city over the St. L. B. & M. in a special train from Corpus Christi at an early hour yesterday morning. Yesterday Capt. Porter gave an exhibition drill before hundreds of people, amidst waving flags and streaming bunting. All day long the town presented a regular holiday picture and business was practically suspended that all might do honor to the boys in khaki.

In the afternoon the regular baseball team played the soldiers and defeated them by a score of 6 to 4.

At an early hour people from everywhere began to gather at the courthouse where band music, speech-making and barbecue served to add zest to the occasion in the true American spirit of patriotism. Fully six hundred people were amply fed in old-fashioned barbecue style, of choice barbecued meats, pickles, bread and black coffee. Not for years has Bay City done a handsomer honor to any kind of guest. Two large tables, capable of comfortably seating two hundred, were filled and refilled until all were satisfied.

At one of these tables sat the guests of honor, the soldier boys, the Confederate veterans, the daughters and sons of Confederate veterans and the boy scouts, while beautiful women and girls busied themselves waiting on them. As one old soldier remarked, “It takes us back to the days of the ‘60s and is about the most realistic thing I have seen since that time.”

At a proper time Judge R. R. Lewis, who left here on May 9, 1916, as captain of Company G., spoke for a few moments with some remarks appropriate to the occasion, and introduced Hon. Thos. H. Lewis, orator of the day.

Mr. Lewis’ address of welcome was of an intensely patriotic strain and of a most pleasing nature. He stressed the valor and bravery of our boys, the value of such men to their country in such trying times as now confront our nation and feelingly expressed to them the pride and love and loyalty the people of Bay City reposed in them. The address of welcome was roundly cheered and well received.

The High School Band occupied a conspicuous place in the bandstand and played several patriotic numbers while the large gathering of people encored appreciatingly at the conclusion of each piece.

After the barbecue and open air entertainment a large number gathered at the armory for a grand free ball, which was enjoyed until a late hour.

To the ladies of Bay City, the wives, mothers, sisters, relatives and friends of the boys is due the credit for the most signal success of this reception, and, incidentally, it may be remarked that it was most thorough in every respect, could not have been better and will live for many years as the crowing event of the times.

The Daily Tribune
, March 28, 1917


In a pretty and closely matched game of baseball played before a large crowd yesterday, the regular city team defeated a nine recruited from the ranks of Company G, with a score of 6 to 4.

Considering the fact that this ws the first match game of the season for both the teams, it was a fine game, one of the best ever played on the local field.

Batteries for the Bay City team McKelvy and Buford; for soldiers: Craft and Hawkins. Umpire Will Conger.

The line up was as follows: Bay City―L. Buford, catcher; W. McKelvy, pitcher; C. Jones, first base; Merlin Vogelsang, second base; Pierce Gaines, third base; Zeak Carr, shortstop; Claude Hamil, left field; Jack Brady, right field; Henry Carrington, center field.

Soldiers―W. Hawkins, catcher; T. D. Craft, pitcher; Luther Large, first base; Henry Lee, second base; W. Craft, third base; T. A. Craft, shortstop; Harley Bess, center field; W. E. Arnold, left field; L. T. Schaedel, right field.

The Daily Tribune
, March 28, 1917


      We, the undersigned citizens of Bay City, Texas, over 60 years of age, hereby bind ourselves into a company of Home Guards for the purpose of assisting in the enforcement of the laws of the State of Texas and the United States of America, and to assist in the suppression of all disloyal meetings, talk or publications, or any acts that would in any manner hinder or in any way embarrass our president or congress, or injure the property of any person or company, or endanger the lives of citizens.

      T. F. Carr, C. J. Green, Frank Rugeley, T. J. Lewis, H. H. Phillips, C. Zipprian, G. B. Robertson, J. C. Carrington, J. T. Hawkins, Jno. F. Lewis, Thos. Hickey, C. W. Lee, Wm. Walker, J. M. Greenwood, N. Wise, W. R. Franz, D. O. Coston, E. W. Wynne, H. W. Bowie, J. E. Martin, I. N. Barber, J. A. Jones, C. M. Carter, A. Currie, Wm. E. Austin, Thos. Smith, Wm. P. Davis, V. Schill, H. C. Thomas, J. P. Mason, E. F. Gunn, A. R. Benge, R. A. Lee, W. H. Presley.

      The foregoing are names of men in the city over 60 years of age, as none others are eligible to membership.

      The organization was perfected this afternoon at 4 o’clock.

The Daily Tribune, April 7, 1917


Men Over 60 Met and Elected Officers

      Saturday afternoon the members of the Bay City Home Guard, composed of men 60 years of age and over, met and perfected their organization. The following officers were elected: T. F. Carr, captain; C. Zipprian, first lieutenant; C. J. Green, first sergeant.

      The company’s roll call Saturday showed 35 men in good standing, but others will join from time to time, it being confidently expected that fully 50 will sign up. A committee on enlistment was appointed by Capt. Carr to bring in additional volunteers and recruit the company to its highest possible membership.                                                

The Daily Tribune
, April 9, 1917


      Palacios will, when registering time comes, furnish her full quota and more of men for the service of the country in the war to whatever work or duty they may be assigned. Further our little city will supply her proportion and more of men as officers and for the navy. Four of our young men who had passed the examination at Houston as recruits for the officers training school left for Leon Springs Monday. They are Prof. W. C. Gray, Carlton Crawford, Julius Cunningham, C. W. Swearingen.

      Gordon Lawson left Tuesday night for Leon Springs to train as an officer.

      Palacios is also furnishing her full quota of men for the navy, who are not waiting for the selective draft, but are advance volunteers. In response to the notice given last week by Mayor Harrison, calling for recruits for hospital service in the navy, four young men left yesterday morning to pass examination. They are Ed. Harrison, son of the Mayor; Harold Feather, Myron P. Moore, Thos. A. Tolleson.

      They were accompanied to Houston by Mayor Harrison. Owing to over enlistment there will be a large number left over from the officers training camp who will be held in reserve for the next training school, and some volunteering may not pass the examination required, but in thus offering their services voluntarily these young men of our city have shown the highest degree of patriotism and loyalty to their country, and Palacios is more than proud of every one of them.

      At Leon Springs Carlton Crawford will be joined by his two brothers Norris and Raymond, who while not now located here, are Palacios boys because this is their home. Several Palacios boys are already doing duty in the navy, three, Britton Laughter, Will Butler and Ray Snedaker, who enlisted before war was declared, and Fred Harper, a college student, has also recently entered the navy.

      Palacios is doing and will continue to do her whole duty in the fight for peace and political freedom.

            Mr. M. K. Feather received a message from Harold yesterday evening saying they had all passed the examination at Houston, and the four would leave this morning for the naval training station near Chicago on Lake Michigan.                               

The Palacios Beacon
, May 11, 1917


      We especially thank our good friend Carlton Crawford for the following interesting and newsy letter from the training camp at Leon Springs where five of our young men are now in training for officers. Everybody will be anxious to hear from the soldier boys, and will be more than interested in this letter:

Leon Springs, Tex., May 9 ‘17

Officers Training Camp, Co. 6.

      Dear Mr. Stump:—We are here. Having fine grub. This morning for breakfast we had oat meal, Irish potatoes, bacon, gravy, coffee and bread; then later we had two hours drill, all for breakfast. We live in long houses and sleep on cots. Each has three woolen blankets. Liked to have froze to death last night, notwithstanding those three blankets. My brother Raymond is here. He is in company 4. There are about 175 men to a company.

      All of us Palaciosists are in the same company. I am well protected. Mr. Gray on one side and Swearingen on the other. Julius is down the line a few cots.

      There are about 18,000 acres in this camp; quite a bit of timber, and very mountainous and rocky. 1700 regulars are in camp here; one whole regiment of artillery.

      One of the tents over in the regular camp just caught fire and burned up, causing a little excitement.   So long, CARLTON                                        

The Palacios Beacon
, May 11, 1917