Search billions of records on

Matagorda County Survey Markers



The triangulation marker, now located on the east-side playground at the Matagorda School, was placed in 1906 in the center of the cupola of the Bay View Hotel in Matagorda. The building was the Matagorda County courthouse until the county seat was moved to Bay City in 1894.

Triangulation on the Coast of Texas, From Sabine Pass to Corpus Christi Bay by Charles A. Mourhess, Special Publication No. 17, U. S. Coast and Geodetic Survey, 1913, page 67

Geodetic Survey Marker that is on the east playground of the Matagorda Elementary School which was originally
in the cupola of the Bay View Hotel when it was on the school site.

The marker is imbedded in this base made of shellcrete
and reinforced with concrete.

A closer view of the shellcrete base.


Bay City

This Bench Mark is located in the south wall of the former Bay City Bank building at the northwest corner of
Avenue F (Hwy 60) and Seventh Street (Hwy 35) below the historical marker.




Copyright 2013 - Present by Carol Sue Gibbs
All rights reserved

Sep. 10, 2013
Sep. 10, 2013