Collegeport Columns and Articles

1912
 


Early History of Collegeport Peninsula

Prof. Travis has been looking about and has secured some valuable information relative to the early days along the Trespalacios and Matagorda bays. An old history belonging to Mr. Joseph Pybus Sr., of Palacios, which was published in England about 1840 gives many facts of interest to people of this section. At that time Matagorda was a principal coast city with a Chamber of Commerce and an extensive wholesale and retail trade. Austin located just below Bay Park where the University grounds are to be, was then a small new town, while Palacios on the Portsmouth townsite was also mentioned as a new and growing town. A boarding school was in existence which some of the older residents of Texas attended, this was located at Austin near where the new buildings for the Industrial School are to be located.

Prof. Travis purposes getting all the data possible and writing a short history of the section which will be both instructive and interesting to all.—Collegeport Chronicle

Palacios Beacon, February 2, 1912
 


Col. Johnathan Pierce has secured three young buffaloes, one male and two females, from 101 ranch of Miller brothers, Bliss, Okla., which arrived here the first of the month and were taken to his Collegeport ranch one mile south of this city. These animals are only partly domesticated and are quite timid and not easily approached. Just what Mr. Pierce’s intentions are is not publicly known as he is assembling a fine herd of animals of fine quality and breed, and it is time well and enjoyably spent to visit this ranch and see the herds of his selection. He has ideas peculiar to the man of such varied experiences and has hopes of some peculiar achievements and we may look forward for the results with interesting pleasure. He is proud of his herds and delights in showing his visitors around his premises.—Collegeport Chronicle.

Palacios Beacon, February 9, 1912
 


COLLEGEPORT

Mrs. W. H. Travis of Bay Park was the guest of Mrs. E. A. Holsworth several days last week.

Mr. and Mrs. Theodore Smith have gone to Dallas where they will visit their daughter, Mrs. Edgar G. Jones.

Miss Grace Shuey of Citrus was a Collegeport visitor Saturday.

Mrs. H. N. Sholl, president of the Collegeport Woman's Club, went to Bryan Tuesday as delegate to the district meeting.

Mr. and Mrs. Lee and son, Robert, who have been spending the past few months at their winter cottage near the bay, left for their home in Wisconsin Wednesday, leaving many warm friends in Collegeport who look forward to their return next winter.

Miss Lena Corse went to Blessing to take a position in the bank.

Mrs. Cary and children left for Bay Park the first of the week, where they will spend the summer. Miss Evelyn Kone accompanied them.

Dr. and Mrs. Tenny of Oberlin, O., who have been here for several months, leave this week for their home, and will be sorely missed by their many friends in Collegeport.

Mrs. Harry Austin Clapp, who has been quite ill for the past two weeks, is improving rapidly.

The box supper given for the benefit of the Public Library last Saturday evening was a financial and social success.

Miss Edna Hunter left for her home at Alvin last Saturday.

Mr. Irwin Glasser of Buckeye motored to Collegeport and spent Sunday with his father.

The King's Daughters were entertained at the home of Mr. and Mrs. Livers, two miles east of town, last Saturday, the young ladies enjoying the outing, which was in the nature of a picnic.

Miss Anna Spence of Buckeye spent several days in Collegeport the last of the week, visiting her sister, Mrs. L. E. Liggett.

Messrs. Eldon and Don Travis came across the bay in their sail boat last Saturday and visited Collegeport friends.

The musicale given by Mrs. Walter S. Culp at the Smith home last Thursday was an unusually pleasant affair and will be remembered long by the Woman's Club and their friends.

Messrs. Rutherford, Amandus Pfeiffer and A. M. Weborg were visitors to Palacios Friday.

The home of Mrs. E. A. Holsworth was the scene of a very enjoyable affair last Monday afternoon when a large gathering of ladies met to do honor to four of their number who soon leave for the North--Mrs. Walter S. Culp, Mrs. Tenny, Mrs. George Boody and Mrs. Lee. A number of the guests added to the pleasure of the occasion with vocal and piano solos. The guests of honor were presented with large bouquets of roses of chosen colors. Ice cream and cake. While this was an unusually pleasant gathering, a feeling of sadness was also present at the thought of friends parting, these ladies leaving a host of friends who will miss them on future occasions.

The Matagorda County Tribune, April 23, 1912
 


COLLEGEPORT NEWS ITEMS.

Special to the Tribune.

Collegeport , Texas , April 22.--No early planting was done here this year but now that the weather has permitted a large acreage of feed stuffs, peanuts, corn and rice are in the ground. Considerable corn is up and is looking nice.

Many Collegeporters attended the San Jacinto celebration at Bay City and in order that Bay City may have an opportunity to visit Collegeport plans are being made for a coursing contest using jack rabbits. This contest will be held some time in August and will be held in an enclosure 1200 feet long by 280 feet wide. Other games and a barbecue will help to entertain Collegeport guests.

Our farmers are "living at home" this year. Many are doing it of necessity, others because they always have done so. The withdrawing of credit by the wholesalers and in turn by the retailer has been for this community a blessing for both parties. The merchants are paying bills more promptly and the buyer is out of debt.

Two years ago Mrs. Burton D. Hurd held the first better babies contest and last year the results were so gratifying that she has been urged to conduct the contest this season to which she has consented. Probably 25 per cent more children will be entered this year than last for the mothers are wide awake to what it means for the physical development of the child. While living here Mrs. Hurd was the leader in every movement for the upbuilding of the moral educational and artistic life of the town. She took especial pride and pleasure in the children and started and for two summers conducted in the pavilion a play day each week for children. The connection between the Ferris & Simpson canal and the Collegeport canal has been completed and a large amount of rice has been planted south of town in a territory heretofore without water.

The Collegeport fair will be continued for two days this year and a department has been opened for livestock. The fair, although a local show, has been a splendid one in the past. This year, with a much larger number of entries of greater variety, it will be a display worthy of the town.

Matagorda County Tribune, April 23, 1912
 


Last week’s Collegeport Chronicle contained a letter from Mr. Burton D. Hurd, who at the time was in New York, stating that he had succeeded in so reorganizing the affairs of his company and of the Collegeport interests that there would be now available plenty of money with which to carry to completion all the work that has been inaugurated in and for that city and section of the country, besides adding other and important interests and enterprises, all of which would hasten the quick development and upbuilding of that rich section of Matagorda County. We congratulate our neighbors upon the good news. They have labored earnestly and waited patiently for the fulfillment of some promises, and now that they are to materialize, their progress and prosperity ought and we believe will be such as to fully compensate them for all the delay and disappointment they have had to endure. From the present outlook there are great things immediately ahead for Collegeport and her good people.

Palacios Beacon, May 17, 1912
 


May Festival and Celebration at Collegeport.

Collegeport is very much alive musically and the Choral Department of the Gulf Coast University has arranged a May Festival consisting of two concerts. The first of these will be given Friday evening, May 24, by the students’ choral class and the ladies chorus assisted by Collegeport’s best soloists, presenting a miscellaneous program. The second will be a matinee on Saturday, Collegeport Day, at 2:30 o’clock, given by the children and young people. Two features of this program will be the “Sun Bonnet Babies” by the children, and the cantata “Excelsior” by the university students.

More than fifty persons will appear on the program these two days. These two concerts offer a treat to music lovers in Palacios, and it is hoped that many will avail themselves of attending.

The festival will be held in the First Church. The price of the tickets 25 cents. Children 15 cents.

We suggest that our people arrange for parties to attend these entertainments. Boat service can be secured to go at a convenient hour in the evening and return after the program Friday evening. For Saturday there will be ample boat service all day and evening.

Palacios Beacon, May 17, 1912
 


Collegeport Chronicle Items

We have had glorious rains recently, coming at a very welcome time for most crops. There has not been more to fall than the ground would absorb. It has not been too much for farming only in a few instances, and therefore the crop condition now is above the average, and a very bright prospect for splendid crops of all kinds for the future.

One of our neighbors remarked to us recently that if men farmed in Ohio as some men farm here they would not expect to get any harvest whatever. And yet in spite of heedless, shallow, makeshift cultivation they do get some crop. The effects of real thorough work is seen on other farms, however. Our land will respond to poor methods, but it also testifies to the good effects of proper treatment.

The Land Company have rearranged the interior of their office and given it a very bright and cheerful finish, which adds much to its comfort and convenience. There are new arrangements with numerous persons of known ability to push the immigration feature, and the definiteness of their intentions are such as to warrant that there will be an activity in Collegeport and surrounding territory that has not been witnessed heretofore during its whole experience. Co-operation and nothing else should be our only word and thought henceforth, and such a oneness by our whole community will put our section fair in the lead of any Mid-Coast section of Texas.

Palacios Beacon, June 7, 1912
 


The Collegeport Fair

The fair at Collegeport last Saturday was the biggest thing for its size we have ever seen. It was a revelation indeed. For want of time we can't tell about it this week, but will give it special mention in our next issue. The fair was largely the result of the good work of editor Travis, of the Chronicle.

Palacios Beacon, July 26, 1912
 


The Collegeport Fair

The fair given at our neighboring city of Collegeport on the 20th of last month was a surprise and revelation even to its originators and promoters. The exhibits were many and of high grade. Especially was the corn display a surprise. There were a large number of exhibits and of several varieties, and all pronounced as good as ever seen at any of the fairs in the old corn growing states of the north. Other field crops, including rice, cotton, milo maize, kaffir corn, sorghum, and others, while every kind of vegetables and melons and pumpkins of the finest grown anywhere were on display. In canned and preserved fruits and vegetables, there was a great variety and a large collection that were a feast to the eye. The premiums were articles of merchandise offered by the enterprising merchants of Collegeport, hence the money outlay for the fair was a very small item. The fair was a most gratifying success in every way, and will be of large benefit to the Collegeport community in many ways.

Bay City, Blessing and Collegeport have had their fairs, and it is now up to Palacios to get busy and show her hand and the best display of the whole county. What shall we do about it? It is up to us.

Palacios Beacon, August 2, 1912
 

Collegeport,

The Town of Opportunity

The Houston Post Special Industrial Edition contains the following generous description of our city and institution.

The story of Collegeport is divided like Gaul “into three parts.” The first refers to the time when the waters were divided from the land and is of very little interest at this time. The second tells of that period which includes the formation of the land, the use of it as a range for countless herds of buffalo, elk, deer, and other wild animals; the time when Chevalier de la Salle, found his ship a wreck and himself an unwilling promoter of a new and strange land; the time when Stephen F. Austin landed on its shore and established a colony on College point; the time when the vast prairie was used as a grazing ground for vast herds of cattle, which made their owners rich and enabled them to live like lords; the time when the Morgan line ships came here and took away cargoes of live cattle, hides and tallow. The third begins on a day when a man dressed in khaki astride a big bay horse rode over the 100,000 acres and noted that it was surrounded on three sides with water; that the land laid high above the sea; that it was supplied with wonderful natural drainage; that an abundance of water for irrigation was at hand; that the soil was rich beyond compare, and that the climate was so gorgeous as to form the chief asset in the plan of development which, as he looked, formed in his brain. The man rode down to the beautiful shell beach which formed the shore line, looked across the sparkling waters of Matagorda Bay , saw ships carrying the products of the land. He rode up on the prairie and saw farms and orchards and towns; he saw railroad trains loading the products; the saw happy children trooping into school houses; he saw pleasure parties bathing and boating; he saw tourist hotels filled with people from the North enjoying the pleasures of the Southland, and looking, he pronounced it good.

The man was Burton D. Hurd, and that moment marked the birth of Collegeport.

From that time the story is one of continuous development, never for a moment has it stopped. First came two or three families who were not afraid to pioneer a town where there was no railroad, postoffice, stores, or other conveniences, more followed and today Collegeport is the home of 450 people and has a trading population of more than 1200. The Frisco operates its trains into the new town and supplies splendid service for passengers, freight, and express. Through his belief in the town’s future Theo. Smith provided telephone communication and the local exchange has thirty subscribers with long distance connections to any point. H. N. Sholl became the first postmaster and the office is now held by J. H. Adams. A bank with $40,000 deposits, two lumber years, a hardware stock, several grocery, dry goods, and a drug store have stocks from which supplies may be drawn at reasonable prices. The Collegeport Chronicle has a circulation of several hundred and is the mouthpiece of the community. Hotel Collegeport, located directly overlooking the bay, is a delightful place for rest or recreation. Lining the bay shore are beautiful residences, some costing as much as $25,000. Between these homes and the shore line is a boulevard which follows the shoreline through the town and along the coast for twenty-five miles, returning through the country forming a boulevard and automobile drive more than sixty miles, a feature not found in any other American development. Back from the boulevard are many beautiful bungalow homes, the churches, school and other public buildings. More than one and one-half miles of cement sidewalk has been laid and a contract has been let for the building of one mile of modern shell streets. Shade trees are growing, lawns have been graded, flower beds are blooming, and the town of Collegeport has become a desirable place for a home. On account of its location, directly on the bay, one’s lungs are crowded with pure, salt laden air, which, combined with artesian water, provides health conditions unequaled in any portion of the country.

Collegeport Chronicle, September 12, 1912
 

Farming

More than 25,000 acres have been sold by Burton D. Hurd Land Company, and is now occupied by prosperous farmers who are raising abundant crops of all kinds. Rice, cotton and corn form the staple crops, while all forage crops grow wonderfully and produce three crops each year. The climate enables the farmer to produce three times the tonnage from any given area that is possible in the North. Truck growing is at this time securing the attention of Collegeport growers and the product supply a large portion of the shipments this season. No soil on earth will return larger profits to the intelligent trucker or orchardist.

Industrial League

The Collegeport Industrial League is the commercial organization of the town, and ever since its organization has been an important factor in the development of the town and surrounding country. Organized in 1909 when the town was only sixty days old, with W. H. Travis as President and H. A. Clapp as Secretary, its work has steadily increased in value. At present M. L. Herbage is the President and O. J. White, Secretary. Communications addressed to the League will receive prompt and personal attention.
 

Public School

The first public school was opened in a 12x14 tent and employed one teacher for three months, but the rapid influx of settlers soon required more room and teachers until at the present time three are employed during a school period of nine months. The present enrollment is close to 100. The standard educational efficiency is as high as can be found in schools of the same class. In one more year the requirements for affiliation with higher institutions will be met; and the school will then be on a much higher grade. During the past summer bonds to the amount of $12,000 were voted, the bonds have been placed and work on the new building has commenced, and the trustees are in hopes that the building will be ready for use in the early fall. The building will be modern, of brick and steel, and will provide quarters for 300 students; also laboratory equipment with apparatus, indoor playroom, large auditorium for school and public use. The superintendent is R. E. Coffin, who will be glad to reply to any communications.

Collegeport Chronicle, September 12, 1912

 

Industrial University .

Many years ago Prof. W. A. Travis decided that a school which would give a practical, industrial education would supply what he considered lacking in our present educational system, and the result is the establishment in Collegeport of what is known as the Gulf Coast University of Industrial Arts.

No subject at the present is receiving larger attention than that of practical education. In the Collegeport district the Gulf Coast University of Industrial Arts is demonstrating that best practical education for boys and girls may be had by them at the cost of earnest effort upon their part. The effort to earn an education by their own hands is a great education in itself.

The school has 350 acres of which constitute the farm, nurseries, gardens and campus. It has already collected dairy stock implements, teams and tools for work on these grounds. It has a nursery stock valued at $6000. These things have been accumulated, not from gifts, but from the results of labor performed by the students under management of the instructors.

It is the purpose of the school to keep the highest sane literary curriculum and at the same time fit the boy and girl for immediate useful work the moment they graduate. For instance, the boy will know how to manage a farm, or how to direct a working force in such a way as to get the greatest cheerful response from the force under his charge. He will be able to construct buildings. He will be taught to successfully grapple with the problem of supply and demand and the proper distribution of products. In fact, his education will be intensely practical.

The girl will be trained in household duties and economics by actual work in the kitchen, laundry, dining room and parlors of the home. Her instruction in literature, music and art will at the same time make her the best social companion.

This school has been in successful operation for three years, having graduated its first academic class in June of this year. The school was the first to turn the virgin soil and plant the first crop in the vicinity of Collegeport. It is at present a vital force in locating and settling the very best class of people in the community, for people seek a location where such a school is in operation.

There are many people in the North who desire a locality for removal from the rigid winters of those States and provinces.

The school has seen this need and has already solicited these people. It is now improving properties for homes, for those who can not live here the whole year because of their business interests in the north. The situation is thus unique. The students are here whose services are readily had to care for the grounds, through which services under the guidance of their teachers a compensation for an education and at the same time the education itself acquired. The student spends an average of six hours per day for his literary and scientific instruction and four hours per day for practice. While the practice is educational it is at the same time equivalent to money paid for tuition and board.

Even the buildings of the school will be built by student labor. The experience of the school management is that the labor of the students is of the very highest class, as each student is desirous of the very best results since the results determine in a measure his class grades.

At the present time the school has properties which it has placed upon the market. These properties are being improved by planting a small orange orchard on each lot. Many of these lots are already sold to Northern people. The students are caring for these orchards for a term of years. The revenue from the sale of these lots will be sufficient in amount to erect a number of buildings for the school. This fact illustrates one way how the purpose of the school to make itself self-supporting and self-endowing is carried off. The farms, orchards, dairies, gardens, nurseries, hotels, manufacturies, etc., will provide other means of support and self-endowment.

One great fundamental teaching of the school is that no student should look for any advantage in this world without a just return on his part for what he receives. He is also taught that there are plenty of resources in the earth to give him an opportunity to become a public benefactor, and that he ought not to look for advantages simply for self at the expense of another. The spirit of "graft" is frowned upon in this school.

The much discussed subject of what constitutes a true education is practically solved in the method of instruction adopted by Gulf Coast University . Collegeport has the honor of having had the privilege of establishing a school which is satisfactorily answering the question, “How shall we educate our children so that they shall be better equipped to enter upon the practical duties of life the moment they graduate from our schools?”

Collegeport Chronicle, September 12, 1912
 


Sunday School.

Perhaps in the development of social and moral surrounds nothing exerts a stronger influence than the Sunday School and here in Collegeport is found a model of its kind.

When the Puritan fathers pushed out from the first New England settlement towards the West, the one thing not to be forgotten or left behind was the Bible--it was the priceless possession.

This spirit seems to have characterized the beginning of Collegeport, for in the hearts of the first settlers was the desire for a Bible school and the history of the Collegeport Sunday school dates from the coming of the first women.

Before the church there was the little group that met in the first store building, at the different homes or on the hotel gallery. It was a union Sunday School and members and teachers from a variety of denominations.

In the fall of 1909, with the coming of more people, the school took on new life and settled in the university chapel a part of the activities of the First church. At this time E. G. Van Ness from Pontiac , Mich. , became its formal superintendent which office he still holds. Mr. Van Ness came fresh from Young Men’s Christian work, in which he had been a field secretary for twenty-two years.

From the small beginning the school has had a steady growth and modern methods have been followed and the school is up to date in every particular.

There are fourteen classes, and the teachers with the superintendents of the different departments and the officers of the school make a working force of twenty-one. The aim is to have every family in the Collegeport district identified with the school and 60 per cent of them now are, and new plans will interest the other 40 per cent.

One very striking characteristic is that the attendance of men is unusually large—many Sundays the past year the membership numbered over 50 per cent of the total attendance.

The young men are organized as the “Princes of Jonathan,” under the leadership of John W. Hansel, who had been a prominent Young Men’s Christian Association officer for over twenty-five years. This is a semi-secret organization, with activities very much like the Young Men’s Christian Association, with strong emphasis on social service.

The hour of holding the school is the last half hour of the morning service, making what is known as the “combination service,” the benediction not being pronounced until the close of the study period.

According to standards of the Texas Sunday School association, the Collegeport school is known as a “front line school,” and meets seventeen of the twenty essential points necessary to a Twentieth century Sunday school—a record made by only a very few schools in the State and a remarkable showing for a new community.

During the past year the school has bought and nearly paid for a fine piano for the use of the church and school.

On July 4 the school observed the day with a patriotic parade, program and picnic dinner. The school plans an attractive social program for the coming season.

The high standard already attained by the school is a remarkable one and is an indication that nothing less than the ideal is to be reached, with every point of the standards covered with 100 per cent for every point.

Collegeport Chronicle, September 12, 1912
 


Federated Church.

The preamble to the articles of the Federated church of Collegeport tells the story of its raison d’aitre as follows:

Whereas, we, the citizens of Collegeport and vicinity, realize the need of a church in Collegeport and

Whereas, we belong to different denominations and faiths, none of which has a sufficient number of adherents to support and maintain a suitable church at the present time, and

Whereas, the day has come when men and women have learned to emphasize their common ideals and service, in the interest of the best and highest citizenship and for the glory of God, we join together and agree to follow articles; to wit:

The church was organized three years ago as a temporary convenience; it has grown into a permanent idea and the members refuse to leave it for any denomination. Since the evangelical denominations agree to 90 per cent of their religious ideas, the people question the wisdom of splitting over the 10 per cent of theological differences.

There are about a dozen denominations represented in the membership, each enjoying membership on the basis of an individual conscience, none being asked to relinquish his denominational affiliations nor his peculiar ideas so long as he is broad enough to accord the same to his neighbor. “Broad but high” is the slogan. Broad in the intellectual conceptions, but high in ethical standards. Because of united action Collegeport has a large, attractive, substantial church building, of colonial design, the interior finished in mission consisting of a spacious auditorium, three large parlors and class rooms, besides the minister’s study. The burden of support, resting as it does upon a large membership, falls heavily upon no one, and the large enthusiastic congregations are an attraction, not seen in every new town. The Collegeport church has the rare distinction of having more men than women in its Sunday school and other services, due to the fact that the aim of the organization is evidently the uplift of the community and not the advancement of any denomination.

Not only the religious, but also the social life of the town and community claims an interest in the church. The various social entertainments, banquets, etc., are gotten up not as money-makers, but as social functions, the price charges being sufficient to pay expenses always, and the advantage is seen in the response of the people.

The citizens of Collegeport will not be compelled to go through stage of competitive mission interests nor will he need to go to the little village church, but he has the advantage of a large, flourishing spiritual church carried on along city lines, with its various affiliated organizations calculated to contribute to the needs of the entire family in an efficient manner.

Some interesting experiences have been related by members. In several instances a man and his wife who belonged to different denominations have stated that for the first time they have enjoyed the membership on the same grounds in one church.

The effect of such an experience upon the family may well be imagined. In fact, Collegeport has been spared the harrowing spectacle of denominational dissensions and friction, and in many instances men who had ceased to take any interest at all in church life because of these things in other places have been delighted with the atmosphere and become happy members here. There are but few churches in this country just like the First Church of Collegeport—federated—but the idea is a growing one and the tribe is bound to increase.

The minister, Rev. Murray A. Travis, who was largely instrumental in the organization of the church, will gladly answer any inquiries as to its work, which space forbids in this brief description.

Collegeport Chronicle, September 12, 1912
 


St. Mary’s
Mission .

Late on a certain Sunday in November in 1910, the Right Rev. Bishop Kinsolving of Austin , Texas , and Dr. John Sloane of Bay City , Texas arrived in Collegeport after a tedious and troublesome trip via automobile route from Matagorda.

The country was new, and roads and trails had the faculty of ending abruptly into a fence or an old-time hedge--indeed the obstacles of the drive were enough to try the good natured patience and equable spirits of even a right reverend bishop. But at last the few scatting buildings of the city-to-be, Collegeport, loomed into sight and their goal was reached.

Services were held that evening and before the bishop and Dr. Sloane left St. Mary’s Mission had been organized, in spite of the appalling fact that there were only three families of the Episcopalian faith in and around Collegeport.

However, their desires and ambitions were not curbed by the knowledge that the communicants were woefully few in number, and it was decided that somehow and in some way, then unknown, a chapel would be built in which to hold regular services.

In the meantime a room was secured at the Gulf Coast University and every Sunday morning, one of their members being a licensed layman, the service was read in that place.

At first it really seemed impossible to build more than a small frame structure, but quietly and faithfully the work went on until finally it became a settled fact that funds would be provided with which to build something artistic as well as serviceable and durable for all time. Early in the next summer work was begun on the beautiful little building which stands today a splendid type of all mission architecture and a structure of which any locality should be proud.

The building is constructed of concrete, the inside walls being plastered and tinted a rich deep cream color to harmonize with the mission woodwork. The windows are of Florentine glass and the doors are of special design done in mission to correspond with the architecture of the building. Even the organ was finished to match the woodwork and the effect as one enters the chapel is peaceful and inspiring giving an ideal environment in which to worship one’s maker.

In two months of laying of the cornerstone, the building was finished and just a year after his first visit to Collegeport Bishop Kinsolving returned to consecrate it as Grace chapel of St. Mary’s Mission .

Today, the property, entirely paid for and out of debt, includes three lots and a building worth $2500, a result of earnest effort and endeavor, and a living and speaking illustration of the spirit of the development of midcoast Texas .

Collegeport Chronicle, September 12, 1912
 


Woman’s Club.

The spirit of ideal womanhood has taught the people of Collegeport that whenever womankind touches the wand that directs a band of people in the trend of thought there can be but one result, and that result is fully embodied in the motto of the representative women of the town who compose the membership of the Woman’s Club.

“Magnify the Good.”

When the town was less than a year old the Collegeport Woman’s Club began its life with thirty-six charter members, and choosing the above motto, began an earnest work that has grown steadily ever since until its membership has nearly trebled, and the influence of which is felt in every feature of the upbuilding of the town.

The first woman's organization and still the largest and most enthusiastic, besides following regular programs of study in the three departments of education, domestic science and music, has instituted a free public library and reading room without any cost to the town for maintenance; committees from the Woman's club attend to the library work voluntarily. The books are being added by friends who know of this venture, and every week is bringing new additions, all of which are reviewed by a committee before being placed on the distributing list. Such an interest in the reading room exists that more demand is made for books than can be supplied. The library register shows 106 visitors the first day.

The Woman’s Club has joined the State Federation of Women’s clubs and has been appointed historian for Matagorda county by that organization’s committee in preparing for some special club work. A keen interest in public school and in all affairs that need the help and assistance of women. The president of the club and its founder is Mrs. Burton D Hurd, wife of the founder of the town, who has been unanimously elected for the third term and under whose direction the Collegeport Woman’s club has reached the height of being the largest woman's club of any town of its size and age in the United States and a recent census showed that not one member now enrolled had been lost except in a few cases by removal.

Collegeport Chronicle, September 12, 1912
 


"Come into my garden of roses," sang the poet, and "Come into my garden of roses" may the bard of Collegeport sing, not in fancy, but in reality; [not] only when the waning of short springtime grows into the few weeks of June and perchance early July, but all through the year, from spring time until the same moon of the next year, with never more than a few days of forced rest, ever blooming all through the seasons until one wonders where the springtime begins or when winter was here. Come into my garden of roses and fill your soul with the perfume of hundreds of earth's queen of flowers. Great stately American Beauties, full and fragrant, long-stemmed and perfect as the hothouse produce; Brides, Maids, Helen Gould, Clothilde Soupert, Maman Cochet, besides the General Jaqueminot, Marechal Niel, Richmond and other noted personages of the Rose family, mingling near the Golden Gate, beautiful Killarney and flaming Meteor. It all sounds real, and it is real, a bower of Fairy land is my garden, where the violets blossom in midwinter and where the sweet honeysuckle sends forth perfume that causes one to forget the sterner realities of commonplace things and the worries of everyday tasks, while in the early morning hour, with shears in hand, great armfuls of long-stemmed, sweet, perfect blossoms are gathered that will last all through the hours of toil and make life sweeter because of them.

Roses, everblooming, perpetual, annual or climbing varieties, all are naturally adapted to my garden, there are great tall spikes of gorgeous tube-roses, lilies, hydrangea, althea, jonquil and narcissi with cannas for hedges and background, ever growing ever green and blooming; a setting quaint and serviceable for long-spiked tender iris and fragrant carnations. A wealth truly of the rarest flowers, grown in richest profusion for pleasure. What the profit would be from the roses alone--but my pleasure and the gain may be for some one else whose time, thought and labor will give in return some profit almost every day in the year, for the best and finest of blossoms put forth in all their glory at Thanksgiving and Easter when in all localities those rare gems of my garden are indeed rarest, and in the great cities almost priceless. To reserve a few days of cutting previous to those two festivities, has been my practice, to be rewarded with a wealth of glorious blooms and in such quantities that they are not reckoned in dozens but hundreds and but few are anything but nearly perfect.

"Come into my garden of roses."

(My garden is 100 feet square.)

Collegeport Chronicle, September 12, 1912
 


OYSTER BED SITES TO BE LOCATED ON
GULF COAST
.

Work that had its beginning in Matagorda Bay is about to be extended to cover the entire Gulf Coast . When completed this work should mean much to all the towns along the bay and Collegeport should be represented with one good company if not more. The following Associated Press dispatch from the Galveston News is of interest to our readers: Congressman Albert S. Burleson of Austin today telegraphed Game, Fish and Oyster Commissioner W. G. Sterett that the projected general biological survey of the southern coast will be begun in September with a survey of the Texas coast line. The survey proposes locating oyster beds, determining suitable waters for their planting, and what waters are best suited to the various kinds of fish, locating reefs, etc., for the general charting of the bed of the gulf in anticipation of coastwise commerce and fishing extension.

Commissioner Sterett has urged this project for many months in order that he may be prepared adequately to present to the next legislature suggestions and recommendations for laws to protect oyster beds and for possible appropriations to plant new beds in available locations. It is understood by the department here that the Texas survey will begin at the Mexican line and be worked northeastward.

A survey of Matagorda Bay was made by the federal bureau of fisheries in 1904/5? and maps, data, etc., on its results are part of the state fish and oyster department’s records. No other gulf waters have been completely surveyed in this fashion.

Congressman Burleson sent the following wire:

Commissioner Bowers notifies _____ that repairs in Fish ______ about completed and _______ in September he will ______ the _______ survey the ______ of the gulf. Will commence on the Texas coast. Congratulations.

Collegeport Chronicle, September 12, 1912
 


COLLEGEPORT

The Collegeport warehouse was opened Saturday night with a dance. About 500 were present and were royally entertained by the proprietors, Messrs. Yott and Mapes. The warehouse is 80X160 feet in size and has a capacity for 20,000 bags of rice. The firm which goes by name of Matagorda Warehouse & Commission Company will also handle feed, hay, fertilizer, seeds, wood and buy for cash and handle on commission poultry, products, truck and fruit.

The outfit for Hull Bros. canning factory has arrived and will be installed as soon as the building is ready. This machine will have a capacity of 3000 cans per day and will largely be used this fall for figs, tomatoes, cabbage and beans.

The heavy rain Sunday morning made the ground ready for plowing and everyone is busy getting in the fall crop.

The Gulf Coast University has about 30 enrolled for the fall term.

A good delegation from Collegeport will attend the Mid-Coast Congress at Matagorda. Some will go by boat thereby getting a glimpse of the Inter-Coastal Canal.

Mr. Towsers of Laurel , Neb. , has arrived and taken possession of his Boulevard lot. He is erecting a nice residence which will be one more of the bay shore villas.

Vernon Hurd left Tuesday for Essex Fells, New Jersey , where he will complete the course in 1913.

The Burton D. Hurd demonstration farm under the management of Mr. H. F. Loeschner is beginning to be worth seeing. Loeschner has more than 200,000 cabbage and cauliflower plants growing. The Hurd Company employed this truck expert so that the people of Collegeport could have a practical demonstration of what may be done in the truck line.

The Homecroft fig orchard of four acres was one year old last month and is bearing in fine quality of high grade figs. The owner is optimistic and believes the fig a splendid investment. He plans to increase the acreage to ten the coming season.

On Tuesday Mrs. Judge Jones goes north with her two daughters for an indefinite period. Her father is very ill at his home in Norwalk , Ohio .

Friday evening, Mr. and Mrs. Clapp of Homecroft will entertain Judge and Mrs. Jones and daughters at dinner. Homecroft products will supply the oak board.

Plans have been received for the new hotel on the bay front. The building will be concrete and steel, modern in every respect and will cost about $75,000.

Matagorda County Tribune, September 20, 1912
 


Collegeport Chronicle

The Collegeport Chronicle, which for more than two years and a half has been printed in the Beacon office, is now being issued from its own new plant just installed, and presents a handsome mechanical appearance. Collegeport is to be congratulated upon securing such a first-class printing establishment. We predict and wish for the Chronicle the largest measure of success. In making the change the Chronicle has the following kind words to say of its relations with the Beacon, and which we very much appreciate.

It would not be fitting, however, to let the occasion pass without expressing in some measure our appreciation of D. L. Stump, and the entire Beacon force who have so patiently and intelligently handled our printing in their shop. There are few shops that would accept “dope” from a messenger, make up the forms, read the proof, fill up the shortage or select from an over supply without seeing the editor for a month at a time with as much sympathy and intelligence as Bro. Stump and his helpers have done. We shall always hold none but the most kindly feelings for them and the little city they represent. The only reason we have not moved over there long ago was that Collegeport suits us better.

Palacios Beacon, September 27, 1912
 


NEW SCHOOL FOR COLLEGEPORT

Work of Modern Structure Began After Bonds Were Sold.

Collegeport , Texas , November 10.--The bonds having been purchased by the state, the work on the new modern school building has begun in earnest. The building site is near the center of population of the town, is to occupy a quarter of a block of ground and will be built of vitrified brick and concrete. There will be a well kept lawn in front and ample grounds around the building.

Collegeport's newest addition of a business nature is the mammoth warehouse of Messrs. Yott and Mapes. The building is at the terminus of the railroad and on the water front. Besides handling rice and crops, all kinds of produce, hay and feed are bought and sold, thus placing the markets within reach of the producer.

Matagorda County Tribune, Friday, November 15, 1912
 


From the Collegeport Chronicle.

Word has been received from H. A. Clapp that much interest is manifested in his work of advertising the glories of the Collegeport country. He has some fine slides and good records that should arrest the attention if people are looking for a place to locate. He will return to Collegeport after the great Chicago land show.

Burton D. Hurd returned with the land party on Friday from a tour covering Kansas City , St. Louis , Des Moines , Chicago and other cities. He reports good business prospects from the field as was evidenced by the string of teams following his lead over the country looking at land.

A fine rain fell on Thursday night of last week putting the ground in fine shape. The winter gardens are now thriving and the land is in good shape for later planting of winter stuff. Radishes, lettuce, mustard, etc., is in order now. See Mr. Loeschner if you want reliable instruction.

Claud W. Jester came into the city with the land party on Friday looking after the interests of his company and will be here for a few days. Mr. Jester is a native Texan and says we have one of the finest locations in the state. He states that the farmers up state who are rich owe much of it to cotton, and insist that our farmers are losing a golden opportunity when they do not plant at least one quarter of their cultivated land to this crop. The experience of the men who are getting returns seems to back up Mr. Jester's statement. The problem of pickers will be solved if we can get sufficient acreage here to induce the pickers to come. They will not come for a few acres, however, like we have had past few seasons.

Matagorda County Tribune, December 6, 1912
 


We have received several reports of people in our county seat who have tried to discourage tourists coming to look at Collegeport. One says the land is no good, another that there are no decent hotels here, and such. These facts we received from the tourists themselves and we notice in the News that Matagorda is suffering in the same way. We have no idea that this attitude is general in our older sister city, but nevertheless, every person turned away is a prospective settler lost, not only to Collegeport but also to Matagorda county of which Bay City is the Capital. We think it would be well if the Tribune and leading citizens should undertake the task of education these short sighted people to the fact that Bay City’s greatness will lie not so much in being the immediate market place of local farmers but a headquarters for all the towns in the county. This attitude of knocking on neighboring towns is an undesirable one anywhere and can only damage all and help none.—Collegeport Chronicle.

Palacios Beacon, December 20, 1912
 

 

Copyright 2005 - Present by Bay City Newspapers, Inc. for MCT
All rights reserved

Created
Apr. 13, 2005
Updated
May 15, 2011
   

HOME