Matagorda County Recorded Texas Historic Landmarks
208 Main Street 28°42’06.22”N 96°12’45.54”W
The decade between 1910 and 1920 was a period of growth and prosperity for Palacios City, Texas, located in western Matagorda County. The Palacios Land and Investment Company was promoting mild climate, excellent growing condition and sea breezes in its booklet, Try This Orange—It May Start You Going South. Immigrants were attracted by the railroad (first to arrive in 1903), by the fishing and oystering, and by the attraction of beginning fresh in a new land.
life Mr. Koerber came to Texas, and made Houston his home. He was
one of the pioneer merchants of that city, a successful business
man, and continued in active business up until a few years ago, when
failing health compelled him to retire, since which he had spent
much of his time in our city and made friends of all with whom he
came in contact.
He was a
man of high ideals and fine character, influential in any community
where he resided. In his passing there is lost to his family a kind
and loving husband and father, and a more than devoted grandfather
to his three small grandchildren, and his friends a most worthy
citizen and associate. He was a member of the Woodmen of the World,
Post Oak Camp of Houston.
December 14, 1882, he was married to Miss Isabella Mullane, of
Houston, who with the one son, J. L. Koerber of this city and a
half-sister, Mrs. A. C. Finn, of Houston, survive him.
remains, accompanied by Mrs. Koerber and Mr. and Mrs. J. L. Koerber
and children, were taken to Houston Friday night, where funeral
services were held from the home of Mrs. Finn Sunday, at 3:30 p. m.
nature smiled on this beautiful October day, all that was mortal of
Ollie S. Koerber was consigned to Mother Earth to await the
bereaved relatives and friends the Beacon extends heartfelt
October 14, 1921
PALACIOS INDUSTRY STARTED AS SIDE LINE PROVES BIG SUCCESS
Palacios has one of the biggest little
industries in the state of Texas. That may sound peculiar, but it is
Koerber Products Company producers and
canners of the “Uncle Ollie” brand of tamales, chili and old
fashioned stew, is really not a large business compared to some of
the big national canneries but their products are spreading rapidly.
At the present time “Uncle Ollie’s” cans can be found on the shelves
of grocers from Brownsville to Houston and Beaumont and the fame of
their flavor and richness is spreading daily.
started as a side line industry for J. L. Koerber back in 1921 bids
fair to become one of the major industries of this section of the
state. Prepared under the special formula which is the private and
personal property of Mr. Koerber, his products are meeting with a
wide-spread success that is phenomenal, that is until one tastes
some of his chili, tamales or stew, and then one ceases to wonder.
It is just another case of a friend and customer won by a taste.
Although Mr. Koerber started this
business in 1921 he sold it in 1923 after operating it for two
years. He did this because of the press of his other business. After
several exchanges if finally came back to its originator and Mr.
Koerber has been operating the plant since 1933.
Mr. Koerber came to Palacios in 1919 and
first became interested in the garage business at that time when he
took the Ford agency for the Palacios district. This agency he has
kept and is still operating. In 1921 he took the agency for the
Texas Oil Company and is still the Texaco dealer there.
His plant has about 500 square feet of
floor space and employs 11 people. His Ford agency requires five
more and the Texaco dealership three.
His cannery products are sold only
through jobbers who in turn spread them through the retail
territory. This territory coincides very closely with that served by
the “Hug-the-Cost” Highway, both actual and proposed. Business is
increasing yearly, according to Mr. Koerber and it may not be such a
long time before it will be necessary to increase the size of his
plant to care for the orders. At the present time the plant has a
capacity of 300 cans per day.
Matagorda County Tribune, Century
of Progress Edition, Fifth Section, August 26, 1937
Labels for Uncle Ollie's Products Courtesy of Larry & Carol of Tru-Tex Antique Prints