Palacios Businesses
 

 

P. F. Campbell
Courtesy of Bobbie Dykes
 



F. J. Powers
Courtesy of Bobbie Dykes
 



Ruel B. Foley
Courtesy of Caren McNeill
 


Frock Shoppe Has Latest In Women’s Fads and Fashion

The Marguerite and Genevieve Frock Shoppe is one of the most popular of the ladies ready-to-wear stores. They believe thoroughly in quality merchandise and make it a point to stock nothing else. They are familiar with the whims of the well dressed woman and know how discouraging it is to one who pays particular attention to attiring herself in the best and latest of fashions and with this thought it mind they select the most attractive numbers from many well known lines and do not duplicate.

Marguerite Reiman and Genevieve Lowe are the two girls who own the shop are both products of Matagorda County. Marguerite was in the employ of D. P. Moore for seven years and Genevieve about five. About ten years ago they decided to incorporate their tangible assets and the intangible assets of their knowledge of merchandise and their pleasing personalities and open a business of their own. It proved a potent undertaking for the girls and a source of satisfaction to the women of the community.

New Fall merchandise is now arriving and there are many varied and interesting selections to be found in this shop.

Palacios Beacon, October 19, 1939
 


Palacios Beacon, March 14, 1946
 


Palacios Beacon, March 14, 1946
 


Bus Station Moves To New Location Corner Main and 4th

The Koerber building at the corner of 4th and Main streets is the new home for the bus station, the change being made Monday. Mr. E. A. Starrett, who has been terminal manager the past two years will continue to be in charge and plans to operate a cold drink, ice cream and candy service in connection with the station.

The Continental Trailways, formerly the Bowen Motor Coaches has served Palacios for the past ten years and its first office was located in the Crescent Drug Store, with John D. Bowden in charge. When Camp Hulen was selected as a training camp, the increase in business necessitated a change, and in April 1941, the station was moved into a new location on Main Street, built and arranged to better serve the traveling public at that time. It occupied the two central sections of a four-room brick and tile structure just completed by Mr. J. L. Pybus. At that time there was a daily schedule of twenty-two buses and besides direct routes to Houston, Corpus Christi, San Antonio, Victoria and El Campo, an hourly service was maintained to Camp Hulen for the convenience of the thousands of men who trained there and the hundreds of civilian employees. Jerry Marbury was agent, and a crew from 12 to 15 helpers employed.

When training ceased and activities almost nil in the camp, bus service there was discontinued, the large quarters became another war casualty.

Palacios continues to be provided with a splendid service, four buses to the east and north each day and three going to Corpus Christi and other towns in that direction.

Mr. Starrett states, "The Continental Trailways have a fleet of 130 new buses. Nine of these have already been delivered. The Continental is the first bus company in the entire southwest to offer new postwar equipment to the traveling public. The new red and cream busses have air conditioning units, enunciator systems, radio, individual reading lamps, and thermostatic controlled temperature. These busses also have shatter proof, heat absorbing, non-glare safety glass in all windows."

Palacios Beacon, April 11, 1946
 




Palacios Beacon, February 20, 1947
 


Paul Wyatt Purchases Stock And Equipment Of Capitol Drugs

A major business change took place Tuesday of this week when Paul Wyatt took over operations of the Capitol Drugs from Mr. and Mrs. A. S. Rowton.

Mr. Wyatt will continue to sell drugs, have fountain service and coffee and will specialize in business men's lunches.

Milton Rowton will continue to have his watch repair and jewelry shop in the building.

Mr. and Mrs. Rowton, owners of the Capitol Drugs since January 6, 1946 when they purchased the store from J. G. Davis and J. G. Long, were bidding farewell and extending thanks to their friends and patrons this week.

The store was first located in the southwest corner of the Capitol Theatre on Main Street and on the first of March 1952 moved across the street to the Ramsey building. In March 1957 the Rowtons purchased and moved into the Hillyer building on Commerce Street.

The Rowtans will continue to make their home in Palacios and will operate the Capitol Drugs No. 2 in Blessing.

Mr. Wyatt, who was sent to Camp Hulen in 1941, has considered Palacios his home ever since. He married Miss Hortense Langston of Francitas and they are the parents of one son. He has always been an active member of the Veterans of Foreign Wars, having served the local post as commander. He operated the Cozy Cafe on Main Street for two years.

Palacios Beacon, September 10, 1959
 


Lewing Brothers To Hold Grand Opening New Texaco Station

Friday and Saturday, September 11 and 12, are "Red Letter" days at the new Lewing Texaco Service Station, located on highway 35 between Glendale Courts and the "Y" Cafe.

Monroe Lewing and his two sons, Jim and Jearl, will hold their formal opening on these two days.

Door prizes will be awarded at 8:00 p. m. Saturday with the following prizes to be awarded: B. F. Goodrich tire, Westinghouse coffee maker, oil treated car rugs, Mason 2-speed mixer, grease job and a wash job.

Texaco Fire-Chief hats will be given the kiddies along with cracker jacks and a cold drink for everyone.

Palacios Beacon, September 10, 1959
 

 

Copyright 2006 - Present by Carol Sue Gibbs
All rights reserved

Created
Jun. 26, 2006
Updated
Oct. 22, 2006
   

HOME