The first session of Camp Palomar opened in the summer of 1919, with an attendance of seventy-two. Mr. J. C. McElhannon was director of the camp, and Mr. J. G. Smith, dean of boys. Mr. McElhannon was dean of San Marcos Academy from the fall term of 1918 to the last of the fall term of 1921. He is now attending Chicago University where he is completing his Phd. degree course. Mr. Smith was also from San Marcos Academy where he taught History.
The summer session of 1920 opened with an attendance of one hundred and fifty. The increase in attendance was due to the success of the first session and also of the students’ realization of the opportunity which the camp school offered them as a means of saving them a whole year, by completing two courses in ten weeks. Mr. McElhannon was again director of the camp and Mr. Smith was dean of boys.
The session of 1921 started with a great change. Another camp school at Lampasas, Texas was organized, with an attendance of one hundred and ten, while the attendance of Camp Palomar increased to one hundred and eighty. Mr. McElhannon remained director of Camp Palomar, while Mr. J. E. Franklin came and took the place of J. G. Smith who became director of Camp Marlamont.
The session of 1922 has now opened with an attendance of eighty. The decrease in attendance is mainly due to the financial depression of the times as parents are now, in many cases keeping their boys and girls at home and giving them work, in the place of sending them off to school.
Camp Marlamont opened with an attendance of one hundred. Captain Petty of the Tenn. Military Inst., is director of that camp in the place of Mr. J. G. Smith, who is taking special work in Chicago University.
Mr. J. E. Abney is now director of Camp Palomar in the place of Mr. McElhannon. Mr. Abney is a very efficient teacher of wide experience. He was dean of San Marcos Academy during the spring term of 1922. With the assistance of Mr. Franklin, who is dean of boys, we all believe that Mr. Abney will have a very successful summer.
The idea of a summer camp school originated with President Brown and is one of the several educational innovations, which have distinguished his term of office in the Academy.
June 30, 1921
In the spring of 1919 Dr. J. V.
Brown, then President of San Marcos Baptist Academy, saw the need of
a summer term of school in order for students to remove some of the
deficiencies in their high school courses. The problem was discussed
from many angles with members of the Academy faculty, and the
conclusion was reached that such opportunity for study in the summer
must be offered. It appeared feasible that a program of study and
recreation should be set up in order that the enterprise would be
interesting and attractive to pupils. In considering the place to
carry out such a combination of effort, it was found that the
Baptist Encampment grounds at Palacios offered most excellent
facilities. Arrangements were made with the manager of the
Encampment ground to that end.
This enterprise marked the beginning of recreational camps and summer schools for high school students in Texas. Others have taken up the idea and expanded it until now, twenty years later, the idea has found popular approval and numerous such enterprises are carried out. The management of the San Marcos Academy always appreciated the cordial response from the people of Palacios and near-by communities.
Palacios Beacon Progress and
October 19, 1939, Section D, Page 1
The Camp Palomar school opened Thursday and will continue to August 15th.
All preliminary and high school subjects except Science are being taught by members of the San Marcos Academy faculty. Mr. J. C. MeElhannon, dean of the Academy, is conductor of the Camp school and teaches English; Mr. J. E. Ahney teaches mathematics; Mr. M. P. Deviney teaches history and directs sports and recreation; Miss Lara Willeford teaches Latin and Spanish and supervises the activities of the girls. Miss McFarland Ward is the teacher of expression. Mrs. J. C. McElhannon is teaching children in the intermediate grades, giving opportunity for those behind or uneven in classification to make up conditions and deficiencies. Piano is taught by Prof. Rudolph Richter, for five years director of music in the Oklahoma Woman’s College. Violin and wind instruments are taught by Prof. Albertus S. Heister, dean of Fine Arts for ten years in the Academy at San Marcos. Mrs. Cora McMullen has charge of the dining hall, where every one of the campers responds with promptness and enthusiasm at the sound of the bugle.
President J. V Brown of the Academy has been in Palacios since last Saturday getting things in readiness for the coming of the student-campers. He expresses gratification at the splendid enrollment of campers and local pupils as well.
The forenoon will be employed with an intensive program of study and instruction, while the afternoon will be devoted to study, recreation and sports.
The boys will organize a strong base ball team and will soon be ready for games with local and neighboring teams.
Arrangements have been made with Mr. Moore securing his boat, the “Opal B.” for the season. Excursion parties will enjoy sailing to various points of interest about the bay.
It is the purpose of the San Marcos Academy to make the Camp School a permanent feature of its work.
Palacios is indeed fortunate in having this body of earnest students and faculty of experienced and talented men and women for the summer season, and there is no doubt but that our people will show their appreciation with the proper greetings and support.
June 13, 1919
Following is a list of those who have enrolled for work at Camp Palomar since this school opened up, Tuesday, June 10.
June 20, 1919
The Baby Camp of 65 students which opened under the protecting care of the B. Y. P. U. of Texas in 1919 has succeeded beyond the fondest dreams of the founders. Accepting the invitation of the Baptist Young People to establish a summer camp school, San Marcos Academy entered upon the work with heart and soul, prosecuting it with all of its characteristic thoroughness. In 1920 160 students came, and this third year the enrollment will likely pass the 200 mark. Marvels never cease.
The Encampment and the people of Palacios are squarely behind the school. New pavilions have been erected, a boys' dormitory has been donated, and excellent equipment of every kind has been set up.
The rarest opportunity possible is offered to the Baptist boys and girls of Texas to have a pleasant vacation and to be in school at the same time. Other states are following and soon every Encampment ground in the South will be the site of a Baptist Camp school where our boys and girls can spend their vacations under the supervision of strong Christian men and women. Our hats are off to the Browns and McElhannons, the pioneers in this kind of work. May their tribe increase.
Palacios Beacon, July 15,
Camp Palomar school opens next Tuesday and the attendance promises to be very encouraging. The school has an especially strong corps of teachers being under the direction of Mr. J. E. Abney, dean of the San Marcos Baptist Academy. Major J. E. Franklin, who belongs to the reserve officers corps, will be counsellor for the boys. Major Franklin is a fine gentleman, splendidly equipped to take care of the boys and to offer them the counsel and guidance they need. The counsellor for the girls' camp is Miss Ada Willeford, who has recently secured her M. A. degree from the University of Columbia. While in the east she visited the principal camps of the east and north studying the most successful methods for conducting camp life. Miss Willeford is full of inspiration to those with whom she is associated. To assist these who are in charge, there is an able group of instructors, each a specialist in his work, to take care of the class work and recreational activities.
Mrs. M. S. Kerby, who had charge of the dining room last year, is again the Camp Dietitian thus giving assurance that this department will be well taken care of. The Camp is better equipped than ever for caring for the development of the child, mentally, spiritually and physically.
Palacios Beacon, June 9, 1922
After getting off to a whirlwind start Palomar continued to pile up the score and defeated the Collegeport nine 14 to 6, making two out of three in the series with Collegeport.
The scoring started in the first inning, when Teague singled, stole second and came home on Maley's hit to center; Maley followed with a stolen base and scored on Johnson's hit. Johnson scored on Mims' hit, after which Mims went out stealing second.
In the second Knight singled to left and moved to
second on Dearman's out and to third on Brown's hit. Knight and
Brown scored on
In the last inning Mims started with a double to left, Wade then fanned and Wood hit to second, who fumbled; Mims went to third and Wood was safe on first. Both men then scored on Dearman's triple to right, and Dearman scored also on a bad peg into home.
Collegport scored one in the third on two hits and a stolen base, and one in the fourth the same way. They scored three in the seventh on a walk, a hit and two errors, and one in the eighth on an error and an overthrow to second.
Kamper, Palacios Beacon,
July 27, 1922