Palacios Cemetery
 
 


PALACIOS CEMETERY

THE PRIMARY BURIAL GROUND FOR CITIZENS OF PALACIOS, THIS CEMETERY DATES TO THE BEGINNINGS OF THE COMMUNITY. THE DEATH OF ALICE SINGER IN 1905, THREE YEARS AFTER THE FOUNDING OF PALACIOS, GAVE RISE TO THE NEED FOR A COMMUNITY CEMETERY.

THE LAND, WHICH WAS ONCE A PART OF THE ESTATE OF TEXAS CATTLE BARON A. H. “SHANGHAI” PIERCE, WAS DONATED TO THE CITY FOR USE AS A CEMETERY BY THE TEXAS RICE DEVELOPMENT COMPANY AND THE PALACIOS TOWNSITE COMPANY. THE PLOT WAS SURVEYED IN 1907, AND ADDITIONAL LAND WAS ACQUIRED IN 1918 AND 1983.

LOCATED JUST WEST OF THE ORIGINAL TOWNSITE, THE CEMETERY’S GRAVE SITES ARE MARKED WITH A VARIETY OF MONUMENTS, FROM SIMPLE WOODEN CROSSES AND CARVED ANGELS TO LARGE GRANITE STONES. A LARGE MONUMENT TO HONOR U. S. MILITARY VETERANS WAS ERECTED IN 1963 BY LOCAL POSTS OF THE AMERICAN LEGION AND VETERANS OF FOREIGN WARS. SOLDIERS AND VETERANS OF SIX WARS ARE BURIED HERE- -THE CIVIL WAR, SPANISH-AMERICAN WAR, WORLD WAR I, WORLD WAR II, KOREA, AND VIETNAM. ADDITIONALLY STONES MARKING THE GRAVES OF VIETNAMESE REFUGEES, A NUMBER OF WHO SETTLED IN PALACIOS AND OTHER TEXAS COASTAL TOWNS AFTER 1975, CAN BE SEEN HERE.

TEXAS SESQUICENTENNIAL 1936-1986

Marker inscription typed by Faye Cunningham.
 


This database is a work in progress. If you have corrections or additions, please email. The file is divided into 19 parts due to its size, but it is listed in alphabetical order. To search maiden names, use the Edit-Find feature in your browser.

Additional information and links to obituaries will be added as time permits.

Information on this page was obtained from Matagorda County Genealogical Society obituary records and online databases.
 

 

For more information on burial locations, contact Mary Sexton .
   
Palacios Cemetery at Find A Grave PALACIOS CEMETERY HOME

 




Map copyright Google Earth 2011
 


Death of Mrs. Phil Singer in 1905 Gives Cause for Cemetery

The death of Alice Singer, wife of Phil Singer, on April 4, 1905, brought the need of Palacios having a suitable place to bury the dead, and a committee was appointed to select such a spot. The present site was chosen by this committee and the The Texas Rice Development Company donated a plot of five acres. In 1907 one acre adjoining on the west was purchased and in 1918 four more acres were added, making altogether ten acres for the cemetery.

In September of 1905 Mr. Harrington, County Surveyor, divided the first five acres into lots.

Substantial improvements have been made at different times and during the past year a new fence, and gates with cement posts have been added. The Palacios cemetery is considered as one of the best kept God's Acre in this entire section.

During the early days Messrs. C. Doss, Alex Nelson, C. J. Wildman, J. L. Pybus, D. D. Rittenhouse and Duncan Ruthven were among those interested in the upkeep of the cemetery. Later we find the names O. C. Arnold, W. H. Clement, M. K. Feather and the late F. C. Hensel who became president of the Association, a position he filled until his death when J. L. Pybus was elected to the place and is still serving in that capacity.

On Jan. 1, 1917 D. D. Rittenhouse was appointed manager and he served in this capacity faithfully until a few years ago when his health became such he could not give it the care and attention he desired.

D. P. Jordan is now caretaker, and Mrs. O. C. Arnold secretary and treasurer.

When the association was first formed three trustees were elected by the people and it was voted that the cemetery be maintained by the sale of lots and each owner pay $2.00 per year.

The funeral of Mrs. Singer was held on April 5, with Rev. W. H. Travis, President of the Palacios College, officiating.

Palacios Beacon, October 19, 1939
 



 


 



 

 

Copyright 2006 - Present by Carol Sue Gibbs
All rights reserved

Created
Mar. 1, 2006
Updated
October 1, 2011
   

HOME