Search billions of records on

Sugar Valley

George Raymond Brown

 Sugar Valley For Kids

George Raymond Brown Family

Walter Alfred Brown Family

Sugar Valley
By Mary B. Ingram

Sugar Valley, situated in eastern Matagorda County on State Highway 35 and along Caney Creek, received its name from the sugar mill which was approximately 200 feet directly west of FM 1728. The sugar mill, constructed of brick made in a kiln on the Bouldin Plantation, was in operation from 1904 to 1922. One carload of brown sugar was shipped from this mill. Syrup was the main product; approximately 600 gallons a day were produced. The syrup was shipped by railroad gondolas to the factory at Sugar Lane in Fort Bend County.

George Raymond Brown, owner and builder of the Sugar Valley mill, came from Bavaria, Germany, to this country about 1868. Landing first in New York, he then went to New Orleans, Louisiana, where he worked in the cane fields, cutting sugar by hand. It was here that he learned about the sugar industry. He drifted to Texas, and eventually settled on Caney Creek because he thought it the richest land he had ever seen.

Typed by Henry Hanson

Van Vleck, Sugar Valley, Ashwood News

Mrs. Geo. Walker

The Baptist Church will begin a youth revival Sunday, August 26th, with Brother Dale Pruett doing the preaching each evening. The young people will be in charge during the entire week. Services will begin each evening at 7:30.

Thomas Rugeley has come home from the V. A. hospital for a 10 day stay.

Eugene Bickham from McCamey is spending a few days with his mother and father, Mr. and Mrs. L. L. Bickham.

Gary Garner is home again. After spending a good part of his summer vacation with his grandparents in Henderson.

Mr. and Mrs. Geo. M. Walker had as house guest during the week Mr. and Mrs. Val Polk of Abilene and Mr. and Mrs. Joe Comfort of Houston.

Mr. and Mrs. T. N. Barber and sons have returned home from their vacation.

Mr. and Mrs. Homer Vos have moved into their new home.

Mr. and Mrs. W. F. Ballinger and family have returned home after touring much of the United States.

Mr. and Mrs. W. T. Walker had their son, Charlie, and his family from Houston over the weekend. Their daughter from Lake Charles, La., was down also.

George Henry Walker and David Lee McCullough had visiting with them the past week, their cousin Wilson Beavers.

Bobby and Jimmy Brown have visiting with them their cousin, Alice Ann Woolsey of Lubbock.

Nona Jo Sansing has Diane Fletcher of Houston, visiting her for a few days.

Daily Tribune, August 17, 1956

Van Vleck - Sugar Valley News

By Mrs. Ed O'Connell

Mr. and Mrs. Ben Fowler spent the weekend in Corpus Christi and Mexico.

Mrs. R. L. Massey and daughter Bobbie of Houston spent the weekend with Mrs. Massey's daughter and family, the Allen E. O'Connell's.

Mr. Victor Yeager of Bryan was visiting his sister and husband, the E. Rudds over the weekend.

Mr. and Mrs. R. B. Jung and children and Mr. and Mrs. Tommy Matthews, all of Houston spent the weekend with their parents, Mr. and Mrs. Phillip Johnson and Mr. and Mrs. T. D. Matthews.

Mrs. Nora O'Connell left Sunday to spend a week with relatives in San Antonio.

Our deepest sympathy goes to Jack King in the sudden death of his father, who passed away at his home at Old Ocean Sunday.

Bay City News, April 23, 1958


Copyright 2006 - Present by Carol Sue Gibbs
All rights reserved

Jan. 13, 2006
Sep. 5, 2013