|11 Jun 1845||03 Sep 1931||HW||IN||Cpl||
6th Regt IN Inf
|15 Dec 1830||29 Jun 1924||PA||IL||Sgt||
104th Regt IL Inf
|30 Nov 1838||11 Feb 1932||CP||OH||Pvt||
43rd Regt OH Inf
|25 Apr 1842||01 Jan 1929||CV||MN||Pvt||
Cool, George E. aka Cole, George E.
|03 Mar 1844||26 Jun 1918||PA||NY||Pvt||
34th Regt NY Inf
|Feb 1839||23 Feb 1908||PA||KY||Pvt||
49th Regt KY Inf
|27 Jan 1843||13 Dec 1922||HW||NY||Pvt||
151st Regt NY Inf
|07 Feb 1829||30 Oct 1912||PA||WI||Pvt||
48th Regt WI Inf
|19 Dec 1840||26 Aug 1916||PA||MO||Pvt||
35th Regt MO Inf
|27 Apr 1843||27 Mar 1929||PA||NY||
13th Regt NY Cav
3rd Regt NY Cav
|16 Dec 1846||28 Jan 1932||PA||OH||Pvt||
188th Regt OH Inf
|08 Sep 1842||20 Mar 1920||SF||WI||
7th Regt WI Inf
|05 Feb 1841||20 May 1914||PA||IN/OH||Pvt||
55th IN Inf/4th OH Cav
|29 Jul 1843||16 Apr 1925||PA||IL||Pvt||
68th Regt IL Inf
|24 May 1842||31 May 1920||HW||NY||
3rd Regt NJ Inf
|11 Oct 1849||02 Nov 1921||CV||NY||Drum|
|09 Feb 1847||16 Jun 1935||PA||IN||Pvt||
151st Regt IN Inf
|c1842||29 Dec 1863||MP||OH||Mus||
16th Regt OH Inf
|05 Feb 1846||16 Sep 1925||PA||NY||Pvt||
1st Regt NY Cav
|20 Jul 1844||05 Nov 1922||PA||KS||Pvt||
9th KS Cav - Co
| Jan 1846||25 Dec 1915||PA||IL||Pvt||
124th Regt IL Inf & 33 Regt IL Inf
|28 Apr 1846||08 Apr 1932||PA||OH||Pvt||
42nd Regt OH Inf
|25 Mar 1813||17 Sep 1917||PA||TN||
2nd Regt TN Vols
|21 May 1835||25 Sep 1912||PA||OH||Pvt||167th Regt OH Inf||G|
|31 Dec 1843||PA|
Anderson, who passed away at his home in Palacios Thursday evening,
Sept. 3, was born at Elizabethtown, Ind., on June 11, 1845.
Hiram Beck was most likely the first child born to Jesse S. and Eliza Elder Beck. He was born December 15, 1830 at (Spring?), Centre County, Pennsylvania. In the 1850 Federal census for Centre County, Jesse and Eliza are living with six of their children: William, Henry, Mary, Malvina, Harietta and Martha.
Hiram and Hannah Ellen Jackson, who was born in Indiana on August 26, 1839, were married in Iowa on April 8, 1858. Of this union, from 1859 until 1880 they reared 11 children: Clarence, Laura, Lida, Arminda, Minnie, Effie May, May, Mary, Dan, Daisy Belle and Jessie.
The family, with baby Clarence, had moved to Medota, LaSalle County, Il c.1859. With the outbreak of the Civil War Hiram enlisted in the Union Army. He was mustered in as a Private with Company C, Illinois 104th Infantry Regiment on August 27, 1862. He was discharged as a Sergeant on June 6, 1865 at Washington, D.C.
The 104th Illinois Infantry Regiment was organized at Ottawa, Il in August 1862, and was composed almost entirely of LaSalle County men. On December 6, 1862, in their first battle, the 104th was completely surrounded by Confederate troops after other supporting units fell back, and they were taken prisoner of war. The regiment was paroled in April 1863 at which time they rejoined the army of the Ohio. After rejoining the Army of the Ohio the regiment was engaged in numerous battles, including: Tullahoma Campaign, Chickamauga, Lookout Mountain/Missionary Ridge (Chattanooga), Atlanta Campaign [Buzzard’s Roost Gap, Resaca, Kennesaw Mountain, Peachtree Creek, Jonesborough] and the infamous March to the Sea from Atlanta to Savannah, Georgia.
On November 15, 1864, after looting and burning Atlanta, Sherman’s Army of 70,000 men organized into four corps started across Georgia. Farms were looted for food, houses and farms burned, and railroads were torn up and destroyed. Sherman’s March to the Sea was the first example of “modern war” taking the war to the supporting population and destroying the will of the population to resist.
On May 19, 1865 the regiment participated in the Grand Review at Washington, D.C., and was mustered out on June 6th. On June 8th they left Washington for Chicago, arriving there on the 10th. The men were paid, and then returned to their homes.
After the war the growing family returned to Iowa where they lived until 1880. From Iowa they moved west to Nebraska, then turned south to Kansas where they made their home until 1910.
Hiram and Hannah, now in their 80’s, along with their widowed daughter Minnie Franz moved next to Palacios, Texas according to the 1920 Federal census. It is unknown why they made the move from Kansas to Texas at their great age.
Hiram died on June 30, 1924 at Palacios, Matagorda County, Texas and was buried in the Palacios Cemetery. Hannah died on November 28, 1925 at Palacios and was buried next to Hiram. Their youngest daughter Jessie (Jess) died on January 10, 1957 at Holdenville, OK and was brought to Texas to be buried beside her parents.
No obituary could be located for Mr. Beck.
Lewis Benjamin Bonnett was born to Simon L. and Marinda Boggs Bonnett on November 30, 1839 at Coshocton County, Ohio. His known siblings were: Mary E., Rebecca A., Henry W., and Thomas O. The family is in the town of Perry, Coshocton Co., Ohio in the 1850 census.
On February 27, 1860 he married Jane Horn at Knox County, Ohio. Jane was a native of Knox County, and would be his wartime bride. Two children are known to be born of this union: Luella A., and Elmer Elsworth.
Lewis enlisted as a Private in Company K, 43rd Ohio Infantry Regiment on January 13, 1862 at the age of 22. He was mustered out of the regiment on January 15, 1865.
The 43rd Ohio Infantry was organized in Mount Vernon, Ohio September 28, 1861 through February 1, 1862 and was mustered in for three years Federal service. The regiment was involved in many battles and skirmishes throughout the Civil War, to name a few: Battle of Island No. 10, MO/KY; Siege and Battle of Corinth, MS; Battle of Iuka, MS; Atlanta, GA Campaign [Siege & Battle]; Battle of Resaca, GA; Battle of Dallas, GA; Battle of New Hope Church, GA; Battle of Allatoona Pass, GA; Battle of Kennesaw Mountain, GA; Battle of Jonesboro, GA; Battle of Lovejoy’s Station, GA; the infamous Sherman’s March to the Sea; The Carolinas Campaign and the Battle of Bentonville, NC and participated in the Grand Review at Washington, D.C. on May 24, 1865. The regiment mustered out of service at Louisville, KY on July 13, 1865.
The regiment lost during service 4 officers and 61 enlisted men killed or mortally wounded and 2 officers and 189 enlisted men by disease, for a total of 256 men lost.
After the war Lewis took up farming and stock raising; he and the family moved to Felix, Grundy County, Iowa, where they lived for a short while before moving to Lincoln, Adams County. Ohio.
It was while they were living at Lincoln Jane died on October 23, 1892. She was buried at Oakland Cemetery, Corning, Adams County, IA. She was fifty years of age.
Around 1894 Lewis married Crista _______ who was born in Ohio on September 7, 1847. This marriage lasted until sometime around 1900 – 1910 and apparently ended in divorce. Crista Bonnett died on February 14, 1919 and was buried at Lincoln Center Cemetery, Lincoln Center, Adams County, IA. Her monument gives: Wife of B. L. Bonnett.
In the 1910 Federal census Luella and her husband Joseph Krauth were living at Victoria, Cass County, IA with their two sons Clarence R. and Ollie B.; now 70 years old Lewis was living with them. Lewis states he is a widower.
Shortly after the 1910 census had been taken Lewis moved to Matagorda County, Texas; he is now 70+ years old and was living in Markham, where on November 11, 1912** he married Mrs. Nannie K. [Mannie K/C] Brown, a widow who was also living at Markham with her daughter Flora. Nannie is 59 years old.
Shortly after their marriage they move to Wharton County, then back to Markham, where Lewis died on February 11, 1932 at the age of 92***. The funeral was held at their home in Markham, and he was buried at the Collegeport Cemetery, Collegeport, Matagorda County, Texas.
After his death Nannie moved to Richmond, Fort Bend County, Texas. She died on April 6, 1938 and was buried beside Lewis at the Collegeport Cemetery.
*Throughout all the records that were found on Mr. Bonnett his first and middle names were continuously switched. In the 1850 census, where he is living in his parent’s household his name was given as Lewis B. Bonnet. His last name also was spelled either Bonnett or Bonnet.
**Obituary gives November 12, 1912.
***Death Certificate gives age of
Mr. Lewis Bonnett, age 92 years, 2 months and 11 days, died Thursday and was buried in Collegeport at 4 p.m. the same day.
The religious services were conducted by the
Christian Science Society. The funeral was under the direction of
Walker Furniture Company.
The Matagorda County Tribune, Friday, February 12, 1932
Funeral services for B. L. Bonnett Civil War veteran and long-time citizen of Matagorda County, were held at his home in Markham, February 12 at 2 p.m. Mrs. Williams, prominent member of the Christian Science Church of Bay City officiated at the funeral, and interment was made in the cemetery in Collegeport, Texas.
Mr. Bonnett was born in the state of Ohio, Nov. 30, 1838. Growing to manhood in that State, he enlisted in the Union Army at the outbreak of the Civil War and remained in the service until he was discharged at the close of the conflict. He then settled in Iowa, where he spent a number of years as a successful farmer and stock raiser of that state. For a number of years he has been living in Texas.
Mr. Bonnett was thrice married. His first wife, who was married to him before the Civil War, is buried in Ohio, and his second wife is buried in Iowa. After coming to Texas, he married on November 12, 1912, Mrs. Nannie K. Brown who now survives him. He is also survived by two grandchildren in Iowa and a niece and nephew in Ohio.
Although Mr. Bonnett was not a member of any church, he was the son of a Methodist minister and in his later years has been greatly devoted to the Christian Science Church to which Mrs. Bonnett belongs. Relatives and friends feel keenly the departure of one who has attained the distinction of having lived so many happy years. Surely his noble example of longevity can only lead everyone who knew him to a better understanding of that scripture which says, "The hoary head is a crown of glory, if it be found in the way of righteousness."
The Daily Tribune, Wednesday, February 24, 1932
Mrs. B. L. Bonnett
B. L. Bonnett, age, 85 years, passed away at the home of her daughter,
Mrs. George Hill in
Bonnett is survived by two daughters, Mrs. George Hill of Richmond, and
Mrs. Kimball Roberts of
services were held from the Walker-Matchett Funeral Home this afternoon
with the Christian Science service
being read. Interment in
Once again death hath summoned a brother Oddfellow, and the golden gateway to the eternal city hath opened to
welcome him to his home.
He has completed his work in the ministering to the wants of the afflicted, in shedding light unto darkened souls, and in bringing joy unto the places of misery, and as his reward has received the plaudit “Well Done”, from the Supreme Master.
AND – Whereas, he having been a true and faithful Brother of our order, therefore be it resolved that Bay City Lodge No. 81, I.O.O.F. of Texas, in testimony of our loss, tenders to the family of the deceased Brother our sincere condolence in this deep affliction. That a copy of these resolutions be sent to the family, the daily paper, and Texas Oddfellow, and placed on minutes of this lodge.
R. C. Williams, Carl Thompson, A. A. Fryou Committee
The Matagorda County Tribune, January 19, 1929 [Cedarvale Cemetery, Bay City, Texas]
Mrs. T. F. Carr Sr.
Just as we were closing the forms this afternoon the office was notified of the death of Mrs. T. F. Carr Sr., which occurred at her home shortly after 1 o’clock.
In a later issue a full account of the life of this beloved Christian woman will be given in these columns.
Matagorda County Tribune, October 28, 1927
Mrs. Carr Laid to Rest
A great throng of sorrowing friends formed the funeral procession which accompanied the remains of Mrs. T. F. Carr Sr. to Cedarvale this afternoon.
It was one of the most universally attended funerals ever held in the city.
Tomorrow’s paper will contain an especially prepared article concerning the life and death of this good woman.
Matagorda County Tribune, November 4, 1927
Resolutions of Sympathy
To the Officers and Members of Bay City and Matagorda Reviews:
We, your committee appointed to draft resolutions of sympathy for our sisters, Mrs. Frank and Mrs. Bert Carr, beg to submit the following:
Whereas, it has pleased our Heavenly Father to remove from her earthly home, Mrs. T. F. Carr Sr., mother-in-law of our sisters;
Be it therefore, resolved, that we extend our heartfelt sympathy to our sisters in their grief and commend them to the care of our Heavenly Father;
Be it further resolved, that a copy of these resolutions to be sent to the family of our sisters, a copy to be spread on the minutes of our Reviews and a copy be sent the local paper.
Committee—Addie Baxter, Alma Sisk, Dora Schwebel, Maggie E. Harrison.
Matagorda County Tribune, November 4, 1927
Card of Thanks
To Our Many Friends in Bay City and Vicinity:
We can not find words to express our heartfelt thanks for the kindly assistance during her last illness and the many words of sympathy and the beautiful flowers after the death of our wife and mother.
T. F. CARR and FAMILY.
Matagorda County Tribune, November 4, 1927
In Memory of “Grandmother” Carr
Away back yonder in bonny Scotland, there came into being a family of people to be known to the world as “the Kirkpatricks” of Scotland. After many generations had made the family into a dignified and very religious tribe, a part of it decided to come to America, and become a part of the liberty loving, free and easy citizenry of this land. And so as the years passed into history. Among the younger members of this family who had settled to make a home and fortune in Georgia was the father of Harriett Emeline Kirkpatrick Carr, in whose memory this tribute is written. This little blue-eyed girl came into the home, a welcome guest, and while she was yet a small child, the father and mother moved on to find for themselves a home, into which they might plan and find expression of their ideals of life. They were a very religious family, the father being a preacher of the Methodist faith, and a presiding elder in that church. So we see where the little Harriett received her strict training in church life.
She grew into young lady-hood under these environments—religion, romance and chivalry. In the year 1854, her father moved again to Minnesota, and ‘twas there that the real romance of her life began, when she met Theron F. Carr. Theirs was a real friendship from the very beginning, and has lasted through the years till last Thursday when the “tomorrow” of her life was changed into the “today” of her eternity.
“Grandmother Carr” was born in July, 1842, and lived to be more than 85 years old. She, with her husband, lived through many story [stormy] days, but there were also the days that fragrant with the “roses that bloomed beside life’s door.”
In her young lady-hood, she attended Hamlin University of Minnesota, and ‘twas there that she and Mr. Carr studied music together, as it were, getting the harmony of life tuned just together. ‘Twas there that the rough places, and the discords, were worked over to make the melody of their paths smooth and easy. Later, they studied in what was known as “the select school” of Minnesota, studying organ music, and in July of 1861 they were married in Pine Island, Minn. Of those who attended their wedding, Mr. Carr is the only one left among the living.
After they were married they followed the example of their parents, and moved into a new part of the world to start their lives together. They selected for their homestead tht lovely lake country, and picturesque. Soon their wedded bliss was disturbed by the rumors of Indian wars, and just as they were about to gather their first crops, she was left in the little home nest to care for it, while her gallant young husband went out to trail Indians. Their little log cabin became the refuge of many who came to them for shelter, while the men of the families joined in the Indian war. During these days of hardships, Mrs. Carr would spend her time molding bullets for the Indian chasers. They lostg their all in the war by the burning torch of Indians, and after it was over, they moved to Missouri, and still later to Louisiana. The last years of their lives have been spent in Texas and California, back and forth they have been, to be with their children. All of their six sons and one daughter are left to testify to the nobleness of the character of the mother who has just left them. All of her life was Grandmother Carr a devout Christian character. She lived during the days when sometimes it was hard to see that the hand of God was guiding her destiny, but through it all, she never wavered, but held fast to the truth of her Bible, which was the strength of her being. The last few years have been hard for her, physically, but she smiled through the tears of suffering, looking forward to the “land that is fairer than day.”
Mrs. Carr has been a long and faithful member of the Methodist Church, and was a member also of the Order of the Easter Star. The few weeks just past had left her in a very weakened condition, and her suffering made them around her unhappy, but her only words would be that she was tired, and wanted to be at rest. The “rest” came to her quietly, and she just went to sleep in her home here, to awaken in the “home prepared for her, eternal in the heavens.” She left the one who had travelled through this life with her, very sad and desolate, comfortless. But his mind is so fixes on the other “home,” that the pain of parting is not very real. He is near the homeland himself, and at best, the separation is not for long, and in his child-life faith, he seems almost to hold communion with “Harriett” as of old. They had spent sixty-six years in married life, and their thoughts had become almost one.
The home is sad, is all but broken up, but the sons and daughter realize that their mother was ready and anxious to “go” and their sadness is not a grief, but just a hurting in the heart, and a longing to be with “Mother.” We would offer our sympathy to them, understanding the emptiness of it, for only they who have “passed under the rod” can know what the vacant chair by the fireside can mean. They long for the touch of the old withered hand, all in vain. We, too, loved “Grandmother Carr,” and can only say to the ones left lonely, “We shall meet on that beautiful shore.”
Just one of God’s children gone home!
Matagorda County Tribune, November 11, 1927
Photos courtesy of Jim Wright.
John James Crawford was born in February 1839 to John and Cassandra Baker Crawford at Knox County, Kentucky. He was the first born of six children. His siblings were: Andrew Hamilton, Mary, Nancy J., Sarah Minerva and Charity S.
In 1860 the family was living at Harlan Courthouse, Harlan County, Kentucky. John and his brother Andrew joined Company B, 49th Regiment of Kentucky Infantry (Union) at Camp Nelson, Kentucky on September 19, 1863; he joined as a Corporal. In October 1864 he was reduced to Private by a Regimental Courts Martial for unauthorized absence. He was discharged from the regiment on December 26, 1864.
From October 1863 until January 1864 the regiment remained at Somerset, KY. They moved to Camp Burnside, KY in January 64 and remained there until August. The unit was at Lexington in August and then moved to Camp Nelson until October. The regiment was ordered to TN October 1st and performed railroad guard duty near Murfreesboro and between Wartrace and Mill Creek, TN until November. The unit returned to Lexington, KY where they were mustered out on December 26, 1864. The regiment lost during service one enlisted man killed and one officer and 74 enlisted men died from disease, for a total casualty count of 76 men.
After the war he returned home and in 1868 married Lizzie J. Crawford. They resided in Bell County, Kentucky from their marriage until sometime after 1880. Of this union they had eight children: Louise, Fred L., Dorah, Ollie (daughter), Conie E., Minnie, John M. And Albert L.
In 1900 John and Lizzie had moved to Victoria County, Texas with two of their sons, John and Albert.
It is unknown where the family was living when John died on February 23, 1908, but it is presumed to be either Jackson County or Matagorda County. He is buried at the Palacios Cemetery, Palacios, Matagorda County, Texas. It is also unknown when his wife Lizzie died or where she is buried. Their son Fred L. Crawford was residing in Palacios when he died in 1923 and is buried in the Palacios Cemetery.
* Middle name obtained from Fred L. Crawford’s death certificate.
No obituary could be located for Mr.
Photo courtesy of Kenneth L. Thames
In the 1860 Federal census Aaron and his family were living at Wilson, Niagara County, New York. On October 22, 1862, when he was 19 years old, he enlisted in Company B, New York 151st Infantry Regiment, at Lewiston, New York. He served with the 151st throughout the Civil War and mustered out of service on June 26, 1865 at Washington, D.C.
The 151st was involved in many campaigns and battles in Virginia, including: Wapping Heights, McLean’s Ford, Catlett’s Station, Mine Run Campaign, Locust Grove (many casualties), Wilderness, Cold Harbor, Assault of Petersburg and Cedar Creek to name a few. The Regiment was present at Appomattox Court House on April 9, 1865 when General Lee surrendered to General Grant.
Aaron first married a Melvina Clapsaddle in 1865, and they were living in Clayton, Genesee County, Michigan according to the 1870 Federal census, and they had one son, James.
He then married Susan Rose Bostwick on October 8, 1880 at Plum Creek, Dawson County, Nebraska . Of this marriage they had eight children: Aaron, Rosa, Emma Evalena, George Washington, Viola, Augustus (Gustav) Brunette, Ollie (Olive) and Alice Avaniel.
By 1910 the family had moved to Blessing, Texas and set-up their home, and Aaron was working as a truck farmer.
Aaron died on December 13, 1922 and was buried at Hawley Cemetery, Blessing, Matagorda County, Texas. Susan died on February 4, 1936 and was buried beside him.
No obituary could be located for Mr. Crowder.
Mrs. Susan Crowder
Mrs. Susan Crowder died at the family residence near Midfield Monday morning after an illness of a few days. Mrs. Crowder is survived by five daughters, Mrs. Rose Talbott, of Palacios, Texas, Mrs. Emma Herring, of Monte Celo, Calif., Mrs. L. Marcaurelle, of West Columbia, Texas, Misses Ollie and Alice Crowder, of Midfield, Texas, and one son, G. W. Crowder, of Anchor, Texas.
Funeral services were held Tuesday morning at 11 o’clock at Hawley Cemetery, with Rev. E. A. Peterson, of the First Methodist Church officiating. Funeral arrangements were under the direction of Taylor Bros.
Matagorda County Tribune, February 6, 1936
Ralph Osborne Fox was born to Francis and Cynthia Fisk Fox on February 7, 1829 at West Leyden, Lewis County, New York. Other than one brother, Stephen, it is unknown how many siblings Ralph had.
By 1850 the family had moved to Mackinac County, Michigan where Ralph and Mary Ann Pauline “Polly Ann” Page were married in April 1850 at Beaver Island of the same county. It is unknown why, but the marriage did not last. Ralph and Polly Ann had at least two children: Ebenezer Ensign and Henry Edwin.
On January 27, 1858 Ralph re-married to Marinda V. Foster, also of New York, at Oshkosh, Winnebago County, WI. Through the years Ralph and Miranda raised an additional four children: Alice (1858), Olive Jane (1860), George R. (1862) and Charlie P. (1868).
Besides Oshkosh, the family lived at Calumet, Fond Du Lac County, WI and Packwaukee, Marquette County, WI until Marinda’s death on April 3, 1879 at Packwaukee. She is buried at Montello, Marquette County, WI.
On February 7, 1865, at Rushford, Winnebago County, WI Ralph enlisted as a Private in Company E, 48th Wisconsin Infantry Regiment for one year. He was mustered out as a Private on December 30, 1865 at Leavenworth, KS.
The 48th Wisconsin Infantry Regiment was organized on February 1, 1865 at Camp Washburn, Milwaukee, WI for a one year enlistment term. Eight companies left the state on March 22 and reported at Benton Barracks, St. Louis, MO where they were ordered to Paola, KS. Co. C was ordered to Lawrence, Co H to Olathe, F and G were retained at Paola, and A,B,D and E were sent to Fort Scott. Cos. I & K left WI March 8, and arrived at Fort Scott April 28.
The regiment was employed by detachments in getting out timber for fortifications, protecting the country from guerrillas, constructing bridges, and erecting new buildings.
On August 10 the 48th was ordered to Lawrence, KS; on September 6 they departed for Fort Zarah, KS where Cos. E & G were stationed and the remainder of the regiment moved to Fort Larned.
On October 1, the regiment was divided into detachments and sent to various posts for the purpose of guarding mail and government trains against the Indians. Companies A, H, E and G were mustered out at Leavenworth, KS on December 30, 1865. The remaining companies were mustered out in February and March 1866.
The original strength of the regiment was 828 men. Gain by recruits, 4 for a total of 832. Loss by death, 9; desertion, 67; discharge, 36; mustered out, 720.
After Marinda’s death Ralph and the family moved from Packwaukee to Prairie Du Chien, Crawford County, WI where they lived until around 1910. According to the 1910 Federal census the family had moved to Palacios, Matagorda County, Texas. Ralph, now 81, was living with his son Henry and his wife Matilda. His daughter Olive “Ollie” Doxtater, now a widow, was also living in the household.
Ralph died on October 30, 1912, at age 83, at Palacios and was buried in the Palacios Cemetery.
Photo of Mr. Fox courtesy of Gary.
Ralph Osborne Fox was born at West Leydon, N. Y., Feb. 7, 1829, departed this life 7 a. m., Oct. 30, 1912. He had therefore reached the advanced age of 83 years, 8 months and 23 days. Funeral services were held at the Methodist church Wednesday afternoon at 4 o'clock, conducted by the pastor, Rev. D. A. Williams, followed by interment at the city cemetery.
He was the father of four sons and two daughters, of these two sons and one daughter are now living. Their mother died thirty-three years ago. His daughter, Mrs. Doxstador has never been separated from him but five years of her life. There are 21 grandchildren, 37 great grandchildren and 3 great great grandchildren.
He was a soldier for his country having served in the 48th Wisconsin Infantry, and he was also a true soldier of Jesus Christ. He loved the Lord, and his faith was strong to the end. He often spoke of being ready to go when the call should come.
He had a peculiar love for the flag of his country, and on special days, his flag was always seen flying. He gave direction that it should be raised to half-mast when he was gone. This was no childish notion, but sprang from an abiding patriotism.
His affliction was such that he was rarely seen beyond his own door yard, therefore he was not known by many; but to those who did know him he was always the same cheerful soul. Very patient indeed in his last illness. He is gone, but not dead, we shall see him again.
Palacios Beacon, November 1, 1912
Soldier’s Grave Marked
Last week the Federal government sent and caused to be established a nice tombstone for Ralph O. Fox, who had been one of the government soldiers. The government stands ready to do this for each deceased soldier if requested to do so. Steps are being taken to secure a like stone for Mr. Jewel’s grave. Ralph O. Fox was the father of Mr. Henry Fox and Mrs. Olive Doxtater.
Beacon, November 3, 1916
Henry Frisbie was born to Levi Sidney and Sarah Stumbaugh Frisbie on December 19, 1840 in Madison County, Indiana. He had as of the 1850 Federal census 8 siblings: Ann, George, John, Katherine, William, James, Nelson and Jane.
When the Civil War began in 1860 he was working as a laborer in Davis County, Kansas Territory. He may have been returning to the family home place in Madison County when he enlisted in the Union Army at Cainsville, MO on August 24, 1862. Cainsville is approximately half way between Kansas Territory and Indiana. He enlisted as a Private in Company F, 35th Regiment of Missouri Infantry.
During his enlistment he served as a nurse and as a cook. He was appointed a Corporal on December 6, 1864 and was discharged on May 29, 1865.
The 35th Regiment Infantry was primarily a garrison force and saw little battle. While garrisoned at Helena, Arkansas the unit was involved in the repulse of Holme’s attack on Helena on July 4, 1863. From the time the unit was organized in 1862 until it was mustered out on June 28, 1865 the regiment lost 2 officers and 8 enlisted men killed and/or mortally wounded and 2 officers and 234 enlisted men who died from disease for a total casualty count of 246 men.
On November 12, 1865 he married Miss Melissa Jane Mary Baker at Bethany, Harrison County, MO. Between 1865 and 1900 they resided at: Bethany, Lindley and Crane Creek, MO and raised 8 children: Cliff, Florence, Sara Elizabeth, Mary, John, Charles, Walter and Birte (son).
According to the 1910 Federal census he and Mary had moved to Jackson County, Texas along with Walter, and Birtie and his brother James. They were living and farming at Carancahua.
Henry died on August 26, 1916 at the age of 75 and was buried at the Palacios Cemetery, Palacios, Matagorda County, Texas. It is unknown when Mary died or her place of burial.
No obituary could be located for Mr.
Frederick C. Hensel, age 84, died Thursday in Palacios [at] his home. He is survived by two daughters, Mrs. R. J. Sisson of Palacios, Mrs. G. C. Harold of Wood River, Neb., and three sons, Claude P. of Lincoln, Neb., R. A. of Bloomfield, Iowa, Dr. Fred B. of Billings, Mo. Also surviving him are 11 grandchildren and four great grandchildren.
Interment will be in Palacios Cemetery, Sunday at 2:30 p.m. Taylor Brothers, funeral directors, are in charge of funeral arrangements.
Matagorda County Tribune, February 4, 1932
Obituary of F. C. Hensel
The funeral service for F. C. Hensel was held in the Presbyterian Church on Sabbath afternoon Jan. 31st, at 2 o'clock. The relatives present were Mr. and Mrs. R. J. Sisson, Harry Sisson, Elizabeth Sisson and one son, Claude Hensel, Sheriff of Lancaster County, Lincoln, Nebraska. Rev. G. F. Gillespie, Pastor of the Presbyterian Church, and Dr. Driskill, had charge of the service. There was a large and representative attendance. Interment took place in Palacios Cemetery.
F. C. Hensel was born in Columbus, Ohio, Dec. 16th, 1846, and passed to his rest on Jan. 28th, 1932. His wife entered into rest on June 9th, 1920 at Palacios. There were seven children, of whom five are living.
He joined the Northern Army at the early age of fifteen, and saw service all through the war between the States. Returning from the war, he completed his education and engaged in the mercantile business in Columbus, Ohio. He occupied a very prominent position in the business and political life of the City and State. He was especially prominent in politics, being high up in the counsels of the Republican Party. He was on intimate terms with many well-known men in the State which is called "the mother of Presidents." The family moved from Columbus to Hebron, Nebraska, about the year 1886, where he became interested in farming, and also held a good position as District Manager for the International Harvester Co. He moved to Palacios in the year 1910, having lived here for about 22 years. He took a deep interest in the well-being of Palacios. Being of an optimistic disposition, and capable of much enthusiasm, his faith in the future of Palacios never wavered. He served on a number of Boards, and was always in the forefront of everything that was for the good of the city. The citizens decided in 1920 to install a sewerage system. Being in receipt of a pension from the Government, he took entire charge of the work without any thought of compensation--such was his public spirit. No one rejoiced more than he when the National Guard of Texas decided on Palacios as its annual training ground. His enthusiasm was equally great when the $3,000,000 county-wide bond issue was carried for the hard-surfacing of our roads and he rejoiced at the coming of Highways 58 and 71, and too, the near coming of the Hug-the-Cost road.
He left the following poem in [a] prominent place
in one of his private boxes, and it was evidently his favorite:--
The Pastor of the Presbyterian Church chose as
his text at the funeral service the words from the Book of Acts, ch.
13, vv. 36 and 27--"For David, after he had served his own
generation by the will of God, fell asleep , and was laid unto his
fathers, and saw corruption. But He, whom God raised again, saw no
corruption." The preacher said he thought that F. C. Hensel would
have liked his life to be described as a life of service [that]
served his own generation, [from the] point of view of community ___
unweariedly and ____ the end of life_______ how______ the arena when
any cause that appealed to him needed to be championed. It is only
fair to say that he had the defects of his qualities. Strong-minded
men are often impatient and intolerant at times of the weakness of
others. But when this is admitted, what then? F. C. Hensel was
through everything a kind-hearted neighbor and very loyal friend.
Until he was about 75 years of age, he was noted for his quickness
and firmness of step, commanding voice, his tenacious memory, his
quickness and sureness of mind--these all were a kind of
immortality. During the last few years the flashing eyes had grown
dim, the energetic limbs had grown feeble, but he still retained all
his powers of mind and memory. His is a well-earned rest. When the
Angel of death comes, we all comfort ourselves with the words of
Jesus; "Let not your heart be troubled: believe in God, believe also
in me. In my Father's house are many mansions; if it were not so I
would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. And if I go
and prepare a place for you, I will come again, and receive you unto
Myself; that where I am, there ye may be also. And whither I go ye
know, and the way ye know."
Beacon, February 4, 1932
Francis “Frank” Herreth, Jr.
Francis was born on September 2, 1842 at Vienna, Austria. His parents were Francis and Mary Haesler Herreth. It is unknown how many siblings he had. In the early censuses he gave his name as Frank, and according to the 1910 Matagorda County census he immigrated to the United States in 1860.
His life in the United States begins at Eagle Point, Chippewa County, Wisconsin at the beginning of the Civil War. He entered the Union Army on December 21, 1863 as a Private and was assigned to Company A, Wisconsin 7th Infantry - one of several units that made up the “Iron Brigade”. He worked as a tailor during the time he was in service. On March 9, 1865 he was discharged due to disability.
The 7th Wisconsin was raised at Madison, Wisconsin, and mustered into Federal Service September 2, 1861. It saw severe fighting in the 1862 Northern Virginia Campaign and also fighting at Brawner’s Farm during the early part of the Second Battle of Bull Run. During the subsequent Maryland Campaign, the 7th attacked Turner’s Gap in the Battle of South Mountain, and then suffered considerable casualties battling Hood’s Texas Brigade in the D.R. Miller cornfield at Antietam. The 7th also participated in the Battle of Gettysburg in July 1863, and in 1864 , the 7th Wisconsin fought in the Overland Campaign and the Siege of Petersburg.
After the war he returned to Chippewa County, Wisconsin where he married Anna Swoboda on June 2, 1869. Of this union they had three children. Anna passed away February 8, 1873 in Tilden, Wisconsin. Francis remarried on January 27, 1874 to Katherine S. Bleskacek. He and Katherine had 9 children, plus the children from his first marriage. Katherine passed away July 28, 1895 in East Columbia, Brazoria County, Texas.
Francis and his family lived in many places throughout the years, First at Chippewa County, Wisconsin, then McCook , Dakota Territory, where he was a successful stockman and farmer. The family moved to Gainesville, Texas because of Katherine’s failing health, and then Francis settled at Ashby, Matagorda County, Texas.
Throughout his life he was a farmer and a tailor. He died during the night of April 19, 1920 at Ashby, Texas and was buried at St. Francis Cemetery near Wadsworth, Texas. Francis Herreth, Jr. was the grandfather of A. C. Herreth, Jr. of Bay City.
No obituary could be located for Mr.
Samuel V. Jewel was born in Mercer? County, Ohio,
Feb. 15, 1841, and died at his home in Palacios, Texas, May 20,
1914, age 73 years, 3 months and 5 days. He was reared on a farm in
a new country, with very limited opportunity of schooling.
Died. -- At the family home in the north part of
the city; on Monday the 13th inst., Mrs. S. V. Jewel, aged 67 years
and 27 days. Funeral services were held Tuesday, conducted by Dr.
S.W. Dunn, assisted by Rev. Dallas A. Williams, pastor of the
Methodist church, followed by interment at the city cemetery. The
deceased was born at Vanwert, Ohio, and from which place she and her
husband removed to Palacios. She is survived by her husband, who
with all the members of the family have the sincere sympathy of the
people of the city in their bereavement.
Charles H. McClanahan was born July 29, 1843, at Bowling Green, Ill., and lived there until the beginning of the Civil War. He enlisted and served in the army until the close of the war. At the close of the war he moved to Lecompton, Kansas. In 1871 he was married to Miss Florence Evans and established a Christian home. To them were born seven children, five of whom are still living.
Mr. McClanahan and family moved to Texas in 1909, and settled in Palacios where he bought a home, which he sold after the death of this wife several years ago.
He suffered some from the unusually cold weather of last winter and has not been real well since, frequently complaining of pains in his chest. After a few brief weeks of sickness at the home of Mrs. F. G. Berger, his daughter, he died on April 16, 1925. He passed away gently and calmly, in fulfillment of God’s promise. “Thou shalt come to thy grave in a full age, like as a shock of corn cometh, in his season.”
During his last sickness he showed much patience and never murmured, but with a child-like faith in those who ministered to him, he took his medicine and accepted all their ministrations as being for his good.
Mr. McClanahan was a familiar and well known figure on our streets, and he had many warm friends in Palacios who will sadly miss his jovial company, cheerful disposition, and kindly greeting. His was a beautiful Christian character and he enjoyed reading his Bible and communing with his Savior, and he very often told his pastor and other friends of the delight he experienced in these daily communions.
On account of being afflicted with deafness he was sorely handicapped in the enjoyment of the services of his church, but he was often seen in his pew at the Presbyterian Church, of which he was a faithful member. He loved the Sunday school, and when his health permitted he was usually seen in class, though he could not take active part in the lessons.
Those of his friends who knew him so well and appreciated his fine traits of character, desire to express to Mr. and Mrs. Berger and the other children our heartfelt sympathy in their bereavement, and we feel that we too have sustained the loss of a true and sympathetic friend, whom we will miss from our midst.
The funeral was held at the home Friday afternoon at five o’clock, conducted by Rev. G. F. Gillespie. Many friends showed their sympathy by their presence and by many beautiful gifts of flowers.
“Now the laborer’s task is o’er;
Card of Thanks
We wish to express our sincere and heartfelt thanks for all the thoughtfulness and kindness of the many friends during the time of the last illness and death of our father.
J. A. McClanahan
The Palacios Beacon, April 23, 1925, page 2 Palacios Cemetery
CHARLES HENRY McCLANAHAN
Charles Henry McClanahan was born to Dr. John Alexander and Susan Caroline Clark McClanahan on July 29, 1843 at Bowling Green, Fayette County, Il. His siblings included: James Wright (1825); Wright Clark (1827); Catherine Elizabeth (1832); Harriet Isabelle (1835); Thomas Marshall (1837); Susan Caroline (1842); David Hodge (1845); Alice (1847); John Franklin (1849); and Margaret Mildred (1851). Half siblings: Sarah (1854); Edward (1857); Alexander (1858); and Edmund (1860).
Susan died in 1851 and Dr. McClanahan married Ellen Jeffries in 1853. Dr. McClanahan died June 9, 1862 in Bowling Green.
On May 31, 1862 Charles and his younger brother David enlisted as Privates in Company D, 68th Illinois Infantry Regiment for one year. They were mustered out as Privates on September 26, 1862 at Camp Butler, Springfield, IL.
The 68th Illinois Infantry was enlisted in response to a call made in the early summer of 1862 by the Governor for some state troops to serve for the period of three months as State Militia. The muster of the regiment was effected in early June.
Shortly after the regiment was organized a petition was circulated and very generally signed by both officers and men, asking that the terms of enlistment be changed from that of State Militia to Illinois Volunteers, and that the Regiment be sent into the field. In accordance with the petition the Regiment was mustered into the United States service at Camp Butler, Springfield, Il, and on 5 July received their marching orders. Moving by train they were assigned provost duties in the Alexandria and Washington, D.C. areas.
The 68th Regiment, though in the service only a short time, had some companies that were thoroughly drilled in the manual of arms, and in company and battalion movements. The skirmish companies of the Regiment, “F” and “G” were especially proficient in the school of the soldier and in skirmish and Zouave drill.
Though the men of the 68th were never under fire, they did the duty assigned them with alacrity. It was theirs to care for the wounded as they were sent into Alexandria from the disastrous field at Bull Run.
On September 17th the Regiment was ordered to report back to Camp Butler to be mustered out. The men were mustered out on the 26th and received their pay October 1st.
Around 1865 or 66 Charles married Miss Saluda Florence “Pinky” Evans at LeCompton, Douglas County, Kansas. To this union seven children were born: Gertrude Evans (1867); James Alexander (1872); Charles Henry Jr. (1873); Thomas W. (1876); Clarence Marshall (1878); Jefferson Lewis (1886) and Gilbert Marion (1892).
The family remained at Lecompton until 1909 when they moved to Texas. Charles, Florence and Marion along with Gertrude who had married Fred G. Berger and their four children, made the move and settled at Palacios, Matagorda County, Texas.
Florence died June 12, 1914 and was buried at the Palacios Cemetery. After her death Charles sold the home place and moved in with Gertrude and her family. They cared for him until his death on April 16, 1925. He was buried at the Palacios Cemetery next to Florence.
Mrs. Charles McClanahan
Mrs. Charles McClanahan was born in Richmond, Virginia, Sept. 24, 1854, and passed away at her home in Palacios, Texas, June 13, 1914.
When about two years of age she was brought by her parents from Richmond, Virginia to Lecompton, Kansas. On August 17, 1871, she married Mr. McClanahan. To this union was born six sons and one daughter. One son died in infancy; one lived to maturity, but died in Seattle, Washington about four years ago; two sons live in South Dakota, one in Kansas and one in Southern Texas. The daughter, Mrs. Fred Berger, lives in Palacios, and was with and cared for her mother during her last illness.
Mrs. McClanahan was converted when about 16 years of age and united with the U. B. Church. Since coming to Palacios she united with the Presbyterian church and when ever her health permitted was found in her place doing her duty as her Father made it known to her. She helped to organize the W. C. T. U. at this place and her presence and work was an inspiration and a help to the entire membership.
She made a brave fight for life, for she wanted to live for her husband, until disease became so firmly fastened upon her and then she said, “Others can do better for him than I. I want to go and be at rest.”
She was buried from the Presbyterian church Saturday afternoon. The text used and music rendered were her selections.
The floral offerings from friends and the decorations of the church for the funeral were profuse and very beautiful.
It can be well _____ her that,
“The pains of death are passed:
“Servant of God, ‘Well Done.’
Members of the family from a distance who were here to attend the funeral of Mrs. C. H. McClanahan were her sister, Mrs. G. M. Hoad, of LeCompton, Kansas, who arrived Thursday of last week; and the three sons of Mr. and Mrs. McClanahan—C. M. McClanahan, of LeCompton, Kansas; J. A. McClanahan and son, of Belle Fourche, S. Dak., and Marion McClanahan, of Pierce, Texas.
Palacios Beacon, June 19, 1914
Samuel was born on May 28, 1842 at Flemington, Hunterdon County, New Jersey. His parents were Joseph and Catherine (Carkhuff ?) Melbourn. According to the 1850 Federal census he had one brother, George and three sisters, Nancy, Margaret and Sarah. According to the 1860 Federal census, Samuel, now age 19, and his 12 year old sister Sarah had moved in with the William B. Kirhl family at Raritan.
With the Civil War in progress, he enlisted as a Private on 27 April 1861for three months with Company H, 3rd Regiment, New Jersey Volunteer Infantry at Flemington, Hunterdon County, New Jersey as a teamster. He was discharged as a Private at Trenton, New Jersey on 31 July 1861.
The 3rd New Jersey Volunteer Infantry served in the Army of the Potomac. It was recruited and mustered into Federal service in May 1861, and was brigaded with the 1st New Jersey Volunteer Infantry, the 2nd New Jersey Volunteer Infantry, and the 4th New Jersey Volunteer Infantry to make up the famed “First New Jersey Brigade”. The regiment and brigade served as the 1st Brigade of the 1st Division of the VI Corps, and participated in numerous battles from the June 27, 1862 Battle of Gaines Mill, Virginia to the final assaults on Confederate positions at Petersburg, Virginia in April 1865. The remnants of the 3rd New Jersey volunteers were mustered out in June 1865.
After being Honorably Discharged, he continued to serve the Union as a civilian teamster working in and around Washington DC until the end of the war. During that time he also served a short stint as a train engineer for the government. Near the end of the war he drove a team from Washington, DC to Springfield, Illinois, where his civilian government employment was then terminated.
Little is known of Samuel after the Civil War. He lived until 1869 at Springfield, Illinois, then later lived at Calvert, Robertson County, Texas. From there he moved to Temple, Bell County, Texas where he was married to Ladosia McMillian who hailed from Arkansas, on August 7, 1878. It is unknown when Ladosia was born, but she died on February 11, 1889, presumably in Bell County.
Samuel and Ladosia shared in the love of four children: Pearl Sue, (Oct 2, 1881 - Nov 9, 1949), married a Wyman, William Casey, (Dec 31, 1882 – 6 Dec 1953), Joseph Hillery (Cowboy Joe), (June 15, 1884 – Aug 1, 1965) and Maude (Dec 22, 1886 - ), married 1) an Allen, 2) a Harris.
The historical record closes until 1910, at which time Samuel applied for a Union military pension at Blessing, Matagorda County, Texas. Samuel died at the home of his son Joseph, at Midfields, Matagorda County, Texas on May 31, 1920 and was buried at Hawley Cemetery, Blessing, Texas.
No obituary could be located for Mr. Melbourn.
Prominent Mason Died This Morning Suddenly.
Mr. J. W. Miller, aged about 74 years, died at his home in this city this morning at 6 o’clock of heart trouble. Yesterday he was in the city transacting business as usual and greeting his friends in his customary jovial manner. His sudden demise, therefore, came as a surprise and a shock to his many friends.
The body has been prepared for burial and is now resting at the home, awaiting the arrival of children before the final funeral arrangements are made.
Decedent was a very prominent Mason and by his work, largely, the local Masonic order was built up to one of the strongest in the state. He was Eminent Commander of the Knights Templar, Past High Priest Bay City Chapter, Royal Arch Mason, and a member of the Arabic Temple, Mystic Shrine, Houston.
Mr. Miller was a man of modest mien and temperament kind-hearted, genteel and jovial in nature. Everybody was his friend and he was everybody’s friend.
The funeral will be held under the auspices of the Masonic Lodge.
Later. As we go to press we are informed that the hour set for this funeral is 3:30 tomorrow afternoon, at Cedarvale Cemetery.
Daily Tribune, Wednesday, November 2, 1921
Mrs. J. W. Miller
Mrs. J. W. Miller passed away at her home in San Antonio Friday morning, Nov. 23, 1928. Her remains will arrive this afternoon at 4:35 and will be carried to the Episcopal church, of which she has been a member for many years.
The funeral service will be held Sunday morning, 9:15 o’clock, after which she will be laid to rest by the side of her faithful husband who preceded her in death just six years ago this month.
Mr. and Mrs. Miller were citizens of Bay City for many years and leave a host of friends who join the Tribune in extending sympathy to the loved ones.
Matagorda County Tribune, November 20, 1928
SCHUYLER BENJAMIN “BEN” NICHOLS
Ben Nichols was born to Eaton Charles and Phoebe DeVoe Nichols* near Elmira, New York on February 5, 1846. His two known siblings according to the 1850 Federal census were: Lyman and Matilda Jane.
On August 24, 1863 he enlisted as a Private in Company B, 1st New York Veteran Cavalry Regiment at Elmira, New York . Hr was mustered out of Company B on July 20, 1865 at Camp Piatt, West Virginia.
Ben originally enlisted in the 17th New York Cavalry Regiment; the unit never fully organized and the men enlisted so far, two companies, were transferred to the 1st New York Veteran Cavalry Regiment on September 17, 1863.
The 1st New York Veteran Cavalry Regiment had several nicknames: “The Lincoln Cavalry”; “The Carbine Rangers”; and the “The Sabre Regiment”. The Regiment participated in many battles and skirmishes in Virginia, West Virginia, Pennsylvania and Maryland and was mustered out of service June 27, 1865.
During its service the Regiment lost by death: killed in action - 3 officer & 22 enlisted men; died of wounds received in action - 2 officers &21 enlisted men; died of disease and other causes - 2 officers & 118 enlisted men; total: 7 officers, and 161 enlisted men; aggregate, 168; of whom 44 enlisted men died in the hands of the enemy.
In January 1876 in Kansas he married Ora Mae Brown who was born February 15, 1859 in Wisconsin**. In the 1880 Federal census Ben (34 yo) and Ora (22 yo) are living in Parson, Labette County, Kansas.
As of the 1900 Caddo Parish, Louisiana Federal census they had been married 24 years and had no children. They did adopt a daughter, Florence who was born in February 1858 in Michigan.
Ora Mae died on March 7, 1925 at Palacios, Matagorda County, Texas and was buried at the Palacios Cemetery. Ben, who was a retired locomotive engineer for M K & T Railroad, died on September 16, 1925 at Palacios, and was buried beside Ora Mae at the Palacios Cemetery. Over the years, the location of both Ora’s and Jim’s unmarked graves at the Palacios Cemetery, have been lost. A memorial Union marker has been ordered for Mr. Nichols and will be placed in Section 1 of the cemetery.
*Note: Death certificate gives Mother’s name as Matilda Roe. His sister’s name was Matilda and she married Joseph Miller Roe on December 3, 1879.
** Note: Death certificate gives Michigan.
No obituary could be located for Mr. Nichols.
Obituary Mrs. Ben Nichols [Ora Mae Brown Nichols]
The friends of Mrs. Ben Nichols were shocked by the news of her death at 2:30 p. m. Saturday, after a few hours of intense suffering from acute digestion.
The funeral service, conducted by Rev. H. G. Fraser was held a t the home Sunday afternoon at 2:30, after singing “Have Thine Own Way Lord,” by a mixed quartet, prayer and Scripture reading, 1 Cor. 15:12-20, 2 Cor. 5:1-9, very comforting words were spoken to the bereaved husband and friends, having for a text the words in the last clause of John 16:20. After singing “Jesus Lover of My Soul” the dear body was tenderly laid to rest in the Palacios cemetery.
Ora Mae Brown was born in Wisconsin, February 15, 1859, after which her parents moved to Kansas, where she grew up to womanhood and in January 1876 married Benjamin Nichols, a pioneer M. K. & T. railroad engineer. Through all the years which lack only a few months of being fifty, the _____ always a beautiful, cheerful welcome at the end of the run. “None knew her but to love her, none named her but to praise.” We who loved her here know so little of the details of her faithful life as wife and mother to the one devoted daughter, that we can only picture in our minds from the reminiscence she sometimes indulged the many thoughtful kindnesses with which her days were filled. Superlatives are often not good taste, but we who knew her can only give expression in such terms. The most unselfish, most thoughtful, most loyal, most devoted, most Christian neighbor and friend.
And when the King shall say unto those on his right hand, “Come ye blessed of my father inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world. For I was an hungered and ye gave me meat; I was thirsty and ye gave me drink; I was a stranger and ye took me in; I was sick and ye visited me; naked and ye clothed me; I was in prison and ye came unto me. Then shall the righteous answer him saying, Lord when saw we thee and hungered and fed thee or thirsty and gave thee drink? When saw we thee a stranger and took thee in or naked and clothed thee? And the king shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, inasmuch as ye have done it unto the least of these my brethren ye have done it unto me.”
She will be with that bright robed throng because her christianity was expressed in that quiet way. So unconscious of the kindness that he was surprised by the recognition of it.
“Love thy neighbor as thy self,” was her natural attitude toward life.
M. H. E.
Palacios Beacon, March 12, 1921
Henry Hardy Sisson was born to John Wesley and Martha Jane Eaton Sisson on January 12, 1846 at Jersey County, Illinois. His known siblings were Sarah S., John F., Louisa M., Hanah, Eliza, and Susanah.
On February 13, 1864, with the Civil War in its fourth year, Henry joined Company C, 124th Illinois Infantry Regiment at Otter Creek, Jersey County, Il. He was mustered out of this unit and transferred to Company C, 33rd Illinois Infantry Regiment on August 16, 1865.
The 124th, nicknamed the “Excelsior Regiment” was mustered in at Henry County, Il. Company C – the “Springfield Company” was mustered in from Jersey County. Throughout its service the Regiment was involved in battles and skirmishes at: Operations against Vicksburg, MS; the Central Mississippi Campaign; Battle of Port Gibson, MS; Battle of Raymond, MS; Battle of Jackson, MS; Battle of Champion Hill, MS; Siege of Vicksburg, MS; the Mobile, AL Campaign; Battle of Spanish Fort, AL; and the Battle of Fort Blakely, AL.
The 33rd was involved in many of the same battles as the 124th. A unique part of their Regimental history involved Texas. In November 1863 the Regiment was ordered to Brownsville, Texas, but, before landing, was ordered to Aransas Pass. The Regiment disembarked on St. Joseph Island, marched up St. Joseph Island and Matagorda Island to Saluria, participating in the capture of Fort Esperanza. They then moved to Indianola and Port Lavaca.*
In 1867 he married Clara E. Robinson, the location of their marriage is unknown, but is presumed to be Logan County, Il. Of this union there were three children: Frank Augustus (1868); Robert Jay (1882) and Pauline (1884-1888). They also had one adopted daughter Fanny.
The family lived in Logan County, IL for about 16 years, then in 1885 moved to Thayer County, NE where they developed a large farm. As Henry and Clara became older they turned the farm over to their son Frank and moved into Hebron, the county seat. Henry served nine years as a county commissioner of Thayer County. It was here, c 1910 Clara died. It is unknown where she was buried. After Clara’s death, and with declining health, Henry moved to Palacios, Matagorda County, Texas where he took-up residence with one of his sons. Frank and Robert (who had married Edna Hensel** while at Hebron) were living at Palacios at the time. Henry died on December 25, 1915 and was buried at the Palacios Cemetery.
*See Principle Musician & Drum Major Charles C. Myers
**Note: Edna Hensel was the daughter of Frederick C. Hensel. The Hensels and the Sissons lived at Hebron, Thayer County, Nebraska before moving to Palacios. See Frederick C. Hensel.
Photo courtesy of Kenneth L. Thames
Mr. H. H. Sisson died at his home at 2 o'clock Saturday morning, the 25th inst., at the age of 69 years, 11 months and 13 days. Funeral services were held at the family residence on Moore avenue Wednesday morning at 10 o'clock, conducted by Rev. W. L. Shepherd, pastor of the Presbyterian church, followed by interment at the city cemetery. The services were attended by a large concourse of the neighbors and friends of the deceased and his family. Resident members of the Knights of Pythias, a fraternity of which Mr. Sisson was a member, but of which there is no lodge in the city, marched as an escort to the cemetery, and after the benediction by the minister, marched around the grave and deposited therein sprigs of evergreen, the Pythian significance of which is that the memory or the departed will be kept ever green in the hearts and minds of the brethren. The body was laid to rest in a water proof brick and concrete vault.
The whole service was most impressive, and the floral offerings from friends an associates of the family were numerous and most beautiful. Three of the floral designs came from Houston; one from Mr. and Mrs. J. E. Regan, one from Dissen & Schneider, wholesale produce merchants and one from W. D. Cleveland & Son, wholesale grocers.
At the home during the service and at the cemetery Miss Nora Hayes and Mrs. O. C. Arnold sang appropriate hymns with feeling expression.
Mr. Sisson came to Palacios nearly five years ago on the advice of his Nebraska physicians who told him that nothing but a change of climate would prolong his life beyond a few months. The change added to his days a number of years; years that gave him a large measure of happiness and comfort. His genial nature and happy disposition made for Mr. Sisson friends of all with whom he came in contact, and he was held in highest esteem by all who knew him. In their loss the families have the sincere sympathy of all the people of the city.
A good citizen has gone from among us. To say of a man that he was a good citizen is saying much. H. H. Sisson was a good citizen. In a world where kindness is the supreme need, he was kind. In a world where integrity is not so common, but that it distinguishes a man, he was distinguished.
He held a place of honor in the community in which he lived for his kindness, his integrity, his dependableness and his generous civic spirit. He had faith in men, therefore, men had faith in him and were drawn to him in friendship. A public spirited man, always he worked for and encouraged that which made for civic beauty and civic good. Notwithstanding the fact that man has compared himself as an individual to a grain of sand on the seashore, and his life to a bubble on the fountain, when such a man goes he is missed and his place not easily filled.
It might be said of Mr. Sisson that he had a genius for home making. He loved shrubs, trees, orchards, groves, the birds that nest and sing in them, and all the beautiful out doors. His love for birds and tress was almost a passion.
"How few have time for hearing
Above the clatter of their cares
The thrush's song so cheering!"
He had time for hearing. He loved to plant, nurture and watch a tree grow.
"What does he plant who plants a tree?"
He plants shade and shelter, comfort, foot it may be, and beauty and grace for those that come after. He saw all this in a tree and his love for it never grew less. This love of the tree was part of his genius for home making, with the help of Mrs. Clare Sisson whom he married in early manhood as Miss Clare Robinson whose immaculate housekeeping supplemented his work on the outside, adding the grace that woman's hand alone can give to the ideal home--it may be said that they made three homes. Their first home was made in Logan County, Illinois, near Lincoln, the county seat. Here on 240 acres of the finest farming land in the world, they planted shrubs, trees, orchard and grove, all of which flourished, making the beautiful setting that every home needs. It was here they passed their honeymoon, gathering about them a host of friends, and doing a generous part in dispensing the gaieties and good cheer of a prosperous farm home, where cream and butter, fruits and vegetables and meats seem so free and abundant as the water pumped from the wells by the windmill. This home was consecrated by the birth of their three children, two sons, F. A. and R. J. Sisson, now living in Palacios, and a daughter, Pauline, and also by the adoption of a daughter when a child whom they loved and roared as their own, and who is now Mrs. W. H. Wood, of Hebron, Nebraska. After sixteen years of life here, Mr. and Mrs. Sisson, on a visit to the west, fell in love with the rolling prairies of Nebraska, and seeing opportunities there that Illinois no longer afforded, in 1885 they moved to Thayer county, that state, and on a section of as fine farming land as is to be found anywhere, covered with grass and not a stump to uproot, they began the planting and building for another home. First the shade trees, orchard and grove and then a commodious farm house, that was long known far and near as a center of hospitality. Good dinners, good suppers, Christmas turkeys, Thanksgiving feasts and fun at this home made life a pleasure to many less fortunate pioneers, while friendships never to be broken off, were formed among their neighbors. It was while living in this house that their lives were saddened by the death of their lovely little daughter Pauline, at the age of four years.
As time passed and they found themselves less vigorous, they left their eldest son F. A. Sisson on the farm and moved to Hebron, the county seat of Thayer county, but were not among strangers as they had already made many friends there.
While in Hebron Mr. Sisson served three terms as county commissioner, making nine years in all. While he was in office the Thayer county court house, one of the finest in the state was built and the grounds around it beautified, the work giving entire satisfaction. Many bridges over streams and troublesome draws were also built and the work commended by the taxpayers as being carefully and economically done. As showing in what estimation Mr. Sisson was held as a man, we quote a portion of a letter from J. P. Baldwin, lawyer, and at one time county attorney of Thayer county, written Dec. 8, 1915 to Mr. Fletcher while visiting in Palacios. Mr. Baldwin says: "I am exceedingly sorry to her of the bad health of H. H. Sisson. I served with him at the court house for such a long time, that I am certainly grieved for his bad luck. I have known lots of public officials, and been associated with a great many of them and but few have I found as honest, clear headed and upright in all their dealings both public and private as Harry Sisson. I wish that he might recover his health and live to a ripe old age."
After a residence in Hebron of 15 years where he had endeared himself to the community by his manifestation of true civic pride, failing health caused Mr. Sisson to seek a home in the south. His friends regretted his departure and said and did what they could to keep him among them. But after visiting Palacios, Texas, so beautifully situated on Tres Palacios Bay and finding people eating strawberries and gathering roses at Christmas time and sitting on their porches taking sunbaths with deep breaths of fresh air while the people of Nebraska were contending with ice and snow, he was charmed into moving his family here where he built one of the beautiful homes of the city, making a rose garden of his lawn. Before his departure his friends would have given him a banquet, where speeches would have been made and a "God Speed!" spoken, but Mr. Sisson was not equal to the ordeal, and the silver "loving cup" that was to be presented at the close of the banquet was given to him quietly as a memento of their regard.
H. H. Sisson was a civil war veteran, enlisting in Company C, of the 124th regiment in 1863, at the early age of 18 years, and serving till the close of the war in 1865. His judgment was never so clouded by prejudice as not to admit that the "boys in gray" fought nobly, fully equaling the "boys in blue" in skill and courage.
Mr. Sisson's two sons F. A. and R. J., already mentioned, whose homes are in Palacios, were in close attendance at his bedside during his last illness, giving him every care and attention. The adopted daughter, Mrs. W. H. Wood, arrived from Hebron, Neb., Tuesday evening to attend the funeral.
Beacon, December 31, 1915
Joseph William Spencer was born to David G. And Margaret Ferrell Spencer on April 28, 1843 at Sullivan Township, Ashland County, Ohio. Only two of his siblings have been identified: his older sister Mary Ellen and his younger brother, Charles Ferrell.
With the Civil War ongoing he enlisted in Company H, Ohio 42nd Infantry Regiment at Camp Chase, Columbus, Ohio on November 27, 1861.
The 42nd Ohio Infantry was organized at Camp Chase in Columbus, Ohio September through November 1861 and mustered in for three years service on December 7, 1861 under the command of Colonel James Abram Garfield who would later become the 20th President of the United States.
First moving by railroad and then by steamer up the Ohio River, the regiment arrived at Catlettsburg, KY on December 17th. The first blood was shed at Middle Creek, KY, then the regiment engaged in several expeditions against guerrillas. Other notable battles that were participated in included: Battle of Tazewell KY, Battle of Chickasaw Bayou MS, Battle of Arkansas Post AR, Battle of Port Gibson MS, Battle of Champion Hill also known as the “Hill of Death” MS, Battle of Big Black River Bridge MS, Vicksburg MS (siege & assaults), Siege of Jackson MS and the Red River Campaign.
After his discharge he returned to Sullivan where he took work as a farmer with his father. On May 11, 1871 he married Elnora “Nora” Jane Bolles also of Ashland County who was born in October 1847. No children have been identified, though they were the guardians for a Mildred Hawes who later married a Elmer Johnson who was a hired hand of the Spencers. Mildred and Elmer cared for Joseph in his later years at Palacios.
The family remained at Ashland County through 1880 at which time they went to Kansas taking up a homestead with other Ohio families in Wabaunsee County. They made Kansas their home until 1908.
The record is unclear as to whether Nora accompanied Joseph to Texas in 1908/09 or not. It is known she returned to Ashland County, Ohio where she died on October 14, 1909 at the age of about 62 years.
Joseph purchased property on the Tres-Palacios River in 1908/09 and established his new home. He died on April 8, 1932 at the age of 88 years at Palacios, Matagorda County, Texas and was buried in the Palacios Cemetery.
Note: No reference is made in his obituary about his military service.
Joseph W. Spencer passed to his eternal reward at his home near Palacios, Texas, on April 8th, 1932. Funeral services were held in the Palacios Methodist Church Saturday, April 9th, at 3:00 p.m., with Rev. R. Paine, conducting the service, assisted by other pastors of the city. Interment was made in the Palacios Cemetery after a Masonic service at the grave.
J. W. Spencer was born in Sullivan, Ohio, May 28, 1843. He was married to Elnora J. Bolles on May 11, 1871. They went to Kansas in 1880, taking up a homestead along with other Ohio families and made that state their home until 1908, when they came to Texas and purchased property on Tres-Palacios river to make their future home. Mrs. Spencer preceded her husband in death in October, 1909.
Palacios Beacon, April 21, 1932
John Viniard was born to Greenberry Washington and Mary Polly Ingram Viniard on March 25, 1843 in Blount County, Tennessee. It is unknown how many siblings he had.
On January 25, 1860 he married Mary Elizabeth Cupp in Blount County, she would be his war bride. Of this union there were 7 children born over the years: Andrew Filander, Charles D., Lauri Ellen, Serena, Henry Clay, James C. and John Franklin.
After the Civil War began John joined the Union Army at Maryville, TN and was mustered into Company D, 2nd Tennessee Cavalry on September 1, 1862. At the same time and place a Samuel A. Vinyard also mustered into the same unit. It is unknown what the relationship was between Samuel and John; their physical descriptions as given in their service records are identical, Samuel was 19 and John was 22. Samuel died while in camp near Murfreesboro, TN on February 20, 1863.
The 2nd Tennessee Cavalry Regiment was organized at Cumberland Gap in the months of August and September 1862, and was composed of loyal citizens of Knox, Blount, Sevier and surrounding counties, numbering in the aggregate about 1,175 men.
The regiment arrived in time to participate in the battle of Stone’s River, where it lost several officers and men. From that time until June 23, 1863, with the remainder of the Federal cavalry under Gen. Stanley, it was employed on the front and flanks of Rosecran’s army, doing severe duty**. At the latter date it moved with the army from Murfreesboro to Tullahoma and pursued Bragg across the Cumberland Mountains. From this time until the end of the war the regiment was involved in many skirmishes and battles in Tennessee, Alabama and Mississippi. In the pursuit of Hood’s retreating army from Nashville the command to which the regiment was attached marched 280 miles in 7 days and nights of unusually severe weather, and during that time were engaged in six different actions, capturing a large number of prisoners and material of every kind.
It is unknown if Mary Elizabeth died, or if there was a divorce. Their last child, James died at birth in 1877. All of the children were young enough they would have required a mother to care for them.
John remarried in 1894 to Rachel Lee who was born in 1863 at Nashville, TN. Of this union there were 6 children: Melinda Jane, Sarah, Brittana, Nellie Mae and Jonnie Gladys. In the 1900 Federal census John, Rachel and the first four girls are living in Choctaw, Oklahoma County, OK. The family is next found at Ogle, Quay County, New Mexico where Gladys is born in 1907.
It may only be speculated, for no reason is known why John and his girls moved to Matagorda County, but most likely they came because of the land development that was occurring at Collegeport and other areas in the county.
John died on September 18, 1917 at Palacios, Matagorda County, Texas at the age of 74, and was buried at the Palacios Cemetery. Rachel and Jonnie Gladys remained in Palacios where Gladys married a Mr. Griest who died shortly after their marriage. Rachel died on July 14, 1935 at the age of 71 and was buried next to John at the Palacios Cemetery.
*Note: The name Viniard as spelled on John and Rachel’s grave markers was also found spelled as: Vineyard, Vinyard.
** Samuel Vineyard most likely was killed or mortally wounded during this battle.
obituary could be
located for Mr. Viniard.
Photo courtesy of Kenneth L. Thames
Wilson Silas York was born on December 21, 1843 near Waynesville, Pulaski County, Missouri to Andrew York, a farmer who was born in Tennessee, and Ellen “Nelly” Evans York, who hailed from Missouri.
As best as can be ascertained, he had nine brothers and sisters: Henry J. (1836); Louisa J. (1838); William E. (1839); Lucinda E. (1841); Christopher C. (1846); Sarah “Sally” Ann (1849); John (1851); Harriet (1853); and Ann Elizabeth “Eliza”(1856).
In the 1850 Pulaski County, MO Federal census his name is entered as Wilson S. York.
With the outbreak of the Civil War in 1861, many Missourians were forced to choose sides, especially when the state’s neutrality came under test when pro-secessionist forces began organizing, and fighting between Unionists and secessionists became imminent. The total number of men who served on the side of the Union was approximately 110,000 and 90,000 on the side of the Confederacy, the total number will never be known for sure.
Wilson S. York and his older brother Henry J. York enlisted as Privates in Company G, 10th Regiment, Missouri Infantry (CSA), most likely in Oregon County, MO on August 6, 1862. At the time of their enlistment it was called Moore’s 10th Regiment Infantry Volunteers.
On December 15, 1862 he was listed as a deserter. According to an account he gave to his Union captors - under the name Silas W. York - the following occurred: “21 years old live 10 miles from Waynesville Pulanski Co Mo. have been in Rebel Army McBride’s Regt. Co was not organized while I was in Regt Was left sick in hospital at Pocahontas Arkansas [Randolph Co., AR is across the state line from Oregon Co., MO] & Federals came in & took me prisoner.”Sic
He further states: “Took the oath of Allegiance [as Silas W. York] Nov 1862 there and got a pass to go home never broke the oath since” [sic]
After taking the oath of allegiance he was mustered in as a Private in the Union’s Missouri 40th Infantry Regiment [most likely not willingly]. It was from this unit he received a pass to go home. He was later arrested as a deserter from his unit and was jailed at the Myrtle Street Military Prison at Waynesville, MO. From there, on August 31, 1864, he was transferred under guard to Schofield Barracks* for transportation to his command for courts-martial. During this transfer his record suddenly stops. There is no indication he ever made it to Schofield Barracks - or back to his unit. It is unknown what transpired after he left the Myrtle Street Military Prison.
The record resumes on Silas W. York** at Pilot Point, Denton County, Texas, which is located just North of Dallas-Fort Worth.
On November 17, 1868 he married Miss Catherine Holland at Pilot Point, Texas. Catherine was born September 29, 1851 on the Mississippi River as it flowed along the Illinois & Missouri state lines; her parents, Charles and Lela Henderson Holland, were moving from St. Joseph, MO to Texas on the river.
In the 1870 Federal census Silas, working as a farmer, and Catherine have a son named Christopher who is 1/12 years old. Using the Federal censuses, we next find the little family living at Brown County [county seat Brownwood] in 1880; the children are listed as Columbus [Christopher], M.A. [daughter], and twins, Lila and Rosia. Their post office is listed as Byrd’s Store. In the 1900 Federal census the family has relocated to Haskell, Haskell County, Texas which is North of Abilene. The family has grown in the 20 years since the 1880 census. Lila and Rosia, now 24 years old are still living at home, a son, named Pammy, age 19 is listed, also sons Elbert age 16 and Ferman age 12 are listed along with baby sister Viola age 9. In 1910 we find the family now living at Knox County, Texas, adjacent to and North of Haskell County. Lilly [Lila], now 34, has married and is listed as a widow living in the household along with her brother Burt [Elbert] who is 26. Silas is listed as 66 years old and Catherine is 58.
It is unknown what motivated Silas and Catherine to again move, but possibly because some of their children were living at Palacios, Matagorda County, Texas, and their advancing old age, they relocate to Palacios. They are listed in the 1920 Federal census with widowed daughter Lillie, and son-in-law William E. Hillar, a widower, along with his 10 year old daughter, Evyline living in the household with them.
Catherine died on November 22, 1923 and following a funeral service at the home place, was buried at the Palacios Cemetery.
Sixteen days after Catherine’s death, Silas died on December 8, 1923. After having his funeral service at the home place, he was buried beside Catherine at the Palacios Cemetery.***
Listed as survivors in their obituaries are three sons and four daughters out of the 10 children that were born to them: Mrs. Alice Tucker and W. E.[?] York were living in Oklahoma; Mrs. Viola Franklin, in Guthrie, Texas; P. E.[Pammy] York in Lamesa, Texas; and Mrs. Lillie Hurgis, Mrs. Rosa Keller and F. F.[Fermen] York were residing in Palacios.
It seems ironic that this sentence was included in Silas’s obituary: “We have all reason to believe that he with his devoted christian(sic) wife have answered the last roll call and are at peace with the many soldiers who have gone before.”
*Note: Alexander Barracks (Union) was located in the city of St. Louis, MO and was renamed Schofield Barracks near the end of the war in honor of Union General John M. Schofield. Schofield Barracks Hawaii, established in 1908, was also named in his honor.
**Note: Wilson S. York, after changing his name following his capture by Union forces, never reverted back to his original given name.
***Note: The graves of both Catherine and
Silas are in Section 1; her grave is unmarked, his grave is
marked with a small gray granite block marker.
Mrs. Catherine York was born on the Mississippi river, on Sept. 29, 1851, while her parents were moving from St. Joe, Mo., to Texas, and after several years of affliction she peacefully closed her eyes in death on Nov. 28, 1923.
Miss Catherine Holland was united in marriage to Mr. S. W. York on the 17th of November, 1868, at Pilot Point, Texas. To this union were born ten children, six sons, and four daughters. Two sons died in infancy and one at the age of 23 years. Sister York is survived by her aged husband, three sons and four daughters; Mrs. Alice Tucker and W. E. York are in Oklahoma, Mrs. Viola Franklin, in Guthrie, Texas; P. E. York, in Lomesa, Tex.; Mrs. Lillie Hurgis, Mrs. Rosa Keller and F. F. York are here in Palacios.
In very early life she obeyed the Gospel and has ever since lived a devoted christian life, a member of the Church of Christ. She was a devoted wife and loving mother, her life being given in faithful service to her family and her God.
After funeral services at the home Saturday morning conducted by Bro. Connor the remains were conveyed to the city cemetery and tenderly laid to rest. We join the many friends in extending condolence and sympathy to the bereaved family.
Palacios Beacon, November 29, 1923
S. W. York Dead.
Silas Wilson York, son of Mr. and Mrs. Andrew York was born in Missouri, December 21, 1843, died at his home in Palacios, Texas, December 8, 1923, aged 79 years, 11 months, 17 days.
At about the age of 22 years he came to Texas, where he has resided for nearly 60 years, and where he met and married Miss Catherine Holland, November 17, 1868, who passed away only 16 days before her companion. To this union 10 children were born, two dying in infancy, another at the age of 23 years. Of the remaining seven, two live in the northern part of the state, two in Oklahoma and three at the home in this city.
Brother York obeyed the gospel after his marriage, not long after he came out of the war, and has ever lived a consistent christian life. He had been afflicted for a great while and has had many trials, but in all he was ever cheerful and hopeful. We have all reason to believe that he with his devoted christian wife have answered the last roll call and are at peace with the many soldiers who have gone before.
Funeral services were held at the home Sunday afternoon, conducted by Bro. Connor, after which the remains were conveyed to the city cemetery and tenderly laid to rest.
Palacios Beacon, December 14, 1923
Photo courtesy of Kenneth L. Thames
Copyright 2008 -
Present by Carol Sue Gibbs
Jun. 24, 2008
Aug. 15, 2012