Search billions of records on

Settlement Information

aka Berean Community

Vann Settlement For Kids

Berean Cemetery

Edison Cemetery #1

Edison Cemetery #3

First Berean Missionary Baptist Church

Gatson Cemetery

Green Family Cemetery

Powell Cemetery

Richardson Cemetery

King Vann Estate Cemetery

1894 Vann School Census

1895 Van School Census

By Mary B. Ingram

The Vann Settlement, also known as the King Vann African Settlement, was situated on Buckner’s Prairie in William Rabb League #46.  Activities in the settlement centered around the school and church.  The Berean Baptist Church was organized by members of the Shiloh Baptist Church of Cedar Lane, and the group first met in the Vann Settlement schoolhouse.

Harriet Spencer “went to the school at the Vann Settlement school which was situated about a block behind her present home which is directly behind the Berean church.  The school property was given to the settlement by her grandfather, [Ransom] Edison.”

In 1894-1895 Matagorda County school census lists the following families as having children of school age attending the Vann school:  Scott Glascow, William Green, Sam Norris, Catherine Stanford, Watt Eddison, Joe Sorrell, Rose Gatson, King Vann, Ransom Eddison, Sr., Jack Eddison, Hester Washington, and Charles Gatson.


Copyright 2006 - Present by Carol Sue Gibbs
All rights reserved

Jan. 15, 2006
Sep. 3, 2013