Shop in Matagorda County Stores Located in Historic Buildings
 

Palacios
 




Old Main Bookstore
438 Main Street          361-972-1438
HOURS: Tue-Sat 10:30am-5:30pm
Book, Gift and Coffee Shop

The Old Main Bookstore is located in the former Petersons's Restaurant building. The P in the brick work at the left identified it as Peterson's. Palacios residents and visitors enjoyed the delicious seafood served here for decades. The brick P on the building drew the attention of the Pierce family who are now owners and operators of the bookstore.
 




Oh My!
501 Main Street           956-453-6651        
HOURS:  Fri-Sat 10am-5pm   Sun 11am-3pm

Tropical Home Furnishings, Jewelry, Glassware, Art, Collectibles and Souvenirs

The building in which Oh My! is now located first served as Citizens State Bank with the Coast Telephone Company operating upstairs. The telephone company manager lived in rooms on the second floor not needed by the company. The Palacios Pharmacy was later located on the lower floor.
 

 


Bay City
 


Wild Bill's Western Wear
1708 Sixth Street          979-244-5205
HOURS: Mon-Sat 9am-6pm
Designated as a Landmark Building 2008

The Langham Building was erected in 1904. It has been the home of Butler Grimes, J. C. Penney Company 1929-1978, The Shoe House and currently Wild Bill's. The facade was restored to near original condition. The brick posts in front had been hidden by stucco, but the natural brick was uncovered during the restoration.
 

 


Myra's Garden
3207 CR 106 (Skelly Road)      979-245-3634
HOURS: Mon-Fri 8am-5:30 pm; Sat 8am-5pm

Myra's Garden is located on property that was one of the earliest farms in the Bay City area. The original building is used to conduct the business which sells plants in addition to landscaping and irrigation services.




Bay City Floral
2133 Avenue G          979-245-9492
HOURS: Mon - Fri 8:30am-5:30pm & Sat 8:30am-3:30pm
Flowers and Gifts
Designated as a Landmark Building April 20, 1998

The attractive brick corbelling design draws interest to this building. Korn Wagons & Implements was located here in 1907 and the current building was erected by P. A. McLendon in 1907. Later Klein's Dry Goods Store and Guess 5 and 10 Cent Store (1935-1956) operated here.  Hines Youth Shop (1982-1995) and Sassy Interiors and Gifts have also occupied the building.

 




Homestead

2145 Avenue G
Designated as a Landmark Building April 20, 1998

Dr. J. E. Simons and Dr. P. E. Parker with others erected the current building in 1907 as Matagorda Pharmacy. Their offices were upstairs. The pharmacy operated here under different owners for many years. The Mustard Seed was here for many years before moving to its current location. The upper floor was renovated as a private residence and the lower floor was opened as the I Skream Company, an ice cream shop. Another ice cream shop opened there before the Apostle Book Store moved in.
 




Basket Shop and Boutique
1728 Sixth Street          979-943-3363
HOURS: Mon-Fri 10am-6pm; Sat 10am-5pm
Clothing, Jewelry & Gift Items
Designated as a Landmark Building April 20, 1998

The Basket Shop and Boutique moved to the square into the Austin Building which was built in 1908. The facade has a unique design with brick corbelling and arched windows. During the 1920s and 30s, it was the site of the Alcove, a popular teenage hangout, on one side and a book and variety store on the other. Other stores at this location included Newman's Dry Goods 1940-1984, The Light Store in 1985, Threads & Quilts in the 1990s and most recently Amore Memories.
 




Green Bros. Jewelers
2121 Avenue G          979-245-2598
HOURS: Mon-Fri 9:30 am-5:30pm; Sat 9:30am-2pm
Jewelry
Designated as a Landmark Building 2000

Green Bros. is located in the Boney building which was erected by W. O. Boney in 1906. From 1906 until 1942, it was occupied by Stinnett Bros. Confectionery. The Orchid Shop operated there 1934-1978 and Green Bros. has been at this location since 1956.




Mustard Seed

1736 Sixth Street          979-244-4837
HOURS: Mon-Sat 9:30am-5:30pm
Christian Books & Gifts
Designated as a Landmark Building December 12, 2004

This building, with brick corbelling on the facade painted in contrasting maroon and white, dates back to 1907 when Doubek & Hawkins Furniture Store (1907-1915) began its business here. Also at this site were Sisk Hardware (1916-1955), Beall's Department Store (1955-1967) and Brady's of Bay City (1967-2000). The Mustard Seed opened here in 2002.
 




Health Food Cottage
1840 7th Street        979-245-3833
HOURS: Mon-Fri 9:30am-6pm Sat 9:30am-5pm
Health products, organic foods, Juice, Smoothie Bar & Deli
Designated as a Landmark Building October 5, 1998

Built in 1913 of red brick as Ehlert's Sanitary Bakery and has come full circle with food once again being served at this location. LeTulle Mercantile occupied the building 1936-1985 before it was remodeled and opened as the Smart Shop dress shop. Sue's Quilt Shop opened here in 1990.
 




Heart and Home

2140 Avenue F          979-244-2459
HOURS: Mon-Fri 9:30am-5:30pm Sat 9:30am-5pm
Interior design, flowers and gifts
Designated as a Landmark Building April 20, 1998

J. W. Gaines, Jr., the first lawyer in Bay City, erected this brick corbelled building in 1912 and occupied the site until 1917. It was also home to the American Cafe in 1920, the White House Cafe in 1927 and Batten's-The Smart Shop from 1960-1977. Heart and Home opened here in 1991.
 




Bay City Antique Mall
1913 Seventh Street          979-245-4117
HOURS: Tue-Sat 10am-5:30pm
Antiques and Collectables
Designated as a Landmark Building December 5, 1999

This building was erected in 1926 by Robert Poage. Groce-Parrish Wholesale Grocery Company operated here 1927-1944. The business became Groce-Wearden in 1944 and continued on the site until 1950. Dependable Motors opened here 1951-1977. Bay City Antique Mall began business here in 1998.

 


 


Blessing
 




Quilt Fabric & More

 816 FM 616
          (361) 588-6500
HOURS: Wed-Fri 10am-5pm; Sat 9am-4pm;
Sun 1pm-4pm

This shop is currently located across the street from the Hotel Blessing Coffee Shop in the block with the historic Logan Building. Future plans are to move to the building pictured above later this year.
 




Cutie Patutti Boutique
55 10th Street          361-588-6867
Women's clothing, jewelry, purses, shoes, and gifts
HOURS: Mon-Fri 10am-6pm; Sat 10am-5pm

The Blessing Branch of the Palacios Library, Inc. was previously located in this building.
 


 


Matagorda
 




Lena's Landing

800 Fisher Street          979-863-2020
WINTER HOURS: Thu-Sun 10am-5pm
SUMMER HOURS: Sun-Sat 10am-5:30pm
Souvenirs, Gifts, T-Shirts, Beach Decor
and Hand-Dipped Blue Bell Ice Cream

Lena's Landing is located in the Matagorda Masonic Lodge building. The Lodge, which dates back to 1838,  meets on the second floor and the first floor over the years has housed a restaurant and most recently the Matagorda Branch of the Bay City Public Library.
 




Matagorda Harbor House
244 Fisher Street          979-863-7110
HOURS: Sun-Sat 10am-5pm
Furnishings, Nautical Items and Unique Whimsical Gifts

This building was a former store where the Banyansco brothers sat on a bench every day and waved to everyone passing by.


 




Matagorda Shoppe

214 Fisher Street          979-863-2268
HOURS:  Sun-Sat 10am-5pm
T-Shirts, Souvenirs, Beach Items

This building was built by the Parsutt family and operated as the Shell Shoppe for many years. The Matagorda Shoppe carries on the tradition of providing souvenirs and gifts for Matagorda residents and visitors.
 




High Tide

Corner of Fisher & Caney         
HOURS: TBA
Gifts, Nautical Items, Imports

The building in which High Tide is located was formerly the Methodist Church parsonage.


 


Bay City
 

Blessing

Return to Visit Matagorda County

Matagorda Palacios
Cemeteries Churches Dine Markers Homes Museums Military Shop Stay Tours