MATAGORDA COUNTY WEDDING ARTICLES

A - C

Listed alphabetically by grooms.

A - C          D - G          H - L         M - Q           R - Z

Bride Index

 


ABENDROTH – REEVES

The happy marriage of Miss Rosa Lee Reeves to Mr. Abendroth occurred Monday evening in Bay City, Rev. Storey, Presbyterian minister, officiating. The couple left for Needville immediately after the ceremony, where they will make their home for the present. Rosa Lee, as she is affectionately known by her many friends in Palacios, has been in school here a number of years and all who know her, love her, and to this young couple hearty congratulations and good wishes are extended.

Palacios Beacon, January 17, 1929
 


ACOSTA - OTTINO
Miss Margaret Ottino, John Gilbert Acosta Are Married Saturday

Miss Margaret Ottino, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. John R. Ottino, became the bride of John Gilbert Acosta of Bay City in a ceremony at St. Anthony's Catholic Church at 7:30 Saturday morning, November 1. The ceremony was performed by Rev. Patrick O'Farrell.

The bride chose for her wedding a white brocade suit with an orchid corsage.

Mr. and Mrs. J. V. Ottino, brother and sister-in-law of the bride, were their only attendants.

A reception was held at the bride's home following the ceremony.

After a short wedding trip, the couple will make their home in Palacios temporarily.

Palacios Beacon, November 8, 1962
 


ADAMS-JACKSON
WEDDING BELLS ARE RINGING

ADAMS-JACKSON—Sunday afternoon at 1 o’clock, Mr. Algie Adams, of Houston, and Miss Modora Jackson, of Allenhurst, reported at the Methodist parsonage, and asked the pastor to join them in marriage, and this he did to the delight of both parties.

The Matagorda County Tribune, February 7, 1919
 


ALLEN - LAWSON

A quiet wedding Saturday evening at the home of the officiating minister, Rev. F. G. Clark, pastor of the M. E. Church, united the lives and destinies of two more of our young people. The contracting parties were Miss Maurine Lawson, daughter of Gordon Lawson, and Butler Allen, son of Mr. and Mrs. J. H. Allen.

The bride has spent all her life in Palacios, graduated from our High School and then took a course in a Business College in Houston. She is now an assistant in the Roger Grocery. Butler assists his father in the Pickwick Bakery.

They are popular and deserving young people and have a host of friends with whom we join in congratulations. Mr. and Mrs. Allen have rooms with Mrs. S. H. Moore.

Palacios Beacon, December 20, 1928
 


Horn – Allen                           Allen – Cox
DOUBLE WEDDING

A double wedding ceremony of interest to Palacios friends and in which three of our young people were participants, occurred in Bay City Sunday, when Miss Oleta Allen, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. J. H. Allen of the Pickwick Bakery, became the bride of Mr. Bernis (Pee Wee) Horn of Gulf, and Miss Vivian Cox, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. R. C. Cox, became the bride of Mr. Roy Allen, son of Mr. and Mrs. J. H. Allen.

The young people motored to the county seat where the nuptial vows were made after which they went to Houston and Galveston for a short honeymoon trip, returning to Palacios today, Thursday.

Mr. and Mrs. Horn will make their home in Gulf where Mr. Horn has a position with the Gulf Sulphur Co., and has been employed there the past four years or more. Mrs. Horn is young in years but mature in manner and has been an able assistant in the front part of the bakery the past year.

Mr. Allen is now employed on a dredge working near Bay City, but assisted his father here in the bakery when they first came to Palacios some two years ago. Mrs. Allen grew up here and has a host of admirers in the social circle in which she moved.

The Beacon takes pleasure in joining the many friends of these popular and deserving young people in hearty felicitations and best wishes.

Palacios Beacon, May 24, 1928
 


AMEND – HAINES

Tuesday afternoon Dr. W. L. Amend, of Alvin, and Miss Algie Haines were married at Bay City. The wedding party, consisting of the bride and groom, Mr. and Mrs. J. H. Nixon and Mrs. J. E. McGuire, returned at once to Palacios where an informal reception was held a the home of the bride's parents. Mrs. Amend is the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Joseph Haines, of this city, whose friends are limited only by her acquaintances. Dr. Amend is a popular young dentist and ranchman of Alvin. These young people will be at home at Alvin, Okla., after August first.

The Palacios Beacon, July 20, 1917
 


Amos-Tanis

 

A wedding of interest here is that of Miss Marion Tanis, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Paul Tanis of Edna to Mr. William Madison Amos, son of Mr. and Mrs. C. M. Amos of this city at the home of the bride in Edna on Saturday night, July sixth at eight o'clock. Rev. C. H. Spence officiating.

 

The Tanis home was beautifully but simply decorated in many pink and white summer flowers and ferns. The improvised altar was lovely, banked in ferns and baskets of the flowers.

 

The bride, unattended, wore a chic suit of navy blue triple sheer crepe with accessories to match. Her corsage was of white gardenias. The groom, also unattended, wore a navy blue suit.

 

The immediate families of the young couple were the only witnesses of the ceremony, and were the only guests at the reception which followed.

 

The bride and groom left immediately afterwards for Monterrey, Mexico, where they visited until last Sunday. They will be at home in East Columbia where Mr. Amos has a position with the Danciger Oil Company.

 

The bride attended the Edna schools and later a college. She has been working in Columbus where she had a position with the Central Power and Light Company.

 

The groom attended the Bay City schools, later attending and graduating from A. & M. College. He has worked for the Central Power and Light Company, also. Mr. Amos is one of Bay City's most popular young men.

 

The Matagorda County Tribune, Thursday, July 18, 1935

 


ANDERSON – HARRISON

Mr. C. A. Anderson and Miss Jennie Harrison, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. J. A.  Harrison, both well-known and popular young people of the city, were married last Saturday morning at the St. Marys Episcopal church at Houston, Mr. and Mrs. Anderson will make their home at Palacios. Their many friends join in offering their hearty congratulations, wishing them unlimited happiness and prosperity.

Palacios Beacon, May 9, 1913
 


ARNOLD – STONE

On Tuesday night last Mr. W. B. Arnold and Miss Carleen Roberta Stone of Wadsworth were united in marriage at the Methodist parsonage, Rev. J. F. Carter officiating. While this was a quick marriage, it was not a quick match, as the engagement was of several months standing and their friends were on the lookout. The young lady being in town on a visit to her sister, Miss Lena Stone of Moore & Reynolds. Cupid entangled them in his meshes and Bro. Carter was called on to tie the knot. Mr. Arnold is one of our prominent business men, as one of the proprietors of Arnold's Market, while the bride is one of the charming young ladies of Wadsworth, daughter of the druggist there. The happy couple have the hearty good wishes of hosts of friends, in which the News-Farmer joins most heartily.

The Matagorda County News and Midcoast Farmer, July 27, 1915
 


AVERY – JONES

Mr. Edwin Avery of Palacios and Mrs. Mary Jones, of Shawnee, Okla. Were united in marriage last Sunday morning at 10:45 o’clock at the M. E. Church, Rev. Garret officiating.

The ceremony that united these two lives was very simple and impressive and many friends were present to congratulate the happy couple.

Immediately after the ceremony “Blest Be the Tie that Binds” was sung while congratulations were offered to the newly married couple.

Mr. and Mrs. Avery will be at home to their many friends on Welch Ave.

Palacios Beacon, February 22, 1918
 


BAINS – SAVAGE

Married, at the residence of Mr. Chas. J. Laake, near Wadsworth switch, on Sunday afternoon, Sept. 6, 1903, Miss Gay Savage, to Mr. Robt. J. Bains; Rev. J. H. Thorn of this city officiating.

The bride is a daughter of Mr. Greenbury Savage, one of this county’s most prominent stockmen, and is an exceedingly popular young lady in the circles of her acquaintance.

We learn that the groom is a young gentleman highly esteemed by all who know him. It seems, therefore, that congratulations are in order all around, and The Tribune joins in the general rejoicing and good wishes.

The
Matagorda County Tribune, September 11, 1903
 


BALDWIN – GROVER

Mr. Alfred Baldwin and Miss Susie Grover, both popular and much admired young people of this city, were quietly married Wednesday evening of this week at the Methodist parsonage by the pastor, Rev. Dallas A. Williams. The wedding came as quite a surprise to their many friends, and who join with the Beacon in offering hearty and sincere congratulations. Mr. and Mrs. Baldwin will make their home at Palacios, and for the present, are at home with the bride’s mother, Mrs. Belle Grover on Morton avenue.

Palacios Beacon, January ___, 1911
 


WHITE - BARNELL

Palacios relatives and friends of Mrs. Frieda Barnell have been informed of the coming marriage of her daughter Miss Ruth, to George White, which will take place in Houston, Saturday, Feb. 15, at 6:30 p.m.

Miss Ruth is well known here, having made Palacios her home a number of years, attended our schools and graduated with the class of ’21.

She numbers her friends by her acquaintances and all join in wishing for her a life of complete happiness. The groom we learn has a good position with the Hughes Tool Co., in Houston and is a young man of high character and exemplary habits. The Beacon takes pleasure in extending congratulations.

Palacios Beacon, February 13, 1930
 


BARNETT – DAVIS

      Miss Ruby Davis, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Will Davis, of Wharton, and Mr. Guy Barnett, were united in marriage Sunday at the home of the bride, Rev. Myers, of Rosenberg, officiating.

      They will make their home in Victoria, where Guy has a position with Mrs. Gould’s Bakery, as a driver of one of the trucks. He has a host of friends here who join us in wishing for him and his bride all the joy and happiness this life affords.

Palacios Beacon, November 1, 1934
 


BARR - SCUDDER

Mr. and Mrs. Morgan Joel Scudder announce the marriage of their daughter, Elizabeth Margaret to Harold Vilas Barr, on Wednesday, September the nineteenth.

Early Wednesday morning the happy young couple, accompanied by Rev. G. F. Gillespie, the officiating minister, motored to Bay City and the nuptial vows were taken in the Presbyterian church of that city.

Immediately after the ceremony the newly weds left for a honey moon trip which will include visits to New Orleans, Biloxi, and other points of interest in that section.

They will return to Palacios to make their future home, having rented the apartment in the Mrs. Opal Price residence on South Bay, recently vacated by Mr. and Mrs. Mell Lewis, and which is all ready for their occupancy.

Mr. Barr is a son of Mr. and Mrs. J. J. Barr and of our most estimable families. He is a member of the Bay Chevrolet Co., which is one of Palacios’ leading business enterprises.

Mrs. Barr, the only daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Scudder, who have made Palacios their home less than two years, has endeared herself to a large circle of friends by her many excellent traits of character and pleasing manner and possesses all the qualifications for a real help mate.

These are two of our most deserving and popular young people and have the best wishes of a host of friends with whom we join in felicitations.

Palacios Beacon, September 20, 1928
 


BARRETT – JORDAN

Miss Ella Jordan and Mr. Ed. Barrett were married in Bay City last Saturday and after a short honeymoon trip have returned to Palacios and will soon be “at home” in the Mrs. H. H. Foster cottage on 2nd and Lucas.

The bride is the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. D. P. Jordan, and the groom is the oldest son of Mr. and Mrs. Henry Barrett, all of this city. They have a host of friends with whom we join in hearty congratulations.

Palacios Beacon, July 5, 1934
 


BARRETT – BUFFALOE

Mr. and Mrs. Fred Barrett are the most recent newly weds in Palacios and are at home to their many friends in an apartment at the resident [sic] of Mrs. H. C. Boyd.

The ceremony was performed a few days ago in Bay City. The bride, [Dorothy], is a daughter of Mr. and Mrs. R. F. Buffaloe, attended Palacios school and graduated with the class of ’33. The groom is a son of Mr. and Mrs. Henry Barrett, and for some time has assisted at the Crawford Packing Co. They are a most worthy young couple and have a host of friends with whom the Beacon joins in extending congratulations and best wishes.

Palacios Beacon, August 30, 1934
 


PARSON – BATES

Mr. Frank Bates, of the Bay City Bank & Trust Company, and Miss Evelyn Parson, of this city, were quietly married today at the Episcopal rectory, Rev. John Sloan officiating.

The wedding was a surprise to the many friends of both the young people and there were only a few present at the ceremony.

Mr. Bates has been in Bay City for the past two years and during that time has made many friends. He enjoys a splendid position with the Bay City Bank & Trust Company, where he is held in the highest possible esteem.

The bride is one of Bay City’s most charming young ladies and has made many friends by her sweet and quiet disposition.

The Tribune extends its heartiest congratulations.

The Matagorda County Tribune, February 19, 1915
 


BAXTER – DEATS

Married, Wednesday evening, Oct. 30th, at the Christian church at 8 o’clock, Mr. Roy Baxter to Miss Maude Deats, Rev. Cagle of the First Christian church officiating. The beautiful ring ceremony was used and the happy event was witnessed by a large audience of relatives and friends.

Before the ceremony Mrs. J. D. McClerry sang “O Promise Me.” W. E. Rush played the wedding march and the bridal party entered, the usher, Curtis Aycock and Clarence Bass, leading the way to the altar. They were followed by the matron of honor, Mrs. A. C. Calvert, of Italy. The bride’s maid, Miss Allie Chapman of Galveston came next, followed by the bride, leaning on her father’s arm. The groom and his best man, Rob Roy Sturdivant, met the party at the altar and received his bride from her father. Mr. and Mrs. Baxter left on the 10:10 o’clock train for their future home near Center Point.

The groom is the youngest son of Mr. and Mrs. Paul Baxter, who, with his parents, resided here until a few years ago. He is a quiet, unassuming young man of sterling worth and limits his friends only by the circle of his acquaintances. His bride is the eldest daughter of Mr. and Mrs. F. F. Deats of this city, a young lady of charming personality and many accomplishments. They were the recipients of many beautiful and useful presents. The Picayune joins many mutual friends in wishing for them a long married life of happiness—Beeville Picayune.

The groom is a nephew of Mrs. W. C. Berg of Matagorda, who went over to attend the wedding last week, and is well known in this county where he has a large circle of friends.

The Matagorda News, November 8, 1912
 


BAXTER – MCDONALD

Mr. D. Ross Baxter and Miss Gladys McDonald, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. J. R. McDonald, both of Palacios, were married Sunday afternoon at one o’clock at the Methodist parsonage by the pastor, Rev. Myers. After the ceremony they left by auto for Blessing, going over the Brownsville road to Houston and Galveston for a few days wedding trip. The wedding was private, and came as quite a surprise to the many friends of Mr. and Mrs. Baxter, who are among the best known and most popular young people of the city. Mr. Baxter is one of the youngest of our business men, having recently succeeded W. N. Cole in the grocery business, but which he has been associated with for some time. The bride is a most charming young lady and admired by a large circle of friends. The Beacon joins with their many other friends in bespeaking for Mr. and Mrs. Baxter happiness and prosperity to the fullness of their heart’s desires.

Palacios Beacon, June 27, 1913
 


BAXTER – SMITH

Mr. Stanley Baxter, formerly of Palacios, but now one of the successful business men of our neighboring town of Blessing, and Miss Pearl Smith, daughter of Mr. J. W. Smith, of Blessing, were married last Sunday afternoon at 4 o’clock at the home of Mr. and Mrs. Maurice Nelson in this city, Rev. Dr. Green, pastor of the Presbyterian church, officiating. Mr. and Mrs. Baxter remained in the city for a few days visit, and have been receiving the congratulations of their many friends. The bride and groom are both popular and much esteemed young people with large circles of admiring friends here and at Blessing, and all of whom unite in offering their sincerest congratulations and well wishes for their future happiness and prosperity.

Palacios Beacon, June 14, 1912
 


BECK – HANSARD

Miss Margarite Hansard and W. D. Beck motored to Bay City Monday morning and at 11:30 were united in marriage. Immediately after the ceremony they returned to Palacios and went to the home of Mrs. T. M. Luther where a wedding dinner was served at 1 o’clock, immediate guests including the mother of the groom and her husband, Mr. and Mrs. Shannon of Houston. The bride is a daughter of Rev. and Mrs. V.  A. Hansard, of Hedley, Tex., and a granddaughter of Mrs. T. M. Luther with whom she has made her home since coming to Palacios last October to take a position in the telephone office. She has been a faithful assistant and made numerous friends by her kind and courteous manner.

The groom has lived in Palacios a greater part of the time for several years, making his home with his uncle and aunt Mr. and Mrs. Guy Barnett. He is a deserving young man and for some time has been an able assistant at the Humble Station. Mr. and Mrs. Beck will continue to make Palacios their home where they have a host of friends with whom we join in extending best wishes.

Palacios Beacon, July 11, 1935
 


BEST – WILLIAMSON

Thursday, Dec. 31st, at 11 o’clock a.m. at the Prairie View Ranch, seven miles north of Palacios, the home of the bride’s mother, Mr. Harry Best, of Blessing, and Miss Florence Williamson, daughter of Mrs. Geo. E. Williamson, were united in marriage. Rev. Shepherd, pastor of the Palacios Presbyterian church, preformed the ceremony―the beautiful ring service, Mr. Byron Williamson, her brother, giving the bride away.

Miss Allen, of the Palacios Academy, played the Wedding March, and the accompaniments for Miss Rachael Plummer, of San Antonio, who sang “The Sands of the Dessert,” and Miss Gardner, who sang “Oh Promise Me,” both songs being most beautifully rendered. The ranch house was most elaborately decorated for the occasion with smilax and eupon (sic) the curtains being drawn and the ceremony taking place by candle light. After the ceremony a sumptuous two course breakfast was served, and the wedding cake cut, Miss Allen cutting the ring. Just before leaving the bride tossed the bridal boquet. Miss Gardner and Miss Maude Williamson being the lucky ones to catch it. The young couple received many beautiful gifts.

The wedding guests were Mrs. Geo. E. Williamson, mother of the bride, Misses Maude and Belle Williamson, sisters and Mr. Byron, brother of the bride, Mrs. C. C. Williamson and son Robt.; Mr. and Mrs. W. F. Schwind, of Francitas, and their guest Mr. Corby, of Texas City; Miss May Young, of Kansas City; Miss Rachael Plummer, of San Antonio; Jerry Lauderbach and wife, Miss Allen, Miss Gardner, Miss Yockey and Rev. and Mrs. Shepherd, of Palacios.

After the wedding dinner Mr. and Mrs. Best went to Francitas, leaving that evening on the Brownsville train for Loraine, Ohio, where they will make their home, making stop-over visits at Houston, St. Louis and Valparaiso Ind. The bride in particular has a large list of friends in this city who join with the Beacon in offering their congratulations wishing them a long, prosperous and joyous life.

Palacios Beacon, January 1, 1915
 


BLAIR – NOLTE

Special to the Tribune.  Matagorda, Texas, Oct. 17—The wedding of Lem Blair and Miss Bertha Lee Nolte was solemnized at the home of the bride’s parents, Mr. and Mrs. Charles Nolte at high noon Wednesday, Rev. John Sloan of Bay City officiating.

They left on the outgoing train for a few days’ visit with relatives at Van Vleck after which they will take up their residence at the cottage of R. O. Phillips at Matagorda.

Only immediate relatives and a few friends were present. Mrs. Clarence Dietrich, a sister of the bride from Port Lavaca, the only out of town guest. Miss Nolte is the youngest daughter of one of our pioneer families, and has never known any home but Matagorda and thereby has many warm friends here who wish her all the joys and riches of blessings known.

The groom has only been in our midst for a few years but has by his manly qualities, made a host of friends among his bride’s associates and with the business men here who welcome him now as a Matagorda citizen and we all wish them bon voyage on the Matrimonial Sea.

The Matagorda County Tribune, October 25, 1912
 


MIDFIELD WEDDING
Bokers – Schroeder

At the home of the bride's brother three miles east of Midfield, Sunday evening at 3:30, Miss Tessa Schroeder and Mr. Ira Bokers were united in marriage by Rev. Chambers of Markham. Only a few close friends and relatives of the bride and groom were present. The bride looked beautiful in her costume of white voile over moray silk. The groom wore a suit of black broadcloth. They received several nice presents as follows: Mr. and Mrs. H. J. Botts, a linen table cloth; Little Hildred Botts, bonbon dish; Erma and Lee Schroeder, vase; Miss Pearl Melbourne, set silver spoons; J. E. Robinson, a handsome mirror; Mr. and Mrs. T. S. Schroeder, two beautiful china dishes; Mrs. T. E. Schroeder, hand painted fruit dish and china tea pot; Rena Schroeder, cutglass jelly dish. The bride's gown was a present from Mr. and Mrs. A. E. Schroeder. The happy couple left for their home near Blessing with plenty of rice. We wish them a long and happy life.                                    

The
Matagorda County Tribune, March 4, 1910
 


BOND-YERXA WEDDING

Thursday afternoon at 5:30 o’clock Miss Leone Kathryn Yerxa, eldest daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Arthur H. Yerxa, was married to Frank Bell Bond at the home of the bride’s parents in Sam Houston Park, Rev. L. E. Selfridge of Bay City, former pastor of the bride officiating.

The rooms were handsomely decorated with banked ferns, white roses, carnations and cosmos in tall vases. An improvised altar of palms and roses occupied one end of the long living room, and here the ceremony took place. The bridal solo was given by Mrs. L. W. Matteson of San Benito, who sang “All for You.” Mrs. John M. Lee played the Mendelssohn wedding march. The bride was attended by her only sister, Miss Lucy Elizabeth Yerxa, as maid of honor, and little Miss Carmen Lewis of Bay City as flower girl. She was given in marriage by her father, and Preston Haley acted as groomsman. The bride wore a coat of suit of dove and changeable gros de londre, with a handsome hand made collar of heavy ecrue lace, the only trimming. The shower bouquet was of roses, white sweet peas and plumosa, and her hat was fashioned of folds of deep cream georgette with gold facing and the accessories were in harmony. The maid of honor made a quaint picture in her gown of yellow organdie, her hair was dressed in 1840 style and she carried a graceful basket of white cosmos and plumosa tied with maline.

The dainty little flower girl, who is the granddaughter of Mr. and Mrs. R. L. Autrey of Houston, was dressed in fluffy white, and scattered rose petals in the path of the bride and groom.

Assisting at the reception were several young matrons, including Mesdames Fred Carleton, Preston Haley, Bruce Wallace and Justin Keisling, with Mrs. R. R. Lewis of Bay City presiding at the punch bowl.

Many handsome gifts evidenced the popularity of the young couple.

Both young people were social favorites in Matagorda County, the bride having lived formerly at Buckeye, Texas, where her father was general manager of the Plotner and Stoddard estates for a number of years before coming to Houston. The groom, formerly of Nashville, Tenn., where he is well known, is popularily identified with the automobile business in Houston.

Mr. and Mrs. Bond left for a short trip, keeping their destination a secret, and will be at home in Hyde Park after June 1, where a furnished bungalow awaits their return.

Among the out of town guests were: Mrs. L. W. Matteson of San Benito, aunt of the bride; Rev. L. E. Selfridge of Bay City, Mrs. R. R. Lewis of Bay City, John Bond of San Antonio, Mrs. Caroline Fisher of Markham, Mr. and Mrs. L. E. Liggett and son of Collegeport, Texas; Mrs. Verne Tower and family of Citrus Grove, Texas; Francis Spence, Miss Spence and Miss Anna Spence of Buckeye, Texas.–Houston Post.               

 The
Matagorda County Tribune, May 18, 1917
 


BONO – COOK

Palacios, Tex. Feb. 13―Mr. F. N. Bono, a young druggist lately from Houston, was married to Miss Beulah Mae Cook of that city last Wednesday evening. Mr. and Mrs. Bono arrived in Palacios Thursday morning, where they will make their home.

Matagorda County News & Midcoast Farmer, February 13, 1917
 


BOTTS – KELLER

Married.―At the home of the bride’s parents, Mr. and Mrs. G. R. Keller, in this city, Sunday afternoon, Miss Ruth Keller and Mr. Harry C. Botts, of Galveston; Rev. J. F. Carter of the Methodist church performing the ceremony. Mrs. Martin Thompson sang a beautiful wedding song, Mrs. Smith, a sister of the bride, playing the accompaniment. The happy couple left on the afternoon train for their home in Galveston, being accompanied to the train by a party of friends and relatives, wishing them bon voyage on the matrimonial sea.

Matagorda County News & Midcoast Farmer, April 4, 1916
 


BOURRET – PHILLIPS

Mr. J. J. Bourret, of Houston, and Miss Doris Phillips, daughter of Mrs. Ada Phillips, of this city, were recently united in marriage at Houston.

Mr. and Mrs. Bourret will make their home in Houston except at such times when a sojourn in West Texas may prove of benefit to Mrs. Bourret.

The bride’s many friends here extend the heartiest of good wishes and a hope for a life of health and happiness.―Bay City Tribune.

The bride is well known here, she having held the position of stenographer and bookkeeper for the Ruthven Packing Co., and Ruthven Grocery Co., a number of years and has a host of friends in this city who join with others in extending congratulations and best wishes.

Palacios Beacon, July 12, 1928
 


BOWIE – DUNLAVY

Of cordial interest comes the announcement of the marriage of Mrs. Tomy Dunlavy, daughter of Mrs. Hugh Gilmore of Matagorda to Phillip M. Bowie, son of Mr. and Mrs. Hubert Bowie of Cedar Lane which was solemnized in Bay City Monday at 7 o’clock, May 7, 1934 at the parsonage of the First Methodist Church. Rev. E. G. Cooke officiated at the ceremony.

The bride was stunningly attired in a rose beige triple sheer crepe model and she wore accessories of brown. Mrs. E. J. Parma, sister of the groom, was the only attendant.

Mr. and Mrs. Bowie will be at home in Cedar Lane for an extended time. The bride was born and reared in Matagorda and attended the Matagorda schools. The groom is a scion of one of Matagorda County’s oldest and most respected families. He attended the Bay City schools. Both have a host of friends who with the Tribune, extend congratulations and best wishes to this splendid young couple.                                      

The Matagorda County Tribune
, May 10, 1934
 


BOX – CHAPMAN

 

Dr. W. F. Box, of Coulterville, and Miss Ada Chapman, of Scranton, Pa., suddenly appeared in Bay City last Monday, as bride and groom, having been married in Houston on the 30th ultimo.


Dr. Box is a well known and popular physician of the lower Caney country, and the bride is also well known here, as the owner of a fine plantation on Buckner’s prairie, believed to be the most fertile prairie in Texas.


The Tribune joins their many friends in extending congratulations and good wishes to the Doctor and his bride.                                    

The
Matagorda County Tribune, December 10, 1898
 


 

BOYD-EHLERS

A pretty and simple home wedding took place when Miss Emily Ehlers was united in marriage with Erve H. Boyd. In the reception hall and double parlors, quantities of sweet peas, coral vine and ferns added charm and attractiveness. The opening between the parlors was converted in to a bridal arch by long, graceful leaves of the date palm. From the center hung the wedding bell. In the dining room, while [wild?] flowers and fern were used, and also the three-tier wedding cake, with the emblems attached to white satin ribbons, the whole being surmounted by a fluttering dove bearing in its beak two wedding rings. At the appointed hour Miss Boyd, sister of the bridegroom, took her place beside the piano and sang, "All for You." Miss Boyd was accompanied by Miss Ruthven at the piano, who, when the song was ended, played the bridal chorus from "Lohengrin." To the strains of this the briday party, Miss Murial Johnson, Carl Ehlers and the bride and bridegroom, entered, and took their stations beneath the wedding arch, where they were met by Rev. Mr. Gillespie. After the ceremony and the felicitations, the assemblage entered the dining room, where the bride cut the first slice from the lovely cake, and each in turn "cut" for luck." Mrs. Vick presided at the punch bowl. The bride, only daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Ben Ehlers, wore a coat suit of gray brocaded Roshanara crepe and small hat of gray chenille. She carried an arm bouquet of bride roses. The young bride is a college girl. Mr. Boyd is the only son of Mr. and Mrs. H. C. Boyd, who gave his services to his country during the world war and who is now his fathers' partner in the jewelry business. Amid showers of rice and wishes for continued happiness, the young couple left in the afternoon for the honeymoon trip, which will include Houston, Galveston and New Orleans.

Matagorda County Tribune, June 8, 1923
 


BRANDON – DUFFY

Wedding bells rang for a popular and highly esteemed Matagorda County young couple Tuesday night when Miss Trude Ann Duffy and Thomas S. Brandon were united in marriage in the Methodist church in Matagorda, Rev. Ennis pastor, officiating. Immediately following the ceremony a reception was held at the bride’s home for the wedding party and invited guests.

The bride is the eldest daughter of Mr. and Mrs. A. A. Duffy, of Matagorda, a Gulf high school graduate, and attended C. I. A. two years. She taught in the Turtle Bay school the past term and gave excellent satisfaction. She has a charming personality, and possesses all the qualifications required of a true helpmate, and numbers her friends by all her acquaintances.

The groom is the only son of Mr. and Mrs. T. R. Brandon, pioneer citizens of Palacios and grew to young manhood within our midst. He is a graduate of Palacios high school and attended Southwestern University. Since his school days he has been associated with his father in the Dry Goods Store and has become one of our foremost young citizens. For the past two years he has served the Chamber of Commerce as vice president and has made a large circle of friends both in a business and social way.

Following a short wedding trip Mr. and Mrs. Brandon will return to Palacios to make their home and will be given a most cordial welcome.

************

Among those attending the Duffy-Brandon wedding in Matagorda Tuesday night, were Mr. and Mrs. R. J. Sisson, Miss Elizabeth and Harry, Mr. and Mrs. John Bentler, Mrs. R. C. Wilkerson, Mrs. H. C. Lewis, Mr. and Mrs. Frank Gillespie, Mr. and Mrs. Harold Stewart and family, Mr. and Mrs. Joe Beard, Mr. and Mrs. W. C. Gray, Mr. and Mrs. J. W. Bolling, Mrs. C. W. Nester, Mrs. J. W. Dismukes, Mrs. John T. Price, Mrs. Jesse Richards, John Bowden, Misses Hazel Huffman, Betty Jane Anderson, Marian Nester, Bobbie Louise and Nancy Price.

Palacios Beacon, June 6, 1935

BRANDON – DUFFY

A wedding of much interest to relatives and friends in Houston and surrounding towns was that of Miss Trude Ann Duffy, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. E. E. Duffy of Matagorda to Thomas S. Brandon of Palacios, son of Mr. and Mrs. T. R. Brandon, which was solemnized Tuesday evening in the Methodist Church, Matagorda, Rev. S. H. Innes performing the double-ring service. Simplicity marked the decorations of the church, Southern smilax forming the background with white gladioli filling the altar baskets, and candalebra with white tapers giving the illumination.

Jack Duffy and William Ryman two youths in white suits, one entering the right and the other the left aisle marched up to the front and lighted the cluster of tapers on either side and then the tapers on the piano.

Miss Willa Mae Kelly of Newgulf gave the wedding music, playing as a prelude “At Dawning,” “Indian Love Song,” and accompanying Miss Evelyn McNabb of Bay City who sang “Sweetest Story Ever Told” and “I Love You Truly.” The traditional wedding marches were played. The bride, given in marriage by her father, wore a white linen gown having a lace yoke with high neck and white lilies of the valley at the throat. The long sleeves ended in points over the hands and closed with white buttons to the elbow. Her veil of illusion was bordered with rose point lace fashioned from an heirloom of the family. A bit of sentiment was attached to the lace handkerchief which has been carried for over 50 years on many special occasions. Her shower bouquet was of white bride roses, lilies of the valley and maidenhair fern.

Miss Frances Crumley of Italy, Texas, who served as maid of honor was gowned in pink silk net over taffeta. The bridesmaids were Miss Margaret Erickson of Bay City who wore blue chiffon; Miss Margaret Brown of Newgulf who was in yellow French mousseline over taffeta, Miss Evelyn McNabb, in orchid chiffon over taffeta. The little junior bridesmaid, Betty Lou Duffy, sister of the bride wore white net over blue taffeta with blue sash. Dorothy Baer, the flower girl was in pink silk net over taffeta. The ring-bearer, little Dan Chilton, son of Mr. and Mrs. Dan Chilton of Houston carried the ring on a white satin pillow covered in point lace from the bridal gown of the bride’s mother.

Harry Sisson of Palacios and Lake Charles, La., served as best man, and the ushers were Mr. John Bowden of Palacios and Mr. A. E. Duffy Jr., of Matagorda.

Following the ceremony a reception was held at the residence of the bride’s parents. Baskets of white gladioli and Shasta daisies adorned the living rooms, and white bride’s roses and maidenhair fern formed the centerpiece for the bride’s table from which the refreshments were served. The bride’s cake was embossed in white roses and ferns. Those assisting in the dining room were Mesdames W. W. Rugeley, R. Williams, J. Patterson, Misses Geraldine Ryman and Bessie Max Baxter. The bride’s book was presided over by Miss Carmen Boney of Bay City.

The couple left immediately after the reception for Monterrey, Mexico, and upon their return will be at home in Palacios. The bride’s going-away suit was a smart navy triple sheer crepe with blue hat embroidered lace blouse and accessories.

Besides the friends from Palacios and Bay City, other out-of-town guests, were Mr. and Mrs. Henry Farmer, Mr. and Mrs. Benny Shaw, Mr. and Mrs. Boedecker, Mr. and Mrs. Jack Minton, and Carl Minton, Mr. and Mrs. Dan Clinton and two sons, Mr. and Mrs. C. E. Gilbert, grandparents of the bride, Misses Gertrude and Elizabeth Gilbert, Mr. and Mrs. C. E. Gilbert, Jr., Miss Trude Wilson and Dr. Enga Arnold and Mr. and Mrs. T. G. Andrews of Houston, and Mrs. T. G. Andrews and Miss Kate Andrews and Chas. Andrews of San Antonio, Mr. and Mrs. J. M. Pennington of Boling, and Mr. and Mrs. J. Anthony and Miss Nadie Belle of Wharton.―Houston Post.

Palacios Beacon, June 20, 1935
 


BRAWLEY – FISHER
 

Married.—At the residence of Prof. E. F. Taylor, in Bay City, on Monday evening, January 31st, 1899, Miss Ada Fisher and Mr. H. C. Brawley; Elder E. F. Taylor officiating.


Mr. Brawley is an exemplary and industrious young man who has so conducted himself since coming to this community as to win the respect and good will of the people. The bride is a native of this county and has a large circle of relatives and friends. The Tribune tenders its congratulations and good wishes.                  

The Matagorda County Tribune
, February 4, 1899
 


BROOKING - HAYES

Cards have been received by Palacios relatives and friends announcing the marriage of Miss Mable Hayes to Mr. Garland Brooking, in Norman, Okla., on Sunday, Sept. 2.

Rumors of this event were floating around last week after Mr. Brooking had made a hurried departure, supposedly to San Antonio, to see his mother, who is spending the summer there, but no definite information was given out until the first of the week.

The bride is the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. A. A. Hayes, who had made Palacios their home for a number of years, up until a few weeks ago when they moved to Norman. At one time she was an assistant in the Palacios State Bank and has also ably assisted her brother, N. L. Hayes in his clothing establishment. About two years ago she went to Norman, Okla., where she has since held a lucrative position. She was prominent in church and social circles and very popular with all who knew her.

The groom is a son of Mrs. Josephine Brooking, and belongs to one of the oldest and highest esteemed families of this section. He and his mother have made their home on the ranch near Olivia and he has been a most devoted son and companion for her since the death of the husband and father a number of years ago.

We learn the happy young couple left immediately for Hot Springs, Ark., for their honeymoon trip, after which they will return to Palacios, where a glad welcome awaits them. The Beacon joins their many friends in hearty felicitations.

Palacios Beacon, September 6, 1928
 


SUTTERFIELD – BROWN

      A very pretty home wedding occurred at 9:30 o’clock Tuesday evening, when Miss Laura Brown was united in marriage with John Sutterfield, of Palacios, The parents of Mr. Sutterfield, his brothers and other relatives of Palacios and about forty friends and neighbors of the bride constituted the wedding party. The home was decorated very prettily for the occasion. Standing with Miss Brown and Mr. Sutterfield while the solemn vows were being taken were Miss Mabel Brown, a sister of the bride and a cousin of the groom. The ceremony was performed by Rev. Williams, of Palacios. After the service refreshments were served. The bride is a charming young lady, possessed with a disposition that seems to please everybody she meets. Mr. Sutterfield is an industrious young man and should make a success in life with the helpmate he has chosen. They were the recipients of many beautiful and useful gifts.

Palacios Beacon, February 10, 1911
 


BRUNO – MOORE

Miss Jo Moore, accompanied by her mother, Mrs. J. D. Moore, and two of her closest friends, Misses Myrtle Darby and Lottie May Cox, left yesterday for Ft. Sam Houston, where she was united in marriage last night to Mr. Collie Bruno, a Bay City boy, now a soldier in the U. S. army.

Both of these young people have many friends in Bay City who, while somewhat surprised, will hasten to shower upon them their best wishes for a long and happy married life.

Both were raised in this city and are very popular with the younger set.

The Matagorda County Tribune, August 9, 1918
 


BUCEK – HOLMAN

Mr. P. H. Bucek of this city and Miss Lillie Holman of Bay City, Texas, were united by marriage at Bay City Tuesday morning the 25th. The wedding ceremony was performed at the home of the bride’s parents in the presence of many friends and relatives.

Mr. Bucek is well known throughout Calhoun county, having lived in Port Lavaca for five or six years. He is a member of the mercantile firm of Dudgeon and Bucek; and, for the past three years has been actively engaged in that business capacity. His many friends here are glad to hear of his new exalted station in life.

Miss Holman also has many friends here. She was one of the teachers in the Port Lavaca High School last year, and in that position won the respect, admiration and love of all who became personally acquainted with her, and especially that of the one who has now become her husband.

The many friends of Mr. and Mrs. Bucek are anxiously waiting here to extend to the happy couple their hearty congratulations and best wishes. The bride and groom are reported to arrive on or about the fourth of July.—Port Lavaca Wave.

The Matagorda County Tribune, July 5, 1912
 


WEDDING BELLS ARE RINGING

BUFF-MARTIN—At the same time and place, Mr. Charlie F. Buff and Miss Rosalea Martin of Lane City were also married by Rev. O. T. Hotchkiss. The two couples are all good friends, and decided that it would be very pleasing to embark on matrimonial seas at the same time. Several friends of the contracting parties came with them, and one young man made bold to say, that he was going to take the step when he could find a girl who would say, “Yes.”

The Matagorda County Tribune, February 7, 1919
 


BULLER - RITTENHOUSE

Mr. and Mrs. D. D. Rittenhouse announce the marriage of their granddaughter, Miss Alva Rittenhouse to Mr. Clarence Buller which took place in Alvin, Monday, April 30.

The happy couple returned to Palacios the following day and are now at home to their many friends in one of the cottages on Palmer row which they had made ready for their occupancy. The young people have the best wishes of a host of friends with whom we join.

Palacios Beacon, May 3, 1928
 


BULLER – TAYLOR

Thursday evening, March 1st, Mr. Linder Buller of Palacios and Mrs. Taylor of Gulf, were united in marriage, in this city, Rev. J. A. Derrick pastor of the First Baptist Church, performing the ceremony. The bride is a most estimable young widow of Gulf and has held a position in the telephone office for some time and will continue her duties there for a while at least. The groom is the eldest son of Mr. and Mrs. L. H. Buller, of this city, is energetic and reliable and is at present holding an engineers job in Gulf. The Beacon joins the many friends of these young people both here and at Gulf in extending congratulations.

Palacios Beacon, March 8, 1928
 


BURKE – POOLE

One of the most brilliant weddings ever solemnized in Bay City, was that of Miss Frances Poole and Mr. George R. Burke last evening, at the home of the bride’s parents, Mr. and Mrs. T. J. Poole in the presence of a large assemblage of relatives and friends, the impressive ceremony being performed by Rev. L. E. Selfridge.

A pink and white motif was effectively carried out, the spacious home being exquisitely adorned with choicest flowers, handsome potted plants and graceful vines.

The mantle in the living room was banked with gladioli and ferns, and the windows, door arches and chandeliers were prettily festooned with Southern smilax and asparagus plumose, while on pedestals and elsewhere were baskets of the chosen flowers.

The ceremony was performed in the parlor before an improvised altar beautifully fashioned of palms and ferns beneath a canopy of graceful Southern smilax.

Preceding the entrance of the bridal party, Miss Margaret Zuber of Bryan sang very sweetly “At Dawning’ and “For You Alone,” to the accompaniment played by Miss Lolla King, which was followed by Lohengrin’s wedding march played by Miss Norinne Gardner of Palacios, as the bridal party entered the parlor. From the right side of the reception hall Mr. Selfridge entered, first followed by the groom and his brother, Mr. Howard Burke of Houston, as best man; then down the stairway on the opposite side of the reception hall came the bridesmaids, Misses Dagmar Lunn of Houston and Grace Pierce of Palacios, both first cousins of the bride, followed by Miss Frances Poole, sister of the bride, as maid of honor. The bridesmaids were joined at the parlor door by the groomsmen, Mr. Donald Poole, brother of the bride, and Mr. James Lewis of Markham, the wedding party forming a beautiful    ?   before the background of green. Coming next down the stairway, looking like little fairies, were the ring bearer, little Miss Rachel Selfridge, and the flower girl, little Miss Beatrice Poole, scattering rose petals in the path of the bride who entered on the arm of her father.

The bride, who is one of Bay City’s fairest daughters, never looked lovlier than on this occasion, her gown being an exquisite creation of white embroidered chiffon, crepe charmeuse, with trimmings of silk shadow lace, girdle of pressy-willow taffeta and pearl ornaments. A veil of tulle, arranged crown fashion, with wreath of orange blossoms, reached to the end of the pointed train, and she carried a shower bouquet of bride’s roses and lilies of the valley. A beautiful bar pin of platinum set with diamonds, the gift of the groom, was the only ornament worn.

The pink and white motif was reflected in the toilets of the maids, a noticeable feature of all the gowns being the Medici collars.

The maid of honor was gowned in oriental chiffon, pink taffeta and silk shadow lace, her bouquet being an arm cluster of pink Killarney roses, white rose buds and ferns.

The bridesmaids wore dainty embroidered chiffon with touches of pink taffeta and silk shadow lace and carried arm clusters of pink roses and ferns.

The ring bearer wore a lovely white lingere frock with pink sash and carried the ring in a pink rose and the little flower girl was also in dainty white with pink ribbons and carried a pink basket tied with tulle.

The groom and attendants were attired in conventional black full dress suits.

Mrs. Poole, mother of the bride, wore black chantilly lace over white charmeuse.

Mrs. Lunn was gowned in white embroidery crepe de chine, chantilly lace, girdle of tango taffeta.

Mrs. Pierce wore a gown of brocaded chiffon, silk shadow lace accessories of cream charmeuse.

Mrs. Freeman’s gown was white embroidered voile with hand-made lace.

The house party included: Misses Mamie Rose of Hollywood, Cal.; Janie Soffin, Blum, Texas; Margaret Zuber, Bryan; Norinne Gardner and Grace Pierce, Palacios; Reba Rugeley, Matagorda; Mollie Belle Matthews, Glen Flora; Lucy and Leone Yerxa, Buckeye; Dagmar Lunn, Houston; Lalla King, Lake Austin; Mr. and Mrs. Howard Burke, Houston; Mr. and Mrs. Manford Barber, Austin; Mrs. Ed Lunn, Houston; Mrs. J. P. Pierce, Palacios; Mr. and Mrs. N. W. Freeman, Minneapolis, Minn.;’ Mr. and Mrs. T. J. Poole, Jr.

The bride’s bouquet was caught by Miss Rose of California.

Mr. and Mrs. J. P. Keller assisted in receiving and entertaining.

During the reception which followed the ceremony, brick ice cream and cake in the prevailing colors were served and in the library punch was served at a prettily appointed table by Misses Louise Poole and Gloria Norvell.

During the evening Mrs. Ford’s magnificent voice was heard in a number of selections and Miss Pauline Huebner, who is one of Bay City’s most talented musicians, rendered several vocal and instrumental selections; other appreciative numbers were given by Misses Zuber, Gardner and McLendon.

Many costly and beautiful gifts, which beggar description, were received, attesting the high esteem in which this happy couple is held; among gifts being a baby grand Steinway piano, the gift of the bride’s parents.

The bride’s gifts to her attendants were a gold hair clasp set with sapphires to the maid of honor; gold bar pins set with pearls and amethysts to the bridesmaids, and to Misses Zuber, Gardner and King bar pins with topaz and pearl settings, and the ring bearer and flower girl gold pins set with pearls.

The groom’s gifts to his attendants were gold monogrammed scarf pins.

Mr. and Mrs. Burke quietly store away and went by auto to Buckeye where they boarded the morning train for a sojourn of several weeks in Balsam, North Carolina, and from there will go to Chattanooga, Tenn., for the remainder of the summer with Mr. Burke’s mother.

The bride’s going away gown was a suit of blue silk poplin chiffon waist and bronze hat and slippers.                                                                            

The Daily Tribune
, June 18, 1914
 


BUTTER – THOMPSON

Married, at the residence of the bride’s father, Captain Fred Thompson, on upper Bay Front, Wednesday morning, Miss Mary Thompson and Mr. Wiley J. Butter. The impressive ceremony of the Catholic church was used by Father Montreuil in uniting for life this happy young couple. The groom is a son of Frank Butter of St. Francisville, and one of the thrifty young farmers of that community, and took his bride to his new home near Wadsworth. The bride and groom have hosts of friends who extend congratulations and wishes for a long life of unalloyed happiness.

Only the immediate families of the contracting parties and a very few friends were present at the nuptials.                                 

The Matagorda News & Midcoast Farmer
, October 24, 1913
 


BRUCE - SWINGE

Married, at the home of the bride’s mother, Mrs. Pryor, in Houston, on August 4, Miss Media Swinge to Mr. Max Bruce. Mr. and Mrs. Bruce left immediately for Palacios to visit his parents, after which they will be at home in Houston.

The above announcement is heralded with much pleasure by the many Palacios friends of Max. He is the son of Mr. and Mrs. L. Bruce and made this city his home for a number of years. He is an energetic and deserving a young man and all wish for him and his charming young bride all the happiness and success there is to be gained in this life.

Palacios Beacon, August 15, 1929
 


BYERS – LEDFORD

Miss Velma Ledford and Robert Byers were married last Saturday, high noon, in Bay City, Rev. Rainer, pastor of the First Baptist Church, officiating. The ceremony was solemnized in the Pastorium and only a few relatives and immediate friends of the contracting parties were present. The young couple is well known in Palacios and have many good wishes for their future. They will make their home for the present in Palacios.

Palacios Beacon, February 28, 1929
 


CABBINESS - ATKINS

Miss Alleen Atkins, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Sid Atkins, of this city, and Mr. W. B. Cabbiness, of Longview, Texas, were united in marriage on Saturday afternoon at 5 o’clock, Rev. J. A. Derrrick, pastor of the First Baptist Church, officiating. The ceremony occurred at the home of the bride and was witnessed by members of the family and a few near friends. The newly weds will spend a couple of weeks here, after which they will go to Longview to visit the groom’s parents and where they will make their home. We join their numerous friends in hearty felicitations.

Palacios Beacon, July 26, 1928
 


CALHOUN - PATTERSON

Clarence Calhoun, formerly of Matagorda, but at present of Corpus Christi, and Miss Elva Ray Patterson of Matagorda were united in the holy bonds of matrimony at the home of the bride with Rev. S. H. Innes officiating. Only near relatives and a few close friends were present. After the bride's cake, the best ever, and delicious fruit punch was served the happy pair left for a honeymoon trip to Carlsbad Caverns, New Mexico, after which they will go to Corpus Christi where they will reside. Many good wishes follow this popular young couple as they launch out together on the highway of life.

Matagorda County Tribune, August 29, 1937
 


ELABORATE CHURCH WEDDING

Callaway – Stanford

The large auditorium of the Methodist church was filled Monday afternoon with the friends and invited guests to witness the marriage of Mr. Robt. W. Callaway and Miss Nannie Stanford, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. G. W. Stanford, the ceremony being performed by the pastor of the church,  Rev. A. B. Myers.

The church was handsomely decorated, the color scheme being pink and white, and was done by the Philathea class of the Sunday school, of which the bride is an esteemed member. A large white bell was suspended above the pulpit platform, beneath which the marriage vows were taken. Miss Nannie Truitt, also a classmate of the bride, played Mendelssohn’s Wedding March as the bridal party entered the church and marched to the hymenial altar. The bridesmaid, Miss Frances Martin, wore a most becoming gown of pink crepe de chine, the bridegroom and best man, Mr. Ray Dow, appearing in the conventional black. Lille Misses Adelaide Callaway and Pearl Hooper were the flower girls. The ceremony was performed promptly at one o’clock in the afternoon, and immediately thereafter the newly wedded pair left by auto for Blessing, taking the afternoon train for Houston for a few days honeymoon. They will return the first of next week and make their home at Palacios.

The bride was given a miscellaneous shower by the Philathea class at the home of Mrs. H. C. Hunt Tuesday afternoon, receiving many appropriate and valuable gifts and besides was the recipient of a large number of handsome wedding presents from friends and relatives.

Mr. and Mrs. Callaway are among the best known and most popular of the young people of the city, all of whom are glad to be listed among their friends, and who join in wishing them the fullest measure of happiness the marriage relation can bestow, and a long, prosperous and useful life.

Palacios Beacon, April 9, 1915
 


SISK-CAPT MARRIAGE

At the Baptist Church last Wednesday morning, Miss Donie Sisk was united in marriage to Mr. E. E. Capt of Port Arthur, Rev. O. B. Falls, pastor of the Baptist Church, officiating. Miss Sisk is the daughter of Mr. C. L. J. Sisk an old citizen of Bay City, and the bride is one of the favorites of the city, popular in social and useful in religious circles. The groom is a young business man who for some months was agent of the Texas Oil Co., at this place, and occupies a similar position now at Port Arthur, where their home will be.

The Matagorda County News and Midcoast Farmer, June 18, 1915
 


CARPENTER – PERKINS

The Methodist parsonage was the scene of an early morning wedding Wednesday when at 6 o’clock Miss Alice Perkins was united in marriage to Mr. Charles R. Carpenter, of Bay City, Rev. F. E. Kluck saying the words that united the lives and destinies of these young people.

A reception was held at the home of the bride’s parents west of town, for relatives and near friends.

Mr. and Mrs. Carpenter will make their home in Angleton and have the best wishes of a host of friends with whom we join.

Palacios Beacon, June 21, 1934
 


LAWSON – CARRINGTON

A surprise awaited Capt. J. C. Carrington and his wife when they reached Freeport Monday. Their son, Henry, had wired them to meet him there to say good-by before his return to Tampico, Mexico, where he is employed by one of Texas’ large oil companies. On their arrival they were told they had been summoned to Henry’s wedding to Miss Cleo Lawson, which was to take place that day. The wedding was a very quiet affair only the relatives and immediate friends of the contracting parties being present. After congratulation, Mr. and Mrs. Carrington departed for Houston where they took passage on a steamer direct for Tampico.

The bride is one of Freeport’s most lovable young ladies, and has many friends at that place who regret to see her go so far away. The groom was raised and educated in Bay City and has been employed as civil engineer in the Tampico oil field for several years. His many friends here extend to him and his bride congratulations and best wishes.

Matagorda County News & Midcoast Farmer, June 16, 1916
 


A WEDDING WHICH BROUGHT A BEAUTIFUL DAY
Cates – Kilbride

The marriage of Miss Helen Kilbride and Mr. Craig Cates was celebrated yesterday afternoon at three o’clock at St. Mark’s Episcopal Church, the Reverend John Sloan officiating. For an hour before that set, the ushers, Dr. S. R. Sholars, Mr. Pierce Hamilton of Matagorda and Mr. Wayman Peareson of San Antonio, found themselves fully occupied in seating the friends and acquaintances who thronged to the church, and who enjoyed in the interval the cool beauty and artistic setting of green and white, with the soft glow of pink within the chancel.

The christening font, within the doors, showed a mass of sprengiri sprinkled with the fragile white star of Bethlehem, which played an exquisite part through the decorations. The pews for the relatives were reserved by scarfs of intertwined white and green maline, and the approach to the chancel was marked by palms, graduating into groups of trailing fern, star scattered, and stately white lilies tinged with pink. The pulpit, veiled in green, held pink asters and lilies, the choir rail was in the same blending shades, and everywhere were the massed ferns. White asters alone shone from the altar, beneath the plumose-draped frame of the reredos.

The altar candles were lighted by Richard Gaines as the hour pealed forth, and the first notes of the lily-decked organ softly stole out, announcing the presence of Miss Lucille Ruckman in the chancel. The dainty pink lily effect of Miss Ruckman’s attire merged with perfection into the whole, but scarcely prepared the waiting listeners for the splendid tones of her contralto which rang out in D’Hardelot’s triumphant Because.

Its last note sank into the mysterious beauty of the Lohengrin wedding chorus, played by Mrs. E. L. Hawkins, and Mr. Cates, accompanied by his cousin, Mr. Clifton Cates, of Tennessee, came from the vestry, while Miss Cornelia Mayfield, as maid of honor, preceeded the bride and her father, Mr. E. J. Kilbride, up the aisle. Miss Mayfield wore the smartest of gowns in green and black chiffon taffeta, with yoke, sleeves and castellated hem of green chiffon, and a drooping black velvet hat shaded the flower face. Her roses and fern, tied with wide pink arm bouquet was of pink Killarny satin streamers.

The bonny bride, who charmed even the sulky sky into smiles, was in her going-away gown of dark blue chiffon broadcloth, belted by mahogany silk cording, ending in heavy mahogany and blue tassels, the whole being relieved by the colored embroidery in tone about the military collar, cuffs and pocket, and the delicate pink of the blouse. Her hat was a close fitting blue velvet toque, embossed by three outspread bluebirds, winging to happiness. The bouquet was of bride roses and maidenhair, with tube roses on showers of pink gauze ribbon, and held together by a white chiffon scarf. Sand-colored boots and lighter gloves complemented the costume, and we who love her thought her at her fairest.

The searching beauty and solemnity of the service, initiated at the chancel and continued through the giving by the father of the daughter in marriage, completed itself at the altar rail in the pledges and the marriage benediction, and to the swell of the Mendelssohns’ march, they left the altar.

The white satin cushion upon which the pair knelt was from the skilful hands of those who cared for the bride, and the stole worn by the officiating priest was the gift of her handiwork by Mrs. Holt, grandmother of the bride, to Mr. Sloan upon his assuming charge here many years ago, and it is now a valued relic. The book from which the service was read was presented to the young couple by the rector, having been sighed throughout by the three.

A rice-laden throng pursued the couple to the station, where there were some moist eyes, but more merriment. Miss Eleanor Jones made the fortunate catch of the bridal bouquet; and little Eugene Wilson provided the legendary good luck with a small and ancient piece of foot gear, which fell on the platform as the train rolled out.

Mr. and Mrs. Cates today reach Biloxi, Miss., and later go to their home in Tiptonville, Tenn.

Hally Bryan Perry                      

The
Matagorda County Tribune, August 27, 1915
 


PALACIOS YOUNG PEOPLE MARRY IN CORSICANA

Chamblee – Langford

The ceremony uniting the lives and destinies of two of our popular and worthy young people took place in Corsicana, Texas on last Tuesday, May 29, when Mr. Clarence Chamblee and Miss Isora Langford were made man and wife. The nuptial vows were taken at nine o’clock that morning at the home of the officiating minister, F. C. Conway, an old friend of the bride’s family, who is pastor of one of the Baptist churches in Corsicana. After congratulations and best wishes had been extended by those present the happy young couple went to Glen Rose and Dawson to visit relatives of the bride, returning home by way of Houston, reaching here Thursday night and immediately went to their own home which Clarence had made in readiness for their occupancy some days previous, which is the cottage on Morton Ave., recently occupied by the Piarette family.

Mrs. Chamblee has lived in Palacios the greater part of her life, moving here with her parents when quite young, attended our schools and is a graduate of P. H. S. For the past several years she has been an able and efficient assistant in the Ruthven Grocery and numbers her friends by all who know her.

Mr. Chamblee is the son of Mr. and Mrs. Jack Chamblee, one of our most prosperous rural families and assisted his father on the farm until he and his brother leased the Texas Company Filling Station more than a year ago. He has been very successful in his business, is genial and accommodating and well liked by the general public with which he has dealings. In fact Clarence and Isora are favorites with all and have the best wishes of the entire community with whom the Beacon gladly joins.

Palacios Beacon, June 7, 1928
 


CHAMBLEE – JOHNSON

Mr. and Mrs. Guy Johnson announce the marriage of their daughter, Ruby Lee, to Clifford Chamblee, on January 17, 1935, at two o’clock p.m., in Galveston, Texas.

This wedding is the culmination of a romantic courtship and had been anticipated for some time by the many friends of these young people, yet their hieing (sic) away to Galveston for the event caused a bit of surprise.

The bride is one of our popular girls. She is a graduate of the Palacios High School and for the past eighteen months has been an efficient and courteous assistant at the post office, and will continue her work there she informs us.

The groom is a son of Mr. and Mrs. Jack Chamblee of northeast of town, and is now looking after his father’s farm.

Mr. and Mrs. Chamblee have a host of friends with whom we join in extending them congratulations and best wishes.

Palacios Beacon, January 31, 1935
 


CHAPMAN – DARBY

At the home of Mr. and Mrs. Darby in the northeast part of the city, Miss Maude Darby and Mr. Perry A. Chapman of Dona, Texas, were united in the sacred ties of matrimony in the presence of a goodly company of friends.

These amiable young people will make their home in our good city and contribute their strong young lives toward making a better church a community life for themselves and all they may.

May the happy cheer and good will under which they begin life ever attend them. The Tribune joins with its congratulations and welcome them to our growing and goodly city.

The Matagorda County Tribune, December 29, 1911
 


CHASTIAN – BASHOR

Married at Galveston on June 7, by Rev. J. L. Dickson, Miss Georgia A. Bashor of this city, and Mr. James H. Chastian of Ashwood, this county. Mr. Chastian [Chastun] was a successful truck grower at Ashwood up to a year ago, when he went to Houston to accept a position with the Santa Fe. The bridal couple left on a tour of the state. The News-Farmer joins many friends of the groom in congratulations and wishes for a long life of happiness.

Matagorda County News & Midcoast Farmer, June 9, 1916
 


CHITWOOD – EISEL

Mr. John Ross Chitwood of the United North and South Development Company’s force and Miss Frances Loretta Eisel, the charming daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Harry Eisel of Marshall, and formerly of Collegeport, were united in Marriage at the First Methodist Church in Shreveport, La., last Thursday, Nov. 9 at high noon, the Rev. Anges Smith, pastor of the Shreveport Methodist Church, officiating.

Mr. and Mrs. Chitwood left Shreveport immediately after their marriage and visited briefly with her people in Marshall. They returned to Bay City Saturday and are making their home at the Welch Apartments, Avenue I and Third.

The groom has been in the city since his company began operations at Buckeye over two years ago and has made many friends here. The bride was reared in Collegeport and is a splendid young lady of many attainments. She has been quite a favorite amongst her associates and her acquaintances.

Mr. and Mrs. Chitwood have the hearty wishes of all and are receiving a cordial welcome to the citizenship of the city.                                

The Matagorda County Tribune
, November 16, 1933
 


CHRISTIE – PASAL

Mr. and Mrs. E. C. Pasal announce the marriage of their daughter, Miss Mable, to Mr. A. B. Christie, of Houston, which took place at the First Baptist church in San Antonio, Saturday, August 18. Mr. Christie has employment in the Alamo city and the newly weds are now located at 115½ Rigsby Ave., where they will make their home. Mrs. Christie has a host of friends in Palacios with whom we join in extending heartiest congratulations.

Palacios Beacon, August 30, 1934
 


CLEMENT – MORROW

An item of local interest that failed to reach the Beacon in time for publication last week was the announcement of the marriage of our popular fellowtownsman, none other than William H. Clement, Jr. to Miss Mary Morrow, who quietly slipped off on the evening of Feb. 20, to Edna, where the wedding was solemnized. Dr. W. R. Dickey, pastor of the First Presbyterian Church of that city and a close friend of the young couple performed the ceremony.

The bride, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. R. H. Morrow, of Lolita, is accomplished and well fitted for a helpmate. The groom, a son of Mr. and Mrs. W. H. Clement of this city, known to us all as “Bill,” and the efficient service man for the Central Power and Light Company, a position he has held ever since this company began to serve Palacios and was an assistant at the City Light Plant several years prior to that.

They are two of our most worthy young people and are so well and favorably known throughout this entire section we’re saying no more except to join their many friends in extending congratulations and wishes for them all the happiness and success that can possibly come into their lives.

Palacios Beacon, March 1, 1934
 


COLE – CATES

Wednesday evening at the home of the bride’s mother, Mrs. C. R. Cates, Mr. Grady Cole, of Bishop, this state, a ministerial student at the Baptist academy, and Miss Rachael Cates, were united in wedlock by Rev. R. T. Hanks, pastor of the Baptist church. The wedding was private. Those present besides members of the family were Mrs. Bell and daughter Myrle and son Roy; Mr. H. H. Stagg and sister Miss Myrtle, and Mr. Nixon Shrader.

This wedding came as a most complete surprise to the friends of the young couple―and they number many since both are well known and popular and greatly esteemed by the people of the whole city. Mr. and Mrs. Cole will make their home at Palacios for the present at least. The Beacon joins with their many admiring friends in hearty congratulations and well wishes for abundance of all that goes to make life happy, prosperous and useful.

Palacios Beacon, December 24, 1915
 


CONWAY – GIBSON

MARRIED. At the residence of Henry Gibson, on the 13th inst., by Rev. C. H. Albert, R. Conway, of New Orleans, to Miss Mary Gibson, of this place.

The Matagorda Gazette, December 25, 1858
 


COOK – BRISTER

Mr. Ward Cook, son of Mr. and Mrs. S. F. Cook, of this city, and Miss Emley Brister, of the Prairie Center community, were married Saturday night, April 20, at the home of the officiating minister, Rev. F. E. Kluck. Ward is well and favorably known, a baker of much experience and is now employed at Arnold’s. He and his bride will make their home with his sister, Mrs. Esther Smith.

Their many friends extend hearty congratulations.

Palacios Beacon, May 2, 1935
 


MONGOMERY – CORNELIUS

From Wednesday’s Daily.

The marriage of Mr. Young Cornelius of Markham and Miss Ruth Mongomery of this city was celebrated at the First Methodist Church Sunday afternoon, June 6th, at 1:15 o’clock, Rev. Jas. F. Carter, the pastor of the church, officiating.

The wedding was attended by a large company of admiring friends of both the bride and bridegroom and the presence of so large a gathering was a mute testimonial of the widespread popularity of the couple.

At the appointed hour the twain entered the church and approached the chancel rail to the strains of the wedding march, as beautifully rendered by Mrs. Matchette. Prior to this however Mrs. Davis sang, the accompanying music being played by Miss Bettie McLendon.

The bride is one of Bay City’s most excellent and highly esteemed young ladies, while the bridegroom is a popular young stockman of Markham. Mr. and Mrs. Cornelius are now away on their bridal tour and will later be at home at Markham.

The Tribune joins a host of friends in extending cordial well wishes.

The Matagorda County Tribune, June 11, 1915
 


COWIE – URBAN

Married at the home of the bride’s parents, Mr. and Mrs. B. A. Urban, in this city, on the 15th, Mr. Alexander S. Cowie of Magnet and Miss Karoline Urban, Rev. John Sloan officiating. Mr. Cowie is a civil engineer in the employ of the Taylor Fowler Land Co. The newly wedded couple will make their home in San Francisco.

Matagorda County News & Midcoast Farmer, January 23, 1914
 


Cox-Bloss

Announcement is made of the marriage of Mr. Frederick Dayle Cox, grandson, of Mr. and Mrs. M. I. Cox of Palacios, to Miss Delores Bloss, of Temple, Texas, on Sunday, December 22.

The marriage took place in the Memorial Baptist Church and was a double ceremony, as a brother of Miss Bloss and Miss Dixie Ruth Webster was the other bridal couple.

A reception was held following the ceremony at the educational building of the church. White gladioli and candles were used in decorating and twin lace covered bridal tables, featuring three-tired wedding cakes topped with miniature brides and grooms. Gifts for the couples were displayed on tables on either side of a decorated Christmas tree.

Among the guests from out-of-town were Mr. and Mrs. T. I. Cox, of Palacios. Mrs. Cox was an honor graduate of Temple High School and Temple Junior College and was a member of Delta Psi Omega at Mary Hardin Baylor College. Mr. Cox is a graduate of the Palacios High School and is now a partner in the Palacios Bakery.

After a wedding trip to Austin and Longhorn Cavern, Mr. and Mrs. Cox returned to Palacios and expect to make this city their future home.

Palacios Beacon, January 7, 1947
 


COYLE - WATERS

The marriage of Miss Anita Waters and Dr. Edward Coyle was solemnized in Palacios in the Presbyterian church Easter Sunday morning. The altar of the church had been transformed into a beautiful garden―a bower of roses, white and pink, on trellised arches with beautiful bouquets of Easter lilies interspersed, and with a background of grey moss.

In spite of the weather, a number of friends from Bay City and Palacios assembled in the church at the appointed time, 7:45 a.m. They were ushered to their places by Dr. Donald Ruthven, of Houston, and Mr. W. R. Campbell, of Markham. Mrs. Carlton Crawford, of Palacios, sang in her own charming manner, “At Dawning,” accompanied by Miss Claire Partain of Palacios. Mrs. Crawford wore an attractive gown of rose satin, and Miss Partain a very pretty blue georgette. Both wore picture hats. After the solo Miss Partain rendered “The Venetian Love Song” very beautifully. To the strains of Lohengrin’s wedding march the wedding party entered. Miss Clara Ifland, of Galveston, the maid of honor, was dressed in a beautiful gown of orchid crepe romaine, and wore a large pink picture hat. She carried a bouquet of pink rosebuds. Dr. L. L. D. Tuttle, of Houston, was best man. The little ring bearer, Master Eugene Koerber, of Palacios, carried the ring in an Easter Lily. Mary Jo Beazell, of Indianapolis, Ind., was the dainty little flower girl. Miss Waters, dressed in an exquisite gown of egg-shell chiffon, wearing a large beige picture hat with flowers of pastel shades on both the hat and the dress and with shoes to harmonize, carrying a beautiful bouquet of shell pink rosebuds, came in on the arm of her father. Rev. G. F. Gillespie, pastor of the Presbyterian church in Palacios, met the bridal party at the altar, and in a very impressive ceremony, during which Miss Partain played very softly “To a Wild Flower,” these two excellent young people were united in marriage. They left the altar to the joyful strains of Mendelssohn’s “Wedding March.”

Miss Anita Waters was reared in Palacios and Bay City, and is one of the most charming young ladies of these towns. She has drawn to herself by her unselfish, lovely character a host of friends.

Dr. Edward Coyle is the son of a practicing physician of San Antonio, and is a partner with his father.

The friends of the couple wish for them many, many years of happy wedded life.

Palacios Beacon, April 12, 1928
 


CRAWFORD – MILES

Mr. C. M. Crawford of Dallas and Mrs. Charlsie Miles of Bay City were quietly married Wednesday afternoon at the home of the bride’s parents in Palacios, Rev. G. T. Storey, of Bay City, performing the ceremony.

The bride is a daughter of Mr. and Mrs. J. W. Crawford of this city and has a host of friends who wish her all happiness.

The groom is a prominent young Dallasite of sterling worth and ability.

Shortly after the ceremony the happy couple left, via Blessing, for Galveston where they will spend a few days before going to their new home in Dallas.

Palacios Beacon, August 23, 1918
 


CRAWFORD – ROSE

The following article taken from the Cameron Herald will no doubt be of interest to many of our readers, as Mr. Crawford is the son of our Mr. and Mrs. J. W. Crawford and is well and favorably known in this city.

Last Friday morning, August 22nd, at 10:30 o’clock at the home of the bride’s mother, Mrs. Glennie M. Rose of Dallas, occurred the marriage of Miss Ruth A. Rose and Mr. J. Noris Crawford. Amid beautiful decorations, the impressive ring ceremony was rendered by Dr. William M. Anderson, senior pastor of the First Presbyterian church of Dallas. Before the bridal party entered, “I Love You Truly,” was sung by Mrs. C. N. Crawford, accompanied by Mrs. John N. Harris, who also played the wedding march. The bride was attended by her matron of honor, Mrs. Frank Shannon, while M. Shannon served as best man to the bridegroom.

The young couple left immediately after the ceremony for Houston and other South Texas points.

This wedding was the culmination of a pretty romance which started in Cameron last year and is of special interest to Cameron people. The bride was a popular member of last year’s high school faculty and has endeared herself in the hearts of the people who knew her. She was an accomplished musician, and has added much to the musical and social life of the town.

The groom has lived in Cameron the past few months, having accepted the principalship of our high school just after he received his discharge from the army last Christmas. He is a splendid young man and has made a host of friends in the city. Besides his efficient work in school he has made a great success in the organization of our orchestra and band.

The Herald joins with the people of Cameron in wishing for this young couple a long and happy life together.

Palacios Beacon, September 19, 1919
 


CRAYMER – DOSS

Thursday evening, February the eight, at the home of the bride’s parents in Nashville, Tenn., occurred the marriage of Miss Lillian Doss, of Nashville, to Mr. Loring G. Craymer, of Palacios.

The happy young people arrived in Palacios Monday and are at home to their friends in their charming little home near the Academy. The Beacon joins in congratulations.

********

Mr. and Mrs. Newton B. Doss gave in marriage last evening at their home, on Haleyon avenue, their daughter, Lillian, to Mr. Loring Grant Craymer, of Palacios, Tex. The ceremony was read at 8:30 o’clock by Rev. T. A. Kerley, pastor of the Waverly Place Methodist church. The bridal party was grouped about an altar of ferns, palms and stands of roses which had been erected in the living room. Miss Rose McGregor played the wedding music and Mrs. Moscow Brown and Mrs. John Moody sang appropriate love lyrics. The bride had as her maid of honor her sister, Miss Lera Doss, and the two little ribbon bearers, Lillian Doss and Jean Reid, completed the bridal party. The bride wore a modish traveling suit of blue cloth, with hat to harmonize, and her flowers were bride roses. Miss Doss wore a beautiful gown of tan hand-embroidered crepe meteor and her flowers were Richmond roses. The children in the party wore white organdy frocks with blue accessories. Mr. and Mrs. Craymer left immediately after the ceremony for their future home in Palacios, Tex., where the groom is prominent in business and social circles. The bride has a host of friends who regret that she will make her home in another city.―Daily Nashville Tennessean, Feb. 9.

Palacios Beacon, February 16, 1917
 


CREECH – SUTHERLAND

Mr. S. S. Creech and Miss Florence Sutherland of this city, surprised their many friends yesterday by going over to Wharton and getting married. After the ceremony the young couple returned to their home in Bay City where they will reside in the future, and are now at home to their friends at the residence of Mr. and Mrs. John Sutherland.

The groom is the junior member of The Bay City Auto Co., and is a young man of sterling worth and character. He is a faithful worker, a competent machinist and through his constant application to business and quiet determined efforts has made for himself a good reputation and gathered around him many strong personal friends.

The bride is the daughter of Mayor and Mrs. John Sutherland, is popular young lady and likewise is possessed with a large circle of friends.

The Tribune wishes Mr. and Mrs. Creech a happy and prosperous voyage through life.

The Matagorda County Tribune, September 15, 1911
 


BERG – CROW

Married at St. Mathews Cathedral, Dallas, October 11, 1916, Miss Lila Berg to Mr. F. H. Crow, of that city. Miss Lila is a daughter of Mr. and Mrs. John H. Berg, of the Bay View Hotel, Matagorda, and has been in Dallas several months completing her musical education. She is a charming young lady, and hosts of friends at Matagorda will feel that the happy groom, whom we do not know, has won a delightful prize in the matrimonial gift concert. We extend congratulations to the happy couple.

Matagorda County News & Midcoast Farmer, October 20, 1916
 


CULVER –MURDOCK

Matagorda, Texas, July 1.―At 9:30 o’clock Wednesday evening, June 26, 1918, Mr. Arthur Stewart Culver and Miss Minnie Murdock were married at the Methodist Church, Rev. Granville Storey of Bay City performing the ceremony.

The little edifice was full of guests to overflowing and looked very pretty in its decorations of potted ferns, trailing evergreen vines and Shasta daisies.

Preceding the ceremony Mrs. Brown sang in dulcet tones “I Love You!” immediately after which the bridal party entered the church to Lohengrin played by Mrs. J. N. Ryman.

Marching first up the aisle was the usher, Calvin Baker, then the male attendants, Messrs. Ned Culver and Wadsworth Rugeley, the bride’s maids, Misses Mary Williford and Marie Zipprian, following them and last and most important were the bride and groom.

Each of the ladies carried arm bouquets of Shasta daisies and the circle of young people formed a pretty picture as they took their places around the altar.

In a few words the happy pair were soon made one, and before one could realize it hardly they were on their way to their present home at Simpsonville, followed by a big lot of automobiles conveying about 50 friends to their home with them. After sumptuous wedding refreshments, music and conversation the guests returned to Matagorda, leaving the happy pair in their comfortable country home where it is hoped they will spend many happy hours together.

Mr. Culver is the elder son of Mr. and Mrs. Geo. B. Culver, one of our prominent Matagorda families, is a young man of sterling worth and ever since his return from Coronal Institute at San Marcos he has been his father’s right hand bower in the cattle business.

Miss Murdock is the charming daughter of Mr. Tom Murdock, who, although his present home is in this place, owns extensive herds of cattle and lands in West Texas.

This popular young couple had the best wishes of their friends for a long life of usefulness and prosperity.

Matagorda County Tribune, July 5, 1918
 


FORMER PALACIOS GIRL MARRIES IN MCALLEN

Cumpton - Law

Miss Lucille Law, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. A. H. Law, McAllen, and Hunter Cumpton, Demopolis, Alabama, were united in marriage at a quiet ceremony here Wednesday evening, December 26th.

Miss Law is a popular member of the younger set here.

Mr. and Mrs. Cumpton left immediately following the ceremony for Alabama, where they will make their home.―McAllen Daily Press.

The bride formerly lived in Palacios and has numerous friends here with whom the Beacon joins in extending congratulations.

Palacios Beacon, January 10, 1935
 

A - C          D - G          H - L         M - Q           R - Z


 

Copyright 2008 - Present by Carol Sue Gibbs
All rights reserved

Created
Jan. 1, 2008
Updated
Feb. 4, 2013
   

HOME