MATAGORDA COUNTY WEDDING ARTICLES

H - L

Listed alphabetically by grooms.

A - C          D - G          H - L         M - Q           R - Z

Bride Index

 


HAFER – RUBY

Mr. W. C. Wright, business manager of the Tribune, received a letter from Mr. H. W. Hafer, of this city, but who is in Galveston for a few days, in which Mr. Hafer states that he was united in marriage to Miss Alta Ruby, of that city on the 23rd ultimo.

The Matagorda County Tribune, July 7, 1911
 


HALL - EADS

Dan Cupid is quite an adept in the gentle art of archery. He aims his arrows where he pleases and none are safe from his attacks. One of his most recent victims was a well known and well loved lady of Palacios, named Eleanor B. Eads. When she plucked the arrow from her heart to see whom was the sender, she discovered the name of Charles Henry Hall, of Greenville, Mich.

Mr. Hall is no stranger to Palacios and needs no introduction as he had spent the last seven or eight winters here in our midst. He is a gentleman of sterling character, well liked by all who know him.

Knowing the futility of trying to escape the coils of Cupid she consented to meet Mr. Hall in Bay City on June 6, where they were married at the Presbyterian Church, at 10 a.m. The vows were read by Rev. G. F. Gillespie, pastor of the Presbyterian church of Palacios. The ceremony was very impressive and beautiful. The bride was very charming and beautifully dressed in an ensemble suit of Roseglow Boucle with accessories to match.

Palacios will miss Mrs. Hall and is loath to give her up by what is our loss is Greenville’s gain and we feel sure she will soon win a host of friends there who will learn to love her too.

Those present at the wedding from Palacios were her daughter, Mrs. Pearl Shuey, Mrs. Mitchell, Miss Turner, Mrs. Minich, Mr. Holliday, Mr. and Mrs. O. C. Arnold.

Mr. and Mrs. Hall will be at home in Greenville, Mich., after a wedding trip including Houston, Galveston, and Chicago, where they will visit Mr. Hall’s son.

The Beacon joins the host of friends in wishing for the newly-weds a long life of joy and happiness.

Palacios Beacon, June 7, 1928
 


BARRETT – HALLIDAY

Mr. Carl Halliday and Miss Lelia Barrett were united in the holy bonds of matrimony in Bay City last Thursday. The young couple were accompanied by the bride’s father, Henry Barrett, uncle B. E. Sailor and Mrs. Elbert Barrett. They are now “at home” in the Iuka House.

The bride is the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. H. M. Barrett, who came here from Pampa, Texas, early last fall and is popular with the young people of her circle.

The groom is a son of Mr. and Mrs. G. R. Halliday of this city, well and favorably known. The Beacon joins the many friends of these young people with hearty congratulations and best wishes.

Palacios Beacon, December 22, 1927
 


HALLICK – GOLA

Married, at the residence of the bride’s father, Mr. Louis Gola, near Wadsworth, Miss Katie  Gola and Mr. John Hallick―Father Mantreuil officiating.

Matagorda County News & Midcoast Farmer, January 23, 1914
 


HANKS – MAGEE

Palacios Beacon.—On Saturday, June 28, at 12 o'clock, Mrs. Kitty Magee was united in marriage to Dr. R. T. Hanks. Saturday was chosen, following the example of our president's daughter, so the bride explained.

A few neighbors and friends were granted the privilege of witnessing the ceremony, also the bride's sister-in-law and a niece who were here visiting at the time, which was performed by Rev. Echols.

The bride looked very charming in her smart traveling suit and the groom looked equally as elegant.

Immediately after the ceremony and extending congratulations and best wishes, the wedding party went out of the Old Minister's Home where they enjoyed a sumptuous repast.

Dr. and Mrs. Hanks then went to Bay City where Dr. Hanks preached at the morning service of the Fifth Sunday meeting.

The happy couple will be gone for a week or ten days, after which they will be at home at the bride's residence on the Bay Front.

These are two of Palacios' most popular and estimable citizens and the Beacon takes great pleasure in wishing for them, with their legion of friends, a long and happy married life.

The Matagorda County Tribune, July 11, 1919
 


HARBISON – JENSEN

Mr. Chas. Harbison and Miss Susie Jensen, daughter of Mr. Peter Jensen, were quietly married at the home of J. J. Rice, near the academy, Tuesday evening, Rev. G. W. Curtis officiating. Immediately after the ceremony the newly-wedded went to Mr. Harbison’s home west of Turtle bay. This young couple are well known and have many good friends in the Turtle bay neighborhood, who join with the Beacon in offering hearty congratulations and well wishes.

Palacios Beacon, June 4, 1915
 


WEDDING BELLS

Harbison – Osburn

A very pretty wedding took place at the home of the bride’s parents, Mr. and Mrs. M. F. Osburn, Sunday, February 15, 1914, at three p.m., when their daughter, Edna, was married to Mr. James Harbison, Rev. Myers, pastor of the Methodist church officiating. Relatives of the bride and groom and a few intimate friends witnessed the ceremony.

The bride was gowned in pale blue brocaded tussah veiled with shadow lace. Miss Osburn is the second daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Osburn, moving to this country about a year ago from Kansas. Mr. Harbison having lived in this country for several years and being one of our prosperous teachers. These worthy young people will go to housekeeping at once on a farm west of Turtle bay while Mr. Harbison will finish teaching his term of school near Dutchberg [Deutschburg].

The Beacon joins with their many friends wishing them a long and happy married life.

Palacios Beacon, February 20, 1914
 


DOUBLE WEDDING

MISSES EDITH AND AUDREY CLEMENT ARE BRIDES AT BEAUTIFUL WEDDING

Hardy – Clement                     Powell – Clement

The Presbyterian Church was in artistic bridal adornment on last Friday evening for the marriage of Miss Edith Claire Clement and James Allen Hardy and Miss Audrey Lee Clement and Vogt Powell, which was solemnized at 6 o’clock, with Rev. G. F. Gillespie performing the ceremony. The bridal music was given by Mrs. Carlton Crawford at the piano, who played Nevin’s “Venetian Love Song,” the wedding march by Lohengrin, Mendelssohn’s recessional and accompanied Miss Madge Clement, a sister of the brides, who sang, “My Gift For You,” and “At Dawning.” The decorations of the church were vines and ferns forming a background of greenery for the vases and baskets of yellow and golden blossoms.

Miss Margaret Poage, who was bridesmaid for Miss Edith, wore a period gown of green taffeta and carried an arm boquet of yellow chrysanthemums. Miss Mamie Angel, bridesmaid for Miss Audrey, wore a deep yellow crepe satin period gown and carried lavender Chrysanthemums.

The groomsmen were Mr. J. E. Bramlette and Mr. William Clement, a brother of the brides, the former for Mr. Powell the latter for Mr. Hardy. The ushers were Matthew Burton, Coleman Clement, Ramsey Campbell and A. W. Clement.

The brides, dressed exactly alike in period gowns of white taffeta, with tulle veils and lilies of the valley, marched in with their father, who gave them in marriage. The ring service was used for the double ceremony and those taking the nuptial vows kneeled on pillows of white satin for the benediction.

After the ceremony a reception for the bridal party and relatives was held at the home of the brides’ aunts, the Misses Clement, when hot coffee and cake were served and the newlyweds showered with blessings and well wishes. During the evening they took their departure for brief honeymoon trips. Mr. and Mrs. Hardy to Galveston and Mr. and Mrs. Powell to San Antonio.

The brides are daughters of Mr. and Mrs. W. H. Clement, reared in this city and are beloved by all. Both are graduates of the P. H. S. Mrs. Hardy is also a graduate of John Sealy Hospital, Galveston and has been engaged as County Health Nurse since she finished her training, the past two years having been spent at Carlsbad, N.M. Mrs. Powell attended C. I. A., taught school and then took up a business career, being an assistant in the bank at Blessing for some months.

Mr. Powell holds the position of cashier in the bank at Blessing and he and his bride will make their home in that city.

Mr. Hardy comes from a prominent family of Carlsbad, where he is a successful and influential business man and has a home prepared for his bride.

We join their host of friends in hearty felicitations.

Guests from out of town for the wedding were Mr. and Mrs. J. A. Hardy, Carlsbad, N.M.; Mr. and Mrs. P. W. Clement, Edna; Mr. Ray Cannon and family, Angleton; Mr. and Mrs. R. H. Morrow and daughter, Lolita; Miss Anita Waters, Miss Margaret Poage, Bay City; J. E. Bramlette, Galveston; J. H. Robertson, Bay City; Mr. and Mrs. H. C. Campbell and Ramsey Campbell, Markham; Mr. and Mrs. A. W. Clement, Mrs. H. H. Loos and party, and Mrs. Kiser, Bay City; Mr. and Mrs. A. B. Pierce, Mr. Stoner, Mrs. Milliard and Mr. and Mrs. Yeager, Blessing.

Palacios Beacon, November 17, 1927
 


HARRIMAN – MACY

Mr. Chas. B. Harriman, son of Mr. and Mrs. W. F. Harriman, and Miss Estella I. Macy, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. J. W. Macy, all of this city, were married at the home of the bride’s parents Wednesday morning at 10 o’clock, Dr. J. P. Green, pastor of the Presbyterian church, officiating. The wedding was private, only members of the families of the bride and groom being present. These were Mr. and Mrs. W. F. Harriman, parents of the groom, and their granddaughter, Miss Eleanor Harriman; Mayor and Mrs. Duncan Ruthven and family, Mrs. Ruthven being a sister of the bride, and Mr. Harlan Davis, of West Milton, O., the bride’s cousin, and Dr. and Mrs. Green. The ring ceremony was used, and was impressively performed by Dr. Green. The bride was most lovely in a bridal robe of pure white handsomely trimmed with hand made lace. The groom wore the conventional black. After the ceremony and congratulations, the bridal party were seated at a wedding dinner which was a joyous and sumptuous feast indeed. At the conclusion of the dinner, the bride exchanged her bridal gown for a handsome traveling suit, and the happy couple left by auto for Blessing where they boarded the ’Frisco train for Houston, leaving that city later over the Southern Pacific for Los Angeles, Long Beach and other California points where they will enjoy a month’s honeymoon visiting with relatives of the groom and many personal friends.

Mr. and Mrs. Harriman are among the best known and most popular young people of Palacios and need no introduction from us. While they have lived here but a few years they have been in the city long enough to almost be listed with the older settlers.

Mr. Harriman is a young man who takes a lively interest in everything that promises for the good of the city and country, and feels much pride and satisfaction in its rapid growth. The young couple will go to housekeeping on their return, but Mr. Harriman expects to soon build on some of his property adjoining the city, which he will further improve and develop, He is the efficient and faithful superintendent of the Presbyterian Sunday school, and to his experienced guidance is due much of the success of that worthy institution.

The bride is one of the best known and most popular young ladies of the city, and her charming personality and winning manners have made admiring friends of all who know her.

The Beacon is joined by all the people of the city in extending sincerest congratulations, wishing for Mr. and Mrs. Harriman all the joy, peace and prosperity that the world can supply.

Palacios Beacon, March 22, 1912
 


HARVEY – DANNELS

Mr. Britis Harvey and Miss Alice Dannels stole a march on their friends and were married in Bay City, April 14th, 1934.

The groom is the son of Mr. and Mrs. Hammon Harvey of Palacios and the bride is the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. W. D. Dannels. She has lived all her life in the vicinity of Palacios and Blessing and was Miss Sallie Smith’s nurse at the time of her death. Their many friends wish them lots of joy and happiness and may God guide their ship with a loving hand as they journey through life together.

Palacios Beacon, May 3, 1934
 


HARVEY – HAMLIN

Mr. Lyttleton Harvey and Miss Bertha Hamlin of Collegeport, were united in marriage Saturday Sept. 8, at the First Baptist Church, Rev. George D. McClelland saying the service. We join Collegeport citizens and other friends in hearty felicitations.

Palacios Beacon, September 13, 1934
 


HARVEY - LEE

Mr. Curtis Harvey and Miss Leetta Lee were united in marriage at Wharton, Texas, Sunday, August 24, 1930.

Miss Lee was born and reared near Palacios and has a large circle of friends who wish for them a long and happy married life. Mr. Harvey is a highly respected young man from San Augustine county. The happy young couple will make their home in Matagorda County.

Palacios Beacon, August 28, 1930
 


HARVEY – SNIDER

Miss Frances Snider, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. A. B. Snider, of north east of Palacios, and Mr. Freeman Harvey were married Saturday afternoon at the home of Rev. and Mrs. George D. McClelland, Rev. McClelland officiating. Both parties have a host of friends with whom we join in congratulations and best wishes.

Palacios Beacon, June 21, 1934
 


HASENDEUFEL – TOLLESON

Mr. Albert Hasendeufel, passenger fireman on the Palacios Wharton train, and Miss Lizzie Tolleson, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. A. Tolleson, were united in marriage at the home of the bride’s parents on Lucas avenue Wednesday evening, Rev. W. L. Shepherd, pastor of the Presbyterian church, officiating. Tepa’s orchestra from Victoria, furnished exquisite music, playing the marches and a beautiful serenade while the ceremony was being performed. The bride was charming in a costume of white voile trimmed in white fur, the groom appearing in the conventional black. After the ceremony the bride changed the wedding robe for a traveling suit of broadcloth trimmed in fur, and the young couple went to the Palacios hotel for the night, leaving for Victoria on Thursday morning’s train. The wedding was private, only a few friends and neighbors being present. These were Mr. and Mrs. Geo. Crawford and daughter, Annie; Mr. and Mrs. C. J. Moore and daughters Francis, Mary and Theresa; Mr. and Mrs. Arthur Redmond; Mr. and Mrs. G. M. Walter, and Mrs. L. G. Young and three little daughters.

The bride has been the operator of the local telephone exchange for the past three years and is well known, especially by the telephone patrons, and by all of whom she is much esteemed. The many Palacios friends of both the bride and groom join with the Beacon in extending congratulations, wishing them the largest measure of happiness and prosperity.

Palacios Beacon, December 24, 1915
 


HAWKINS – CURTIS

This morning, at Buckeye, Mr. W. R. Hawkins and Miss Beulah Curtis were united in the sacred bonds of matrimony at the home of the bride’s father. The happy couple left immediately on their honeymoon trip to Wharton, Victoria and other towns. They will return to Bay City in about two weeks and will make their home here. Mr. Hawkins is well and favorable known here, having lived here all his life, while Mr. Hawkins has been living in Buckeye but a few months. Her home has been in Dallas where she has been attending college. Rev. W. O. Stephens performed the ceremony.

The Matagorda County Tribune, March 9, 1923
 


HAYES – SISSON

At eight o’clock last Saturday evening at the residence of the bride’s parents, a quiet but pretty home wedding was celebrated, when Rev. Shepherd, pastor of the Presbyterian church, with the beautiful and impressive ring ceremony, united in the bond of wedlock, Mr. Noble L. Hayes and Miss Eve Clare Sisson, daughter of Mr. and Mrs.  F. A. Sisson, only immediate relatives of the contracting parties being present. After the ceremony a dainty and delicious luncheon was served.

There is perhaps not a better known or a more popular young couple in our city than these newly-weds, and we know that everybody joins with the Beacon in wishing Mr. Hayes and his winsome bride, joy and prosperity and that they may live to enjoy the good things of the earth till far beyond the three score and ten allotment of years. It is a pleasure to add that Mr. and Mrs. Hayes will make their home at Palacios.

Palacios Beacon, June 25, 1915
 


HEBERT – BENTLER

At the home of the bride’s parents in this city Monday evening at 8 o’clock, Mr. Frank Hebert, of Farr, this State, and Miss Nora Bentler, of Palacios, were united in marriage by Dr. J. P. Green, pastor of the Presbyterian church.

The ceremony was performed in the presence of immediate relatives of the bride and groom and a few invited friends. Those present aside from Mr. Bentler’s family being Mrs. Hebert, mother of the groom, and her daughter, Mrs. Lotz, from Louisiana, and Mr. and Mrs. A. J. Tatum, and daughter, Miss Vivian, Rev. and Mrs. Green, Misses Verle and Dell Miller, Mr. and Mrs. Bert Johnson, O. C. Arnold, Geo. Curtis and Ben Green, all of Palacios.

The home was most tastefully decorated, the color scheme being green and white, and the ceremony was performed under a floral bell suspended from a handsomely decorated arc. The bride was most lovely in a beautiful wedding gown of white silk voile, lined with silk, trimmed with bugle trimming and white satin. Mrs. Bert Johnson played the wedding march, and after the ceremony Miss Dell Miller sang, “I Love You Truly.” A splendid wedding dinner was served after congratulations had been extended to the newly wedded pair, and which was a merry as well as very much relished feast.

Mr. and Mrs. Hebert left Tuesday morning for their future home at Farr, where Mr. Hebert is engaged in business. They were accompanied as far as Bay City by Mr. Hebert’s mother and sister on their return trip to their home in Louisiana. The Beacon and the other numerous Palacios friends of the bride extend their sincere congratulations wishing Mr. and Mrs. Hebert long life, prosperity and happiness unbounded.

Palacios Beacon, October 4, 1912
 


HELLER – SMITH

Miss LaVern Smith, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. E. L. Smith of Markham, became the bride of Wilburn Heller of Markham and Weimar, in a quiet ceremony Sunday morning at St. Peter’s Church in Blessing, Father Weber performed the ceremony.

Mr. and Mrs. Oscar Heller of Weimar, brother and sister in law of the groom, and Mr. and Mrs. Arthur Bailey, close friends from Bay City were the attendants.

The bride was lovely in a rose beige silk crepe suit, a white hat and other white accessories and she carried a shower bouquet of pink bride’s roses. Her handkerchief was of silk net and lace with hand embroidered daisies of pink.

Mrs. Heller wore a white coat suit of linen with net blouse of pink. She wore a white hat and carried a bouquet of pink roses.

Mrs. Bailey’s costume consisted of a peach organdy creation, with large collar and skirt made on princess lines and flaring at the bottom. Her hat and accessories were also of white.

Following the wedding ceremony the party was entertained at the home of the bride’s parents, where a wedding dinner was held after which Mr. and Mrs. Heller departed for a short wedding trip. They will attend the marriage of Mr. Heller’s sister, Miss Henrietta and Mr. Edwin Caper, which will be solemnized in Weimar Tuesday.

Mr. and Mrs. Heller will be at home after July 17 in Markham.

Matagorda County Tribune, July 18, 1935
 


HERRING - CLAPP

J. H. Herring and Miss Mary Clapp, of Wharton, linked their lives, on Wednesday of last week. The bride was one of the most prominent young ladies of the Forest City, while the groom is a member of the firm of Herring & Blizzarde, grocery merchants, who advertise in the BREEZE. He is also well known here in Bay City, as he comes here about once a month on business trips. The BREEZE extends to the happy pair our most hearty congratulations.

Bay City Breeze, February 11, 1897
 


HILL – ELLIS

Mr. Luther Hill, son of Mr. and Mrs. S. J. Hill and Miss Donnie Edna Ellis, daughter of Mr. W. L. Ellis, both of this city, were married at 6:30 o’clock Tuesday evening at the home of the bride’s father. The ceremony was performed by Rev. J. W. Israel, pastor of the Baptist church, in the presence of the relatives and a few immediate friends. The young couple are well known and popular among a large number of our citizens, who extend congratulations, and wish them long years of happiness and prosperity. Mr. and Mrs. Hill will make their home in the city of their choice, that is Palacios.

Palacios Beacon, December 20, 1920
 


HILL – GOLIGHTLY

Mr. Robert B. Hill and Miss Eilene Golightly were quietly married Sunday afternoon at the home of the bride's parents, Rev. and Mrs. Baxter Golightly, only the families of the contracting parties and a few very intimate friends being present to witness the ceremony.

The bride has been a resident of Palacios about sixteen months, the latter part of which time she was on the Beacon force as compositor.

The groom has made this his home since his discharge from the army, joining his parents here several months ago, and is now employed by W. T. Blair.

The happy young couple have a host of friends who wish them every happiness in their married life.—Palacios Beacon.                       

The
Matagorda County Tribune, April 11, 1919
 


PAULK – HILL WEDDING HELD AT
FIRST BAPTIST CHURCH FRI. EVENING

Miss Nana Paulk, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. D. D. Paulk, was married to Verrall Hill, son of Mr. and Mrs. G. J. Hill, in a beautiful ceremony performed at 7:30 p.m. Friday June 1, in the First Baptist Church by Rev. George D. McClelland.

An arch of pink and white oleanders with a background of green palms and ferns made a beautiful setting under which the young people pledged their vows.

Mrs. L. S. Appleton sang, “I Love You Truly” and Mr. Appleton sang, “At Dawning,” Mr. Lee accompanist. Miss Claire Partain played the wedding marches for the entrance and exit of the bridal party.

The bride was given in marriage by her father, and wore a gown of white satin. Her attendants were Mrs. Phillip Ludwick, matron of honor, Miss Dorothy McCall, maid of honor and Misses Irene Jackson, Virginia Paulk, Fern Hensley, Josephine Halliday and Madie Paulk as brides maids, who wore gowns of organdie in pastel shades and carried bouquets of roses and queen Anne’s lace. The bride carried a bouquet of sweet peas. Flower girls were Bobby Jean Tracy and Alice Legg, and Junior Jensen was ring bearer. Walter Snider was best man and Julius Snider and Pat Safford were ushers. A reception at the home of the bride followed the ceremony and was attended by relatives and near friends.

Mr. and Mrs. Hill took a short honeymoon to Houston and are now located in an apartment at the L. S. Appleton home.

Out of town guests were Mrs. Leslie Conover, and two sons, of Long Beach, Calif., Mr. and Mrs. Ernest Davis and son, New Gulf; Mrs. Larry Ryan, Kingsville; and Mr. and Mrs. Billy Bullard, Gulf.

Palacios Beacon, June 7, 1934
 


HOBBS – PARTEN

MARRIED. At the Chambers House, in this place on the 1st inst., by D. MacFarlane, Esq. Elijah Hobbs to Mrs. Louisa P. Parten.                             

The Matagorda Gazette
, May 7, 1859
 


DOUBLE WEDDING

Horn – Allen                           Allen – Cox

A double wedding ceremony of interest to Palacios friends and in which three of our young people were participants, occurred in Bay City Sunday, when Miss Oleta Allen, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. J. H. Allen of the Pickwick Bakery, became the bride of Mr. Bernis (Pee Wee) Horn of Gulf, and Miss Vivian Cox, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. R. C. Cox, became the bride of Mr. Roy Allen, son of Mr. and Mrs. J. H. Allen.

The young people motored to the county seat where the nuptial vows were made after which they went to Houston and Galveston for a short honeymoon trip, returning to Palacios today, Thursday.

Mr. and Mrs. Horn will make their home in Gulf where Mr. Horn has a position with the Gulf Sulphur Co., and has been employed there the past four years or more. Mrs. Horn is young in years but mature in manner and has been an able assistant in the front part of the bakery the past year.

Mr. Allen is now employed on a dredge working near Bay City, but assisted his father here in the bakery when they first came to Palacios some two years ago. Mrs. Allen grew up here and has a host of admirers in the social circle in which she moved.

The Beacon takes pleasure in joining the many friends of these popular and deserving young people in hearty felicitations and best wishes.

Palacios Beacon, May 24, 1928
 


YOUNG COUPLE MARRIED AT BAY CITY WILL LIVE HERE
Houseworth – Dodd

Mr. Gordon Houseworth, of Wharton but who has been connected with the Gray Barber Shop in this city for some weeks past, and Miss Bonnie Fay Dodd of Bay City, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. T. J. Dodd of that place, were married at the bride's home last week, Rev. W. M. Joslin of the Baptist Church, officiating.

The bride, with her family, formerly lived in Eagle Lake, the family having moved from here to Bay City in 1920.

Mr. and Mrs. Houseworth are making their home at the Callison Hotel, which has recently been taken over by Mr. and Mrs. R. L. Retherford, she being a sister of the bride.

The Headlight extends its congratulations to the young couple and wishes them a long, happy and prosperous married life.—Eagle Lake Headlight.

The Matagorda County Tribune July 13, 1923
 


HUEBNER – TAYLOR

One of the prettiest weddings to ever have been solemnized in this section took place at Iago yesterday morning at 10:30 o’clock, at the home of the bride’s mother, Mrs. Marcus B. Taylor, the contracting parties being Mr. George Huebner, a very prominent young planter of this city, and Miss Leta Belle Taylor, the beautiful and accomplished daughter of Mrs. Marcus B. Taylor, and of one of the foremost families in this section of the State. The ceremony was performed by Rev. T. C. Johnston, a Presbyterian divine of Houston.

The home was beautifully decorated for the occasion and about one hundred guests assembled from many parts of this and Wharton Counties.

The matrons were Mrs. George Mick of Iago and Mrs. Arnold of New Orleans, the attendants being Mr. Dudley Huebner of this city and Miss Marguerite Taylor, sister of the bride. Miss Pauline Huebner, in a beautifully impressive manner, sang, “Oh, Promise Me,” accompanied by Miss Marguerite Taylor.

Immediately after the ceremony the wedding party left via automobile for Houston, from which point they will visit several other places of interest, prior to returning to Bay City where they will make their home.

Mr. Huebner has made this city and immediate vicinity his home for practically a life-time, is of one of the county’s best families, is very popular himself and has a large circle of friends.

The bride is of one of the oldest and most prominent families in this country and is also very popular. The friends of both extend the heartiest congratulations.

Among those in attendance were the following, from Bay City: Mrs. Franz Huebner and daughters, Misses Pauline and Marguerite, and son, John; Mr. and Mrs. Sidney Eidman, Mrs. A. Richers, Miss Richers and Freddie Richers, Mr. A. Huebner, Mrs. R. A. Kleska, Mrs. L. W. Brown and two children, Miss Grace Williams, Dudley Huebner and Bernard Hurst.

The Matagorda County Tribune June 22, 1917
 


EMILIE ELIZABETH HALL TO BECOME BRIDE
OF VERNON HURD WEDNESDAY, SEPT. 10.

(The Denver Post)  Tall baskets of gladiolas and white clematis will decorate St. Barnabas Church tomorrow evening for the marriage of Miss Emilie Elizabeth Hall and Vernon K. Hurd, which will take place at 8 o'clock.

The Rev. Charles H. Marshall will read the service in the presence of about 300 guests, and following the ceremony a supper will be served to the members of the wedding party in the home of the bride's mother Mrs. F. Dixon Hall.

The bride is to be given in marriage by her brother, Ralph Hall, and he and the other men in the party will wear military uniforms.

Edward Wise will be best man and Glen McColm and Eugene Mechling ushers.

The bride's attendants will be Miss Gladys Falconer of Pueblo, maid of honor, and Miss Frances Smith and Miss Margaret Knox, bridesmaids.

Their gowns are made alike, being girlish affairs of taffeta in the pastel shades. They will wear Georgette hats of a shade to match their frocks and carry pink roses.

The bride will be a pretty picture in her robe of heavy white satin. The draped skirt falls in long simple lines and is elaborately embroidered with seed pearls. The pearl embroideries also outline the flowing sleeves and the square neck. Her veil of tulle which was also worn by her mother, will be caught with orange blossoms and extend to the hem of her court train. A shower bouquet of palest blush roses will lend an attractive touch of color to the costume.

Miss Hall is one of the most interesting girls of the younger social set, where she is very popular. She attended the University of Colorado and is a member of the Chi Omega sorority.

Hurd is the son of Mr. and Mrs. Burton D. Hurd of Hot Springs, Ark. He attended the University of Minnesota and served overseas as a lieutenant in the Field Artillery. He is a member of the Beta Theta Pi fraternity and is now engaged in business in Hot Springs.

The Matagorda County Tribune, September 26, 1919
 


HURLEY – WALLACE

The society wedding of the year took place at the first Methodist Church here this morning when Miss Bertha Wallace became Mrs. Hurley.

This event has been looked forward to as a grand climax to the many nice social affairs in honor of one of the dearest, sweetest girls any city ever claimed, Bertha Wallace. To attest the bride’s popularity, the church, handsome in itself, had been transformed into a regular “palm garden” so many and beautiful were the palms used. They were plucked from their native soil and brought to Bay City for this particular affair and the transformation was almost magic. Other than the entire choir place being in palms it made a beautiful background for the floral decorations of pink and white roses that were used every where that they could be placed. The arches over the aisles were in pink and white chrusanthemums, and asparagus ferns—one arch suspending “W”, the next “H.” A musical program including a duet by Mr. Wilson and Mrs. Davis, “Love Dreams,” and a solo, “I Love You Only,” by Mrs. Davis with Mrs. Hawkins as accompanist was immediately followed by Wegner’s wedding march played by Mrs. G. A. Moore.

The ushers, Mr. Woolsey, Mr. Cookenboo, Mr. Hardy and Mr. Williamson, opened up the large doors and marched up the aisles followed by the bride’s dearest chums and attendants–the “Owls”–two in number–all beautifully dressed in white, carrying arm boquets of pink carnations and ferns. They were followed by the maid of honor, Miss Grace Keller in pink, then came Mrs. Ziegenhals as matron of honor in lovely lavender satin and bride roses. The dainty little ladies in pink came to scatter roses in the path of the bride who followed on the arm of her brother, Mr. Bruce Wallace. They were met at the altar by the groom, Mr. Hurley, accompanied by his best man, Mr. Charley Jones of Houston. Rev. A. A. Kidd read the sacred words that made Mr. Hurley and Miss Wallace man and wife, and a more beautiful picture could not be drawn than that found by the pretty girls, handsome men, dainty flower girls and the happy radiant face of Bertha as a bride with the beautiful back ground they had.

Immediately the recessional began and the party left the altar only to be met in the doorway by a host of friends, all anxious to do honor to one so dear to them all. After much congratulation the party met at the home of the bride to await the time for the train.

The bride was robed in a magnificent robe of silk marquisette with duchesse lace over white satin foulard, with a large bridal hat with plumes and carried a boquet of bride roses. This was changed to her going away gown of brown silk, Gainesbro hat, with parasol and gloves to match. A prettier bride there never was.

At the train was a “multitude” of well wishers to see them off and shower they paid with love and rice. In throwing her boquet to the maids, each trying her best to reach the coveted treasure, it fell to Miss Lizzie Hawkins as the lucky party.

In the cozy Wallace home was displayed the wedding gifts and if they can speak the love and appreciation of the bride, then truly “her friends are a legion.”

Mr. and Mrs. Hurley go to Houston for a short stay, then to Lufkin where Mr. Hurley will present his bride to his family. Then after a little visit with them, Mr. and Mrs. Hurley will be at home to their friends at Silsbee.

If the wedding can be taken as omen of events to follow, surely all things good will come into the lives of these two people, for everything has been only for their good on this, their marriage morn, and that the days that follow may be filled with only the very best things of this life is the cordial wish and hope of the entire city.

Some of the out of town guests were Mr. Charley Jones, Houston; Mr. and Mrs. B. F. Hardy, El Campo; Mr. B. F. Hardy, Jr., El Campo; Mr. and Mrs. B. Wallace, El Campo; Miss Maud Hardy Wallace, El Campo; Mr. and Mrs. Matthews, Caney; Miss Earle McCorquodale; Miss Carrie Sally, Matagorda.                                   

The
Matagorda County Tribune, July 12, 1912
 


HURST – HUEBNER WEDDING
Tuesday, June 25, 1918

Having previously been invited by Mr. Andrew Huebner, to be present at the marriage of his daughter, Ada Irene, to Mr. Bernard J. Hurst, the guests began to arrive at the handsome country home, Tuesday evening about 8:30 o’clock. They were received at the door by Mrs. M. T. Huebner, invited into the spacious reception hall and asked to register in the pretty “Bride’s Book,” which was presided over by Mrs. R. A. Kleska. They then passed on down the hall to examine the beautiful and handsome wedding presents, which were displayed on a long table. Among them, were three checks, each for one hundred dollars.

In a short time the guests had all arrived, about fifty in number, most of whom were relatives and very few intimate friends.

At 9 o’clock the Rev. John Sloan of Houston took his stand in the parlor under a beautiful canopy of evergreens and Shasta daisies. A pretty background being formed of many ferns, pot plants and palms.

Accompanied by Miss May Etta Taylor of Iago, Miss Pauline Huebner sang in her sweet voice “At Dawning.” After which “Lohengren’s,” the ever-popular and impressive wedding march, was rendered by Miss Pauline Huebner, who presided at the piano, and Mr. R. A. Kleska on the violin.

The matrons of honor, Mrs. Lola Brown and Mrs. H. J. Hauck of Valley Falls, Kansas, sisters of the bride, in handsome white dresses, led the way through the artistically decorated hall and dining room and into the parlor, between the aisles of pink ribbons, followed by Miss Willie Bell Hurst, as maid, in pink chiffon, carrying a lovely bouquet of pink gladiolas and ferns, with Mr. Dudley Huebner in handsome black suit. Behind them came little three-year-old Herman Hauck, in all white, carrying the ring in a white rose. Next came the bride leaning upon the arm of the happy groom. She was a vision of loveliness robed in white Georgette crepe de Chine, trimmed in handsome lace and pearls. On her head rested a wreath of orange blossoms, from which trailed a long veil. She carried in her arms an exquisite shower bouquet. The groom looked very handsome in the conventional black.

When they reached the canopy, under which they were to be married, still keeping step to the music, they gracefully fell in line before the minister awaiting them, who then read the impressive Episcopal ceremony. When they were pronounced man and wife, congratulations were heartily extended. A happier and more smiling couple were never seen.

Misses Jessie May Hurst of Iago and Marguerite Huebner served iced fruit punch throughout the evening.

After pleasant conversation and more music by Miss Huebner and Mr. Kleska the young people were invited into the dining room to cut the bride’s cake. A basket of Shasta daisies hung from the chandelier, also little shower bouquets with fortune cards on the end, reached down to an immense heart-shaped cake, ornamented with a miniature kewpie bridal party.

Ice cream and delicious angel food cake were then served. The bride stole away a short time, but soon returned in a very becoming suit of brown, with hat, gloves and boots to match. After bidding everyone goodbye, the happy couple departed for a short wedding trip―leaving the guests curious as to their destination.

Mrs. Hurst is the youngest daughter of Mr. Andrew Huebner, is accomplished and loved by all who have the pleasure of knowing her. Mr. Hurst is formerly from Florence, Ala. He has been in this county for the past few years, but has been here long enough for the people to know and appreciate his sterling worth. He is at present in the employ of the Stoddard Company at Buckeye, where they will reside for the present, after returning from their wedding trip.

 The Matagorda County Tribune, June 28, 1918
 


JAMES – DRISKILL

At 9:30 o’clock last Monday evening at the home of the bride’s parents, Mr. and Mrs. M. D. Driskill, Mr. Clarence E. James and Miss Wilsie Driskill, both of this city, were united in marriage, by Dr. T. F. Driskill, uncle of the bride.

There is not a more deservedly popular and generally known young lady in Palacios than Miss Wilsie, and the announcement of her marriage came as a complete surprise to her friends, which means everybody in the city; and we understand that the decision on the part of the young couple to get married at this time had not been made but a short time.

The groom is a cousin of Mr. Earnest Smith, but a newcomer from Dallas, having been a resident of Palacios but about six months, and is a salesman for the Smith Mercantile Co., but has won many friends in the short time he has been here.

The ceremony was performed in the presence of a large company of friends, who assembled on very short notice. Those present were Mr. and Mrs. C. J. Wildman, Mr. and Mrs. H. Blancha, and Mr. and Mrs. G. M. Walters and family, Mr. and Mrs. W. D. Shuman and family, Stanley Jones and family, Mr. and Mrs. A. R. Hillyer and family, Mr. and Mrs. Huah Powell, Mr. and Mrs. O. A. Rittenhouse, Mr. and Mrs. C. L. Haynes, Mr. and Mrs. Jacob Sherman, Mrs. Verdie White, Mrs. B. A. Hatchell, Mrs. M. C. Reece, Mr. Jack Rives, Mr. Cliff Dodson, Mr. Jake Minor, Ola May and Nannie B. Hatchell, Misses Cara Garrett, Flo Williams, Ruth Champion, Lucile Tansel and all the members of the family of the bride’s parents. Beside these there were present the following young ladies, members of the Embroidery Club, of which the bride is a much esteemed member: Misses Hazel Hall, Besse Foley, Rose Foley, Sadie Wood, Hazel Durham, Lummie Lewis and Mrs. Ray Foley. Miss Lillian Lowe, of Bay City a special friend of the bride, was also present, the ceremony having been set at the hour named, awaiting her arrival on the train.

To Mr. and Mrs. James the very best well wishes of everyone in the city, as well as of their many other friends elsewhere, is extended, and who bespeak for them happiness and prosperity in fullest measure.

Last night the members of the Embroidery Club gave Mrs. James a miscellaneous shower at which she received a large number of useful and beautiful gifts.

Palacios Beacon, April 10, 1912

 


JARRELL – REMSEN

Mr. Byron Jarrell, of Belton, and Miss Elsie Remsen of New York were married Saturday night at the home of Mr. and Mrs. J. R. Reynolds. Rev. G. T. Storey, of the Presbyterian Church, officiating.

Mr. Jarrell is in the employ of the Gulf Sulphur Co. and has only recently returned from overseas duty. He is the nephew of Mr. Reynolds.

The bride is also in the employ of the same company and is a young lady of many charming traits of character.

Immediately after the ceremony, Mr. and Mrs. Reynolds entertained the bridal party with a delightful luncheon.

Mr. and Mrs. Jarrell returned to Gulf Saturday night and will reside there.

The Matagorda County Tribune, October 3, 1919
 


JECKLIN – JEFFUS

Miss Alvena Jecklin, daughter of Mrs. Paul Jecklin, and Leoniel C. Jeffus, formerly of San Diego, Camp Kearney, California, were united in marriage, Saturday, December 7, at 3:30 p. m. in the home of the bride's mother.

The bride is a well known young lady to the entire county, having come to the same in 1911. For several years she resided in Blessing and later in Palacios, while she has been living in Bay City for the past two years.

The groom is well known in Texas as well as California, having been born and raised in Houston County, but when the call came to help his country, he immediately responded, and was sent to Washington to train. He was left there, however, for only two months, when he was sent to Camp Kearney, California, where he trained until given an honorable discharge.

The bridal couple departed immediately for a honeymoon to San Anton, Galveston and other places.                                                
 
The
Matagorda County Tribune, December 13, 1918
 


JOHN – BADOUH

Mr. Abraham John, of Cuero, and Miss Nellie Badouh, of Bay City, were united in marriage at the bride’s home Saturday morning, February the tenth, the Rev. John Sloane of the Episcopal church officiating.

Mr. and Mrs. John will make Cuero their home, the groom being a business man of that city.

The bride has lived in this city for a number of years and has many friends who join in wishing her a successful and happy life.

The wedding was a quiet home affair, the ceremony being held in the presence of the members of the family and a few intimate friends.

Matagorda County News & Midcoast Farmer, February 13, 1917
 


JOHNSON – HOLMES

An item of interest overlooked last week by the Beacon reporter was the marriage of Miss Margaret Holmes and Mr. Charley Johnson, on Saturday night, Oct. 13, Rev. E. F. Kluck officiating. These are two of our most worthy young people, deserving and energetic, and we join their many friends in wishing for them a happy and prosperous journey through life together.

The happy young couple left Sunday for Bastrop to remain until Christmas.

Palacios Beacon, October 25, 1934
 


JOHNSON - LEE

Miss Helen Lee and Mr. Ernest Johnson were united in marriage Aug. 5th 1929 at Rockport, Texas. Miss Lee has lived close to Palacios several years and her Palacios friends wish her a happy married life. Mr. Johnson is a resident of Port Aransas, and is in the U. S. Coast Guard service.

Palacios Beacon, August 15, 1929
 


Johs-Ramsey

A wedding of interest was solemnized Saturday evening, Sept. 30, at 8 o’clock at the home of Rev. L. W. Crouch, pastor of the First Baptist Church, when Mr. Erich Johs, son of Mr. and Mrs. E. Johs, and Miss Lenadene Ramsey, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. C. Ramsey of the Turtle Bay Community, were quietly married. Miss Alice Johs, sister of the groom, and Mr. Willard Skinner of Bay City, were the attendants. Miss Imogene Ramsey, sister of the bride, and Miss Hazel Wilson were present.

They will make their home in the Johs apartment which has just been completed at the farm of the groom’s father in Deutschburg.

The Beacon joins the many friends of these popular young people in extending congratulations and best wishes.

Palacios Beacon, October 12, 1939
 


JONES – GUEST

Miss Hazel Guest, daughter of Mr. Adolphe Guest, was united in marriage to Mr. B. J. Jones, Jr., at the bride’s home Saturday morning. A few friends at the ceremony.―Bay City Tribune.

After a short honeymoon trip to Houston the newly weds arrived in Palacios Wednesday and have an apartment in the Brewer home on South Bay. Mr. Jones is employed by the Bay Chevrolet Company as bookkeeper and has made quite a large circle of friends in this city with whom we join in hearty congratulations, and extend them a cordial welcome.

Palacios Beacon, September 13, 1928
 


JONES – SMITH

Married at Collegeport on Wednesday night of last week, by Rev. John Sloan of this city, Miss Grace Theodore Smith and Mr. Edgar G. Jones of Amarillo. Miss Smith was one of the most charming young women of Collegeport, the Grace chapel of the Episcopal Church being named in honor of her many good deeds and as a tribute to her lovable character. The chapel was beautifully decorated for the occasion, and the ceremony witnessed by many friends.

The Matagorda County News and Midcoast Farmer, September 5, 1914
 


JONES – NELSON
 

MARRIED. At “Retreat”, the residence of O. M. Winston, King William County, VA., on the 31st ult., Mr. John H. Jones, Jr. of Matagorda, Texas, and Miss M. R. Nelson of the former place.                                                               
The Matagorda Gazette
, February 22, 1860

 


ROMANTIC MARRIAGE

Johnson – Smith

Elmer M. Johnson, one of the gentlemanly employees of the Bay City Auto Company was made happy twice Tuesday. His affiance (sic) arrived on the afternoon train all the way from LaFayette, Indiana, and was met at the train by Mr. Johnson and escorted to the Methodist parsonage where an impressive ceremony by Rev. J. F. Carter made him happy again and united for life Elmer M. Johnson and Miss Margaret A. Smith. After the ceremony the couple repaired to Mrs. Cullins’ for supper and then to the home which Mr. Johnson had prepared. The News wishes them bon voyage over matrimonial seas wish happiness and prosperity theirs in full measure.

Matagorda County News & Midcoast Farmer, January 16, 1914
 


MARRIED AT SEDALIA, MISSOURI
Mr. J. P. Keller and Miss Belle Hinshaw of Bay City are on Their Wedding Tour

We find the following account of the marriage of Mr. James P. Keller and Miss Jeanette Belle Hinshaw of Bay City in the Sedalia, Mo., Democrat of the 20th inst.:

J. P. Keller, cashier of the Bay City Bank and Trust Co. of Bay City, Tex., and Miss Jeanette Belle Hinshaw, eldest daughter of N. M. Hinshaw, an M. K. & T. conductor, who for the past year has been employed at Bay City, were united in wedlock at the home of the bride’s parents, 1009 S. Massachusetts avenue, at 10:30 o’clock this morning.

The ceremony was performed by the Rev. J. D. Prigmore, pastor of the Central Presbyterian church, in the presence of only immediate relatives.

A sumptuous wedding dinner was served afterwards.

Mr. and Mrs. Keller left at noon for Chicago, Buffalo and New York City to spend their honey moon, after which they will go to Bay City to reside.

The Matagorda County Tribune, July 29, 1910
 


KELLEY – RYMAN

Married on the 14th, at the residence of Mr. Peter Ryman, east of Wadsworth, his daughter, Miss Flossie Ryman and Mr. W. A. Kelley, the ceremony being performed by Rev. J. E. Carter of Bay City. The bride is one of the popular young ladies of that community has a large circle of friends who wish her and the fortunate groom abundant prosperity and happiness.

Matagorda County News & Midcoast Farmer, January 23, 1914
 


TURTLE MOTT TIPS

Kellogg – Holden

Mr. Elmer Kellogg and Miss Effie Holden were married last Sunday at 3 o’clock at the home of the bride’s parents, Mr. and Mrs. J. T. Holden; Rev. Israel, of Palacios officiating. It was a quiet home wedding, only the families of the bride and groom were present. Mr. M. K. Feather accompanied Bro. Israel. The bride looked very sweet in white with pale blue trimmings. Mr. and Mrs. Ben Allison and Mr. and Mrs. Jarry Kellogg acted as groomsmen and bridesmaids. They will make their home in Palacios. We are sorry to lose these young people, but our best wishes go with them for their future happiness.

Palacios Beacon, September 5, 1913
 


KENNEDY – LINN

A quiet wedding was solemnized Sunday afternoon at 3 o'clock when Miss Katherine Linn became the bride of Sergeant Oscar E. Kennedy of Camp Travis.

The ceremony which was performed at the Baptist Church was witnessed only by the family and a few intimate friends. Reverend Campbell reading the marriage service. The wedding march was played by Mrs. Adelaide Gebhardt MacDonald.

The bride is the charming daughter of Judge Linn of Bay City, and a niece of Mrs. Philip J. McMahon of this city with whom she has been making her home during the scholastic year. She has been a member of the faculty of the Central School for several years and will continue to hold her present position until the conclusion of the school term.

The groom is a well-known young man of this city, who was holding a responsible position here until he entered the training camp at Camp Travis, where he ranks as sergeant.

Sergeant Kennedy was able to obtain a short leave, and will soon leave for Camp Travis, while Mrs. Kennedy will remain with her aunt.—Laredo Record.

Miss Katherine was reared in Bay City and has many friends here. She is a graduate of the Bay City High School, is a young lady of many attainments, of a sweet disposition and is very popular with her friends and acquaintances, whom The Tribune joins in the heartiest of best wishes and solicitude for her future happiness and success in life.

The Matagorda County Tribune, March 1, 1918
 


KING - JOHNSON

A wedding of interest was quietly solemnized Tuesday at 5 p.m. at the home of Mr. and Mrs. Guy Johnson, when their daughter, Mary Adeline, was united in marriage to Bryon W. King, of Corpus Christi, the impressive service was read by Rev. E. F. Kluck, pastor of the M. E. Church.

The bride wore a becoming frock of blue triple sheer crepe with accessories to match and had no attendants.

Following the ceremony a sumptuous wedding feast was served the guest being members of the immediate families and a few near friends.

Mrs. King has a large circle of admirers here where she attended school and graduated with the class of ’31. Since February of this year she has been in Com. Geo. A. Harrison’s office and was most efficient.

Mr. King is a most deserving young man, and has a good position in Corpus Christi.

They left early Wednesday morning for their new home, followed by the best wishes of their many friends.

Palacios Beacon, September 6, 1934
 

 

MORE WEDDING BELLS
 

KLEIN-KILBRIDE—On Monday evening, July 3d, 1899, at the residence of the bride's uncle J. S. Gillett, in Bay City, Texas, Miss Mamie L. Kilbride was united in marriage to Mr. Max G. Klein; County Judge T. J. Hamilton officiating.


The bride is one of Bay City's most amiable and charming young ladies; the groom a well-known and prosperous young business man. May the current of their united lives always be as placid and the dawn of each succeeding morning always be as roseate to them as that of the great national anniversary of A. D., 1899.


The Matagorda County Tribune, July 8, 1899
 


KLENNERT - MCFARLAND

Mr. and Mrs. T. A. McFarland announce the marriage of their eldest daughter, Miss Honor, to Mr. H. L. Klennert, which took place on January 30th, 1930.

This news comes as quite a surprise to the bride’s many Palacios friends, but all join in sending her heartiest congratulations. Mrs. Klennert attended the Palacios High school and graduated with the class of ’24, after which she took a business course in Houston since which time she has had almost continuous employment. For the past two years or more she has been in West Texas, first at Midland and later at Toyah, where she met the man who wooed and won her for a life companion.

Mr. Klennert has a lucrative position with the Texas & Pacific R. R., a place he has held for some time in Toyah, where they will make their home.

Palacios Beacon, February 13, 1930
 


KRIDNER – DEEK

Mr. Levi Kridner and Miss Bessie Deek of this city were united in marriage last evening at 8:30 o’clock in the presence of several guests and friends at the Baptist parsonage, the Rev. H. C. Morrison officiating.                        

The
Matagorda County Tribune, November 24, 1911
 


LAKE – WEIDERMYER

Married at Collegeport, at 7 o'clock on last Tuesday morning Miss Nellie Weidemyer and Mr. George Lake, Rev. John Sloan performing the marriage service according to the rites of the Episcopal church.

Grace Chapel was beautifully decorated for the occasion and a goodly number of friends of the contracting parties were there to witness the nuptials and speed the happy couple on their voyage o'er Life's seas.

Miss Weidermyer is one of the popular young ladies of Collegeport, and the groom was formerly resident there but is now a promising young business man of Beaumont.

The newly wedded couple left immediately for a bridal tour to Virginia where they will visit relatives of Mr. Lake before returning to Beaumont.

Mrs. Weidermyer, mother of the bride, accompanied the bridal party as far as Bay City, on her way to visit friends at her former home in Missouri.

The Matagorda County News and Midcoast Farmer, September 12, 1914
 


LANGSTON - BUCK

Miss Jewel Langston, of Francitas and Arvid Swanson, of Olivia, were united in marriage here last Wednesday, May 17, at the home of the officiating minister, Rev. C. F. Conner. On May 5, a brother of Wednesday's bride, Watts Langston and Miss Lucile Buck were united in marriage by Mr. Conner. The Beacon joins the many friends of both enjoying couples in extending congratulations and best wishes.

Palacios Beacon, May 25, 1933
 


LANGWORTHY – MILBY
 

MARRIED, at Indianola, on the 22d instant, by Rev. C. H. Albert, Rector of Christ Church Matagorda, Lieut.-Sergeon Elisha P. Langworthy, U.S.A., to Miss Mary Josephine Milby, of the former place.                                                   

The Matagorda Gazette
, February 29, 1860
 


LAUDERBACK – HARRISON

Mr. A. E. Lauderback, of Palacios, and Miss Eleanor C. Harrison, of Bay City, were married at the Presbyterian church in Bay City Wednesday in the presence of a large company of friends and relatives, including the parents of the bridegroom, Mr. and Mrs. A. J. Lauderback, of Valparaiso, Ind., who are here on a visit to their son. The bride is a member of one of the well-known and leading families of the county seat. After a short wedding trip, Mr. and Mrs. Lauderback will be at home on their farm west of the city near Turtle Bay. The Beacon joins with their many other friends in extending to Mr. and Mrs. Lauderback hearty congratulations and well wishes for their future happiness and prosperity.

Palacios Beacon, July __, 1913
 


LAWSON – SCHLEY

Mr. Grover Lawson and Miss Esma Schley, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. J. H. Schley, both well-known and popular young people of the city, were married Saturday evening at 4 o’clock at the Presbyterian manse by the pastor, Rev. J. P. Green. They left Sunday morning for Rosebud, where the groom, formerly a Palacios boy, has recently located, and where they will make their future home. They have many friends who join the Beacon in offering congratulations.

Palacios Beacon, September 29, 1911
 


LAWSON – KREUGER

Mr. LeRay Lawson and Miss Katherine Kreuger, both well-known and popular young people of Palacios, were united in marriage Saturday evening, the 16th inst., at 8:30 o’clock at the M. E. Parsonage, the pastor, Rev. Myers officiating. The young couple will continue to make their home in this city. They were given an impromptu serenade by a company of the younger set Saturday, which the groom cut short by doing the honors . . . . . . . [unable to read] the congratulations and earnest well wishes of many friends at Palacios and elsewhere.

Palacios Beacon, May 22, 1914
 


MURDOCK – LAWSON

Matagorda, Texas, December 28.—A wedding around which a great deal of interest centered was that of Miss Nell Murdock to Mr. Sam Lawson, which occurred on Tuesday, December 25, at 12:30, at the home of the bride. Only the immediate members of the families and a few intimate friends witnessed the ceremony which was performed by Rev. L. E. Selfridge of Bay City.

At the appointed hour Miss Marie Zipprian sang De Hardelot’s “Because” in her beautiful voice to the accompaniment of Mrs. Jas. Nye Ryman. Then to the strains of the wedding march from “Lohengrin,” little Virginia Ryman entered scattering petals of yellow chrysanthemums from a basket trimmed with big yellow bows of tulle, the same color being the motif of her costume. Next entered Miss Vera Burke, the bridesmaid, in a handsome blue coat suit, with a picture hat bearing a shower bouquet of fern and yellow flowers. Accompanying her was Mr. Arthur Culver, the best man. Next came the bride, lovely in her beautiful suit of blue cloth with tiger fur trimmings, black hat with gold and bearing a shower bouquet with yellow predominating, then the groom in conventional black.

After the ceremony, the company was served with chocolate and cake. The bride and groom then departed for Houston, where they will spend a few days.

Miss Murdock is counted one of the very prettiest brides Matagorda has ever given and is loved for her sweetness and earnestness of character by everybody in her acquaintance. While the family has resided here but a few years, they have endeared themselves to the community in many ways.

Mr. Lawson is a thriving young cattleman, respected by all and a member of one of the oldest and best families in this part of the State.

They are attended by the best wishes of the entire community.

The Matagorda County Tribune, January 7, 1916
 


LEWIS – HAWKINS

Charming simplicity marked the solemnization of the marriage of Miss Meta Hawkins and Jas. C. Lewis, the ceremony being performed by Rev. John Sloan yesterday afternoon at 3 o'clock at St. Mark's Episcopal Church.

Loving hands had converted the organ loft and chancel into a veritable bower of roses and ferns, making a fitting environment for the beautiful and impressive service.

The bride and groom, unattended, entered from the vestry as the strains of Lohengrin's wedding march pealed forth, with Miss Marguerite Hamilton at the organ.

The lovely bride was attired in a becoming tailored suit of brown cloth, black hat, shoes, gloves and accessories in harmony. Her only ornament was a beautiful pearl broach, the gift of her aunt, Mrs. Brodie of North Carolina. The brooch was a gift to Mrs. Brodie from her father, Col. J. B. Hawkins, at her own wedding.

The radiantly happy couple was accompanied to the train by a large crowd of well-wishers who liberally be-sprinkled them with rice as the train left the station. They left over the Frisco for New Orleans and will be at home in Bay City after November 1.

The bride tossed her bouquet of white roses, carnations-ferns just as they were leaving, and it was caught by Miss Janie Hawkins.

This wedding unites two of Matagorda County's oldest and best families. The bride is the eldest daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Frank Hawkins Sr. and is loved by all who know her for her many graces of heart and mind. She is an interested and active worker in everything that stands for the good of the community.

The groom is a young man of sterling worth and occupies the responsible position of cashier of the First National Bank.

Many handsome presents were received, attesting the popularity of both and a bright and happy future is the wish of their friends who are legion.

The Matagorda County Tribune, October 19, 1917
 


LEWIS – BEST

Mrs. H. C. Lewis informs us this week of the marriage of her sister, Miss Iva Best, to Mr. Thomas M. Lewis, Jr., which occurred in Waco on Jan. 1, 1935.

Mrs. Lewis is the youngest daughter of Mr. and Mrs. S. T. Best, citizens of Palacios many years, before moving to Waco, where they have made their home for some time.

Mr. Lewis is connected with the Waco Times-Herald and is a prominent young man of his home town and community. The bride has a host of friends here with whom the Beacon joins in extending hearty felicitations.

Palacios Beacon, January 31, 1935
 


LIGGETT-SPENCE NUPTIALS

A very pretty home wedding took place at the home of Mr. and Mrs. J. M. Spence, in Buckeye, at 10 o’clock Wednesday morning, December 2nd. when their oldest daughter, Agnes Elizabeth, was united in marriage to Lester Emerson Liggett, of Collegeport, by Rev. L. E. Selfridge of Bay City.

Just a few minutes before the wedding march was played Miss Leone Yerxa sang “At Dawning,” after which she played Lohengrin’s wedding march.

At the strains of the wedding march Rev. Selfridge entered the living room, followed by the groom, the best man and groomsman. Then came the maid of honor, Miss Ethel Spence, followed by the bridesmaid, Miss Anna Spence, after whom came the bride, gowned in white embroidered chiffon, over white charmeuse, leaning on the arm of her father.

The beautiful double ring service was used, the bride’s father giving her away. The bride’s bouquet consisted of brides’ roses and lilies of the valley. The bouquets of the maid of honor and bridesmaid were pink and white carnations.

The house was decorated in white chrysanthemums, white roses, and ferns, green and white being the color scheme. The living room contained a large arch covered with roses, in the middle of which was a large pale green wedding bell.

After the ceremony was over and congratulations were tendered the newly wedded couple, the guests entered the dining room where a very sumptuous four-course breakfast was served.

Immediately after breakfast the bride and groom left for San Antonio, amid a heavy shower of rice and old shoes.

Only a few of the friends of the family and contracting parties were guests at the ceremony and consisted of the following persons: I. M. Glasser and daughters, Misses Mariam and Ruth, Mrs. E. A. Holsworth, Miss Margaret and Jack Holsworth, Mr. and Mrs. Verne Tower, Mr. and Mrs. A. H. Yerxa and daughters, Misses Leone and Lucy.

The bride formerly lived here with her parents, and is a very estimable young lady who is quite well known and has a host of friends in this locality, and the groom is one of the energetic and industrious young pioneers of Collegeport, and well known by everyone in this vicinity, and we but voice the community in extending our congratulations and assuring them a hearty welcome when they return to make their home here, after a short visit in the interior of the state.—Collegeport New Era.                                                               

The
Matagorda County Tribune, December 11, 1914
 


LITTLEFIELD – BROWN

Miss Maggie Brown and Mr. Walter Littlefield were united in marriage at the home of the bride’s parents, Mr. and Mrs. J. A. Brown of Buckeye, Saturday night, Nov. 1.

Mr. and Mrs. Littlefield has a large circle of friends to wish them the greatest happiness throughout their lives.

The young couple departed for their future home at Gulf, Texas.

The Matagorda County Tribune, November 7, 1919
 


LODES – OTTIS

A very beautiful wedding took place in the Catholic church at Bay City Tuesday morning at 9 o’clock, June 6, 1911. The bride was Miss Rose Ottis, the esteemed daughter of Mr. and Mrs. John H. Ottis of Wadsworth, Texas, who formerly resided at Okarche, Okla. The groom is Mr. Joseph Lodes, the youngest son of Mr. and Mrs. John Lodes, one of Okarche’s most popular young men, who is engaged in business at that place. Father Montreuil performed the ceremony. The bride wore very beautiful white satin, trimmed in silver beading, and a bouquet of ferns and Cape jessamine. The groom wore a conventional suit of black. The bridesmaids were her cousin, Miss Nellie Ottis, and her best friend, Edna Hagon. The groomsmen were her brother, John Ottis, and her cousin, Joe Ottis. The bridesmaid, Miss Nellie, wore a castor silk and Miss Edna a yellow silk. Both were trimmed in a beautiful all-over lace.

After the ceremony a very bounteous dinner was served at the Rice Hotel, which was attended by many relatives and friends. Her aunt, Mrs. John Bauster and uncle, Mr. Fred Smith of Okarche, Okla., were also present. The happy couple received a number of useful and valuable presents. They departed for Corpus Christi for a day or two, after which they will return to Mrs. Lodes’ parents at Wadsworth for a short visit, and will then leave for their future home and many relatives and friends at Okarche, Okla. Their many friends here wish them a very happy and prosperous life.                                          

The
Matagorda County Tribune, June 9, 1911
 

A - C          D - G          H - L         M - Q           R - Z


 

Copyright 2008 - Present by Carol Sue Gibbs
All rights reserved

Created
Jan. 1, 2008
Updated
Feb. 4, 2013
   

HOME