Crain, Epamindondas M.
b. 1816 d. 1869
Died of Cholera.
Epamindondas M. Crain had made a trip
to San Antonio in 1869 when the cholera epidemic was raging, contracted
the disease and died a few days after reaching home. His
headstone reveals that he was born in 1816 and died in 1869.
He served during the Civil War and was a private in the 29th Brigade
Texas Troops Confederates States Army. Three other cholera
victims were also buried here during this time, but their identities
are unknown. All the graves of the cholera victims were
completely sealed with rock tombs. The story that
has been handed down is that the citizens of Tilden were so terrified
of cholera that they were afraid it might work up through the
soil and infect others, so they sealed these graves in rock
tombs. How true the story is, no one knows. (Note:
When Renee Smelley visited the cemetery in July 2002 these graves were
evident by the rock tombs that were on top of the ground, but were
falling in and apart.)
b. 1850 d. 1869
Killed in a gun fight at Ft. Ewell.
Greer, Simeon Glenn
b. Dec. 7, 1848 d.Nov. 9, 1874
Thrown from a horse.
Simeon Glenn Greer
07, 1848 - November 09, 1874)
man, said to be seeking adventure, came to Dogtown in 1874.
He was thrown and killed while trying to ride a half tamed
horse. His grave is still evident today (July 2002), as his
family was notified of his death and they sent a iron railing and
marble slab for his grave.
b.1859 d. 1876
McCreery, Samuel Wm.
b. unknown d. 1877
Murdered at his ranch.
b. unknown d.unknown
Murdered and presumed to
be part of the Dalton gang.
b.unknown d. unknown
b. 1830 d. 1870
b. Sep. 13, 1870 d. Oct. 16, 1870
b. unknown d. 1872
Assassinated from door of
old Rock Store. Unknown Killer.
in town on the stage coach had the bad judgment of walking around town
in a top hat. Some men from a local Dogtown saloon took
notice of the tall hat and jokingly decided to put a bullet through the
crown. Clabe Young, one of the pranksters, had bad aim, shot
to low and the unfortunate stranger was killed instantly.
Note: No headstone located.
b. unknown d. 1873
Killed in gun battle in front
of old Rock Store.
b. unknown d.1875
Drown in Nueces River.
of Boothill Cemetery
Boot Hill Cemetery, one of the only two
authentic cemeteries of its kind in the southwest, was named Boothill
because so many of those who were interred there died violently, "with
their boots on." Many of the early graves were those of
people killed in accidents, murdered, died of cholera during the
cholera epidemic in 1869, but some were known to have died of natural
causes. The cemetery was established sometime after Frio Rio
came into existence in 1858. Frio Rio has gone through
several name changes; Dogtown, Colfax and finally Tilden when it was
established the county seat in 1877. The cemetery is located
behind the bank 1/2 a block north of the courthouse plaza on highway 72
and 1/2 block east of State Highway 16.
Tilden was on the
caravan route between San Antonio, Dogtown, Fort Ewell, Laredo and
Mexico. Some time during the Civil War a stage route was also
added and saloons began to spring up in Dogtown. These all
brought many undesirable characters to the town as well as men who were
on the run from the law that used the surrounding area and brush to
hide. Some of these undesirables provided quite a few
occupants for Boothill.
In 1877 Boot Hill
Cemetery was abandoned in favor of the present
Hill Top Cemetery.
Hill Top Cemetery was originally called Graveyard Hill and many early
setters as well as several generations of their descendants have been
buried in Hill Top. Hill Top Cemetery still serves the
Cemetery was neglected for more than half a century. During
this time the "old timers past away, the markers deteriorated, fell
down, became lost and more and more of the Boothill lore and history
went with them. In 1955 when the Cenizo Garden Club was
organized they began at once to clean up and restore the
cemetery. They cleaned the plots, cleared out the brush, and
located as many graves as possible. The grounds were enclosed
by a low border of native stone and the Boothill Cemetery Sign with a
large boot made of masonry mounted on a huge slab of a petrified palm
stump was added to the cemetery grounds. They were also
instrumental in obtaining a Historical Marker, which stands at the
entrance of the cemetery.
McMullen County History (McMullen County History Book Committee, 1981),
Rural Coastal Bend Private Industry Council (A Public/Private
Partnership Helping to Develop A Literate and Skilled Workforce in the
Coastal Bend Area)
by Renee Smelley
William Hindes, a
pioneer in settling of southwest Texas. Born in South Carolina; married
Mary Jane Mason. Moved in 1840's to Alabama, then to Mississippi. With
wife and 6 children came in 1855 by ox-wagon and horse-drawn hack to
Texas. After a year in Lockhart, moved (1856) to this area of
sparse settlements. To have adequate water for cattle raising, tried
living on Ash and San Miguel Creeks. Then settled on the
Frio, where in droughts "wells" were sunk in the river bed.
the Civil War (1861-1865) Hindes and his son George were Confederate
scouts. In that time Indians plundered this area, stealing children and
horses. On Aug. 1, 1865, warning came of a new Indian raid. Neighbors
went to Hindes' home (9 mi. sw) for safety. 6 men took turns guarding
40 horses held in the corral. At daybreak when the Indians attacked,
Moses Hindes was shot to death defending his homestead. Buried at first
in this Boothill, he was later reburied in Pleasanton Cemetery,
Atascosa County. His heirs remain loyal to this area for which Mr.
Hindes died. George, the eldest son, founded the town of Hindes,
Atascosa County. The Hindes & Beever Store, Pearsall, sold
first pear burner ever marketed. Every generation has had men who rode
with Texas Rangers. 1968 Incise in base: Erected by
great-grandchildren, Carrie Hindes Eppright and Leroy Hindes.
all the great help from everyone.