Photo Album: Communities & Landmarks


If you have McMullen County related photographs or ancestral photographs of people and would like to donate a copy for use in the McMullen County Photo Album, please send them to the McMullen County Coordinator


Ancestral photos do not need to have been taken in McMullen County, but must include a person that at one time lived in McMullen County.  Please add any known information in the message of the email such as date(s), location, name(s), brief description etc.......


 Ancestors and Family

 Historical Markers



Click on photos for a larger View


McMullen Courthouse 1877

McMullen County Courthouse built in 1877 when the county seat was officially organized.  Tilden has gone through several name changes.  First called Dogtown, in 1871 was changed to Colfax and in 1877 when the county seat was officially organized the name was changed to Tilden.  This photo was taken in 1925.

McMullen Courthouse 1930

Courthouse photo believed to be taken around 1930 when the new courthouse was erected.  This photo was submitted by Paul Gerdes and was found among his grandfather W. C. Stephenson's possessions.  William Charles Stephenson was a local architect from Beeville in Bee County, Texas and may have designed the building.

McMullen Courthouse 1955 and 2002


The courthouse has gone through remodeling.  Note the chimneys in 1955 that are gone in 2002.

Old Rock Store built 1865

Store on the right.  Built about 1865 by Pat Cavanaugh, Irish stonemason, assisted by Dick Barker. Site of gun battles in Dog Town (now Tilden), "wide open" during lawless era of the 1860's and 1870's. Preserved since 1929 by Clifton Wheeler, owner. Recorded Texas Historic Lankmark, 1966.  This site is now the McMullen County Historical Museum and Archives and is located across the street from the courthouse.

Dogtown Jail built 1880

The Dogtown Jail, first county jail, was built in 1880 at a cost of $2,800.  Dogtown Jail is located behind the courthouse in Tilden.

McMullen County College 1881 - 1897

McMullen College, the county's first private school, was built in 1881.




This site is a genealogy website and is a part of the TXGenWeb Project.