Morris County was created from Titus County in 1875 and Daingerfield was selected as the County Seat. The first courthouse was the first floor of the Odd Fellow Building locate at the corner of Broadnax and King Streets just North of the original "Town Square". The East Line and Red River Railroad crossed the Southern part of the College Plat Addition to Daingerfield in 1877.
In 1881, a group of citizens purchased the present site of the courthouse and presented the lot to Morris County. Within a few years all of the businesses moved from the "Old Town" to the Southeast corner of the College Plat and the adjoining Hinnant Addition. Daingerfield was authorized to incorporate by an Act of the State Legislature in 1871. An election for incorporation was held in 1913 with a vote of 75 for incorporation and 64 against.
Local Places of Interest
Other Places of Interest
- Daingerfield State Park: 581 acres offers boating, fishing and swimming in an 80 acre lake; boat ramp, fishing pier, camping, cabins and hiking trails.
- Morris County Museum: Housed in former courthouse, documents and artifacts describe the history of the county and area.
- Site of Chappel Hill College: Located on Hwy. 259 in Daingerfield near Presbyterian Church.
- Caddo Trace: 1 mile north of marker located on the left of highway, across for entrance to Daingerfield State Park.
- Stephenson' Ferry: Located on Hwy. 67 about 3 miles from Naples toward Texarkana.
- Largest Sweetgum Tree in Texas: Located on Sue Street in Daingerfield.
- Largest Short Leaf Pine: Located at 114 Willis Drive in Daingerfield.
- Largest Wax Myrtle: Located at Daingerfield State Park.
- Cumberland Presbyterian Church: Located at 307 Broadnax Street in Daingerfield.
- Concord Baptist Church: Located off FM Road 144 between Omaha & Hwy.
Planning a research trip to Morris County? Here are some attractions within driving distance for those non-research hours.
Caddo Lake State Park
||245 Park Road 2, Karnack, Texas 75661
||2203 Martin Luther King Blvd., Tyler, Texas 75702
Ferrells Bridge Dam Lake O' The Pines
||Jefferson, Texas 75657
Gardens of the American Rose Center
||8877 Jefferson Paige Road, Shreveport, Louisiana 71119
|Grand Saline Salt Museum
||100 W. Garland Avenue, Grand Saline, Texas 75104
||Pittsburg, Texas 75686
|Northeast Texas Children's Museum
||Hwy. 50 & Culver Street, Commerce, Texas 75429
Sam Bell Maxey House
||812 S. Church Street, Paris, Texas 75460
[ Return to the Main Morris County Page ]