Nacogdoches Texas Flag Home

Searches
Site-Map
What's-New
  Texas Flag
Nacogdoches County
TXGenWeb Project
          Visit: TXGenWeb Project logo           Visit: USGenWeb Project           Visit: WorldGenWeb Project
  County Seat: City of Nacogdoches -- "The Oldest Town in Texas"
All information on these TXGenWeb Project pages are provided FREE for use by genealogists and historians. The TXGenWeb Project pages are the ones where the URL starts with
http://www.rootsweb.com/~txnacogd/.
 

NACOGDOCHES COUNTY, TEXAS
OLD SPANISH CEMETERY


Marker Erected: 1936
Marker Location: Nacogdoches County Court house lawn
Corner of Main (TX Hwy 21) and North St. (U.S. Hwy 59)
Marker Text:

This Court house stands in the Old Spanish Cemetery used from 1800 to 1895. Notable among those whose remains rests here is Antonio Gil Y'Barbo, 1729-1809, founder of Nacogdoches. An outstanding figure in the life of this frontier town at the close of the 18th century, who was captain of militia, military and civil lieutenant, governor, and judge of revenue for the town and district of Nuestra Senora de Pilar de Nacogdoches. In 1783, he published the town's first criminal code.






This Web site is designed and maintained by TXGenWeb Nacogdoches County Coordinator.
Copyright TXGenWeb Nacogdoches County Coordinator, All Rights Reserved.

Additional copyrights may apply to and be noted on individual pages.
Information on these free web pages may be linked to but may not be copied other than for personal, not-for-profit research.
These pages may not be copied, altered, converted nor uploaded to any electronic system or BBS, nor linked from any "pay-for-view" site, or linked in such a manner as to appear to be an internal part of another site including but not limited to "frame" capturing, nor included in any software collection or print collection of any type without the express written permission of the author and artist.
This page last updated: Tuesday, 25-May-2010 14:01:34 MDT