Birdston Community
Navarro County, Texas


HOME


Cities and Towns || Historical Marker


 

Located on Farm Road 416 two miles northeast of Streetman in Navarro County Texas.   It was probably established before the Civil War. In 1866 a Birdston post office opened, and by 1885 the town had two steam gristmill and cotton gin combinations, a sawmill, five churches, and a public school. The estimated population in 1892 was 250. After 1900 the town began to decline; many residents moved to Streetman, on the railroad. In 1909 the Birdston post office closed, and by the mid 1930s the community no longer appeared on highway maps. In 1990 the former town site was marked by only a cemetery and a few scattered houses.

 

See Also:


Navarro County TXGenWeb
Copyright March, 2009
Edward L. Williams & Barbara Knox