Chatfield Community
Navarro County, Texas


HOME


 Cities and Towns


 

Named for Champion Chatfield, an Indian trader, this community is located north of Corsicana in Navarro County Texas.  Perhaps its greatest booster was Capt. Robert Hodge, who moved there in 1852. He was joined by the Herveys, Jeffers, Scoggins, Claytons, Sands and Fortsons. In its heyday, the town had a private school, mills, stores and a blacksmith shop operated by B. F. Lisman, who became widely known for his craftsmanship of sabers during the War. Later residents included the Thorps, Witherspoons, McMullans, Merediths, McCants and Mizells. During the Civil War the post office was called "Muskete" and changed to Chatfield in 1867.

Indexes:

See Also:


Navarro County TXGenWeb
Copyright March, 2009
Edward L. Williams & Barbara Knox