From the collection of Edward L Williams
Located at the junction of State Highway 22
and Farm Road 667, twenty miles west of Corsicana
in Navarro County Texas, was established in 1881, when
the St. Louis Southwestern Railway was built from Corsicana to Hillsboro. The
town was named for Samuel R.
Frost, a local politician and attorney for the
railroad. A post office was opened in 1887, and Henry Jones established a school
the following year. In 1890, Wylie N. Jones built a water works to supply the
town from a nearby lake. He also built a small steamboat, at the time one of the
few on an inland lake in Texas. By the early 1900s, Frost had six cotton gins,
an oil mill, several butcher shops, seven grocery stores, a number of dry-goods
stores, two banks, and three
drugstores. During the 1930s the community
declined, partly because of the Great Depression and residents flight to the
Statistics & Facts as of Nov 2001:
- The only city in Texas that has frost on the water tower everyday of
the year !
- The population of Frost is approximately 579.
- The approximate number of families is 259.
- The amount of land area in Frost is 2.932 sq. kilometers.
- The amount of surface water is 0.013 sq kilometers.
- The distance from Frost to Washington DC is 1246 miles. The distance to
the Texas state capital is 134 miles. (as the crow flies)
- Frost is positioned 32.07 degrees north of the equator and 96.80
degrees west of the prime meridian.
- Zip Codes: 76641
The Weather Channel for Frost, Texas
- Link to:
NCTCOG.org - City of Frost Information