Located on Farm Road 3243 eight miles
southeast of Corsicana in Navarro Count
Texas, Navarro was established in the early 1880s. It was
originally known as Hopewell after the Hopewell Baptist
Church. A school was in
operation there by 1900, and in 1906 it had an enrollment of thirty-three. When
the Houston and Texas Central Railway bypassed the community in the early 1900s,
the town was moved to a site on the railroad and was renamed Navarro. A post
office opened in 1908, and by 1914 Navarro had a cotton gin, three general
stores, two blacksmiths, and an estimated population of fifty. By the mid 1930s
the population had grown to seventy-five, and the town had six stores, a school,
two churches, and a number of houses. After World War II the stores closed, and
by the mid 1960s only a school and a few scattered houses remained. In 1990
Navarro was a dispersed rural community with an estimated population of 193.
Early settlers included H. D. Smith, E. H. Harvard, S. F. Harvard and Wade
Harvard, Robert Tatum, Tom Jones, T. M. Fouty, and P. Goodman families.