Pelham Community
Navarro County, Texas


HOME


Cities and Towns || Historical Marker


 

Located on Farm Road 744 one mile northwest of Navarro Mills Lake and twenty five miles west of Corsicana in Navarro County Texas.  Pelham was settled by newly freed slaves in 1866 when it was called Forks of the Creek. In 1878 the Wesley United Methodist Church was founded. IT housed the first school in the town. The post office opened in 1900 but closed in 1908. Postmaster Lewis Richie's wife renamed the town Pelham for her hometown in Alabama. Pelham flourished during the Navarro County oil boom from 1894 to the 1920s. Its population peaked at 350 in 1926 and declined to twenty five by 1936. From 1966 to 1990 the population was estimated at seventy-five.

See Also:

 


Navarro County TXGenWeb
Copyright March, 2009
Edward L. Williams & Barbara Knox