From the collection of
Located on U.S. Highway 75 and the Freestone-Navarro County line thirteen
miles north of Fairfield. The majority of the town is in Freestone County.
Streetman was established as a station on the Trinity and Brazos Valley Railway
in 1905, and settlement began the next year. The town was named for Judge Sam
Streetman of Houston, a surveyor for the railroad, who also surveyed the town.
In 1907 the post office from nearby Cade was moved to
Streetman. Streetman was
incorporated in 1914. By that time it had two cotton gins, two blacksmith shops,
three churches, a lumberyard, several businesses, and a population of 600. The
Streetman news was published from 1927 to 1940. The population of the town began
to decline after World War II, largely because of crop failures and a general
movement of people from the country to the cities. By the late 1970s Streetman
had five businesses and a population of 239. The schoolchildren were bused to
Fairfield. In 1989 the residents numbered 378 and the businesses seven. In 1990
the population was 260.