James "Jim" Bryson's Note: "The following shows the descendants of Elam Bryson and some specific facts. I have researched this line for about 8 years and have spent a lot of time in court houses, libraries, universities, and visiting cemeteries in: North Carolina, Maury County, Ellis County, Dallas County and other parts of Texas. I have made trips to Salt Lake City and spent hours in front of microfilm readers. I hope this information will assist you."
Some of the information I previously had listed on this line was incorrect. Jim Bryson's research is so well documented that I felt it would be better to post his data verbatim.
Descendants of Elam Bryson
Generation No. 1
1. ELAM3 BRYSON (JAMES2, HUGH1) was born 26 Nov 1807 in Mecklenburg Co., NC1, and died 12 Oct 1859 in Ellis Co, Texas2. He married MARY DOAK MATTHEWS 16 Oct 1834 in Maury County, TN3, daughter of ROBERT MATTHEWS and NANCY MCKIBBON. She was born 14 Dec 1805 in NC4, and died 18 Sep 1877 in Ellis Co. TX.
Notes for ELAM BRYSON:
1845 Elam Bryson makes deposition, to wit in Maury Co., TN Chancery Court Suit, Duke vs Woodward (Sister in
law Nancy K. Matthews m. Wm. P. Woodward))
1850 Titus Co., TX census
1852 Ellis County Pioneers Society recorded JF Bryson as coming to Ellis County in 1852 (Ellis Co. GenWeb Pg.)
January 10, 1852 when he was granted patent no. 3-2244 for 320 acres by the State of Texas.
1 July 1853 moved onto 320 acres of vacant land in Ellis County Texas
17 May 1854 filed for patent for the 320 acres
August 1854 he is listed as an associate court commissioner. The first jail in Ellis County was being specified and
was to cost $1,000. The Ellis County Commissioners Court Records state:
“Volume A, Page 164, August 21, 1854, Presiding the Honorable E. M. Brack, Chief Justice of Ellis County, John Westerbrook and Elam Bryson, two of associate commissioners, Benj. F. Hawkins, Clerk of Court and J.E. Prince, Sheriff….. Plans and specifications of a Jail to be built in the town of Waxahachie.
More About ELAM BRYSON:
Fact 1: 29 Jun 1855, In School Census-Ellis Co.
Fact 2: 1840, Maury Co TN census pg 327 2 males under 5
Children of ELAM BRYSON and MARY MATTHEWS are:
i. ELIZA AGNESS4 BRYSON, b. 16 Jul 1835, Maury County, TN5; d. 11 Aug 1836, Maury County, TN Matthews Cemetary.
2. ii. JOHN FRANKLIN BRYSON, b. 14 May 1837, Maury County, TN; d. 30 Apr 1920, Lancaster, Ellis Co., TX.
3. iii. HENRY ELAM BRYSON, b. 01 Sep 1839, Maury County, TN; d. 25 Oct 1909, Bryson, Jack Co., TX.
4. iv. MARY A. BRYSON, b. 1841, Maury County, TN.
v. MARTHA J. BRYSON, b. 1842, Maury County, TN; d. Aft. 1880, Ceder Hill, Ellis Co, Texas; m. (1) ? BAGGETT, Ellis Co., TX; d. Bef. 1880; m. (2) ISAAC J. LOWE, 28 Mar 1860, Ellis Co., TX.
More About MARTHA J. BRYSON:
Burial: Pleasant Valley Cemetery, Dallas Co., TX
5. vi. THOMAS J. BRYSON, b. 03 Mar 1846, Maury County, TN; d. 28 Sep 1912, Ellis Co, TX.
6. vii. MARGARET TENNESSEE BRYSON, b. 14 Apr 1848, Maury County, TN; d. 07 Sep 1927, Dallas Co., TX.
7. viii. JAMES MATTHEWS BRYSON, b. 04 Jul 1850, Mt. Pleasant, Titus Co., TX; d. 30 Jan 1929, Dora, Nolan Co., TX.
Generation No. 2
2. JOHN FRANKLIN4 BRYSON (ELAM3, JAMES2, HUGH1) was born 14 May 1837 in Maury County, TN6, and died 30 Apr 1920 in Lancaster, Ellis Co., TX. He married NANCY ALEVIA PARSONS 01 Mar 1860 in Ellis Co, Texas, daughter of JAMES PARSONS and MARTHA PATTERSON. She was born 20 Oct 1842 in Lincoln Co., MO7, and died 23 Jan 1935 in Denton, TX8.
Notes for JOHN FRANKLIN BRYSON:
Was a Sargent in the Civil War serving under General Gano. His brother Henry Elam Bryson was a private in the same unit.
More About JOHN FRANKLIN BRYSON:
More About NANCY ALEVIA PARSONS:
Fact 1: 1841, parents from West Virginia or VA or MO
Fact 2: 1844, Moved to Texas
Fact 3: 1853, Moved to Ellis Co
Fact 4: 1927, Confederate Pension #43370 TX
Fact 5: 1935, Died in Denton at Etta Voorhees (granddaughter)
Children of JOHN BRYSON and NANCY PARSONS are:
i. MARTHA (MATTE)5 BRYSON, b. 1862; m. WILLIAM T. ROGERS; b. 03 Mar 1861, TN; d. Olney, OK.
8. ii. WILLIAM ELAM BRYSON, b. 04 Apr 1866, Ellis County, Texas; d. 05 Aug 1942, Ellis Co., Texas (Shiloh).
9. iii. CASSIE BRYSON, b. 04 Aug 1869, Ellis Co, Texas; d. 01 Oct 1907, Ellis Co, Texas.
10. iv. DR. CHARLES D. BRYSON, b. 11 May 1875, Ellis Co, Texas; d. 31 May 1939.
11. v. JOHN CHESTER BRYSON, b. 1879; d. 1962, Garfield Co., OK (N. Marshall IOOF Cemetery).
vi. HENRY F. BRYSON, b. Infant.
3. HENRY ELAM4 BRYSON (ELAM3, JAMES2, HUGH1) was born 01 Sep 1839 in Maury County, TN9, and died 25 Oct 1909 in Bryson, Jack Co., TX. He married MARY ANN COPE 23 Jan 1867 in Dallas Co., TX. She was born 30 Mar 1847 in Quincy, Adams, IL, and died 31 May 1934 in Bryson, Jack Co., TX.
Children of HENRY BRYSON and MARY COPE are:
12. i. ANDERSON DOAK5 BRYSON, b. 14 Dec 1868, Mountain Peak, Ellis, TX; d. 24 Dec 1921.
13. ii. IDA KATE BRYSON, b. 31 Jul 1870, Mountain Peak, Ellis, TX.
14. iii. SALLIE BESSIE BRYSON, b. 20 Dec 1872, Mountain Peak, Ellis, TX.
15. iv. ELDA ANN BRYSON, b. 22 Mar 1875, S. of Mansfield, Tarrant Co., TX; d. 30 Jul 1945.
16. v. HENRY ABNER BRYSON, b. 02 Nov 1880, Wood County, TX.
17. vi. JAMES ROY BRYSON, b. 01 Sep 1884, Jack County, TX.
18. vii. BARNEY BERT (BLAND) BRYSON, b. 22 Dec 1886, Jack County, TX; d. 10 Oct 1975.
4. MARY A.4 BRYSON (ELAM3, JAMES2, HUGH1) was born 1841 in Maury County, TN. She married WILLIAM R. BAGGETT 01 Feb 1872 in Ellis Co, Texas. He was born 1832, and died 04 Sep 1876 in Ellis Co, TX (Shiloh).
Child of MARY BRYSON and WILLIAM BAGGETT is:
i. LEE5 BAGGETT.
5. THOMAS J.4 BRYSON (ELAM3, JAMES2, HUGH1) was born 03 Mar 1846 in Maury County, TN, and died 28 Sep 1912 in Ellis Co, TX. He married MARY L. RUST 04 Oct 1881 in Ellis Co, Texas, daughter of V.G. RUST? and MARY ???. She was born 16 Mar 1860 in MO, and died Oct 1917 in Ellis Co, TX.
Children of THOMAS BRYSON and MARY RUST are:
i. GEORGE L.5 BRYSON, b. 1884.
ii. MARY A. BRYSON, b. 1886.
iii. DRUILLA BRYSON, b. 1889.
iv. JOSIE K. BRYSON, b. 1892.
v. ESSIE R. BRYSON, b. 1894.
6. MARGARET TENNESSEE4 BRYSON (ELAM3, JAMES2, HUGH1) was born 14 Apr 1848 in Maury County, TN, and died 07 Sep 1927 in Dallas Co., TX. She married WILLIAM M. RAPE 15 Jan 1865 in Ellis Co., TX. He was born 08 Mar 1845 in Sangamon Co., IL, and died 21 Mar 1908 in Dallas Co., TX.
More About MARGARET TENNESSEE BRYSON:
Burial: Pleasant Valley Cemetery, Dallas, Co., TX
Notes for WILLIAM M. RAPE:
William Rape served in Captain Veal's Company, Parson's Brigade in the Confederate Army and died March 21 1908 leaving a large family near Cedar Hill. William was an infantry soldier, and was wounded in a battle in
Source: Excerpt from a history of greater Dallas and vicinity, Volume 11; Cedar Hill History Book.
More About WILLIAM M. RAPE:
Burial: Pleasant Valley Cemetery, Dallas Co., TX
Children of MARGARET BRYSON and WILLIAM RAPE are:
i. JOHN F.5 RAPE, b. 1868.
ii. HENRY J. RAPE, b. 1872.
iii. MATTIE RAPE, b. 1881.
iv. ELAM F. RAPE, b. 1883.
7. JAMES MATTHEWS4 BRYSON (ELAM3, JAMES2, HUGH1) was born 04 Jul 1850 in Mt. Plesant, Titus Co., TX10, and died 30 Jan 1929 in Dora, Nolan Co., TX11. He married AMANDA MELVINA SENTER12 12 Nov 1868 in Newton Co., Mo.. She was born 04 Jan 1842 in NC12, and died 16 Jun 1914 in Dora, Nolan Co., TX13.
Notes for JAMES MATTHEWS BRYSON:
1850 Census - Titus Co. TX, not listed in Elam Brison household, but 1900 Nolan Co. TX census indicates he was
born in July 1850, missed the cut-off date for the census of June 1, 1850
1860 Census - Ellis Co. TX, J.M. Bryson, 10, born in TX - M.D. Bryson household along with siblings.
18xx - Ellis Co. TX deeds show James M. Bryson and Amanda Malvina as his wife.
1870 Census - Johnson Co. KS, James Bryson 20 TX Farmer, Malvina, 24 NC Keeping house, Mary D., 9/12 KS
1880 Census - Hamilton Co. TX, J.M. Bryson, 29, b. TX farmer - wife Melvina, 30 NC - Mary D. dau.10 KS, S.C. dau.
8 TX, John E. son 6 TX, Alice dau. 4 TX, Martha dau. 1 TX
1880 J.M. Bryson is postmaster in Ohio, Hamilton County, TX from 14 Nov. 1880 to 14 Apr 1891
1890 Census - no census
1891 came to Nolan Co. hunting Buffalo
1894 Amanda Malvina is postmaster or Dora, TX from 23 Aug 1894 to 31 Dec 1904 - JM was postmaster from 31
Dec 1904 to 1 Mar 1911
1900 Census - Nolan Co. TX, James M. Bryson 49 TX Stock Raiser, wife Amanda M. 50 VA
1910 Census - Nolan Co. TX, (need data)
1911 Sweetwater City Directory, R.L. Polk & Co.'s - Listed under farmers on p. 127 "Bryson, J.M., Dora"
1920 John F. Bryson obituary lists brother J.M. Bryson from Dora attending funeral. Dora was in Nolan Co., TX
1920 Census - Nolan Co. TX, James M. Bryson 69 TX general farming, wife Mary M. 33 AR, Edith dau 15 OK,
Ernest son 13 AR (new wife and children must be Mary M.'s
1929 JM dies on January 30, 1929 in Dora
More About JAMES MATTHEWS BRYSON:
Burial: Dora Cemetery
Notes for AMANDA MELVINA SENTER:
Parents both born in NC
1894 Amanda Malvina is postmaster or Dora, TX from 23 Aug 1894 to 31 Dec 1904 - JM was postmaster from
31 Dec 1904 to 1 Mar 1911
More About AMANDA MELVINA SENTER:
Burial: Dora Cemetery
Children of JAMES BRYSON and AMANDA SENTER are:
i. MARY D.5 BRYSON, b. 1870, KS14.
ii. S.C. BRYSON, b. 1872, TX14.
19. iii. JOHN E. BRYSON, b. Mar 1875, TX.
iv. ALICE BRYSON, b. 1876, TX14.
v. MARTHA MELVINA BRYSON, b. 1879, TX15; m. THOMAS COLEMAN JINKENS, JR..