Search billions of records on Ancestry.com

Ochiltree County Historical Markers

"The Buried City"
Buried City Site (41OC1), Perryton
Colonel William B. Ochiltree
First Sanitarium
George Morgan Perry, Perryton
Museum of the Plains, Perryton




"The Buried City"

Marker Location: from Perryton take US 83, south about 10 miles; turn east onto Fryer Lake Road; marker located on private ranch on south side of road

Marker Text: In 1907, Dr. T.L. Everly, Floyde V. Studer and other archaeologists discovered here, "The Buried City." These Pueblo ruins were built by the Panhandle Pueblo Indians who were argriculturists, stone house builders, pottery and basket makers. Dr. Warren K. Moorehead partially excavated this ruin in 1919-1920. Some archaeologists and historians agree that the well-built stone houses were in ruins when Coronado explored this region in 1541. (1936)



Buried City Site (41OC1), Perryton

Other Name: 410C1;Handley Ruin

Historic Function: DOMESTIC; FUNERARY
Historic Subfunction: VILLAGE SITE; GRAVES/BURIALS

Period: 1499-1000 AD



Colonel William B. Ochiltree

Marker Location: in front of Courthouse, Main Street, Perryton

Year Marker Erected: 1963

Marker Text: Secretary Treasury and last Attorney General Republic of Texas. Secession convention delegate 1861. Influential member provisional congress which drafted Confederate constitution, mobilized manpower, set up financial structure, elected political leaders.

Resigned to raise 18th Texas Infantry. Led troops to Arkansas in 1862 when regiment called in campaign to repel Union forces from state. A Memorial to Texans who Served the Confederacy Erected by the State of Texas 1963.



First Sanitarium

Marker Location: 221 S. Baylor, Perryton

Year Marker Erected: 1963

Marker Text: Enclosed: Application, The Texas Historical Building Medallion



George Morgan Perry, Perryton

Marker Location: at east side of Perry Memorial Library, 22 SE 5th Avenue -Perryton

Year Marker Erected: 1994

Marker Text: A native of Iowa, George Morgan Perry (1862-1944) moved to the Texas Panhandle town of Ochiltree in 1886. Active in the formal organization of the county, he served as county clerk, district clerk, and county judge.

A supporter of railroad building in the panhandle, he was honored by the Santa Fe Railroad when the town of Perrytown was established on the rail line and named for him in 1919.

He served as first president of the Chamber of Commerce and continued to promote settlement and business development in the city until his death in 1944. (1994)



Museum of the Plains, Perryton

Mailing Address:
Museum of the Plains
1200 N Main
Perryton, Texas 79070

Street Address: 1200 N Main

Area Code: 806
Phone: 435-6400

Contact: Julie Williams
Area Code: 806
Phone Number: 435-6400
Fax Number: 435-5732

Museum Classification: History, Historic House, Non-Historic Structure, Museum Building Type: Historic Structure

Types of Exhibits/Collections: Archeology, Local/Pioneer History

Educational Programs: Guided Tours, School Tours



Texas Historical Commission
http://www.thc.state.tx.us/index.html

Texas Historic Sites Atlas - Search Frames Page
http://atlas.thc.state.tx.us/Atlas/atlas_search_frame.html

Back

This page was last updated March 17, 2003.