Search billions of records on Ancestry.com

Ochiltree County Historical Markers

Ochiltree County
Ochiltree County Courthouse, Perryton
Ochiltree Townsite (Bordering this Highway)
Old Blasingame Home
Sheriff James Sidney Talley
Site of Trading Post, Perryton




Ochiltree County

Marker Location: from Perryton take US 83 about 2 miles, north

Year Marker Erected: 1936

Marker Text: Formed from Young & Bexar Territories: Created, August 21, 1876 Organized, February 21, 1889. Named in honor of William Beck Ochiltree, 1811-1867, Associate Justice, Supreme Court of Texas, 1842, Secretary of the Treasury, 1844, The Last Attorney General of the Republic of Texas, member of the Texas Legislature, 1855; Delegate to the Secession Convention of 1861, Colonel in the Confederate Army. County Seat Ochiltree, 1889 Perryton, since 1920.



Ochiltree County Courthouse, Perryton

Current Use: Active Courthouse

Construction Date: 1928
Architect: Corlett and Welchons; Hutchinson, Kansas
Style: Art Deco

Substantial Modifications: In 1974 an addition designed by Terrence Doane was completed by contractor Tom Badrow.



Ochiltree Townsite (Bordering this Highway)

Marker Location: from Perryton take SH 70 about 8 miles, south

Year Marker Erected: 1976

Marker Text: This county was created in 1876 and named for noted Texas jurist William Beck Ochiltree (1811-1867). In 1876 it was attached for judicial purposes to Clay and later to Wheeler County. In 1886 pioneers began to settle in dugouts here on the prairies near Wolf Creek, saying they lived "in Ochiltree."

For convenience in making land and tax transactions, and establishing law and order, they organized the county in 1889, making their village the county seat. First elected officials were William J. Todd, county judge; Dave C. Kettell, sheriff and tax collector; George M. Perry, county clerk; Myrtle L. Daily, treasurer.

In 1891 a 2-story courthouse was built (100 yards southeast) of lumber freighted from Dodge City, Kansas. This also served as church, schoolhouse, and social hall for the town. By 1903, Ochiltree had 600 people, churches, a high school, a newspaper, bank, flour mill, and other facilities.

In 1919, the Santa Fe Railway founded a new town between Ochiltree and Gray, Oklahoma, and induced people from both places to relocate by offering free lots. In 1919 steam engines and heavy equipment hauled the improvements from Ochiltree to the new site (8 miles north), called Perrytown, in honor of veteran County Official George M. Perry. (1976)



Old Blasingame Home

Marker Location: 1001 S. Cedar, Perryton

Year Marker Erected: 1967

Marker Text: Built about 1912 in Ochiltree. Designed by Mrs. John Blasingame; 19th Century English, German influence. Constructed by Sam Whittaker; lumber and red brick hauled from glazier. Luxurious home had attic, full basement. Heavy embossed picture moulding. Contained much intricate glass work -two leaded stained glass windows, of Bavarian design, on sides of living room mantels. Was moved to Perryton, 1961, by the Willard McLarty family. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark, 1967.



Plainview Hardware Company Building, Perryton

Address: 210 S. Main St.
Architect: Berry,Joseph Champ
Architectural Style: ART DECO
Historic Function: COMMERCE/TRADE

Narrative: The 1930 Plainview Hardware Company Building is a 2- story, masonry Art Deco commercial building with a rectangular plan and a flat metal-covered roof. Constructed of reinforced concrete frame and floors, the building has a steel trussed roof. A veneer of dressed limestone on the front and common-bond brick on the sides and rear finish the exterior of 25 by 140 feet enclosing more than 10,000 square feet of floor space. The building fronts east onto South Main Street in the central business district of Perryton, Texas.



Sheriff James Sidney Talley

Marker Location: Ochiltree Cemetery, in southwest section of old cemetery, Block 133, Lot 4 -Section A

Year Marker Erected: 1967

Marker Text: Born near Washington-on-the-Brazos; moved 1901 to Ochiltree County. As sheriff, 1908-1944, he used free-wheeling methods and never carried a gun. It was said that generosities kept him poor. At retirement he held record for longer continuous service than any other Texas sheriff. An expert judge of livestock, also ranched throughout career. Did considerable welfare work in retirement years. A Mason, he married Mamie Richardson. Recorded, 1967.



Site of Trading Post, Perryton

Marker Location: from Perryton, take US 83, about 10 miles south; turn east onto Fryer Lake Road and continue 1.6 miles to marker

Year Marker Erected: 1936

Marker Text: Established by C.E. Jones in 1874 on the Jones & Plummer Trail which extended from Dodge City, Kansas, to Mobeetie. Here food and cloth were traded to Indians for hides and later ranchmen purchased general supplies hauled from Dodge City. (1936)



Texas Historical Commission
http://www.thc.state.tx.us/index.html

Texas Historic Sites Atlas - Search Frames Page
http://atlas.thc.state.tx.us/Atlas/atlas_search_frame.html

Back

This page was last updated March 17, 2003.