History of Towns in Parker County
The town was named for Agnes Mull, the daughter
of a pioneer physician in the Agnes Community. Agnes was first
settled in 1877 and was first known as Barnard's Store because
B. Barnard owned the first store there. On July 7, 1879 a post
office was established with tri-weekly mail service from Weatherford. The
Methodist Church at Agnes was established in 1885 and the Baptist
Church in 1889. There were several Indian attacks around
Agnes. The attacks on the James mcKinney family, Jack
Culwell, Mr. and Mrs. Isaac Brisco were near Agnes. The
right hand man of Sam Bass, Arkansas Johnson, was killed near
Brock was first settled in 1876 by Monroe Maddux
who came to Parker County from Arkansas. Mr. Maddux bought
200 acres of land about eleven miles southwest of Weatherford. He
deeded to the trustees of the Olive Branch School Community and
their successors two acres of land for school and church purposes. Many
of the business in Weatherford gave money to help build the first
school. The Baptist Church in Weatherford solved a major problem
by donating old seats. John Jones was the first teacher
in the new school. James Garrett taught the second year
and Cicero Maddux, son of Monroe Maddux, taught the third year. Mr.
Estel, a Baptist preacher selected Olive branch as the community
school name. About 1892, the post office was established
by J.M. Cherry and the name was changed to Brock. In 1889,
henry Brock and Willie Brannon built a gin and mill at Grissum
Springs. Riley Davis built a store so groceries could be bought
close to home. In the summer of 1878, the Baptist built
a brush arbor, held a revival and organized a church. The Methodist
organized a church later that summer.
Originally named Cartersville or Carterville, Carter was established in 1866 after the Civil War. It had a flour mill, cotton gin, general store, blacksmith shop, school and church. The post office opened in 1888. There are several memorial granite markers on the site which tell the history of gun fights and Indian raids. The legendary Texas cattleman, Charles Goodnight, once had his headquarters in Carter. Now there is a historical marker in front of the two remaining buildings.
Dennis was started in 1892 when the Post Office
was established and the Flinn-Moyer suspension bridge was built
across the Brazos. It was named for Judge M.M. Dennis who owned
property on the south side of the river. The "Judge" operated
a General Store there for several years. Roy Brown and Sam
Nash operated the Cotton Gin until the middle 1940s.
Millsap was laid out in 1880 by G.M. Dodge on land
transferred to him by John Waddington about 15 miles west of Weatherford. It
was named in honor of Fuller Millsap, one of the first settlers
in western Parker County. One of the first merchants was
Mr. Chitwood in 1880, then Mr. Davis who kept the store and post
Poolville took its name from a large pool of spring-fed
water which was located east of where the town now stands. As
settlers cultivated the land around it, the pool eventualy disappeared. However
in it's time it was a watering hole for large herds of cattle
on their way to West Texas and New Mexico and also herds from
South Texas on the trail to the northern markets. In 1877
the first Baptist Church was organized by Missionary Baptist,
Rev. J. F. Head. The first school dates from 1903, but in 1879
W.T. Baggett was a teacher, possibly a private tutor, in Poolville.
Doc Clark opened the first saloon in 1880. M. L. Scott opened
a sawmill in 1877. The post office was established in 1882. The
Poolville Hotel, owned and operated by A.H. Dunn, was established
in 1891 and had accommodations for those traveling through Poolville.
A wagon yard and camp house was also run for the teams of traveling
men with plenty of feed and water. The Hotel was later sold
to D.M. Waters. In 1905, a private bank was organized with
$10,000 capitol. The first officers were: President, Jack
Holland; Vice President, J.F. Head; and Cashier, W.T. Houser.
In 1906, there was a photograph gallery run by U.S.
Patmon; a pharmacy and stationery store whose owner was W.I. Bullington;
Joe Davenport's gin; Roundtree and Franklin's General Merchandise;
Turpin and Upton (later Upton & Upton); Lewis and Taylor,
Blacksmiths; W.M.Deal, Saddler and Harness Maker; and Waters Bros.
Restaurant. When the expected railroad line failed to come
through, Poolville citizens gradually moved away. Poolville
is now a smaller but still thriving community.
Veal's Station was founded sometime before 1857 by Reverend
William H. Veal from Tennessee. William Woody, the first permanent
settler in Parker County, came to live near Veal's Station about
1854. At that time the county was a semi wilderness. Located a
mile or so east of State Highway 51, which runs between Weatherford
and Springtown, it is at the intersection of two county roads,
one running east from Highway 51, and the other running due south
out of Springtown. According to The Handbook of Texas , "Veal's
Station, Texas, one of the oldest settlements in Parker County,
was located 12 miles north of Weatherford on the old fort Belknap
road. When the first settlers, including Captain William
G. Veal, arrived in 1852, the place was known as Creamlevel or
Cream Liel. In 1858 a 2-story frame building was constructed to
serve as school, church and town hall, and Veal moved his store
closer to the school. The community became known as Veal's Station.
The school building remains as a relic of pioneer days. In 1936
the state of Texas erected a marker at the site." The exact
date that Rev. Veal arrived from Tennessee is unknown but all
agree that Veal's Station was the oldest town in Parker County.
Early citizens included:
Rev. William H. Veal
B.W. Akard, school teacher - served 4 years as County Clerk
B.C. Tarkington, merchant - served as County Treasurer
[an error occurred while processing this directive]
This page was added on April 1, 2000