History of the Point Church of Christ
1894-2005
Submitted by Phillip Kerr

Pictures

The first church in Point was built in 1894 and known as the Union Church. Lumber was brought in from a saw mill in Quitman by wagons to build this building. Much of the materials were paid for by farm products, mostly hay and the labor was provided largely by members of the several churches. This new building was used by four different churches for services until 1913. The Church of Christ met there at 2:00 pm on Sundays. From 1913 until about 1932 this building was used by the Baptist, Presbyterian and Church of Christ.

In about 1932 a new building was erected for the Union Church. At this time it was still home to the Baptist, Presbyterian and Church of Christ. The Church of Christ still had the afternoon Sunday service.

In 1951 the Church of Christ purchased land across the road from the Union Church and erected its own building. This structure was built with volunteer labor, except for George Tuttle, who was a carpenter and a member of the church. He worked on the construction and also taught others what was needed. Some of the volunteers included Ray Shepherd, Monroe Hooten, Ike Dunn, Doc Cunningham, Aub Porter and others. Several young boys helped after school including Joe Don Shepherd, Grady Shepherd, John Dale Porter, Bobby Hooten, and others. It took about four months to complete the construction. Two weeks later, V. E. Howard from Greenville, held the first gospel meeting in this building. V. E. Howard came and preached on Sundays for a while and Bro. Henry Smith came a lot and preached.

In 1966-67 the front part was added by Buddy Williams. This added rest rooms and two classrooms. Lester Ragan was the preacher at that time.

Over the years members came from Lake Tawakoni, Oak Grove, Cody and Lynch.

A fellowship building was built in 1987. Charley Floyd and local members did the work. In 2003 and 2004 the church purchased the two adjoining lots on the north east corner which had two residential houses that were moved off and the lot on the south west corner which had a grocery store and gas station that was torn down. This land was purchased for build this a new building and parking lots. Buddy Williams moved a house on his lot (joining the SE corner of the church lot) to a lot on the NE corner of 1st Street and Ave A. Part of the store / gas station lot was then swapped with Buddy Williams for part of his lot, giving the Church a rectangle lot that spans from 1st to 2nd Street and joins the southern boundary of the church lot.

On April 4, 2004 the church held a ground breaking for a new building. Once everything was ready, July 18, 2004, the congregation began meeting temporarily in a part of the Point Shopping Center and the building and fellowship hall were demolished. Matt Oualline, an architect and member of the congregation, served as the architect and general contractor for the construction. Much of the work was performed by contractors with a group of members and volunteers known as the Cotton Patch Crew working to complete much of the structure. Some members of the Cotton Patch Crew included Leighton Hooten, Dale Hooten, Larry Hooten, Wayne Garner, Jimmy Hooten, Lance Hooten, Scott Hooten, Todd Hooten, Matt Oualline and Jack Harman The congregation moved into the new building on May 22, 2005 and held a celebration service on June 5, 2005 and invited the entire community for Bible classes, Worship, a BBQ lunch under a large tent, a community singing service and afternoon devotional.

Some of our previous ministers were Lester Ragan, Allen Green, Henry Smith, Donald Reidheimer, Wayne McDonald, Ray Hunter, Paul Baily, Jerry Ironwine and Jerry Jackson.

Some of our previous members were:

Dock and Georgie Cunningham

Ike and Alice Dunn

Marvin and Connie Cunningham

Cleo and Ruby Jackson

George and Marie Tuttle

Ray and Zora Shepherd

Mr and Mrs Ben Thompson

Mrs. Houston

Willie Shepherd

Grace Hudnell

Ruth Burchett

Henry and Ruth Smith

Aub and Elvira Porter

Shorty and Mary Porter

Elmer and Fay McKinney

Kelly and Audry McKee

Hartsel and Parl Porter

Lumey and Molley Porter

Leah Parker

Homer and Jessie Huen

Wesley and Florence Plummer

Ross and Awnty Robinson

Rhiley and Lillian Graham

Cecil and Dulcie Spencer

Curtis and Dovie Spencer

Lallie Porter

Johnny and Floy Rosseter

Avril and Ola V. Fenter

Billy and Pauline Rivers

Wyatt and Ruby Porter

Ben and Duron Cason

Monroe and Louise Hooten

Enos Hooten

Mary Sheppard

Hazel Parrish

Sara Rivers

Dock and Georgie Horton

Back   Home