Aug 1866","Catonville","This cemetery is
located in the southwest quadrant of Red River County, Texas.
GPS COORDINATES: Datum WGS84: 33 Deg 37.172N, 95 Deg 12.189W,
El 451 ft. This cemetery is located about 7 or 8 miles west of
Clarksville on the John Guest Survey. From Clarksville take Hwy
82 West to a large sign pointing to the Jan-Kay Ranch, then turning
south onto CR 1270 for 8/10 mile. There is a gate into a pasture
on the right which is locked. John Somerville, who lives nearby,
has a key. The cemetery is in this pasture just over the little
hill in a southwesterly direction about 4/10 mile. It was started
in the 1860's by John Ayers Chambers and the first grave was
that of Dick Mosley, who was overseer for John Ayers Chambers.
Mosley came to Texas in 1858 and settled on the edge of Guests'
Prairie. The black cemetery is to the south and contains some
graves of slaves and ex-slaves. No markers remain there in 1999.
This was the burying ground for the community for many years.
There was a deed to Chambers Cemetery on 27 Jul 1901 and recorded
on 2 Aug 1901 for 1/2 acre of the John Guest survey from J. L.
Vandyke. On 1 Apr 1920 there was an instrument made transferring
1.25 acres of ground from the John Guest Survey from owner C.
Smith et al to the Chambers Cemetery Association and filed on
21 Apr 1920 in Book CH 100 page 139. The oldest marked grave
is Infant Son of J. H. and M. S. Caton who died on 14 Aug 1866.
On a beautiful fall afternoon, 4 Nov 1999, this cemetery was
surveyed by Lawrence and Sue Dale. We visited the site again
on 1 Mar 2004 and took the GPS readings. We also did a re-walk
of the cemetery looking for new burials and noting marker changes."